Speculation: Trade Deadline #3 - Wings do nothing, MOD warning post #1

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Current Wings roster minus all the injured garbage = barely playoff team that is a first round exit if they get in

Roster with Helm, Sammy and Bert = playoff team that is a first round exit fodder.

Holland has literally turned this season into a complete waste of time. It's last season all over again minus that fancy home winning streak.

We learned nothing from this season that we already didn't know last season.

Looks like Z is drinking the Kenny Holland Koolaid.

“Getting some guys back, some new, fresh blood in, that’s the same as getting a player from another team,'' captain Henrik Zetterberg said. “I think we have a good squad in here and looking forward to the postseason.

Gotta love how delusional Holland is. I really hope he doesn't believe what he is saying.

“All of those (playoff) teams can go all of the way, especially on the Western side. You’ve got to make the playoffs, and when the playoffs start everyone starts over.”

Said general manager Ken Holland: “The regular season, it’s meaningful in the sense that you need to be in the top eight. But I think when the playoffs start, you can throw all the statistics in the garbage.''

If you lose a pair of gloves and find them two weeks later, do you have a new pair of gloves?

Last edited:

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Really you don't think a division with Boston Montreal Toronto and Ottawa is going to be stacked next year? You know what the difference between those teams and us is? They are actively trying to improve while we are content to make excuses and talk about past accomplishments.

Not at all. We're better then 3 of the teams there right now. What did the leafs do this trade deadline? Pick up a #6 dman? Montreal didn't do anything? Buffalo sold off and is not going be a threat for at least 2-3 years. Tampa Bay gambled on another goalie dealing from a position of strength and Florida just sat there waiting till they get another top 3 pick at the draft.

Boston is in their window of opportunity for competing for the cup. They've got a great young nucleus which was helped by the Kessel trade, they have their #1 d of the future, their #1 C & #1 G of the future as well. All of them were untouchable in trades. It made sense for them to go out and add because their direct competition did, they gave up very little to get Jagr.

Florida is still 2 years away from competing and Tampa is really hit or miss, if Bishop or Lindback become a #1 goalie the come close but their defence is still weak and if Vinny or St.Louis take a step back they aren't competing anytime soon.

I think we should easily finish 3rd in that division next year, behind Montreal & Boston, if we go out and pick up a game changer on the back end this offseason via trade I think we can compete with the Boston/Montreal for top spot.

Should we have traded some dead weight? Yes, but I'm not going to call it a waste that we didn't get an extra 2nd, or a couple extra 4/5/6th round picks. At the end of the Day while Holland hasn't gone out and made a big trade/signing recently he's been in the people he wants and he's been close a lot of the time.

If not for that last minute offer by Minny to Suter would we be calling Holland a genius right now? Signing Suter to the Long term deal at only a 6.9M cap hit, the leading Norris candidate for that what a steal. Sometimes it'll blow up in his face, Hossa comes to mind but the Salary cap aided that decision. He is one of the best at managing his cap and I think that's a skill that's really underrated around here. We have only 4 or 5 guys signed beyond next year so if we do intend on following the Oilers tank method we will be able to.

I don't want to make too many excuse for the guy but there are situations where you can't do anything else to win. If we're going to go for it let's not half ass it, let's trade everyone to fill the holes because we have enough of them, raid the farm and see where we are in 5 years. It's a moot point because that's not how Holland runs the ship. He has decided it's best to stock pile picks and prospects, seeing that you can no longer buy players it's a good idea. I may not agree with how he's handled somethings but he's earned the right to be able to work his way out of the situation he's put the team in.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Current Wings roster minus all the injured garbage = barely playoff team that is a first round exit if they get in

Roster with Helm, Sammy and Bert = playoff team that is a first round exit fodder.

Holland has literally turned this season into a complete waste of time. It's last season all over again minus that fancy home winning streak.

“Getting some guys back, some new, fresh blood in, that’s the same as getting a player from another team,'' captain Henrik Zetterberg said. “I think we have a good squad in here and looking forward to the postseason.

Gotta love how delusional Holland is. I really hope he doesn't believe what he is saying.

“All of those (playoff) teams can go all of the way, especially on the Western side. You’ve got to make the playoffs, and when the playoffs start everyone starts over.”

Said general manager Ken Holland: “The regular season, it’s meaningful in the sense that you need to be in the top eight. But I think when the playoffs start, you can throw all the statistics in the garbage.''

If you lose a pair of gloves and find them two weeks later, do you have a new pair of gloves?

Well, what could you possible expect Z to say? He's not going to call out his GM in an interview on the record.

And I think we learned a few things. Tatar is a proven NHL asset. Kindl is too. Brunner is worth it. Hopefully, Holland has also learned these things and will let some of the dead weight go this summer. That's about it.

I may not agree with how he's handled somethings but he's earned the right to be able to work his way out of the situation he's put the team in.
When does his time run out?

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
How many deadlines and free agency periods before we stop with the he couldn't do anything excuse. Why does it matter of he tried for Suter? Isn't it more important that he had all his egg in one basket with no backup plan? Stop acting like people are reacting to a single event. He has done nothing at all to improve this team for years now. Years, not one off season, not one trade deadline but multiple. He has done nothing but added to the problem by signing washed up retreads and trading for insignificant plugs.

Best at managing the cap? I'm seriously laughing at that skill because what the hell has cap space done for the team? Make it possible to sign broken down Sammy? A back up goalie that wasn't good enough for Toronto? Resign Bertuzzi who even when he does play doesn’t bring much? Tootoo who plays a few minutes a night? Resign kyle ****ing quincey? Well, holy hell it's a Damn good thing we had capspace for that!

Boston is better,Montreal is better, Ottawa when healthy is better, Toronto will probably be better. You realize we are one Datsyuk injury away from being a bottom feeder team, right? Right? Please tell me people are starting to get this. If not we have to have the most delusional fan base in the league.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
When does his time run out?

At the very least until 2 1/2 seasons. He's guided us this far, unless something completely crazy happens next year and he just ****s over our future I have no problem with letting him stay on until he finishes his contract.

I've accepted that these will be the lean years, if in say 3-4 years time we've tried the re-tool and it hasn't worked. We've missed the playoffs 2 years in a row, then we can start the chain saws and fire Holland chants.

I didn't want to trade for anyone that was on the market this year, I would like to stay the course, and continue to stockpile prospects. If the only thing we can get mad at Holland for doing is not picking up a couple of extra picks we need to realize it's not that big of a crime. The bigger crime is that Tatar is still in the AHL, that I can live with as long as we continue to win games, though I believe we've used up all of our call ups till playoffs. On the bright side Nyquist is up to stay, as is Andersson. Together with Tatar they've shown they can & will play in the NHL. Most would say it's a lost cause because we didn't get the kids into at least 85% of the games but I think what we're seeing is a full organization evaluation of who to keep for next year and the years beyond, not just seeing which prospects can play at the NHL level.

cupforwings09

Mar 30, 2010
Michigan

“All of those (playoff) teams can go all of the way, especially on the Western side. You’ve got to make the playoffs, and when the playoffs start everyone starts over.â€

So if the Wings finish 4th, which is realistic, they are barely a playoff team? I'm trying to follow this logic, or is this just your opinion?

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
If the Wings ice a playoff lineup of:

Brunner-Z-Flip
Nyquist-Datsyuk-Franzen
Tatar-Anderson-Abdelkader
Eaves-Helm-Tootoo

Kronwall-Ericsson
Kindl-Quincey
Smith- White/ Dekeyser/ Lashoff (whichever looks the best)

**Assuming Bert never makes it back, and Sammy continue to look like crap when healthy.

I will be less ticked about not picking up anyone at the deadline, because we are legitimately giving the kids a chance, injecting new blood into the lineup, and playing players that deserve to be in the lineup. This team needed a top 4 defensive dman and the only one that really got traded was Regher, and honestly I'd rather keep the two 2nds as we aren't going to win a cup this year and he isn't a long term solution. There were a few legit top 6 forwards available in Pom and Gabby but as long as Tatar, Nyquist, and Brunner are getting good playing time I don't mind not landing one. It'll be a lot better for the Wings if those players can develop. If Holland gives Flip 5 mil on a long term deal however I might go nuts....

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
So if the Wings finish 4th, which is realistic, they are barely a playoff team? I'm trying to follow this logic, or is this just your opinion?

You think they are more than barely a playoff team? If they finish fourth it means nothing more than most of the conference is mediocre. But worry not, this team isn't finishing fourth.

Chicago,Anaheim, Vancouver,St. Louis, Los Angeles and Minnesota are all better. Your red and white balloon will burst soon enough.

Detroit Sports*

How many deadlines and free agency periods before we stop with the he couldn't do anything excuse. Why does it matter of he tried for Suter? Isn't it more important that he had all his egg in one basket with no backup plan? Stop acting like people are reacting to a single event. He has done nothing at all to improve this team for years now. Years, not one off season, not one trade deadline but multiple. He has done nothing but added to the problem by signing washed up retreads and trading for insignificant plugs.

Best at managing the cap? I'm seriously laughing at that skill because what the hell has cap space done for the team? Make it possible to sign broken down Sammy? A back up goalie that wasn't good enough for Toronto? Resign Bertuzzi who even when he does play doesn’t bring much? Tootoo who plays a few minutes a night? Resign kyle ****ing quincey? Well, holy hell it's a Damn good thing we had capspace for that!

Boston is better,Montreal is better, Ottawa when healthy is better, Toronto will probably be better. You realize we are one Datsyuk injury away from being a bottom feeder team, right? Right? Please tell me people are starting to get this. If not we have to have the most delusional fan base in the league.

I seriously wish I could force KH to read this and then answer it! This sums up all my feelings.I am so pissed! Even if we got lucky and had a deep run this formula is not a good strategy.Its like going all-in pre flop in poker with a flexible hand in Holdem like a suited connector when you know your opponent has a big pair and then you draw out and say " when the flop turn and river comes everyone has a chance, percentages don't matter!" Holland is a ****ing donk!

GT500x

Im OK where we're at
Jun 15, 2008
My comfort zone
If the Wings ice a playoff lineup of:

Brunner-Z-Flip
Nyquist-Datsyuk-Franzen
Tatar-Anderson-Abdelkader
Eaves-Helm-Tootoo

Kronwall-Ericsson
Kindl-Quincey
Smith- White/ Dekeyser/ Lashoff (whichever looks the best)

**Assuming Bert never makes it back, and Sammy continue to look like crap when healthy.

I will be less ticked about not picking up anyone at the deadline, because we are legitimately giving the kids a chance, injecting new blood into the lineup, and playing players that deserve to be in the lineup. This team needed a top 4 defensive dman and the only one that really got traded was Regher, and honestly I'd rather keep the two 2nds as we aren't going to win a cup this year and he isn't a long term solution. There were a few legit top 6 forwards available in Pom and Gabby but as long as Tatar, Nyquist, and Brunner are getting good playing time I don't mind not landing one. It'll be a lot better for the Wings if those players can develop. If Holland gives Flip 5 mil on a long term deal however I might go nuts....

Swap Nyquist and Tatar and we can talk. You can't have too many playmakers and no one who WANTS to shoot on those top lines. Even still, outside of Datsyuk, that line up doesn't impress me.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Swap Nyquist and Tatar and we can talk. You can't have too many playmakers and no one who WANTS to shoot on those top lines. Even still, outside of Datsyuk, that line up doesn't impress me.

I don't disagree with what you are saying, but I think having Tatar on that third line makes it a potential offensive threat. Putting Nyquist on there does not. In contrast I think Nyquist could be a good partner for Dats if he is allowed to gain some confidence playing in a scoring role. In the above senario/lineup however Dats, Z, Flip, and Franzen would have to remember that shooting the puck is a good thing. Brunner is the only true shooter on the team and he doesn't even have that amazing of a shot.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

1. When the difference between 4th and 8th is going to be 1-2 points, maybe ROW, then it's not a big difference between 4th and barely making it.

2. Wings are not coming in 4th.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
1. When the difference between 4th and 8th is going to be 1-2 points, maybe ROW, then it's not a big difference between 4th and barely making it.

2. Wings are not coming in 4th.

if they do come in 4th will you quit the message board?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
if they do come in 4th will you quit the message board?

Only if you take the other side of that bet and quit if they finish lower.

No you don't have a new pair gloves. But to be fair, if you find your lost gloves you don't need a new pair anymore Agreed?
Terrible. Terrible. Terrible.

Your pair of gloves worked like crap last year. Holes everywhere. Hands got wet and cold in the snow. You lose them. You find them again. Have your gloves improved? Are they going to do better this year?

Wings didn't even make it out of the first round last year. By all accounts, this is a worse team. But... getting back some of the pieces from injury are going to... make this team not lose in the first round?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
If one glove leaves Cincinnati at 40 miles per hour and the other leaves St. Louis at 55 miles per hour, what does it sound like when doves cry?

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Only if you take the other side of that bet and quit if they finish lower.

Terrible. Terrible. Terrible.

Your pair of gloves worked like crap last year. Holes everywhere. Hands got wet and cold in the snow. You lose them. You find them again. Have your gloves improved? Are they going to do better this year?

Wings didn't even make it out of the first round last year. By all accounts, this is a worse team. But... getting back some of the pieces from injury are going to... make this team not lose in the first round?

None of us here have any SC winning expectations for the Wings this season.

Your hands are going to get wet (a first round loss for the Wings) whether we (1) continue using the old gloves with holes in them or we (2) put a few patches on the gloves (Bouwmeester, Jagr) to cover a couple of the many holes.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
If one glove leaves Cincinnati at 40 miles per hour and the other leaves St. Louis at 55 miles per hour, what does it sound like when doves cry?

Not sure, benchy. Only I can be sure of at this point is what the Wings need is gloves sweet gloves. It is the one thing there is just too little of..

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
“Over the last few days there were a couple of players we had some interest in, but we didn’t get it done,†Wings general Ken Holland said. “We offered some of (prospects). At the end of the day someone didn’t like them as much as we do or they liked someone else’s players better.â€

Some reality check.

Like it always goes, when some trades looks great, people are sayin "why didn't we go after this and that". Maybe we were after. But other teams had more interesting prospects the other side liked. Then the only option with less interesting prospetcs is to overplay with picks like Minnesota did for Pominville. And that's the wrong management in our situation. Maybe that's great management in Minnesota situation. Different organizations with different plans. Our plans didn't match with anybody, because you need two sides for a trade. We are not trading against a computer game.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI

“All of those (playoff) teams can go all of the way, especially on the Western side. You’ve got to make the playoffs, and when the playoffs start everyone starts over.â€

I seriously hope wings don't make the playoffs.

I'm not kidding.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad