GDT: Trade deadline 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 15, 2007
I'm okay with not having done anything today....

But it makes the Siege trade even stupider.

Reactions: Misery74

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He probably is but cup caliber teams usually dumpster dive successfully for that sort of player and concentrate their cap on impact players. Someone like Rieder brings most if not all of what Hagelin does at this point and saves you 2 mil. Same thing with Panik to a greater extent.

Replace those 2 on a budget (like they did Panik with Sheary) and you suddenly have 4 million to throw at a high impact contributor while maintaining roster integrity. I'd prefer those 2 guys to be a Stephenson and a DSP/Chiasson is what I'm saying

Hagelin effectively replaced Beagle and Beagle was never a dumpster dive

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
He was in the KHL at that point. His next season in the NHL after that he had a whopping total of 54 pts.
Being in the KHL doesn't disprove that he was an excellent player at 37 years old.

The next season in the NHL was his age 40 season, where he had 54 points in 73 games, which is still great.

I don't know why you have against Jaromir Jagr, but its not proving any points. :laugh:

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
dont trade for a 3rd string goalie Yikes. This is starting to feel like the Erat deadline. please let 3pm go with no whammy

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't agree on the Kuzy assessment.

Ovi will be 37/38....father time always wins. He won't suck but he also won't be the best player on the team anymore.

Not sold that Carlson will still be a stud D. He will have a lot of miles on him given the minutes he plays.

Not a fan of Vrana and frankly I'm not convinced he will be here.

I'm not saying your wrong on any of this, I just don't happen to agree and have the same optimism.

1 statemente at a time.

Yes, Kuzy is unreliable and a lot rides on him unless McMichael turns into a 1c.
What I said was Ov would remain effective, not the best player on the team. I see no reason why at 38 Ovechkin wont be producing like TJ Oshie is.

I am not sure I have any more or less optimism than you do. I am saying that defensemen with Carlson's offense skill set as a rule unless damaged by significant injury remain effective into their late 30s. A power play unit of Carlson, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wilson and Kuzy is going to score. If Vrana or a replacement for him can score in the 30 goal range, you have Ov, Wilson and that player all capable of scoring 30 plus 2 elite playmakers.

What it depends on are McMichael, Fehervary and Samsonov/Vanecek. If those are good players, the Caps will be a good team.

Reactions: troyerlaw

Jun 15, 2007
I think Siegs requested a trade. It makes too much sense that he’d want to be moved during a crucial point in his career.

And it was partially to open up cap for Hall who decided to go with Boston

1) Then you say "Too bad. We need you. We'll trade you in the offseason if you still want a trade then"

2) Trading Siege freed up 0 cap space. He's on a minimum deal.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Sometimes the trade that doesn’t happen is as good as trade that does. Lavi (and GMBM) have been around for long enough to know what they want and what will fit. If they can’t find the right fit, not making a move is a good thing.

I would be fine with no moves, except a lot of teams have gone out and gotten better. We have not.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe

So the equivalent would have been a second + Fehervary? I’d have considered it for a couple of thirds, but I wouldn’t want to spend meaningful assets on a reclamation project at this time of the year.

How is Bernier not an upgrade over Samsonov (if it happens)?

He probably would be, but it would deprive Sammy of development time in the NHL, and quite probably lead to Bernier displacing Vanecek as starter just because. I don’t think Bernier is equivalent to or better than Vanecek right now.

Jun 15, 2007

So the equivalent would have been a second + Fehervary? I’d have considered it for a couple of thirds, but I wouldn’t want to spend meaningful assets on a reclamation project at this time of the year.

He probably would be, but it would deprive Sammy of development time in the NHL, and quite probably lead to Bernier displacing Vanecek as starter just because. I don’t think Bernier is equivalent to or better than Vanecek right now.

Way too much for Bennett. CGY wins that easy.

Reactions: HecticGlow
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad