Speculation: Trade Deadline Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
It's funny how the narrative has changed. Five years ago or so people were hammering DL for not having the courage to trade future assets for "win-now" players, and now it's the opposite :laugh:

It's all part of the same cycle. Dean has built a very good core and now is the perfect time to show that he can fairly quickly build another championship team around it without re-entering the 'black hole' that was so hard to climb out of in the first place.

My one suggestion, trade or let some guys become UFA rather than hand out the albatross contracts - Brown, Gaborik, Greene and to a lesser extent Lewis, Clifford, Nolan. Trust the development program.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
I consider the contracts of Brown and Gaborik impossible to move at this point. However, if there was any way to move out the contracts of Clifford and Greene, that's $4.1MM in cap savings next year, which is pretty significant.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
No more rentals. But also no more guys with term. That means stand pat. The kings are on the verge of seeing some salary cap daylight in the next two years that they may be able to make a significant move during the summer 2018.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Nash to LA E10

As long as it isn't Girardi

could handle Staal if they want Brown

Don't have a game until March 25, so they have to be looking at something

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Buffalo's GM said they're still working on Kane's office issues. Just thought I post this since some were entertaining the thought of trading for him

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

Yeah, it's likely going to be eaten up by the extensions for Pearson and Toffoli.

The Kings will have about $13.66M in cap space this summer according to Capfriendly.

RFAs this summer include Toffoli, Pearson, Shore, Andreoff, Gravel and LaDue.

UFAs include King, Setoguchi and Budaj. Buried contracts expiring include Purcell, Gilbert and Scuderi.

Whatever cap space they gain with departing contracts will quickly be consumed by re-signings alone.

The cap situation moving forward isn't looking so hot. Next summer they aren't getting much relief either with Greene, McNabb, Nolan, Dowd and Zatkoff all becoming UFAs, with the lone RFA being Forbort.

This is when the team is really going to have to rely on its development because they're going to have to need guys like Kempe, Brodzinski, Mersch, Auger and Amadio to graduate to the NHL within the next season or two.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Yeah, it's likely going to be eaten up by the extensions for Pearson and Toffoli.

The Kings will have about $13.66M in cap space this summer according to Capfriendly.

RFAs this summer include Toffoli, Pearson, Shore, Andreoff, Gravel and LaDue.

UFAs include King, Setoguchi and Budaj. Buried contracts expiring include Purcell, Gilbert and Scuderi.

Whatever cap space they gain with departing contracts will quickly be consumed by re-signings alone.

The cap situation moving forward isn't looking so hot. Next summer they aren't getting much relief either with Greene, McNabb, Nolan, Dowd and Zatkoff all becoming UFAs, with the lone RFA being Forbort.

This is when the team is really going to have to rely on its development because they're going to have to need guys like Kempe, Brodzinski, Mersch, Auger and Amadio to graduate to the NHL within the next season or two.

Not to mention Doughty in 2019. Which is another reason it's very tough to buy out Brown and/or Gaborik, because their dead cap space really shoots up around 2019, 2020, 2021, in that area.

It's a zero-sum game. Something will have to give at some point. Carter, Toffoli, Pearson, Muzzin, Martinez. Those are the guys Lombardi can trade for something good. Nobody needs a $10m cap hit, nobody wants to be the guy that trades Drew Doughty, and nobody needs a $6m goalie on the wrong side of 30 who is signed for 6 more years. Trade those guys now/over the summer for picks and prospects, then in 4 or 5 years when Gaborik and Brown are finally gone, you hope they would have a good young wave to support a 34-35 year old Kopitar, Doughty in his early 30's, and whatever level Quick would be at by that time.

Short of that, it's no cap space, and plugging in some players from Ontario that aren't lighting the world on fire, for at least the next few years.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
The one move that needs to happen is moving King at the deadline. Thanks Dwight, it's been real.......
creepy with that smile of yours.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Not to mention Doughty in 2019. Which is another reason it's very tough to buy out Brown and/or Gaborik, because their dead cap space really shoots up around 2019, 2020, 2021, in that area.

It's a zero-sum game. Something will have to give at some point. Carter, Toffoli, Pearson, Muzzin, Martinez. Those are the guys Lombardi can trade for something good. Nobody needs a $10m cap hit, nobody wants to be the guy that trades Drew Doughty, and nobody needs a $6m goalie on the wrong side of 30 who is signed for 6 more years. Trade those guys now/over the summer for picks and prospects, then in 4 or 5 years when Gaborik and Brown are finally gone, you hope they would have a good young wave to support a 34-35 year old Kopitar, Doughty in his early 30's, and whatever level Quick would be at by that time.

Short of that, it's no cap space, and plugging in some players from Ontario that aren't lighting the world on fire, for at least the next few years.
Which is another reason why I've floated the idea of trading Carter. Yes he's awesome and the best scorer we've had since Palffy, but he's 32, and his value is only decreasing. Same with Muzzin and Martinez, one is going to have to go sooner or later, don't wait until it's too late Lombardi, move one asap.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod 5m5 minutes ago
More
13 teams with scouts/mgmt at Blues/Leafs tonight in Toronto: NAS, LA, WPG, SJ, CAR, MTL, FLA, AZ, BUF, LV, CHI, CGY, TB

I wonder who we are looking at jvr ? kadri ? komarov? or blues ?Patrik Berglund Upshall or Yakupov

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Which is another reason why I've floated the idea of trading Carter. Yes he's awesome and the best scorer we've had since Palffy, but he's 32, and his value is only decreasing. Same with Muzzin and Martinez, one is going to have to go sooner or later, don't wait until it's too late Lombardi, move one asap.

The better one year too early than one year too late school of thought.

yeah, trade away our MVP this year because he is declining. blow it all up! we're done!

Carter isn't the problem. He would just currently be one of the most valuable chips on the team if you're looking at a longer term picture.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Unfortunately, this is exactly the right move to make at this time. There is no point in wasting the productive years Carter has remaining on a team not in cup contention.

The haul Lombardi can get in return by trading Carter is far too great to let him become a wasting asset on this roster.

There was another possibility a year ago, but that ship has sailed.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The better one year too early than one year too late school of thought.

Carter isn't the problem. He would just currently be one of the most valuable chips on the team if you're looking at a longer term picture.

Yes, Branch Rickey was one of the smartest GMs in any sport, bar none.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod 5m5 minutes ago
More
13 teams with scouts/mgmt at Blues/Leafs tonight in Toronto: NAS, LA, WPG, SJ, CAR, MTL, FLA, AZ, BUF, LV, CHI, CGY, TB

I wonder who we are looking at jvr ? kadri ? komarov? or blues ?Patrik Berglund Upshall or Yakupov

Wouldn't mind Yak. Mostly I want to see Sutter try and teach him how to play defense. I still believe it's easier to teach someone how to play a responsible 200 foot game then teach someone like Lewis to shoot like Carter. He'd be a project, but is it any worse then Seto/Purcell?

From Toronto I'd be interested in Kadri, or maybe Nylander! :naughty: Have to think they'd be interested in a D, even though they need RHD.

JVR & Komarov are UFA after next season. Don't see how that helps in the long term.

Don't know what the Kings would offer the Blues? Could have an upgrade at center, but they seem pretty set on defense. Maybe they're looking at a goalie upgrade in Budaj! :laugh:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The escalator was the ultimate factor in the salary cap figure because it was bigger then any effect from some loonie. That was the point. That was always the point. All that research and freaking out and you failed to grasp that it didn't really matter what the Canadian dollar did. All that mattered was, would the players vote for more money. The answer to that turned out to be, YES! I was very shocked to find out people voted for more money.

You're welcome for the explanation. ;)

How much is the cap going down this year?

The percentage of the cap increase was minimal. The cap increase of $1.6M equates to a paltry 2.25%.

http://www.secondcityhockey.com/201...y-cap-2016-free-agency-escalator-clause-nhlpa

The NHL salary cap for the 2016-17 season will be either $71.4 million or $74 million. Bill Daly, the league's deputy commissioner, said Wednesday that the cap will rise to $74 million if the NHLPA agrees to exercise its escalator clause. If the escalator clause is not exercised, the cap will remain at its current upper limit of $71.4 million.

Actually, Daly was wrong. The 2016-17 salary cap came in at $73M, and had the escalator clause not been invoked by the NHLPA, the salary cap would have decreased. There are numerous articles out there providing rationale as to why invoking the escalator clause has a negative impact on the actual salary of the rank and file NHL player. Thus it is very difficult to understand why the NHLPA agreed to invoke the escalator clause last off season.

I don't expect you to do any homework or actually understand any of this.

Model62

Jul 14, 2012
I think some rumors/speculation stated Dean isn't looking for a rental,he doesn't want to give up more assets without term on a contact.I hope he doesn't waste another future or pick on a rental,might as well just hold on til after the season.

Yep. Plus the expansion draft. Don't get crazy, DL.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015

King @ $1,950,000
Purcell @ $1,600,000
Gilbert @ $1,400,000
Scuderi @ $180,625
Nolan @ $950,000
Greene @ $2,500,000
Total: $8,580,625

Plus McNabb @ $1,700,000 if Vegas picks him. Figure $5 million in raises for Toffoli and Pearson.

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland

I agree if Dean is willing to be very aggresive, demanding with trades/cap issues and patient with a very young team.

Probably in the off-season I would think. But, doing it by the trade deadline just might be the remedy for his previous misjudgements (depending on one's opinion).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad