Trade Deadline Day thread (new title)

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
AP either has a pretty good inside source, or he's doing a lot of speculating to generate hype and gain subscribers.

I've read/heard nothing about a trade outside of this article.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Considering we’re doing well without him, he’s got no choice but to rebound after the injury. If he doesn’t it’s simple - he has no leverage to demand a big contract or if he does, he gets moved as we can certainly find a buyer

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
I would not be so opposed. But I would be very shocked if they go for that. (Put it this way - would you accept a package like that for PLD? I sure as heck wouldn't.)

I was going to say almost this exact thing. I just don't see why San Jose is going to trade away their 26 year old 1C who is on a great contract, even if it's for a #1 goalie.

Just looking at past goalie trades I think most posters on here would be really disappointed for the return Korpi or Elvis would bring. For whatever reason NHL GMs just don't offer premium returns for goalies like they do top6 forwards or top4 dmen.

Reactions: Viqsi

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
Considering we’re doing well without him, he’s got no choice but to rebound after the injury. If he doesn’t it’s simple - he has no leverage to demand a big contract or if he does, he gets moved as we can certainly find a buyer

His leverage is sign me long term or I'll sign my $2.1m QO and walk after next season. As you note he could certainly be moved in that case but at some point Jarmo needs to determine the horses he's riding with and keep them together. All these 2-3 year deals he is signing guys to are great for cap hits but all I see is Jarmo kicking the can down the road. Right now besides Cam there are zero guys that I would consider core players signed after the 2021-22 season and that's terrifying to me.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Well if AP is reporting he’ll be traded, we can expect Anderson to sign an extension soon.
Maybe but I don't think it is likely.

The scenario is that Anderson felt lowballed by the last contract which was a short term and risky one. Had he produced this year like he did last year, he would likely be looking at a major payday.

Instead, he is shooting at 1.6% and suffered an injury which sidelined him for a significant number of games. That's a nightmare scenario for a player on a "prove it" contract. And he seems to blame the team for this situation.

Last edited:

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I would not be so opposed. But I would be very shocked if they go for that. (Put it this way - would you accept a package like that for PLD? I sure as heck wouldn't.)

With any trade I try to ask if I’d do the reverse. I just can’t think of any trade that I would be interested in that involved us getting more assets. The only thing I think that I can think of would be a lateral trade involving not a key memeber that involved picking up multiple picks, say if we find someone wants to give a few mid-round picks for Kukan or something. I just think we are at a stage where we need to consolidate players, as evidenced by the complete lack of a drop off when 10 players got injured.

I don’t think there are too many fanbases that are ever interested in moving a top 6 center, or really are ever interested in losing the best (or highest scoring) player in the deal, but I still feel like there are teams that benefit in a couple scenarios. It’s still too early for a lot of teams to consider themselves rebuilding.

I also feel like what we are generally offering, which are defensemen outside Jones and Werenski and non top-line players, are generally going to get underwhelming responses from fans, but I think there may be interest from GMs around the league eventually.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
With any trade I try to ask if I’d do the reverse. I just can’t think of any trade that I would be interested in that involved us getting more assets. The only thing I think that I can think of would be a lateral trade involving not a key memeber that involved picking up multiple picks, say if we find someone wants to give a few mid-round picks for Kukan or something. I just think we are at a stage where we need to consolidate players, as evidenced by the complete lack of a drop off when 10 players got injured.

I don’t think there are too many fanbases that are ever interested in moving a top 6 center, or really are ever interested in losing the best (or highest scoring) player in the deal, but I still feel like there are teams that benefit in a couple scenarios. It’s still too early for a lot of teams to consider themselves rebuilding.

I also feel like what we are generally offering, which are defensemen outside Jones and Werenski and non top-line players, are generally going to get underwhelming responses from fans, but I think there may be interest from GMs around the league eventually.

CWNT: we need a #1c or #1 Left wing without damaging our core. Why would we trade assets for picks? Don't forget that the CBJ moved a #1 centreman to get a #1 defencemen. That was a pure hockey trade. Anderson's last contract negotiation was contentious.. but if the agent is bracing for a fight fire the guy, Anderson wants to be part of the solution for Columbus. This is a team he can be a star on if he can get healthy. If he can't no one will give us much for him anyway eh?

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Here’s the reality with Andy. Unless he or Bjork or Cam moves to LW, Andy is 3RW. For teams that see him playing in their top 6, his trade value increases beyond the 3RW value here.

It’s the same logic as to why Nashville traded Seth.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Here’s the reality with Andy. Unless he or Bjork or Cam moves to LW, Andy is 3RW. For teams that see him playing in their top 6, his trade value increases beyond the 3RW value here.

Don't forget Bemstrom's potential on that right side.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio

Don't forget Bemstrom's potential on that right side.

I am a long standing hockey fan (over 50 years) but I don't know the game as well as most admittedly. Keep that in mind with this comment. I look at Josh Anderson and I see Todd Bertuzzi. Big power forwards, skilled and can score but probably don't create much for themselves except on a breakaway and even then finishing odds are not great by themselves. Andy is generally a 3rd line shutdown guy more like a Nick Foligno who Andy would be paired with on the CBJ 3rd line. Put Andy on the top line with a pivot like Markus Naslund and the 3rd line grinder can become a huge point getter and one of the more feared offensive big men in the game. He has speed, he can muck it up in the corners and play strong in between the dots.. give him a Tyler Seguin at Centre and Andy's production goes up exponentially. I love Bjork and Cam but both need to be played with a talented big man like PL. I know Gerbe is showing us that heart really matters.. but opponents fear Andy and he also has a great motor and heart. We need to play to his strengths. Thanks for the time.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think the possibility of trading picks for a rental at the TDL is almost nonexistent. I don't see Andy being a guy teams would be looking at either unless he comes back soon and lights it up. Of course if that happens we won't be inclined to trade him.

If the Jackets come out of the break and fall out of contention then I could see a trade of a D for picks.

As far as Andy goes I think he is either re-signed long term by the draft or he is a prime trade candidate. I don't think Jarmo will risk losing him for nothing after a one year deal.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I’ve posted something similar but I can’t see a deal where the Jackets are sending a pick or picks. (And I’m among the many here at least who didn’t fret over last years deadline.)

To me that dramatically reduces the idea of a hole-filling vet, despite the fact this roster does have obvious holes. Not that you couldn’t do a small-ish deal with a depth defenseman...

Conversely, I think Jarmo could move Andy or Sonny or blueliner and for futures and not be seen as hampering this year’s team the opportunity to compete for a playoff spot.

I suppose something like the Saad deal which was for a player Jarmo intended to be a part of the club long term and which wasn’t primarily reliant on picks being spent is a thing that could happen. But as we all know, that fell in Jarmo’s lap so it seems unlikely.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I am a long standing hockey fan (over 50 years) but I don't know the game as well as most admittedly. Keep that in mind with this comment. I look at Josh Anderson and I see Todd Bertuzzi. Big power forwards, skilled and can score but probably don't create much for themselves except on a breakaway and even then finishing odds are not great by themselves. Andy is generally a 3rd line shutdown guy more like a Nick Foligno who Andy would be paired with on the CBJ 3rd line. Put Andy on the top line with a pivot like Markus Naslund and the 3rd line grinder can become a huge point getter and one of the more feared offensive big men in the game. He has speed, he can muck it up in the corners and play strong in between the dots.. give him a Tyler Seguin at Centre and Andy's production goes up exponentially. I love Bjork and Cam but both need to be played with a talented big man like PL. I know Gerbe is showing us that heart really matters.. but opponents fear Andy and he also has a great motor and heart. We need to play to his strengths. Thanks for the time.
Speaking of Todd Bertuzzi, I would take his nephew over Milano right now.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Shooting 17.5% and playing 19+ minutes/night on the top line does make a guy look pretty good. See: Dzingel, Ryan or Duclair, Anthony in Ottawa.
That, and the fact he is pretty good himself and has improved every year, unlike Milano. Dzingels numbers aren't much better than Milano's, so whatever. Duclair has 3 points in his last 12, so he might be coming back to normal for him. As far as trades go, unless someone comes up with a deal they can't refuse, they should stand pat, ride this year out, and see what can be done in the offseason. They probably weren't going to make the playoffs, and still may miss them, but don't force a trade.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I think that Patrick Marleau would be a GREAT fit here.

The Sharks have ZERO goaltending. Whichever prospect the Jackets like the least is better than anyone the Sharks have in their system.

Boom.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I think that Patrick Marleau would be a GREAT fit here.

The Sharks have ZERO goaltending. Whichever prospect the Jackets like the least is better than anyone the Sharks have in their system.

Boom.

Yes, let's trade a 25-year old #1 goalie for a 40-year old centerman who doesn't have 20 points this season. :badidea:

ETTHAKING67

Feb 12, 2019
Avs fan here in a couple of question/thought on the jackets.

- Do you think they will move Murray ? with the young Russian taking his spot Murray is expandable and could help you guys add picks for the draft while competing for a playoff spot.
- Hopefully you keep the core for now and see what changes can be made after the season with probably moving one of your two good goalies.
- Do you have any updates on Dubinsky ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad