Post-Game Talk: Trade Deadline Day

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
He didn't outplay the guys they have. Seriously, he saw no shots in Vancouver, and was much worse than Schneider(and Reims, and Scrivens). Last years Lu was not as good as this years Reimer. Again, huge difference in the D and system. If he doesn't turn back the clock at least 2 years the team is worse with him. I think he could bounce back, but i would not bet the farm he bounces all the way back to elite. People kept talking like he was an upgrade but the number show he wasn't. Huge relief that Nonis didn't bite. I don't want Luongo to fail, or the Canucks, but they shouldn't be able to drop that poison contract on someone else. Would peoplle take Vinny on just because he is better than Bozak? Close call. On to the playoffs!

If you remove the 8-3 loss to Detroit from his record, Luongo has something like a .918 save % this year.

Careful when reading too much into a goalie's stats when it's a shortened season and he's not playing the bulk of the games. One game can destroy them.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
If you remove the 8-3 loss to Detroit from his record, Luongo has something like a .918 save % this year.

Careful when reading too much into a goalie's stats when it's a shortened season and he's not playing the bulk of the games. One game can destroy them.

Same could be said for Reimer or any goalie

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario

Luongo has only started 14 games this year versus Reimer's 20. One bad start is going to weigh down his stats way more than Reimer.

Regardless, my point being you can't look at Luongo's .904 and say, "Wow, look how much better Reimer is." Come on...

KingBud97

Dec 15, 2006
Toronto
Gaborik to Columbus is a great place for gaborik to regain his touch, I wish the leafs made an offer
What do you guys think it would have cost the leafs?
Finn maybe blacker + MacArthur + komorov + 2nd but we would have to unload cap.

not saying we need him but I like the direction the jackets are going and have 3 1st still in this years draft

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Gaborik to Columbus is a great place for gaborik to regain his touch, I wish the leafs made an offer

not saying we need him but I like the direction the jackets are going and have 3 1st still in this years draft

Thats why they were able to unload their young players for him.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Bozak, Finn, Komarov would be the comparable players I think....

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008

You should read stats with a grain of sault anyway when you try to compare them from player to player. Too many variables not controlled so stats lie more than people even realize... ATTRIBUTES dictate who's better remember that the next time Reimer gets beat by a weak shot glove side or between the legs. Types of goals that a Luongo makes routine saves out of.

not ripping Reimer cause he's steady if not anything else but if anybody thinks he's in the class of Luongo just because of the stats really don't know what they're watching.

Stats are for nerds. Attributes, NHL tools is what is looked at more than anything else other wise why have SCOUTS both amateur or Pro?

This argument of stats that people use in an effort to sell Luongo short compared to Reimer is like all those tools from back in the day that were constantly ripping Sundin for the numbers he posted suggesting that he's not good enough or worth the money cause little Steve Sullivan put up similar numbers to him at half the cost of salary.

Sullivan was never in the same ball park to the level of player Sundin was even though the numbers suggested other wise. It's the same between Luongo and Reimer when you compare them the right way based on attributes Luongo is head and shoulders the better goalie starting with the better glove hand that Reimer doesn't have at all and work your way down from there. The only thing Reimer has on Luongo is age and contract that's it.

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
You should read stats with a grain of sault anyway when you try to compare them from player to player. Too many variables not controlled so stats lie more than people even realize... ATTRIBUTES dictate who's better remember that the next time Reimer gets beat by a weak shot glove side or between the legs. Types of goals that a Luongo makes routine saves out of.

not ripping Reimer cause he's steady if not anything else but if anybody thinks he's in the class of Luongo just because of the stats really don't know what they're watching.

Stats are for nerds. Attributes, NHL tools is what is looked at more than anything else other wise why have SCOUTS both amateur or Pro?

This argument of stats that people use in an effort to sell Luongo short compared to Reimer is like all those tools from back in the day that were constantly ripping Sundin for the numbers he posted suggesting that he's not good enough or worth the money cause little Steve Sullivan put up similar numbers to him at half the cost of salary.

Sullivan was never in the same ball park to the level of player Sundin was even though the numbers suggested other wise. It's the same between Luongo and Reimer when you compare them the right way based on attributes Luongo is head and shoulders the better goalie starting with the better glove hand that Reimer doesn't have at all and work your way down from there. The only thing Reimer has on Luongo is age and contract that's it.

Let's just forget about the score each game; they should consult you to see who you feel deserved to win.

JMcLeaf

Trades are working out great for Rangers so far

Clowe 2g 1a
Brassard 1g 3a
Moore 1g

game not over

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Oh believe me, im one of the last guys to look at stats. People who treat advanced stats like gospel drive me bonkers. I agree Lu is a better goalie. Theres no arguing that. But the difference between Lu, and what I can foresee Reimer providing for us is not worth the age difference, and more importantly that contract.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/...from+Avalanche+fourthround/8190879/story.html

Nonis said he was close on a couple of other deals that could have helped a Maple Leafs team that is relatively thin on playoff experience.

"Those players are pretty hard to come by. There's a couple that had playoff experience but weren't capable of helping us," he said. "The one thing a player with experience has to be able to do is get into the lineup, otherwise he's not going to be able to help you."

MiniMoose

Apr 12, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
I'm happy Nonis didn't trade Scrivens for Luongo. His contract sucks and I'd rather go with the Youth Movement. Besides, although Scrivens is shaky at times he is having a pretty solid year for his first real year in the Big League.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Clowe would have made a great Leaf. Scooped by nyr again. I like Nonis patience, but bottom line lots of teams around us got better too. This team could have used a boost heading into the playoffs.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Clowe would have made a great Leaf. Scooped by nyr again. I like Nonis patience, but bottom line lots of teams around us got better too. This team could have used a boost heading into the playoffs.

Who from the 2-10 range got better?

NYR made some lateral moves. WPG, Mon, NJ, NYI didnt do anything.

All Ottawa did is get conacher.

Boston is the only one that got significantly better with jagr.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Luongo has only started 14 games this year versus Reimer's 20. One bad start is going to weigh down his stats way more than Reimer.

Regardless, my point being you can't look at Luongo's .904 and say, "Wow, look how much better Reimer is." Come on...

I looked at it and if we take away Reimer's 6 games after coming back form injury (least likely to be indicative of his play) to match Luongo's 14 games, Reimer's sv% is about .925 which is one of the top in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad