Post-Game Talk: Trade Deadline Day

beleaf67

Mar 2, 2013
Ottawa Valley
very good day, no keeper/lou. I hoped for Robidas, but got a lesser depth d-men, which is still good move. The young guys who got us this far will be able to get their first dips in the playoffs as a group. There is no pressure on this group even if it means early first round exit. I'm pretty sure Nonis will make necessary improvements/additions after the season is over....

GO LEAFS GO !!!

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/23232/rumblings-luongo-deal-fails-to-launch

The Vancouver Canucks lowered their demands in a Roberto Luongo deal in the final 60 minutes before Wednesday’s 3 p.m. ET trade deadline, but not enough apparently to convince the Toronto Maple Leafs to swallow the star goalie’s massive contract.

Sources tell ESPN.com that the Canucks were willing to unload Luongo on Toronto for goalie Ben Scrivens and a pair of second-round picks in their final, final offer before the minutes ticked away.

The answer was still no by Toronto, which felt all along that no other team in the NHL was even remotely interested in Luongo and because of that, the Canucks essentially should be giving him away.

Not that Vancouver’s last offer wasn’t close. I suspect that if the Canucks were willing to retain a bit of Luongo’s salary in the trade -- a new feature in this CBA -- that the Leafs might have pulled the trigger.

So they were somewhat close to a trade, which is why the Canucks pulled Luongo off the ice in Vancouver before the end of practice just in case they got a deal done and needed the netminder to sign off on waiving his no-trade clause.

But there was no deal.

DaveT83*

Burke; Kadri + Bozak + 1st " Where do I sign?"

Nonis: Scrivens 2x 2nd Rounders " No Thanks"

carlyle

Feb 20, 2013
Burke; Kadri + Bozak + 1st " Where do I sign?"

Nonis: Scrivens 2x 2nd Rounders " No Thanks"

This couldnt be true. The rumor was that Luongo declined the trade but he said today that he was never even given a list of teams that were interested in him, let alone decide if he wanted to waive the NTC.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
If that was the case, Kadri would be a Nuck right now.

Well weather true or not luongo wanted canucks to trade him to Florida because he was made aware they would pursue man according to Maclean. Then Shannon reported Kadri+bozak once cba lifted and 3 days before that happens Burke was fired.

Reporters asked Nonis what makes him different then Burke, responded his more patient then Brian.

Who really knows, I am not saying I believe any of this heresy stuff but who really knows...

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
They will probably have to buy him out in the summer. Lesser of the two evils. Good for Nonis for not biting on that contract.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
What's the interest in Luongo?

The guy was an elite goaltender - yes.

The guy has a terrible contract, both in length and in cap hit.

The guy is not 25 years old, he's turning what, 34?

This team is not ready to contend in the next year, and definitely not this year.

What is the idea behind crippling yourself financially (cap related, not money related) for a guy who will be basically finished by the time your team is ready to compete.

I wouldn't take Luongo if Gillis offered him for a 6th round pick. Unless I cleared it with the guys upstairs saying that at the end of next season he'd be getting bought out.

He didn't outplay the guys they have. Seriously, he saw no shots in Vancouver, and was much worse than Schneider(and Reims, and Scrivens). Last years Lu was not as good as this years Reimer. Again, huge difference in the D and system. If he doesn't turn back the clock at least 2 years the team is worse with him. I think he could bounce back, but i would not bet the farm he bounces all the way back to elite. People kept talking like he was an upgrade but the number show he wasn't. Huge relief that Nonis didn't bite. I don't want Luongo to fail, or the Canucks, but they shouldn't be able to drop that poison contract on someone else. Would peoplle take Vinny on just because he is better than Bozak? Close call. On to the playoffs!

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I can't imagine that Martin Erat went for Filip Forsberg. I would have definitely shifted out a forward like MacArthur to have gotten Forsberg, playoffs or none.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
I can't imagine that Martin Erat went for Filip Forsberg. I would have definitely shifted out a forward like MacArthur to have gotten Forsberg, playoffs or none.

Erat is definitely a lot better then MccArthur though (not that MccArthur is bad..but Erat can be lights out when he's on)..but regardless Nonis was not looking to trade any of our roster players..only add..

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Even though I didn't want Luongo, I legitimately feel bad for the guy.

He has been nothing but a professional in this mess and is only human. I feel for the guy.

Gillis should have brought his asking price way down so Lu could go somewhere.

Even Feaster the moron listened to Iggy when he was in a similar situation, why didnt Gillis do the same for Lu?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad