Speculation: Trade Deadline #3 - Wings do nothing, MOD warning post #1

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
There's a huge sample of games in which Helm has played and not played.

The team does better with him in. He's good for the team. It's pretty simple in that respect.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I think Kenny might be a bit too emotional about trading away players, especially veterans, and probably not giving them extensions as well. I really hope that's not the case when he has to use the buyouts this summer.

Except for not trading White/Filppula (although we don't know what the offers were), I'm happy with what they did (didn't do) at the deadline.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
From Ottawa Sun:

The Wings listened to offers for C Valtteri Filppula at the deadline and they had a lot of interest. Detroit decided not to move him in the end but the Penguins, Bruins, Leafs and Rangers were all trying to see if they could entice the Wings to move Filppula.

Don't know what's their source, but I could believe there has been those talks.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Could see a lot of interest in Fils. He's got a load of talent, just can't seem to finish. Somebody probably thinks they can change that. I'm beginning to wonder

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Should have moved him, but we should have moved White, too. And probably one of CC or Quincey. We don't need nine or ten D on the roster and constantly moving them in and out of the lineup.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
We don't have the whole story. I want to know what the offers were before judging this a bad move or not.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
We don't have the whole story. I want to know what the offers were before judging this a bad move or not.

True. I'm not going to jump to conclusions and call not trading him a terrible move since we don't know what the offers are.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
I bet the offers were more than what will be offered after the season and before UFA. So Holland's options are now, most likely:

1) Get less after the season than he could have now (bad)
2) Let him walk as an UFA (worse)
3) Sign Flip to multiple years at $4.5+ per season (worst)

So, either way, I'll chalk this up to another lost opportunity to change the complexion of this team and make a bold move.

Especially considering how instrumental Flip has been towards the Wings push for the postseason (he has been even more invisible than he has been all season, if that is even possible), he should have been moved.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
True. I'm not going to jump to conclusions and call not trading him a terrible move since we don't know what the offers are.

Something is better than nothing, and we're not exactly in position to gear up for a long playoff run. Not moving him seems to be a middle of the road move foreshadowing us overpaying to keep him.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Something is better than nothing, and we're not exactly in position to gear up for a long playoff run. Not moving him seems to be a middle of the road move foreshadowing us overpaying to keep him.

it would be funny if we do so we can all listen to the holland "every move is a brillant one, remember 1998" explain why it is so

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Yeah, getting something could be better. But is really that much better than "letting him walk and avoid overpaying - and replace him with cheaper prospect" ? Or trading his negotiation rights at next summer?

Of course, trading him and avoiding overpaying at next summer - and replacing him with cheaper procpect would be the best possible choise on long run, but there's also those short-term plans.

They still want this team to win something at this season. Keep the best players. They refused to tank, like others here have wanted that.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
it would be funny if we do so we can all listen to the holland "every move is a brillant one, remember 1998" explain why it is so

I don't think keeping Flip is necessarily a bad move, depending on how much he gets paid and what we do with him. I just doubt he's going to sign for anything reasonable if he hasn't signed yet. And what we gave Howard doesn't fill me with confidence in Holland's negotiating tactics.

Yeah, getting something could be better. But is really that much better than "letting him walk and avoid overpaying - and replace him with cheaper prospect" ? Or trading his negotiation rights at next summer?

Of course, trading him and avoiding overpaying at next summer - and replacing him with cheaper procpect would be the best possible choise on long run, but there's also those short-term plans.

They still want this team to win something at this season. Keep the best players. They refused to tank, like others here have wanted that.

How much is Flip helping us right now? He's reverted back to the .4 ppg player he's been for most of his career. He could help us centering the third line, but with injuries we don't really have the depth on the wing to take advantage of him there.

Give us a nice enough deal, and I'm fine hanging onto him. I just don't see the point if he's asking for too much to re-sign, though.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"

I'm of the opinion that keeping an invisible Flip for a stretch run, while getting a diminishing return later on, is more in line with tanking than moving him for the best possible return.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
There is no reason Holland shouldn't have accepted a trade for Flip if he expects him to walk come July 1st.

Unless of course Holland is delusional enough to believe that the Wings have a shot at winning the cup as long as they get in. I seriously hope he doesn't believe that.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
If we're not planning on resigning him, that's a big mistake. Could've at least gotten a first.

Maybe in theory, but not necessarily in practice.

It's too bad we never get to hear about what offers come to the table. Full disclosure would probably make this board explode, though.

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
In Scenario two, we Become a "seller" at the deadline.

Lets say we sell Flip because he is a UFA.

How about Filppula and a conditional 2nd (based on both Filppula re-signing and the Wings making the playoffs) for Hudler?

Go ahead. Tell me with a straight face you would rather keep Flip at $4.5+ than have a proven, reliable scoring winger WHO CAN CARRY HIS OWN LINE in Hudler.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
How about Filppula and a conditional 2nd (based on both Filppula re-signing and the Wings making the playoffs) for Hudler?

Go ahead. Tell me with a straight face you would rather keep Flip at $4.5+ than have a proven, reliable scoring winger WHO CAN CARRY HIS OWN LINE in Hudler.

Eva, again. Give it up. Hudler is not coming back.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Hey Hudler score his 9th Goal last night. And has 25 points so far for the season that's more then we can say about Filppula who has about what 14 points so far I would rather have Hudler back myself then keep Filppula. at least Hudler plays his heart out on most night.

crashman

I really think Filppula is playing injured. You don't have a break-out season where he actually looked to take his game to another level, not just statistically, then slip back into mediocrity. It's his contract year, I'm think that's the reason he didn't undergo surgery or miss a bunch of time to let it heal.

He's a better player than he's showed this year. I'd be nice if Holland could sign him to a short-term contract, give him a chance to get his leg healed, and see if he can earn the long-term deal he's looking for next season. If he doesn't improve on how he has played this year, then by all means, I hope they let him go.

RedWingsNow*

Ken Holland's inability to act decisively ...

He needed to decide what he expected of this team. He did not.

Opportunities were wasted

RedWingsNow*

Maybe in theory, but not necessarily in practice.

It's too bad we never get to hear about what offers come to the table. Full disclosure would probably make this board explode, though.

People can can't be the guy who says "I'm glad we didn't trade for Bouwmeester or Gaborik or whoever, because the prices were too damn high ..."

You can't be that guy if you're saying "Holland probably couldn't get enough for Flip."

I think Flip probably nets you a first or a really good prospect.

He's a guy who is a proven playoff performer and winner.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
People can can't be the guy who says "I'm glad we didn't trade for Bouwmeester or Gaborik or whoever, because the prices were too damn high ..."

You can't be that guy if you're saying "Holland probably couldn't get enough for Flip."

I was one who thought that we could have taken a risk on Bouwmeester, and with Fil's poor season and impending UFA status, I'm not sure how high the demand was.

It is pretty clear that we have to sign him at this point or else Holland did end up making a big mistake.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

Iginla and Jagr trades say he wouldn't necessarily. It doesn't matter that Fil is younger, he was a rental and a worse one.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad