Speculation: Trade Deadline II

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
For the third time I said Sandin and a second.
My mistake. It's still a ridiculous idea since the Leafs wouldn't trade Sandin straight up for Gudas.

If Toronto isn't willing to trade a 6th-round/3rd line winger and a first for Gudas then they aren't going to improve their defense.
Where Johnsson was picked means nothing. He's become a good young cheap player. There is zero incentive for Toronto to include him a package deal unless the upgrade they would be getting is significant.

Players worse than Gudas get traded for first round picks literally all the time.
Hyperbole. First off, you are talking about Gudas being moved for a first AND a good young player who is proven at the NHL level. Second, players worse than Gudas do not get traded for a first LITERALLY all the time. Lastly, I don't think you know how to properly use the term literally. I used to think you were a good poster but you have been acting like a total dope and saying ridiculous things lately. I'm just here to call you out and help you homie.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Fletcher supposedly scouted Calgary on Thursday. That's certainly a team that would be interested in one or both of Simmonds and Gudas.

Some interesting young players in their organization: Kylington, Valimaki, Andersson. Also curious if they'd give up on Bennett.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
At this point Id rather trade 1 year of Gudas for 9 years of a team controlled mystery box.
Gudas is only 28 years old and there is no rule that I am aware of that the Flyers can't re-sign him past next season. Having a RHD with size and toughness on the third pair for a few years as they develop their young defense would be a good thing. Meanwhile, the Flyers prospect pool is getting crowded, and they are likely to have two first round picks again this year after they trade Simmonds. I just don't see the upside in trading Gudas (especially now) for a late first round pick. Perhaps next deadline depending on what does or does not happen it would be. Right now though, he is far more valuable to the team than a pick like that. Of course, if I've learned anything over the last few days it's that some people around here actually want to trade two of the only four good NHL D the team actually has.

Reactions: renberg

MrMajestyk

Oct 12, 2013
goal scorers are goal scorers...it doesn't matter what forward position they play.

Our 3 best forwards (28,14,93) are all not goal scorer talents.

I have hope for TK (sadly he hasn't really improved on last year), and big hope for Patrick...who flashes the ability.

Poor Sean, had 31 last year on pace for 33 this year, and still no scorer talent. Some day when he's all growns up...

Reactions: kelmitchell

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Fletcher supposedly scouted Calgary on Thursday. That's certainly a team that would be interested in one or both of Simmonds and Gudas.

Some interesting young players in their organization: Kylington, Valimaki, Andersson. Also curious if they'd give up on Bennett.
If he's scouting the Flames roster obviously someone currently playing in the NHL has been discussed. Without looking at their entire roster Bennett is the obvious one who could be involved.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I think the slick move would be to trade Gudas to a team like Dallas or Edmonton who could still end up finishing in the lottery.
Gudas isn’t worth a first on his own. Edm said they aren’t trading that pick anymore anyway. I don’t know that Dallas needs gudas.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
My mistake. It's still a ridiculous idea since the Leafs wouldn't trade Sandin straight up for Gudas.

Where Johnsson was picked means nothing. He's become a good young cheap player. There is zero incentive for Toronto to include him a package deal unless the upgrade they would be getting is significant.

Hyperbole. First off, you are talking about Gudas being moved for a first AND a good young player who is proven at the NHL level. Second, players worse than Gudas do not get traded for a first LITERALLY all the time. Lastly, I don't think you know how to properly use the term literally. I used to think you were a good poster but you have been acting like a total dope and saying ridiculous things lately. I'm just here to call you out and help you homie.

I mean of course it's hyperbole but every trade deadline there are first-rounders sent out as overpayments for dreck. A team acquiring Gudas can get 2 postseasons and 100 regular season games. That's worth a ton more than most veterans rentals.

Tomas Tatar is a worse player than Gudas and also had term and he got a 1st/2nd/3rd and provided no help in the postseason
Martin Hanzal was a marginal middle-six center rental who got back much more than a first.
Rick Nash was washed up and got a first.
I'd argue that three months of Shattenkirk isn't worth a year and three months of Gudas but I could see it either way.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
If he's scouting the Flames roster obviously someone currently playing in the NHL has been discussed. Without looking at their entire roster Bennett is the obvious one who could be involved.
Bennett, Andersson, and Kylington are all regulars on their current roster who Fletcher could have been scouting. The only one I mentioned who is not is Valimaki.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I mean of course it's hyperbole but every trade deadline there are first-rounders sent out as overpayments for dreck. A team acquiring Gudas can get 2 postseasons and 100 regular season games. That's worth a ton more than most veterans rentals.

Tomas Tatar is a worse player than Gudas and also had term and he got a 1st/2nd/3rd and provided no help in the postseason
Martin Hanzal was a marginal middle-six center rental who got back much more than a first.
I'd argue that three months of Shattenkirk isn't worth a year and three months of Gudas but I could see it either way.
Sure, teams overpay at the deadline at times and make bad deals and you have provided three examples of that. That doesn't automatically mean that that will come into play here and the Flyers will get an overpayment for Gudas.

Also, I am telling you, all word out of Toronto is that Sandin is untouchable minus a crazy over payment so there is zero chance the Leafs are trading him (let alone adding a pick) for Gudas.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014

Tatar had more value than Gudas. Tatar was a 27 year old winger coming off 29, 21, and 25 goal seasons.
Hanzal was considered Selke quality when he was traded, though a 1st, 2nd, and 4th was a bad trade for a rental with injury problems.

BTW, for Toronto I'd say Johnsson for Gudas straight up would be a fair trade. Johnsson + a 1st? No way; big overpay.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Everlong

Jun 21, 2018
As has been said by the Flyers the moves from now until October 2019 will be made to be a playoff contender. I don’t see them trading Gudas, especially not to open up a spot to be filled from a prospect group that have played a combined 3 NHL games, one of which will have barely played in two years.
I think it more likely players from the prospect group play their 2019-20 NHL games for a different team, and another veteran defenseman joins the Flyers.

Reactions: The Madrigal

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Poor Sean, had 31 last year on pace for 33 this year, and still no scorer talent. Some day when he's all growns up...
look at his heat chart. It's entirely in the crease. He's a MUCH BETTER overall version of Mike Knuble...He's not dangerous to score outside of the slot. He gets tips and rebounds.

He's got REALLY good vision and anticipation (an outstanding passer)...but his wrist shot and accuracy are not great.

It doesn't mean I think he sucks, is not a first line center, ect ect...

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
As has been said by the Flyers the moves from now until October 2019 will be made to be a playoff contender. I don’t see them trading Gudas, especially not to open up a spot to be filled from a prospect group that have played a combined 3 NHL games, one of which will have barely played in two years.
I think it more likely players from the prospect group play their 2019-20 NHL games for a different team, and another veteran defenseman joins the Flyers.
This guy gets it.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Gudas is only 28 years old and there is no rule that I am aware of that the Flyers can't re-sign him past next season. Having a RHD with size and toughness on the third pair for a few years as they develop their young defense would be a good thing. Meanwhile, the Flyers prospect pool is getting crowded, and they are likely to have two first round picks again this year after they trade Simmonds. I just don't see the upside in trading Gudas (especially now) for a late first round pick. Perhaps next deadline depending on what does or does not happen it would be. Right now though, he is far more valuable to the team than a pick like that. Of course, if I've learned anything over the last few days it's that some people around here actually want to trade two of the only four good NHL D the team actually has.
I don't see Gudas returning, no do I want to give him the type of deal to ensure he does.

You can never have too many good team controlled assets...and yes while the cup is beginning to overflow with prospect talent, that talent can be dealt for better NHL now players.

Let's say the Kings wanted to deal Doughty...right now...we could be as competitive as anybody in making a good package. 2 years ago...this was not the case.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I don't see Gudas returning, no do I want to give him the type of deal to ensure he does.

You can never have too many good team controlled assets...and yes while the cup is beginning to overflow with prospect talent, that talent can be dealt for better NHL now players.

Let's say the Kings wanted to deal Doughty...right now...we could be as competitive as anybody in making a good package. 2 years ago...this was not the case.
So let me ask you this. Would you rather have a late first round pick this summer or Gudas?

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
make the playoffs or be a contender.

We have the roster now to make the playoffs. I'm of the believe that there is no roster move or combination of moves that will make this team a contender by next year.

It's going to take quite a few of our internal players taking some large jumps to seriously turning this around.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Yeah I wouldn't even consider it. We can agree to disagree on this one.
sure. Ive already given up on expectations for next season.

Admittedly...this season has been a regression. It's hard to know what we are. We need a much better coach.

Its awful to see teams like the Isles and Rangers doing better than us...

Reactions: Domino666

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
sure. Ive already given up on expectations for next season.

Admittedly...this season has been a regression. It's hard to know what we are. We need a much better coach.

Its awful to see teams like the Isles and Rangers doing better than us...
I think with a good coach and 2 or 3 of the right moves they can easily be a playoff team next year.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
The Flyers are at the point where adding more quantity isn't really going to help them.

Gudas for a late first-rounder makes no sense at all. Gudas for an NHL-ready young player and a first, sure.

The Flyers should absolutely be able to contend next season.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I think with a good coach and 2 or 3 of the right moves they can easily be a playoff team next year.
easily. We should have been one this year.

I think we are still an enigma from being a serious threat.

I'm not getting worked up...because we are a team wide dumpster fire this year...but guys like Patrick, TK, ect are not elevating their games. Still plenty of hope long term.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
The Flyers are at the point where adding more quantity isn't really going to help them.

Gudas for a late first-rounder makes no sense at all. Gudas for an NHL-ready young player and a first, sure.

The Flyers should absolutely be able to contend next season.
I'm not expecting a late first pick to help them next year.

For me...this is all about asset management. So was the Schenn trade. As of now...that trade has been an NHL level disaster. Schenn has been very good, while Lehtera is a negative. But Schenn wasn't probably here in 2021...and Frost and Farabee will probably be bigger contributors to the 21-25 Flyers than Schenn.

Lastly...I don't share your contending confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille