Speculation: Trade Deadline: March 8, 2024

Which UFAs do you think will be moved at the TDL?

• Total voters

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I think that's the big question - does moving Schmaltz make this team fundamentally worse? For me, I can't get on board with that, because for me the players whose subtraction make a squad quantifiably worse are game-changing type players. Schmaltz isn't that to me. He's an offensive weapon, but so is Dylan Guenther. He's a creative scorer, but so is Logan Cooley. There isn't anything he does that cannot be recreated either by another player by himself or in aggregate by the team, IMO.

Or, in other words, is Schmaltz a critical piece, or is he simply a good piece? If by losing Schmaltz, we gain a really solid guy on the back end who improves us defensively, is that a net balance, or even improvement?

I don't think we trade Schmaltz for a bag of pucks. But I do think we should trade him at the draft for some assets that will help us balance the team better. And, in fact, he might be the only player we have where this would be possible.
I can't get on board with being excited about more draft picks and I'm guessing the current "core" can't either.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Durzi and McBain are good pieces. We won't make big strides until the drafted players take big steps in their development.
I think we need to replace until with if.

But yes, they are good pieces and unfortunately we need to wait..... as always. My concern is losing pieces because they tire of the losses.

Reactions: Jakey53

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
A Schmaltz trade at the draft is not going to be for draft picks. If it happens, it's going to be for players - possibly in exchange for our draft picks as well.
Yeah, sorry, I just skimmed over your post (getting tired of the Schmaltz rhetoric) and just saw assets and responded, not thinking it through. You have a point, a solid defender is needed and Schmaltz could be what gets us there, but you're giving the two yutes (My Cousin Vinny) more credit than they deserve to date, imo.

Last edited:

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
15 or so years ago I was in an IndyCar forum that Paul Tracy frequented

Tom Sneva attended our Lutheran Church in PV. He gave a nice speech at the father/son dinner and about the only thing I remember was him talking about was the difference between great drivers, who carve turns with a sharp pencil while everyone else used a crayon (something like that). He won the next Indy 500.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Tom Sneva attended our Lutheran Church in PV. He gave a nice speech at the father/son dinner and about the only thing I remember was him talking about was the difference between great drivers, who carve turns with a sharp pencil while everyone else used a crayon (something like that). He won the next Indy 500.
My favorite Tom Sneva anecdote::

One year I was working as a driver agent/marketer/spotter for an IndyCar team at the 500. On the flight back to Phoenix, who should I see sitting across from me in coach but Tom Sneva. Tom was always one of my favorite drivers for several reasons, including the fact that the first time I went to the Indy 500 as a child, I met him in the parking lot and he signed my Goodyear hat. Well, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to sit and chat with him. He had been working as a driver coach for one of the Indy Lights teams at the Freedom 100, so we spent most of the flight talking shop, comparing notes, talking about our drivers, etc.

As we were descending into Sky Harbor, Tom asked me very casually if I had a cell phone on me. I guess back then they were not as ubiquitous, especially for Tom, apparently, because he didn't have one. He asked if he could borrow it. Well, I wasn't going to turn down an Indy 500 legend like Tom Sneva, so I gave him my cell phone. He proceeded to spend the entire time on approach, landing, and taxing to the gate using my cell phone to call a bunch of his buddies to set up a kegger at his house when he got home.

It's not a great way to earn a living for most people, but there are days that I really miss being in racing. 😁

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
It's called "a system" and every team has one. Make no mistake, players get plenty of clarity. They know exactly what is required of them (accountability) within the system and practice it every day. EVERY team that steps on the ice wants to win, period. They practice to win every day.
i was simply answering your question

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Colorado has some pretty good LHD prospects and need the cap space. I could definitely see them moving him for picks.
Are they not going to lose Jones, Johnson and Walker? If they were so high on their prospects why weren't any brought up after TTD? Curious.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Are they not going to lose Jones, Johnson and Walker? If they were so high on their prospects why weren't any brought up after TTD? Curious.

I would imagine they attempt to keep Walker and Johnson. Johnson likely stays unless he elects for retirement, Walker is largely contract dependent.

As for prospects Behrens is still in college and his team has a good shot at going to the Frozen 4, Gulyayev has a KHL contract that keeps him in Russia for at least one more year if I remember correctly. Malinski looked solid when he was in the lineup, however I think the Avs were looking for a larger upgrade with the loss of Byram in addition to sending RyJo to the moon.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I would imagine they attempt to keep Walker and Johnson. Johnson likely stays unless he elects for retirement, Walker is largely contract dependent.

As for prospects Behrens is still in college and his team has a good shot at going to the Frozen 4, Gulyayev has a KHL contract that keeps him in Russia for at least one more year if I remember correctly. Malinski looked solid when he was in the lineup, however I think the Avs were looking for a larger upgrade with the loss of Byram in addition to sending RyJo to the moon.
So, why would Girard be available now? Would they be smart to hold onto Girard for another year?

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
So, why would Girard be available now? Would they be smart to hold onto Girard for another year?

As an off-season move I could see it happening (depending on how playoffs go). Behrens should be signed and get the chance to play a couple games at the end of the year, the Avs might look to target a defensive top 4 LHD given the farm is mostly offensive oriented defense. There is also a chance they move on from Manson too, as I think they would prefer Walker in the second pair RHD position.

Reactions: Jakey53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad