Speculation: Trade Deadline II

Status
Not open for further replies.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
You honestly think the main reason we struggle, is because Giroux and Laughton have been used at wing?

:banghead:

why are you against drafting and signing wingers? what team has won a cup by drafting and signing a ton of centers?

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
I'd love to be able to get some good young prospects and picks and then somehow use them as bait to trade for the first overall pick. Potential franchise centers are near impossible to get it seems unless you get lucky with a later round pick like Giroux.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Much more than a first round pick for Gudas?

I like him and think he's a very useful defenseman. But let's face it: Gudas has been a 4/5 blueliner on a defense corps that is generally derided by its fans on a team 1 point out of last place in the entire NHL.

You *might* be able to get a late first. *Or* an above average prospect. But "much" more than a first? For all the value it seems some fans believe the Flyers' players have, it's shocking the team is so bad. Fans really do tend to overrate the value of players on their favorite teams, IMO. Maybe I'll be proven wrong on Gudas' value, but I'll believe it when I see it.

And I still think a late first or an above-average prospect would be a good return for Gudas, considering the Flyers aren't going anywhere with him this season and that his contract is up after next season. So I certainly think it's the right move to trade him now while his value is at its highest. But I'm keeping my expectations at a lower level than much more than a first rd. draft pick.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
When talking about teams presumably picking in the 18-31 range, I think more than a couple would give up a 1st + 2nd for Gudas, or a 1st and a close to NHL prospect. We've seen wretched defensemen go for 2nd rounders. Tatar got a 1st/2nd/3rd. Realistically Gudas is worth at least as much as Tatar.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
The Flyers need Gudas way more than they need a late first round pick and they aren't getting more than that for him. I really don't get the constant advocating to trade him. The Flyers need to be adding to their defense, not subtracting and Provorov, Ghost, Sanheim, and Gudas is who they should be building around.

Reactions: Striiker

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Trading Gudas does not help the RHD problem. This team isn't good enough to piss away their only good RHD (currently anyway) for more futures.

Do you really think the Flyers should re-sign Gudas? Next season is his last contract year and he'll be 30 in the first year of any new contract. The guy has taken a lot of physical punishment over the years, too. Who knows how long his knee holds up?

I wouldn't re-sign him. And they certainly don't need him for the rest of this season since there will be no playoffs. They have a physical defenseman in Morin who needs to stay in the NHL or be waived. Meanwhile, Gudas is at the very peak of his value. Now is the absolute *perfect* time to cash in on him.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
The Flyers need Gudas way more than they need a late first round pick and they aren't getting more than that for him. I really don't get the constant advocating to trade him. The Flyers need to be adding to their defense, not subtracting and Provorov, Ghost, Sanheim, and Gudas is who they should be building around.

I'm not advocating for trading him, I'm simply saying what I think the Flyers should/could get back for him. I wouldn't trade him for a No. 1 that's likely outside of the top 5 and no team would do that anyway. But Toronto's No. 1 pick and Johnsson; or Sandin and a 2nd would work.

At least 2 and arguably all 3 of Myers/Morin/Friedman could make a major upgrade to the defense, and two of those guys are righties. If they can play then Gudas could be expendable. Of course it'd be nice if someone would let them play.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
The Leafs aren't giving up that much for Gudas. Maybe they give up their first for him which makes no sense for the Flyers. They need Gudas more than they need a late first. Myers looks good but he's a prospect. Morin and Friedman are major question marks. Gudas is a good 4/5 right handed D. Trading him for a late first who may or may not make an impact for the Flyers in 3 or 4 years makes no sense what so ever.

Reactions: renberg

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Serious question, do you honestly think they will? Supposedly they don't want to trade Sandin period, and they shouldn't. So the idea of them trading him and a first for Gudas is extremely far fetched. Johnsson and a first, maybe but I find that very unlikely. This just proves my point though, Gudas has more value to the Flyers than he does in a trade. We see the value in him for the Flyers and think maybe he should be worth X but the average team isn't going to value him the same and give up enough to make it worthwhile.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Serious question, do you honestly think they will? Supposedly they don't want to trade Sandin period, and they shouldn't. So the idea of them trading him and a first for Gudas is extremely far fetched. Johnsson and a first, maybe but I find that very unlikely. This just proves my point though, Gudas has more value to the Flyers than he does in a trade. We see the value in him for the Flyers and think maybe he should be worth X but the average team isn't going to value him the same and give up enough to make it worthwhile.

I said Sandin and a second. I think Johnsson and a first is a pretty easy yes for Toronto.

We're still pretty far away from the deadline. so a lot of teams can talk tough about what they won't trade. So Dubas won't trade Kapanen and won't trade Sandin? OK. Dubas is one of the GMs who knows exactly how good Gudas is, he doesn't have too many other non-critical assets that would interest a team like the Flyers, and the window for this exact iteration of the TML isn't extremely long -- they're not going to be able to afford everybody.

Assuming that Fletcher doesn't pull a Hextall and just trade Gudas to the first team he talks to a la Hartnell, he can get exactly what he wants.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I think there's some validity in this comment.
Who was the last Flyer who was a natural winger and who was a sniper?
Leclair, Gagne were drafted as centers

Propp, Kerr, Tocchet, Sinasalo?

Maybe it means nothing but I think somewhere in this post there is a valid point.
goal scorers are goal scorers...it doesn't matter what forward position they play.

Our 3 best forwards (28,14,93) are all not goal scorer talents.

I have hope for TK (sadly he hasn't really improved on last year), and big hope for Patrick...who flashes the ability.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I said Sandin and a second. I think Johnsson and a first is a pretty easy yes for Toronto.
The Leafs aren't looking to trade Sandin period. They sure as hell aren't trading him for Gudas, and trading him AND a first round pick for Gudas is ridiculous. Go propose that on the main board and see what happens. You lose all credibility on the conversation immediately by even bringing that up and lose all credibility on it with the bold comment as well.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I agree with this. MacDonald could be moved if we retain salary, and he actually would be great depth for a team making a playoff run. But, we would either have to eat a returning bad contract, or retain salary. I don't want to buy him out.

If we don't intend to keep Raffl, he'd bring us something like a 3rd round pick you'd think.
retaining 50% is no big deal for Amac. I wouldn't trade him for a bad contract with term....

His buyout isn't that bad at this point really.

With retain...im sure he's dealable.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
The Leafs aren't looking to trade Sandin period. They sure as hell aren't trading him for Gudas, and trading him AND a first round pick for Gudas is ridiculous. Go propose that on the main board and see what happens. You lose all credibility on the conversation immediately by even bringing that up and lose all credibility on it with the bold comment as well.

For the third time I said Sandin and a second.

If Toronto isn't willing to trade a 6th-round/3rd line winger and a first for Gudas then they aren't going to improve their defense.

Players worse than Gudas get traded for first round picks literally all the time.

Your position that Gudas is incredibly valuable yet no one will give up a lot for him doesn't make any sense.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
At this point Id rather trade 1 year of Gudas for 9 years of a team controlled mystery box.

Reactions: baudib1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille