Trade Deadline III

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Wrong once, lol.

Plenty of people also said we shouldn't have re-signed Raffl, or got Pitlick because we didn't need them. Every guy Fletcher has signed or traded for and used in the NHL since this summer has been called a "trash player", and Stewart is really the only one who fits that description so far.

There are 19 games left plus hopefully the playoffs. You can be sure the current 12 forwards won't play all of those games.

St Louis played 14 forwards in the playoffs last year, including Maroon who they acquired for the stretch run.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Whats funny is he's bumping old posts that were made right after Braun had a three year stretch where he posted Hagg-like numbers.

From 2016-2017 through 2018-2019 at 5v5...

Hagg
-6.06 CF%rel
-5.33 xGF%rel

Braun
-6.85 CF%rel
-4.00 xGF%rel

We are very lucky that he seems to have bounced back, although playing with really good players for most of the year could be part of it.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Whats funny is he's bumping old posts that were made right after Braun had a three year stretch where he posted Hagg-like numbers.

From 2016-2017 through 2018-2019 at 5v5...

Hagg
-6.06 CF%rel
-5.33 xGF%rel

Braun
-6.85 CF%rel
-4.00 xGF%rel

We are very lucky that he seems to have bounced back, although playing with really good players for most of the year could be part of it.

Niskanen and Braun basically got back to being the players they were ~2 years ago. Which is/was best case scenario.

But even with Braun there were signs that: his partners had pulled him down, he was still good at own blueline, and could skate.

But it has been pretty much best it could have been! Which is fantastic of course.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
There was only a period of five years where there was constant, unrelenting talk about him being a 3C at best, who should be traded for a sniper or a goalie. I know you find talk of the past painful because you have a Bosxscore-level track record on player evaluation, but that was the reality.

Weird. I was also very much on the 'Couturier is a 1C level talent being saddled with incredibly poor usage and linemates' train - Feel free to go back and dig up the quotes, I know youve alreayd searched for them. Does that mean you have Boxscore level takes as well? There was a very clearly defined group on this forum who though couturier was nothing more than a 3C, and I was not part of that group.

I'll leave you to this alternate reality of thought process where youre at the forefront of hyping 'prospects' that literally the entire board who has a brain was backing. This conversation is going nowhere, and that's not a place I have time to go. Enjoy the digging man, all the best with it in the future.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Chicago and the Penguins have been consistently the smallest teams in the NHL this decade... hurt them in the playoffs.

Talent+ability>>>size, experience, and most importantly a "no-way" game.

I dont mind Thompson as cover, and hopefully just a few games until Farabee back and Grant/Laughton goes down to push him out of line-up.

Last two SC winners were Washington and St Louis, not many small forwards on those teams.
I've given the Blues bottom 8, now here's the Caps from two years ago:
Stephenson, Beagle, Smith-Pelly, Vrana, Connolly, Burakovsky, Chiasson.
Not one undersized forward in that group, just like St Louis the next year.

It's obvious the league is moving to less stringent policing of contact, not back to the "grab and clutch" days, but also wary of calling too many penalties and slowing the game down, games haven't been called as tight this season. And this gets worse in the playoffs.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Niskanen and Braun basically got back to being the players they were ~2 years ago. Which is/was best case scenario.

But even with Braun there were signs that: his partners had pulled him down, he was still good at own blueline, and could skate.

But it has been pretty much best it could have been! Which is fantastic of course.
Yup, we got very lucky. That was one of the main issues of those trades, if they didn't bounce back it would've been bad. It was a gamble that's worked out pretty well but not one that I'd want to push our luck and take again. Not with our luck :laugh:

Still wouldn't have traded for Braun though, because of the risk, the price, and the lineup side effects.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

I think this is the part that a lot of people throwing mud around right now are missing - my entire take on these trades was that we are inheriting too much risk in players who had played poorly bouncing back. I'm happy they did, the Flyers are a better team for it, and I've acknowledged as much in previous posts. We played the odds and won, but im not the betting man like some on here who wants to try and play those odds often.

flyers0909

Nothing Matters
Jul 10, 2007
Jesus Christ, can we please stop going back and telling people what they got wrong and how that somehow invalidates them from posting their opinions on an online message board that has literally no consequences? There is a clear divide among a lot of the posters on a lot of issues, but it's getting so tiring reading opposition to posters and not the actual post. We're 5 points behind the Caps for the Metro lead and I'm reading about Andrew f***ing MacDonald, someone kill me now.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Last two SC winners were Washington and St Louis, not many small forwards on those teams.
I've given the Blues bottom 8, now here's the Caps from two years ago:
Stephenson, Beagle, Smith-Pelly, Vrana, Connolly, Burakovsky, Chiasson.
Not one undersized forward in that group, just like St Louis the next year.

It's obvious the league is moving to less stringent policing of contact, not back to the "grab and clutch" days, but also wary of calling too many penalties and slowing the game down, games haven't been called as tight this season. And this gets worse in the playoffs.

There have been more penalty calls this year than last, and almost identical to two years ago.

If anything the last two-three years have got back away from clutch and grab than 2010-17... where interference was way, way more rife.

Stephenson and Vrana are not very big guys really at all... not "undersized"... but if they are not undersized then a guy like NAK is not.

I'd just rather have a 6'0, 175lb player who scores at 2nd line level with solid D than a 6'0, 205lbs player who scores at replacement level with mediocre D! Obviously thouse 30lbs dont make someone a better player, even in the playoffs.

Reactions: wankstifier

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Orrrrrrrrr they could've scratched someone other than Farabee...

Like Raffl...

But hey...

giphy.gif

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I think this is the part that a lot of people throwing mud around right now are missing - my entire take on these trades was that we are inheriting too much risk in players who had played poorly bouncing back. I'm happy they did, the Flyers are a better team for it, and I've acknowledged as much in previous posts. We played the odds and won, but im not the betting man like some on here who wants to try and play those odds often.

I mean, my response to the Niskanen trade at the time was pretty much that... he was going to a be a ~#4 at worst, and had the potential to be a #2 if he bounced back, but was concerned about him bouncing back.

Glad they pulled it though in hindsight, as much as I like Gudas.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They didn't get that lucky, Fletcher looked at two older defensemen who were overworked, and bet on a rebound.

Niskanen's numbers the second half of last year and the playoffs rebounded after a slow start following the SC season where he played 22:36 in the regular season, and 25:23 in 24 playoff games. Last year 21:56 and 24:44 in the playoffs.

This year he's playing 21:51, which is too much - AV needs to reduce his workload or sit him for a couple games before the playoffs. With Ghost healthy and Sanheim/Myers playing a bigger role, that shouldn't be asking too much.

Braun played 21:28, then 10 PO games at 22;39, and 20:18 and 20 PO games at 21:28 last season.
This year he's at 17:21, which should keep his legs fresh for the playoffs.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I mean, my response to the Niskanen trade at the time was pretty much that... he was going to a be a ~#4 at worst, and had the potential to be a #2 if he bounced back, but was concerned about him bouncing back.

Glad they pulled it though in hindsight, as much as I like Gudas.

Yup - very little to no-issue with the on-ice piece of that trade. Again, there was a lot of risk there that I don't think we were compensated for, but I've got absolutely zero interest in rehashing that conversation.

Reactions: Appleyard

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You're really nothing but a reverse deadhead with his lies about watching NAK. He automatically defends anything Hak did, and you automatically lambaste anything Fletcher does. And both of you are now pathetic jokes.

I saw at least 20 games by NAK in the AHL over a two year period, I watched practically every AHL game televised in Philly (due to Comcast DVR). He never looked as good in the AHL as he does now, and that ain't "fake news."

Last edited by a moderator:

PhlthyRich

Mar 26, 2019
Philadelphia
They didn't get that lucky, Fletcher looked at two older defensemen who were overworked, and bet on a rebound.

Niskanen's numbers the second half of last year and the playoffs rebounded after a slow start following the SC season where he played 22:36 in the regular season, and 25:23 in 24 playoff games. Last year 21:56 and 24:44 in the playoffs.

This year he's playing 21:51, which is too much - AV needs to reduce his workload or sit him for a couple games before the playoffs. With Ghost healthy and Sanheim/Myers playing a bigger role, that shouldn't be asking too much.

Braun played 21:28, then 10 PO games at 22;39, and 20:18 and 20 PO games at 21:28 last season.
This year he's at 17:21, which should keep his legs fresh for the playoffs.

Small addition for Nisky: He suffered a bad concussion at some point and he really didn't bounce back from it .

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Watch out, or you may become a pathetic joke like another poster who likes to rant about "liars."

I saw at least 20 games by NAK in the AHL over a two year period, I watched practically every AHL game televised in Philly (due to Comcast DVR). He never looked as good in the AHL as he does now, and that ain't "fake news."

I dont doubt that you watched him... but ours eyes are different then...

he was the best fwd at 5v5 pretty much every game I watched the last 2 years.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Yeah, he very obviously stood out in the AHL.

Although I was only able to watch home games since I live in the area, so maybe he was a horrible disappointment on the road. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Starat327

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

I though he played a good bottom forward game with very good straight line speed, but always looked a little clunky and stiff.
Similar to Bailey (who had equivalent AHL stats) but better hands.

I was really disappointed in TC, because he was basically MIA compared to Twarynski and Bunnaman. As if he thought the job was his to lose, similar to Myers - and AV gave both a wake up call.

The two guys who jumped out at me last year in the AHL were Rubtsov and Kase, but they can't stay healthy long enough to polish their skills to a NHL level - maybe next year!
They just seemed smoother and more explosive, especially Kase.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Farabee is a limited player right now.

I love him, but he’s a 170 lbs teenager who doesn’t PK, doesn’t play C, has not produced on the PP, has only produced 5 on 5 with Couturier, whom he isn’t playing with.....

GB, you're wrong, wrong, wrong!

Farabee hasn't been a teenager for at least 12 hours! :naughty:

Happy birthday Joel! :hbday:

Stop by the Applebee's in Scranton and I'm pretty sure they'll give you free cake. :D

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad