Post-Game Talk: Trade Deadline Day

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
Open your eyes bud.

The issue with Luongo isn't with his ability, or the price.

It's his contract.

Unless he re-negotiates, or gets bought out, he's not going anywhere. That was the frustration that you saw etched on his face today during that press conference.

No such thing as a re-negotiation on an NHL contract. The CBA specifically prohibits it no matter what.

The buyout cost would be $27 million for Vancouver. Could you imagine telling the owners that you're going to pay $27 million so Luongo can compete against your team? Instantly fired.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
No such thing as a re-negotiation on an NHL contract. The CBA specifically prohibits it no matter what.

The buyout cost would be $27 million for Vancouver. Could you imagine telling the owners that you're going to pay $27 million so Luongo can compete against your team? Instantly fired.

I only suggested re-negotiating because someone asked Gillis about it in his presser. He refused to get into it, but didn't say it wasn't allowed, so not sure. I think you are right now (not allowed).

The only way Gillis could potentially sell a buyout to the owners is if he could convince them that the cap space he saves could be used to sign a marquee free agent. On the outside looking in, an amnesty buyout is the only option, seeing as it appears as though Gillis is set on not letting Luongo go for nothing.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
I only suggested re-negotiating because someone asked Gillis about it in his presser. He refused to get into it, but didn't say it wasn't allowed, so not sure. I think you are right now (not allowed).

The only way Gillis could potentially sell a buyout to the owners is if he could convince them that the cap space he saves could be used to sign a marquee free agent. On the outside looking in, an amnesty buyout is the only option, seeing as it appears as though Gillis is set on not letting Luongo go for nothing.

I can't find the most recent CBA, but in the previous CBA it was section 11.10 that outlined the rules of renegotiating a contract.

11.10 No Renegotiation.

In no event shall a Club and a Player negotiate a change in
any terms of a Player SPC for the then-current season or for any remaining season of an
SPC. This provision shall not prohibit a Player and Club from negotiating an extension
to an existing SPC in accordance with the terms of Section 50.5(f) hereof or from
negotiating a new or reformed SPC or Offer Sheet in the limited context and time-frame
expressly set forth in Section 11.6(a)(vi) above.

11.6(a)(vi) talks about what happens if the league rejects a contract, so it doesn't really provide an out.

I doubt that the rules surrounding this clause have changed in the new CBA. I haven't heard anything about it so it's probably safe to assume this clause is identical in the new CBA.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
rangers were a two line team, and tbh mismatched on that 2nd line. they need bigger bodies on the 2nd and 3rd lines. and they were betting on kreider to have a break out season (didnt happen). basically, this allows them to bump everyone down a notch, which should put them back on track.

hasnt helped that nash-richards-gaborik have been playing like 3rd liners all season. lots of rags fans calling for heads to roll since mid february.

not sure why your lumping Nash in there with Richards and Gaborik, he's playing at a ppg pace and is a +14 2nd highest on the team, while Richards and Gaborik are both negative players. Nash has easily been NYR's best player all year.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Nashville did the right thing. They're 9th right now but I don't think they're contenders at all.

Giving up on Erat, who wasn't having a great season for them in the first place and getting a very good C prospect, a position they lack depth in, was very wise by Poile.

GenericFan2*

Love the Preds, watch them more than any other team (except the Leafs) so i'm glad they were able to rob the Caps in this one.

Forsberg is gonna be huge for that franchise, but Erat was a big part of the Preds, too.

Jacob8hockey*

Some Canucks fans are absolutely loosing their **** over Luo not getting traded! Hilarious! Some of the can not understand why we didn`t do the deal. Maybe they haven't seen his contract.

And this is coming from someone who wanted Luo.

I atleast understand why is wasn't done.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Some Canucks fans are absolutely loosing their **** over Luo not getting traded! Hilarious! Some of the can not understand why we didn`t do the deal. Maybe they haven't seen his contract.

And this is coming from someone who wanted Luo.

I atleast understand why is wasn't done.

Not only that but we need to see what Reimer can do in the playoffs. I think if he falters in the playoffs, we make the push for Lou in the off-season.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
What's the interest in Luongo?

The guy is an elite goaltender - yes.

The guy has a terrible contract, both in length and in cap hit.

The guy is not 25 years old, he's turning what, 34?

This team is not ready to contend in the next year, and definitely not this year.

What is the idea behind crippling yourself financially (cap related, not money related) for a guy who will be basically finished by the time your team is ready to compete.

I wouldn't take Luongo if Gillis offered him for a 6th round pick. Unless I cleared it with the guys upstairs saying that at the end of next season he'd be getting bought out.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Nashville did the right thing. They're 9th right now but I don't think they're contenders at all.

Giving up on Erat, who wasn't having a great season for them in the first place and getting a very good C prospect, a position they lack depth in, was very wise by Poile.

On the side of the coin, seems a fair number of Caps fans are NOT pleased by this turn of events.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Maybe Filip Forsberg isn't as good as people first thought?

Teams don't just trade their first round pick..especially a guy that was projected to go top 5 for 3rd liners or 30 year olds..

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Why... why did Ottawa trade Ben Bishop? (Unless that's not the goal tender who was saving their bacon when Anderson went down).

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Maybe Filip Forsberg isn't as good as people first thought?

Teams don't just trade their first round pick..especially a guy that was projected to go top 5 for 3rd liners or 30 year olds..

McPhee is likely trying to save his skin here. He misses the playoffs and he gets the axe almost assuredly.

And as much as we all love prospects around here, he DIDNT go top 5, now hes been traded.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Why... why did Ottawa trade Ben Bishop? (Unless that's not the goal tender who was saving their bacon when Anderson went down).

4-0 :sarcasm:

Joking aside, I think they're confident enough with Anderson + Lehner tandem moving forward as I thought Bishop was their no.3 goalie anyway.

sangreale

Feb 21, 2008
Didn't give up any youth or significant picks. Didn't take on any stooopid contracts. Whats not to like! :thumbu:

SteveV*

Now the sober reality that this was never a "hockey trade" will dawn on Gillis. In reality, fact any team was willing to take the contract alone, for NOTHING, was a great deal for Vancouver. Enjoy the salary cap going down, enjoy the compliance buyout, your boy gets older by the minute and NO suitors. Gillis should be canned for this debacle.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
As expected, too scared to risk their playoff position by shipping a couple of guys out, but not confident enough to add anything that could help the team go deeper in playoffs.
Still in no mans land. Oh well, I guess patience is the order of the day.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I think the Leafs did really well doing very little. This team needs time and patience and that is what Nonis gave them. A depth guy on D if Fraser would get injured or suspended was a good move imo.

Overall it was a pretty exciting trade dead line, seeing how much happened in the last hour. Columbus did well. Traded away an underperforming youngster and some depth and got a star player back who have struggled to this season.
Washington crapped the bed by trading away Forsberg. Some good potential in that player but good move for Nashville.
Also nice that Pomonville was moved to the West. Minnesota is a good team for him as well. I really like the moves Minnesota have done in the last year even do the price for Pommonville was a bit high to be honest, seeing the 1st they throw in there.

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
Exactly my point. The deal was in place.

Kipper vetoed it though, despite not having an NTC.

The Leafs honored it though. Apparently last night Kipper was set on Toronto, but this morning made the decision that he didn't want to uproot his family and his newborn baby and his wife, who apparently had some setbacks and complications within her surgery.

So that's that.

I'm not mad at Kipper. I think the Leafs did their due diligence and I'm glad that the Leafs honored Kipper's decision and didn't get upset at him.
not sure the Leafs honored anything; what choice did they have?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad