Trade Deadline III

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Fletcher was on Flyers Fix Ep 3 and even said Farabee will be up soon and that we absolutely will need him down the stretch. He wants Farabee to get more offensive time down in the AHL and wants to get his offensive confidence back so he can contribute later. Nothing wrong with that imo.
"Offensive time"? Unlike playing on the 2nd line with Hayes and TK?

And "offensive confidence"? Like being told you're not good enough to effectively score in the NHL right now?

Damn, these are some galaxy brain moves by Fletcher. :laugh:

Last edited:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

"And offensive confidence"? Like being told you're not good enough to effectively score in the NHL right now?

I'm already triggered. @Chinatown88 I know it's a roster only event, but I'm in desperate need of red pandas already, and I havent even had my first coffee (though I did have a monster, so that counts I guess)?

PhlthyRich

Mar 26, 2019
Philadelphia
Fletcher once added Martin Hanzal and Ryan White at the deadline in Minnesota. The team was red hot at the time and completely fell apart after the trades.

Thankfully he didnt give up the same level of assets he did for them (1st +)

Did they fall apart or just run into one of the hottest teams (Jets) in the playoffs? That year Wild finished with 101 points. The Jets team finished 2nd in their division with 114 points.

Reactions: tucson83

PhlthyRich

Mar 26, 2019
Philadelphia

"And offensive confidence"? Like being told you're not good enough to effectively score in the NHL right now?

He was taken off the Hayes and TK line on Saturday during the game. He hasn't been producing much since his run-in with the flu. Last time he was sent down it worked just fine and he came back productive .

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Did they fall apart or just run into one of the hottest teams (Jets) in the playoffs? That year Wild finished with 101 points. The Jets team finished 2nd in their division with 114 points.

They played like shit after the trades before salvaging the last few games before the playoffs.

Reactions: PhlthyRich

PhlthyRich

Mar 26, 2019
Philadelphia
I guess thats good that he thinks he will be back up soon but his logic in sending him down is still bullshit and our middle 6 is worse heading into tonights game.

I said this yesterday and it's not ideal, but I wouldn't doubt Fletcher / AV just want to see what our line up looks like with both Grant and Thompson. Sorta just an audition since we have non-playoff teams (Sharks ,NYR). Both teams are short on key players. I'm not a fan of this because you should optimize line up no matter who you play, but I understand if this is the case.

As for the Wild, I was genuinely asking. Hope it didn't come off wrongly. I just know Fletcher gets a bad rep at times with his Wild teams, but some of those teams really ran into tough teams in the playoffs like the Hawks or Jets

Reactions: Curufinwe

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I took a break from this thread in hopes of saving my sanity (and some infractions, if I'm being honest).

The idea that adding two plugs at the cost of assets, however nominal, while simultaneously making the roster worse by demoting a high potential kid to the AHL for "development" on a team that plays pond hockey is 100% indefensible. If you wanted to add a 4C, go for it. No ones shedding tears over Bunny being demoted (save for @Captain Dave Poulin, of course), but bringing in Derek Grant at the expense of Joel Farabee, who actually has a future at this organization, is probably the dumbest thing I've seen Fletcher do with this organization, and that's fully acknowledging that the cost was minimal at best (worst?). Adding Grant is one thing, and wouldve made sense. But once again, weve kept the wrong people on the roster and removed the right ones.

The lickballs.gif is really strong around here right now.
66425506-EA02-4E0B-8651-0E842A20E521.gif

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He was taken off the Hayes and TK line on Saturday during the game. He hasn't been producing much since his run-in with the flu. Last time he was sent down it worked just fine and he came back productive .
Which I think is a mistake. We don't have a better option than him on that line so taking him off isn't helping.

And again, a lack of production isn't necessarily due to a lack of production-worthy play. I mean, sure, he only has 2 5v5 points in the past 6 games, but so does Hayes. Since the 1st of this month, he has 4 5v5 points in 8 games, Hayes has 2 in 11. Point being, I'd rather let them ride it out.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell

Demoting him won't help him learn.... It'll only shake his confidence per the experts.

There is no more tough love to rookies.

Reactions: PhlthyRich

PhlthyRich

Mar 26, 2019
Philadelphia
Which I think is a mistake. We don't have a better option than him on that line so taking him off isn't helping.

And again, a lack of production isn't necessarily due to a lack of production-worthy play. I mean, sure, he only has 2 5v5 points in the past 6 games, but so does Hayes. Since the 1st of this month, he has 4 5v5 points in 8 games, Hayes has 2 in 11. Point being, I'd rather let them ride it out.

The good news is if this ends up being a mistake, which it very well could be, Farabee is just call-up away. I think they worry how Farabee could hold up against bigger teams in a grinding 7 game series. He struggled against the big forwards on saturday (Jets). Hayes may not have the points but he's a vital contributor to our PK.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The good news is if this ends up being a mistake, which it very well could be, Farabee is just call-up away. I think they worry how Farabee could hold up against bigger teams in a grinding 7 game series. He struggled against the big forwards on saturday (Jets). Hayes may not have the points but he's a vital contributor to our PK.
I wasn’t saying Hayes has been bad, actually the opposite.

He was an example of someone who also isn’t playing bad and also isn’t scoring much.

PhlthyRich

Mar 26, 2019
Philadelphia
I wasn’t saying Hayes has been bad, actually the opposite.

He was an example of someone who also isn’t playing bad and also isn’t scoring much.

Sorry wasn't saying Hayes was bad or that you were either. mix up! Personally I love Hayes's game. Grant may not have the skill set Farabee has, but I do like his addition to the PK and that he can play all 3 forward spots and win faceoffs. But as I did with all the new summer additions, I won't complain or have issues until I see the guys play.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I mean, they also had the option to:

Send Bunnaman down.
Play Grant at 4C.
Keep Farabee.
Have Thompson as 13th fwd.

Which is very likely a better team.

This is not just Farabee vs Grant...

Not the end of the world or close to it, but Farabee had been playing really well recently.
Farabee is a limited player right now.

I love him, but he’s a 170 lbs teenager who doesn’t PK, doesn’t play C, has not produced on the PP, has only produced 5 on 5 with Couturier, whom he isn’t playing with.....

Reactions: Philly Fanatik

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017

I love him, but he’s a 170 lbs teenager who doesn’t PK, doesn’t play C, has not produced on the PP, has only produced 5 on 5 with Couturier, whom he isn’t playing with.....

thing is the team is one saying that they need more experience, coaches and gms didnt. they need see it. fans that just want prospects for the sake of it dont want to see it.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

He has produced at 5v5 with Hayes too... 3.23 GF/60 together at 5v5... which is 1st line level...

and over the season produced at 2nd line level per minute 5v5. With solid D.

If he is limited then there are ~5-6 more limited forwards on the team right now, and half the NHL regular forwards in the league are limited. They are just older...

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
thing is the team is one saying that they need more experience, coaches and gms didnt. they need see it. fans that just want prospects for the sake of it dont want to see it.

Each of the last ~8 cup winners filled their bottom sixes with guys age 23 and under (3+ in bottom six)... ofc experience can be helpful. But talent and ability wins out.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
He has produced at 5v5 with Hayes too... 3.23 GF/60 together at 5v5... which is 1st line level...

and over the season produced at 2nd line level per minute 5v5. With solid D.

If he is limited then there are ~5-6 more limited forwards on the team right now, and half the NHL regular forwards in the league are limited. They are just older...

If only the game merely relied on check marks on a spreadsheet. There’s a lot that goes on that doesn’t count as a stat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad