Trade Deadline III

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I'm actually the opposite, I'm more sold on Grant than Thompson.

For clarity:

My ideal scenario: Frost up, Laughton to 4C, Bunny demoted
My tolerable scenario: One guy added, Bunny demoted
My unhappy scenario: Two guys added, Bunny AND Farabee demoted.
Going to agree a lot which I know is scary.
1) Frost should have been up as 4c 2 weeks ago, if you knew Bunny was not the guy, and then evaluate. If not confident at Frost at that point so be it.
2) Being they never called up by Frost then adding Grant for a 4 is correct move. Grant to me could be swiss army knife backup plan if Pitlick wants too much money in free agency. Check in on this end of year.
3)To acquire Thompson take Farabee out of the lineup is just STOOOOOpid. Assuming no injuries by game 1 playoffs I better see Farabee in and Thompson out.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
And most of those points came in spurts. He's only 19. He's not a finished product. Not everything is about today. If it was, they would've put their chips to the middle on Pageau. They still have to do right by his development.

In the 7 games prior to going out with the flu he had 6 points. He lost a bunch of weight and was getting back up to speed still. Sending him down now makes no sense. Hes been a regular since October. Ive been supportive of Fletch but I cant support this.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That was also the only game he has produced in the last 7, fwiw.

If we shit the bed and can't score, you can bet AV will be pushing for him to be up.

But he was still playing well despite the lack of individual production.

I do agree that I think AV will ask for Joel if it doesnt work out. Sadly this could cost us points. Not much margin for error right now.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
We are kind of not thinking about this but Ranger home and home is HUGE. Shesterkin injury is big. If you get 3 points v Rangers playoff spot pretty much wrapped up. Rangers get 2 regulation wins, buckle up ladies and gents. And would have so preferred Farabee in and not Thompson.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
We are kind of not thinking about this but Ranger home and home is HUGE. Shesterkin injury is big. If you get 3 points v Rangers playoff spot pretty much wrapped up. Rangers get 2 regulation wins, buckle up ladies and gents. And would have so preferred Farabee in and not Thompson.

Way too many factors now that we are in 3rd. Canes and isles also have to win their games.

Beat Sharks tomm, that’s all that matters right now

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
In the 7 games prior to going out with the flu he had 6 points. He lost a bunch of weight and was getting back up to speed still. Sending him down now makes no sense. Hes been a regular since October. Ive been supportive of Fletch but I cant support this.
Adding weight is a good reason to go down. It's essentially why they sent back Frost

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Good to see everyone acted accordingly today in here.

This deadline is like getting clothes for Christmas. It’s utilitarian—we didn’t get the cool toy but we also didn’t see our parents completely botch it either. I think that they did upgrade 4C and got some good depth. I don’t necessarily agree with farabee coming out but I’m not angry about it either.

Fletcher and AV have shown me this year they are the anti-hakstol/hextall in that they are pretty fast to make switches with internal depth. If either acquisition shits the bed, farabee or frost will be back up. Same with raffl, Laughton or nak. This could be why we are seeing a much better forth line now compared to previous years—a sense of desperation.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sharks are a good game to break in two new players.
If they need Farabee to beat the Sharks, they're doomed.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Just remember:

Kreider got 7x6.5M starting at 29 years old.
Pageau got 5x5 for a 3C starting at 27 years old.

mize370

Nov 2, 2009
Waterloo, Ontario
Seems to me after reading a lot of complaints in here that Grant and Thompson no matter how they play will forever be on the Hagg side of resentment. They aren't as shiny or as favored as Ghost, Frost or Farabee. Me personally don't care who is playing as long as the Flyers win. I cheer for them no matter if my favorites are in or out of the line up. And frost and farabee are faves of mine. Just want the Flyers to win! And win it all! Trusting the coaching staff to do the right things here. AV has so far in my books.

Reactions: flyersfan187

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
The farabee not scoring is the same bullshit argument that was made when he didn’t make the team out of camp. He’s gonna go down and play well, the flyers are going to miss the little details his game brings and then a couple losses in a row and wowie! Farabee is magically ready again!

All that really matters is if he’s making plays that help the team and create chances. The points will come and that will be true no matter how many times he’s sent to the AHL

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
dinner-rolls-in-pan.jpg
My anaconda don't want none unless you got buns, hon.

No rhymes for rolls, unfortunately.

NicolasAubeKubel

Mar 3, 2018
Couple losses, Grant and Thompson are absolute boat anchors that ruin the bottom 6 entirely. Frost and Farabee produce in LHV for a stretch. Then it’s “we just wanted them to gain some confidence”

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Let's not get carried away, Farabee is on a 30 ES point pace, Frost on a 25 point pace.
It's not like we're burying two top 6 forwards here (maybe in a year or two).

Person101

Jul 12, 2019
What happens if Grant and Thompson play well? Grant continues his lucky season with points and helps on the PK giving rest for say Coots. Thompson helps with the face offs and we don't need to throw two centers out at once?

Or is it a guarantee they will suck and Farabee would automatically be better?

Person101

Jul 12, 2019
I can see starting one of Grant or Thompson as the 4c. One in the top 9 shouldn’t happen but they both need some games in on the Flyers. AV is a good coach though and I trust him more then the previous coaching.
I don't see AV being afraid to scratch them or Fletcher not calling Farabee back up. Honestly I think Farabee will be back, Grant as 4c and Thompson as 13th forward by end of season.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I will never ignore a reasonable argument and you are certainly being reasonable...

But not many on this team have shown chemistry with Hayes and that 2nd line has been more than fine lately even without Joels production. Hes still involved in a line thats producing.

This move to me just doesnt seem smart for the team or fair to the player.

It is difficult to build chemistry with a guy who doesn't pass :laugh:

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
What happens if Grant and Thompson play well? Grant continues his lucky season with points and helps on the PK giving rest for say Coots. Thompson helps with the face offs and we don't need to throw two centers out at once?

Or is it a guarantee they will suck and Farabee would automatically be better?
How many more years are we going to keep saying this same thing? Just change the name from Grant or Thompson to Boyd Gordon, Val Filppula, Dale Weise, Chris Stewart, rinse and repeat.
It shouldn’t be a surprise anymore when younger, more skilled players have more to offer

Person101

Jul 12, 2019
How many more years are we going to keep saying this same thing? Just change the name from Grant or Thompson to Boyd Gordon, Val Filppula, Dale Weise, Chris Stewart, rinse and repeat.
It shouldn’t be a surprise anymore when younger, more skilled players have more to offer
Luckily we can easily call them up if your right. These aren't longer term players like Weise and VF.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad