Trade Deadline Day thread (new title)

kiekkoisa

Jan 11, 2019
I got an idea for Jarmo:
Sell Murray, Anderson, Nyqvist, Nash for picks.
Buyout Wennberg, save 4m cap)
Sign Dubois for real contract 9m cap hit
Sign Taylor Hall for 9,5m cap hit
Won lord stanley

Gavrikov will play Murray minutes.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Lebruns take via the Athletic on the CBJ deadline plans. His take is pretty much along the lines of what most have thought here:

Columbus Blue Jackets
A year ago, there was no bigger player at the deadline than Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen, who decided to go all-in by believing in his team, keeping pending UFA stars Artemi Panarin and Sergei Bobrovsky, adding Matt Duchene and Ryan Dzingel as rentals and then proceeding to shock 62-win Tampa Bay in the first round. Fun! Not to say the Blue Jackets GM won’t make any news before this trade deadline but in all likelihood he won’t be the top headline. For starters, because the team doesn’t own a second- or third-round pick in the June draft or a second-round draft pick in 2021, the team’s first-rounder for June is completely off limits. And really, I don’t think the resurgent Jackets get in on the rental player market in any meaningful way. But because the team does have a healthy salary cap situation, it could potentially weaponize it to either improve the roster or get some draft picks back. If the Jackets do add a player it will be in the form of a top-nine forward and most likely a player that has term left on his deal past year this year, so a hockey deal. They would deal from their surplus on D if possible.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I got an idea for Jarmo:
Won lord stanley

So we lose a top 4 defenseman, top 6 forward, two middle six forwards, and 4th line player

Add a top line player

And it makes us better?

Reactions: CharlotteJacket

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I respect everyone's opinion here...well I try to anyway

But those throwing out Josh Anderson's name in trade's have forgotten how effective and hard to play against this guy is when healthy.

Just gonna leave it at that

When, if ever, will he be healthy and playing like that again? He may come back and start up from where he was preinjury. But it's just as likely that that effective player is gone and he'll be a shell of his former self.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area

But those throwing out Josh Anderson's name in trade's have forgotten how effective and hard to play against this guy is when healthy.

It’s going to be a gamble for the Jackets. Either he returns to his great goal scoring form or continues his lackluster performance ultimately leading to his demotion. I think the former is more likely to happen, but we will see. However, if we receive an overpayment, he should be dealt.

Reactions: Madifer

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I got an idea for Jarmo:
Won lord stanley

I don’t want Taylor Hall anywhere near Jackets.

Besides, the top UFA will not sign here, it’s known.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
It’s going to be a gamble for the Jackets. Either he returns to his great goal scoring form or continues his lackluster performance ultimately leading to his demotion. I think the former is more likely to happen, but we will see. However, if we receive an overpayment, he should be dealt.
I don't remember where I read it, but the article quoted a couple of GM's saying that Anderson is "intriguing," whatever that means.

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio

I had shoulder surgery recently (also play adult league hockey) I know I’m biased, but from now on whenever I hear about someone with a shoulder injury... they get a year mulligan from the time “they come back” from me

what werenski did, like always, it’s amazing

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Yes, it is.w

Interesting. I guess Adam Foote, Nathan Horton, and Gus Nyquist never happened. Odd.

(Yes, some of these guys might NOT have been the "top" ufa guy but all three were very high on the list.)

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Interesting. I guess Adam Foote, Nathan Horton, and Gus Nyquist never happened. Odd.

(Yes, some of these guys might NOT have been the "top" ufa guy but all three were very high on the list.)
Foote is probably the only person that fits the category of a "star" player signing with the CBJ. The reason Horton signed with us was financial. We were the only team willing to pay him what he wanted. As far as Nyquist goes, I like Gus, but he's more of a supplemental player rather than the center of the team.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Lebruns take via the Athletic on the CBJ deadline plans. His take is pretty much along the lines of what most have thought here:

Columbus Blue Jackets
A year ago, there was no bigger player at the deadline than Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen, who decided to go all-in by believing in his team, keeping pending UFA stars Artemi Panarin and Sergei Bobrovsky, adding Matt Duchene and Ryan Dzingel as rentals and then proceeding to shock 62-win Tampa Bay in the first round. Fun! Not to say the Blue Jackets GM won’t make any news before this trade deadline but in all likelihood he won’t be the top headline. For starters, because the team doesn’t own a second- or third-round pick in the June draft or a second-round draft pick in 2021, the team’s first-rounder for June is completely off limits. And really, I don’t think the resurgent Jackets get in on the rental player market in any meaningful way. But because the team does have a healthy salary cap situation, it could potentially weaponize it to either improve the roster or get some draft picks back. If the Jackets do add a player it will be in the form of a top-nine forward and most likely a player that has term left on his deal past year this year, so a hockey deal. They would deal from their surplus on D if possible.
It’s pretty much the only way really. We don’t have adequate draft picks to use for value so you would have to trade from the current roster while being careful to not upset the chemistry in the locker room and on the ice.

Reactions: Toe Pick

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I've seen whispers that the Avs would like to add a RHD and they are down on Tyson Jost. I realize I may come off as a Savard hater (I'm not) but I wonder if a move with Savard for Jost and a 1st would be considered. At this point I don't see Savard as part of a long term Cup winning team in Columbus. He's likely gone next year or the following off season as a UFA. His value is very high right now and I don't think moving him throws in the towel on the season. He would be a big loss, don't get me wrong. He plays a hard game, blocks a ton of shots and is very valuable to us as well. I'm just thinking of maximizing assets. Tyson Jost still has huge upside as a 2C and the 1st is another good asset.

By the way, I realize I may suck at these things but this was more a concept than maybe the ideal fit. Just for discussion. Flame away

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

Foote is probably the only person that fits the category of a "star" player signing with the CBJ. The reason Horton signed with us was financial. We were the only team willing to pay him what he wanted. As far as Nyquist goes, I like Gus, but he's more of a supplemental player rather than the center of the team.
As @CBJWennberg10 cites, I know we haven’t signed many big name free agents - and in some ways I’m ok with that. Sure I’d have liked to resign Bread or a comparable replacement, but the pricetag impacts a team’s flexibility. For our franchise, The Blues or Bruins cap structure model may be more attractive to follow. Granted the Bruins are a bit misleading as they’ve gotten some hometown discounts on several stars. But what both teams have is .the ability to build lots of depth. The Blues, in particular, have many parallels to our team - depth at D and young goaltending - and I think we are just a center away from being very comparably structured. You can argue that Tarasenko is a difference maker that maybe we lack, but even he is locked in at $7.5M for several more years......in the final analysis, I can live without a $10M contract if the extra $6-8M guys are the right guys.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I've seen whispers that the Avs would like to add a RHD and they are down on Tyson Jost. I realize I may come off as a Savard hater (I'm not) but I wonder if a move with Savard for Jost and a 1st would be considered. At this point I don't see Savard as part of a long term Cup winning team in Columbus. He's likely gone next year or the following off season as a UFA. His value is very high right now and I don't think moving him throws in the towel on the season. He would be a big loss, don't get me wrong. He plays a hard game, blocks a ton of shots and is very valuable to us as well. I'm just thinking of maximizing assets. Tyson Jost still has huge upside as a 2C and the 1st is another good asset.

By the way, I realize I may suck at these things but this was more a concept than maybe the ideal fit. Just for discussion. Flame away

Interesting proposal that I've seen somewhere on these boards before (maybe from you). But I would not do this at this time. He is a big part on the defensive side of the puck as you said even with some of his warts (plays hard, big body, blocks shots, etc.). I also believe his value right now may be no different this trade deadline then next. It also gives more time for Peeke to develop into Savards role in Cleveland (not that they are the same type of player). If the argument is that he has an extra year on his contract thus it makes him more valuable now I would suggest that maybe teams would be looking at him as a true rental with no expectations to extend him and his value would still be high as multiple teams may be bidding on him.

I think the trade value you suggested may be a bit high for him but I would support a Jost and 1st for him. Have to see where this team is at the deadline. If they are close they have to try to make it in and they should keep him. But if they bottom out and look out of it, it's time to make a move and he shouldn't be the only one.

Reactions: cslebn and Viqsi

jacketsnation

Jul 25, 2017
Ryan Getzlaf would be a huge grab if we could pullit off. Doubt ana lets him go for less than a bounty tho

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Feds? Or did we trade for him? I can’t remember and I’m too lazy to look. Of course he was a shell of his former self at the time but still he was a name.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

Uhm what?

Boston's reaction to Horton walking says all. They're even willing to deal young Tyler Seguin to make room for Horton. So, if you want to say his move here was financial (which is kind of the point of free agency and also doesn't discredit Horton being the top dog on the market) at least don't downplay his interest on the market like we were the only team trying to sign him.

Nyquist being a supplemental player doesn't mean he wasn't a top UFA. He was arguably the top UFA other than the guys who walked from us, who we obviously had no chance to sign for purely different reasons.

Reactions: Lumbus

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Moving Savard is a tough call for me for a lot of the reasons outlined above. He may have the 3rd highest trade value on our D, and it is hard to see him sticking here after next season. It’s not impossible to keep him around, but it’s very much a risk that we lose him for nothing in two summers. But losing him right now would be some big shoes to fill - it would arguably be the biggest hit to the group outside of losing Jones or Werenski.

That being said, if he was moved I don’t feel like a Jost+1st package is Jarmos style, although it’s interesting enough to me (because multiple 1sts for the first time in a while). I feel like it would be more of a Savard+ for a higher end target.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad