Speculation: Trade Deadline: March 8, 2024

Which UFAs do you think will be moved at the TDL?

• Total voters

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
A new coach and new GM gave the players more hope, Torts was coach number 3 in the rebuild. Kind of like when DM/Tip took over(+30 points), or did they reap the rewards from Barnett/TGO? The change in leadership in Tbay helped change the culture.

I've made the only point I care to right now. The team's mindset this season probably wont have an affect on the team's mindset farther on down the road . Why worry about it?

Sounds like you're agreeing with me on that anyways.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
What if the team goes say 2-15 the rest of the way? I would say the last 20 games are a pretty epic collapse. This isn't all on the players or our lack of talent. When is BA or Bear held accountable? What if we finish with 67 points?

It seems like the team is just mailing it in. Maybe the "we are building for the future" mantra has set in with the players? Its pretty clear this years record doesn't matter, most fans on this board think that, apparently BA thinks that too, and Bear, well hard to change the goal: future counts, today does not.

BA kicking the can so far down the road is getting exactly that now. If there is a culture problem, it starts at the top, this is more than just a young teams struggles, more to it then that......
Nah, no lack of effort. Lack of consistency, THE hardest aspect of the game.
Bears job wasn’t going to be easy from the start. Getting a bunch of young players, playing consistently in the NHL (not a development league) is no easy task and typically means the coach will have a short run.

Reactions: Jakey53

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
All teams have nagging injuries, Schmaltz is getting ridiculed because of his salary, Gunts is getting touted because of his "potential". The GM and coach saying, play hard and lets build for the future is really saying we don't care about this season and we don't have high expectations.

BA is getting exactly what the message he sent to the team out of this season. BA should have said " we expect to be in the playoffs or the hunt until the last game of the season. Our goal is the playoffs this year". He never said that. He said we expect to play "meaningful games". You have to believe in a goal before you accomplish it. BA being in year 4 and kicking the can down the road and setting low expectations is part of the problem with on ice expectations and performance.

The coach and the GM have to set the goal for the team. They did, "lets build for the future", this season doesn't matter, the players are responding accordingly.
They set the goal and failed. I don’t like it either, but would you have rather the goal was set higher, thus a more miserable failure?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mosby

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Nah, no lack of effort. Lack of consistency, THE hardest aspect of the game.
Bears job wasn’t going to be easy from the start. Getting a bunch of young players, playing consistently in the NHL (not a development league) is no easy task and typically means the coach will have a short run.
The most important aspect that I’m focusing on as a positive is the fact that Maccelli has not regressed at all his sophomore year…he’s been great almost all year. That and the development of the Cooley/Guenther combo and how well they’ve been playing. Losing sucks but I think the young guns are in good hands and are being coached very well up to this point. I think Durzi, Moser and Kesselring will continue seeing steady improvement as well.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
All in the eye of the beholder. I would say Schmaltz is arguably our second best player, but he still is getting scapegoated for the teams problems. Durzi makes more defensive mistakes than any of our D, Crouse has gone MIA the last month, and Guenther shouldn't be compared after a couple months of NHL play. Kerfoot I would say you have a good case. Love Kerfoot, but I still say if you want to start pointing the finger, there are many players you can look at, not only Schmaltz.
DAMN JAKEY! Congrats! You pretty much look like you know what your’re talking about here….. been a LONG time my friend.

• Haha
Reactions: Coyotes19c

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
The most important aspect that I’m focusing on as a positive is the fact that Maccelli has not regressed at all his sophomore year…he’s been great almost all year. That and the development of the Cooley/Guenther combo and how well they’ve been playing. Losing sucks but I think the young guns are in good hands and are being coached very well up to this point. I think Durzi, Moser and Kesselring will continue seeing steady improvement as well.
Enjoy the 1/2 full glass!

Clayton Keller is seventh on that list. Does make him our seventh best player? Both Keller and Schmaltz have not been good 5vs5 all year.
Too fixated on o-zone possession and looking for the “can’t miss” opportunity.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I get it, but Bear he said repeatedly in interviews and pieces with Morgan that he’s tossing and turning everyday trying to figure out how best to use players and how to be better everyday, and he knows it starts with him. I genuinely believe that he’s turning over every rock he can but there’s only so much that he can realistically do. Aside from the too many men penalties I really can’t justifiably point any fingers at this coaching staff.

This org has rushed prospects since forever in a rush to “hurry up and try to compete. Our lives depend on it!” No one has ever once taken the right approach here to a rebuild and that’s why it has failed every single time. Boedker and Turris were rushed prospects. Mueller probably as well. Tikhonov? Strome was rushed. How many young players have played on this team over the years that have stepped into the league too soon? Even Chych, though he was successful and seemed like he handled it well, you could argue was rushed. Would have been interesting to see how this regime handled him as an 18 year old.
Yet the majority of posters always want the kids playing -
LOL

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Take out your second paragraph and I would agree. :nod: Schmaltz is a .70 PPG player for his career. Those kind or players don't grow on trees.
If you’re talking to the dork that I think you are, he doesn’t know jack squat, always wants to tear shit down, so he can go on and on with proposals.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Schmaltz is who he is, and if he was on a team with a Tkachuk, Marchand, Trouba type or a few guys like that, and he was playing the second line he would be fine. He’s not a scapegoat for the entire team, but when he’s a long tenured player and alternate captain I expect more out of him. As a “leader” and tenured player he is consistently underwhelming. The roster needs to continue to evolve under the culture BA and Bear are building by either phasing players like Schmaltz out, or by insulating them with more heart and soul players that are going to be the true leaders of the team.
So let’s get rid of him because he’d be acceptable on a good team? That’s f***ing hilarious. Dumb ass me thought the goal was to be a good team.
Maybe there should be an enjoy the rebuild cup!

Reactions: cobra427

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Agree. Problem with insulating him with the right types of players is that his salary level hinders our ability to do so. He’s gobbling up like 4mil in surplus budget space above his value to the team.

Thus, my desire to see him traded. Pretty simple. Not very emotional.
What you are saying is not in isolation either. The Athletic has him at a market value of $5.1m. They list his cap hit as salary at $5.9. However, his total salary for the next 2 years is $8.5 per so $3.4m higher than his value if you were to roll with The Athletic's market value.

1710183897790.png

cobra427

May 6, 2012
They set the goal and failed. I don’t like it either, but would you have rather the goal was set higher, thus a more miserable failure?
You won't hit a goal you aren't aiming for. Bear/BA should have said our goal is to make the playoffs, have the players believe that goal. They never said that, never set that as a goal, thats a mistake, and the first reason we didn't hit it.

Last edited:

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
I see people still trying to change others opinions to theirs....good luck with that...keep in mind we each only have 1 asshole and if you insist on someone having your asshole you'll end up being full of shit.

• Haha
Reactions: Kaizen

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
What you are saying is not in isolation either. The Athletic has him at a market value of $5.1m. They list his cap hit as salary at $5.9. However, his total salary for the next 2 years is $8.5 per so $3.4m higher than his value if you were to roll with The Athletic's market value.

View attachment 834138
Okay. So extremely conservatively, he’s 3.5mil over market. I want that money used on a competent defenseman. And that’s just the surplus. There’s still the principle balance to apply.

Reactions: DustyDangler

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
You won't hit a goal you aren't aiming for. Bear/BA should have said our goal is to make the playoffs, have the players believe that goal. They never said that, never set that as a goal, thats a mistake, and the first reason we didn't hit it.
Setting realistic goals helps you achieve the goal and gain positive momentum step by step. Setting too lofty unrealistic goals means there’s a 90% chance of you failing and feeling disappointed and like you haven’t built any momentum. Setting a goal publicly for the playoffs this year would not have been a wise thing to do and I’m glad he didn’t.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
So let’s get rid of him because he’d be acceptable on a good team? That’s f***ing hilarious. Dumb ass me thought the goal was to be a good team.
Maybe there should be an enjoy the rebuild cup!
The point is that by the time the team will actually be worthy of competing on a regular basis for the playoffs and beyond, Schmaltz will be 30+ and on a new contract. If you aren’t planning on resigning the player two years from now and having him apart of your long term plans then why would you not trade him for assets or young players that can help you when you’re entering the next phase and more competitive? Doesn’t make any sense at all. Hold on to him…because why exactly? Unless you want to sign him to a new deal after this one expires.

Reactions: DustyDangler

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I see people still trying to change others opinions to theirs....good luck with that...keep in mind we each only have 1 asshole and if you insist on someone having your asshole you'll end up being full of shit.
Everyone who wants to get all emotional and live and die with every win and loss in a rebuilding season with the youngest team in the league is more than welcome to it…I’m not trying to stop you. This is a venting outlet for some people, I get it that’s cool. Just don’t forget to fly up to 30,000 feet once in a while and take a look at the big picture to remind yourself, that’s all.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Setting realistic goals helps you achieve the goal and gain positive momentum step by step. Setting too lofty unrealistic goals means there’s a 90% chance of you failing and feeling disappointed and like you haven’t built any momentum. Setting a goal publicly for the playoffs this year would not have been a wise thing to do and I’m glad he didn’t.
With that thinking, next year we likely won't make the playoffs, too high of a goal. Do you tell the team, "lets play meaningful games" again. Somebody, and it should start with the GM then the coach, has to say "our goal is to make the playoffs" no matter what. BA/Bear are getting exactly what they expected out of the team this year. If they set a different expectation they might get a different result. True leaders sets higher goals.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
With that thinking, next year we likely won't make the playoffs, too high of a goal. Do you tell the team, "lets play meaningful games" again. Somebody, and it should start with the GM then the coach, has to say "our goal is to make the playoffs" no matter what. BA/Bear are getting exactly what they expected out of the team this year. If they set a different expectation they might get a different result. True leaders sets higher goals.
I agree with you…but that will all depend on what happens this offseason. This isn’t a hobby for guys like BA and Bear, it’s their day to day job. They will figure out the appropriate goal for next year when the time comes. It depends on what they can do this offseason to improve the team. What do players do and how do they train in the offseason to be better for next year? These things determine the goals next year. All TBD.

IronFinn

Sponsor
Apr 21, 2022
Scottsdale
Everyone who wants to get all emotional and live and die with every win and loss in a rebuilding season with the youngest team in the league is more than welcome to it…I’m not trying to stop you. This is a venting outlet for some people, I get it that’s cool. Just don’t forget to fly up to 30,000 feet once in a while and take a look at the big picture to remind yourself, that’s all.
We are actually the 2nd youngest after Buffalo, but point taken.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Until someone trades us a 2nd or 3rd round pick I'm assuming the other GMs are conspiring to not give BA another 2nd or 3rd round pick during his tenure with the Coyotes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad