Speculation: Trade Deadline: March 8, 2024

Which UFAs do you think will be moved at the TDL?

• Total voters

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Since the question was asked, it's time for a thread. I think we're sellers. Perhaps Zucker or Dumba have value. I see no reason to keep them even if the return is paltry.

Currently 5 pts out of WC spot and lots of competition with a tough second half schedule.

1705704829800.png

Last edited:

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I don’t want to trade Zucker or Dumba unless they want to get traded. I don’t want to cause any issues in the locker room for a 4th in 2026.

This would be at the deadline and assuming a playoff spot is unrealistic. The locker room would understand, and good odds they won't be back next year anyway.

Reactions: Jakey53

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Vejmelka + COL '24 3rd for COL '24 1st + Prosvetov (waivers)

Colorado has the 4th best record but they have no one to back up Georgiev and they're overworking him. They need a better insurance policy than Prosvetov. They're almost definitely looking for help in goal but so are at least 4 or 5 other teams. 1st is expensive, but I don't see trading Vejmelka unless the value tilts in favor of AZ.

Reactions: Grimes

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Zucker and Dumba makes sense but really all I care about is that they are not buyers. There are very few scenarios where the Coyotes being buyers at the deadline is not dumb as hell!

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
If anyone, I believe Zucker will be moved. From what I understand, Dumba is close with Keller and others, and I wouldn't want to upset the locker room too much if we still have a relatively positive record.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Trading Zucker and Dumba is a sign BA has given up on the season. Unless we are 10 points or more out of a playoff spot by the TDL, I don't think BA should trade them. We would get a late second and a third or 4th maybe, not much value there, we already have a zillion picks.

BA needs to be careful because sooner than later he needs to show the team he is interested in winning. If we are 4-6 points out, I would bet Kellet/Schmaltz/Durzi would want BA to trade picks and add help to get them into the playoffs this year. How much more losing and missing the playoffs can these guys take before more players request trades?

This is year 4 of the BA rebuild, in any other city that would be a long time to miss the playoffs while rebuilding. I would think in most rebuilds the goal would be playoffs by year 3, year 4 at the latest, it is likely year 5 for the Coyotes, if we even get in next year. This is why the wasted first year "while we evaluate", too long to trade OEL/then Chych, grinds me, and that anyone would be ok with this timeline.

Reactions: Mangosteen

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Trading Zucker and Dumba is a sign BA has given up on the season. Unless we are 10 points or more out of a playoff spot by the TDL, I don't think BA should trade them. We would get a late second and a third or 4th maybe, not much value there, we already have a zillion picks.

BA needs to be careful because sooner than later he needs to show the team he is interested in winning. If we are 4-6 points out, I would bet Kellet/Schmaltz/Durzi would want BA to trade picks and add help to get them into the playoffs this year. How much more losing and missing the playoffs can these guys take before more players request trades?
Completely agree.
This is year 4 of the BA rebuild, in any other city that would be a long time to miss the playoffs while rebuilding. I would think in most rebuilds the goal would be playoffs by year 3, year 4 at the latest, it is likely year 5 for the Coyotes, if we even get in next year. This is why the wasted first year "while we evaluate", too long to trade OEL/then Chych, grinds me, and that anyone would be ok with this timeline.
It’s year 3 for me, and I’m not mad at all about that 1st year. And I’m quite happy with the Chychrun trade. OEL trade had circumstances.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Unless we are 10 points or more out of a playoff spot by the TDL,

Agree. We were in the #1 wildcard spot not that long ago. We are not trending in the right direction. 10 pts out by the TDL looks realistic at this point.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Yeah, I really don't think we'll trade anyone...I could see doing a hockey trade for someone in the core age range, say a up & coming Dman for Zucker or Dumba.

Otherwise, I just think we'll go as is until the end of the season.

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I think the only way Zucker or Dumba is traded is if they want to chase the cup. It would've been discussed when they signed.
I hope they realize they aren't meant to be on the team past this season regardless.

Reactions: Jakey53 and Kaizen

rt

May 13, 2004
I think the only way Zucker or Dumba is traded is if they want to chase the cup. It would've been discussed when they signed.
I hope they realize they aren't meant to be on the team past this season regardless.
Bjugstad and Kerfoot got multi year deals. Zucker and Dumba got one year deals. I think that says a lot.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

It would take a miracle for the Coyote's to make the playoffs this year, and the players know this. BA said his goal this year is for the team to play meaningful games, and so far they have. Right now the Coyote's are five pts. out of the playoffs, and % wise will end up at around 85 pts. but that is playing their easiest part of the schedule. I believe BA will only make a trade if it helps the team long term. I see zero sense in wasting assets to get the team into the playoffs this year only to lose in the first round, unless the asset we get in the trade is long term. There is no use complaining about the paste, rather look forward to the future, which hopefully will be bright. I believe BA will stay the course

Completely agree.

It’s year 3 for me, and I’m not mad at all about that 1st year. And I’m quite happy with the Chychrun trade. OEL trade had circumstances.
Why are you happy with the Chychrun trade? The player we got hasn't even made the team. Way to early to decide either way.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Because that’s not how trades returns are evaluated. The trade value of the return package was tremendous
You don't know that. Like they say, who ever gets the best player in a deal wins the deal, and of today that favors Ottawa.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
What contender really wants Zucker’s 6 goals and his nearly 6 million dollar ticket? Frankly he has been awful this season. A complete disappointment.
There’s a former Pittsburgh GM and associate in Vancouver who tend to like ex Pens. Teams like vets for playoffs. Especially if they can be had for cheap.

Reactions: Jakey53

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
There’s a former Pittsburgh GM and associate in Vancouver who tend to like ex Pens. Teams like vets for playoffs. Especially if they can be had for cheap.
...and they are still looking for RHD, perhaps someone like Dumba.

rt

May 13, 2004
What contender really wants Zucker’s 6 goals and his nearly 6 million dollar ticket? Frankly he has been awful this season. A complete disappointment.
I think he’s going to pick it up. He’s getting looks and blowing it. That hasn’t been the story of his career. It runs completely counter to who he is. I think he’ll score another 10-12 goals in this 2nd half.

And we have two retention slots left.

...and they are still looking for RHD, perhaps someone like Dumba.
Look. We solved it for them. Well done us! Lol.

You don't know that. Like they say, who ever gets the best player in a deal wins the deal, and of today that favors Ottawa.
I do know that. The trade value of those three picks are extremely high. A 12th overall pick and two mid-2nds is a hefty package. It doesn’t matter one bit to the trade evaluation what happens with those picks.

Reactions: Canis Latrans

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
By the time he is moved, the receiving team would only be on the hook for a small portion of his $5.5 with no commitment for next year. More than one playoff bound team will be interested in him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad