Speculation: Trade Deadline Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
The percentage of the cap increase was minimal. The cap increase of $1.6M equates to a paltry 2.25%.

http://www.secondcityhockey.com/201...y-cap-2016-free-agency-escalator-clause-nhlpa

Actually, Daly was wrong. The 2016-17 salary cap came in at $73M, and had the escalator clause not been invoked by the NHLPA, the salary cap would have decreased. There are numerous articles out there providing rationale as to why invoking the escalator clause has a negative impact on the actual salary of the rank and file NHL player. Thus it is very difficult to understand why the NHLPA agreed to invoke the escalator clause last off season.

I don't expect you to do any homework or actually understand any of this.

Despite doing all your homework you still got it wrong. :help:

It's really hard to figure out that they'd vote for more money, despite that it may not actually help them? Really? It takes a while for a large group to reach a conclusion like that. Until a majority of the group figures it out, they will probably vote for more money. Just basic psychology.

I do love that you have all this information, and articles, proving that you would have been right if you weren't wrong. It's all a waste of time. You look at the things that will have the biggest effect on a number, then you flat out ignore the minimal effects because they don't matter. That's a hard concept to grasp and I've seen plenty of PHD's with varying degrees of OCD not be able to deal with looking past small errors that don't matter.

Here's a good starting point.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Significant_figures
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncertainty

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Yeah, it's likely going to be eaten up by the extensions for Pearson and Toffoli.

The Kings will have about $13.66M in cap space this summer according to Capfriendly.

RFAs this summer include Toffoli, Pearson, Shore, Andreoff, Gravel and LaDue.

UFAs include King, Setoguchi and Budaj. Buried contracts expiring include Purcell, Gilbert and Scuderi.

Whatever cap space they gain with departing contracts will quickly be consumed by re-signings alone.

The cap situation moving forward isn't looking so hot. Next summer they aren't getting much relief either with Greene, McNabb, Nolan, Dowd and Zatkoff all becoming UFAs, with the lone RFA being Forbort.

This is when the team is really going to have to rely on its development because they're going to have to need guys like Kempe, Brodzinski, Mersch, Auger and Amadio to graduate to the NHL within the next season or two.
Gravel is the RFA next season not Forbort. So is LaDue

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
I can't see what we could offer for Duchene not being able to be beat by many other teams

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The following names may be long shots or too costly for the Kings, but here's a list of rumored names who are signed or RFAs who could be on the move on March 1.

Matt Duchene, C/W, 15 goals, 32 points in 45 games, $6M cap hit.

Gabriel Landeskog, LW, 9 goals, 20 points in 40 games, $5.57M cap hit.

Tomas Tatar, LW/RW, 12 goals, 26 points in 53 games, $2.75 cap hit.

Tomas Jurco, RW/LW, 0 goals, 0 points in 15 games, $900K cap hit.

Ondrej Palat, LW, 10 goals, 25 points in 47 games, $3.33 cap hit.

Tyler Johnson, C, 16 goals, 33 points in 54 games, $3.33 cap hit.

Matt Read, RW/LW, 7 goals, 12 points in 40 games, $3.62 cap hit.

Ryan Strome, C/RW, 8 goals, 20 points in 48 games, $2.5M cap hit.

Evander Kane, LW, 16 goals, 26 points in 42 games, $5.25 cap hit.

Marko Dano, LW/RW, 3 goals, 10 points in 28 games, $925K cap hit.

The Kings would have to shed some contracts in order to fit those bigger names, especially with an extension due for Tyler Toffoli and Tanner Pearson.

Or, they can just hang onto whatever they have, waive goodbye to some players and inject some youth in the lineup. Kempe, Brodzinski, Mersch and Auger are knocking at the door for an opportunity in the NHL, and they could offset the likes of King, Setoguchi, Clifford, etc.

When you consider what little assets this team has and what little cap space they have, we are likely dreaming for the moon if we set our sights on names like Duchene and Landeskog. Dean would have to pull a rabbit out of his butt in order to make another big landing like he did when he acquired Jeff Carter.

I just hope he avoids making another Lucic or Sekera type of deal. That is what he needs to steer clear from.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I see nothing has changed for Trolfoli. I said the cap would be stagnant, or might even go down. The cap has been stagnant for 2 years and is not going to rise much if at all next season, but Trolfoli believes the cap going up by a miniscule amount has helped the Kings salary cap situation.

Oh and no, the Kopitar deal doesn't suck, because he'll bounce back to score 15 goals next season. Trolfoli you haven't been right about anything starting from your first post, but keep trying, because even a blind squirrel..., a stopped clock...

The Kopitar contract 100% sucks!!! The only surprise? It started sucking in Year 1 of the deal.

Last edited:

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Pearson, Martinez and ???, just a guess though. Those two pieces could attract some attention, though not sure if Colorado wants to go in that direction. Nobody knows what they're thinking.

Duchene has 15 goals. Despite being in a defense first system, Pearson has 16. Pearson is also on the better contract. Even without Martinez, I would not trade Pearson straight up.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Dean should be a seller at the deadline. Move Martinez or Muzzin for a good young forward not needing to be protected in the expansion draft, and a 1st or 2nd round pick.

Dean needs to do everything he can to hang on to good young players on inexpensive deals, because he has too many mediocre older player on bad contracts no team would want in a trade.

Dean should do everything he can to keep Dowd, Forbort, and possibly McNabb.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
The following names may be long shots or too costly for the Kings, but here's a list of rumored names who are signed or RFAs who could be on the move on March 1.

Matt Duchene, C/W, 15 goals, 32 points in 45 games, $6M cap hit.

Gabriel Landeskog, LW, 9 goals, 20 points in 40 games, $5.57M cap hit.

Tomas Tatar, LW/RW, 12 goals, 26 points in 53 games, $2.75 cap hit.

Tomas Jurco, RW/LW, 0 goals, 0 points in 15 games, $900K cap hit.

Ondrej Palat, LW, 10 goals, 25 points in 47 games, $3.33 cap hit.

Tyler Johnson, C, 16 goals, 33 points in 54 games, $3.33 cap hit.

Matt Read, RW/LW, 7 goals, 12 points in 40 games, $3.62 cap hit.

Ryan Strome, C/RW, 8 goals, 20 points in 48 games, $2.5M cap hit.

Evander Kane, LW, 16 goals, 26 points in 42 games, $5.25 cap hit.

Marko Dano, LW/RW, 3 goals, 10 points in 28 games, $925K cap hit.

The Kings would have to shed some contracts in order to fit those bigger names, especially with an extension due for Tyler Toffoli and Tanner Pearson.

Or, they can just hang onto whatever they have, waive goodbye to some players and inject some youth in the lineup. Kempe, Brodzinski, Mersch and Auger are knocking at the door for an opportunity in the NHL, and they could offset the likes of King, Setoguchi, Clifford, etc.

When you consider what little assets this team has and what little cap space they have, we are likely dreaming for the moon if we set our sights on names like Duchene and Landeskog. Dean would have to pull a rabbit out of his butt in order to make another big landing like he did when he acquired Jeff Carter.

I just hope he avoids making another Lucic or Sekera type of deal. That is what he needs to steer clear from.
I really think the Rangers are scouting Kempe. I'd look at their roster since they've been actively scouting Ontario for awhile now.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

I really think the Rangers are scouting Kempe. I'd look at their roster since they've been actively scouting Ontario for awhile now.

I don't see a fit. The Rangers aren't sellers, and they aren't going to be moving anyone significant for a prospect, as rumor is they're in on Shattenkirk.

Could be something minor with the Kings looking at a guy like Jesper Fast or Oscar Lindberg. The Rangers won't be sellers, so if they're scouting Ontario, they're either looking at making a minor deal or think there's an NHL player down there who they could use.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Maybe the Rangers are seeing if Gilbert or Purcell have anything left to give.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yeah all I could think with these teams scouting Ontario was Purcell, he's clearly an NHLer, just not a fit here. Be nice to get something for him and to get him back into the game. Edit then again, he's been hurt right? so...

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Well, they desperately need a center, and this may be their last real poke at it...

Plus they said the same about us and Sekera :P

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Yeah all I could think with these teams scouting Ontario was Purcell, he's clearly an NHLer, just not a fit here. Be nice to get something for him and to get him back into the game. Edit then again, he's been hurt right? so...

...it's either Gilbert or Scuderi? Or maybe it's Kempe? Tough to get an accurate gauge really, because I could see them wanting MacDermid too.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
...it's either Gilbert or Scuderi? Or maybe it's Kempe? Tough to get an accurate gauge really, because I could see them wanting MacDermid too.

Who would the Kings want from NY? I can't see them trading Kempe unless they're acquiring a mid-20s aged forward who is locked up, and the Rangers aren't going to be offering anyone like that up.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Who would the Kings want from NY? I can't see them trading Kempe unless they're acquiring a mid-20s aged forward who is locked up, and the Rangers aren't going to be offering anyone like that up.

They have some nice players, but can't see them moving anything that the Kings would really want because they're gearing up for the playoffs.

Maybe Brown for Girardi? :popcorn:

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
They have some nice players, but can't see them moving anything that the Kings would really want because they're gearing up for the playoffs.

Maybe Brown for Girardi? :popcorn:

One terrible contract for another? I would have been interested in Girardi 4 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad