GDT: Trade deadline 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don’t think for a moment GMBM would’ve paid Hagelin what he did if he’d known Hags would be on the fourth line by year 2 of 4. But Hags was quite obviously a fourth liner who still had the wheels and defensive prowess to hang with more skilled players if called on (though not as a producer). Remember in 2019 when we had Hagelin as our 2LW in playoff games? :confused:

If Panik had been what GMBM promised, his $2.75million would be about right. But he’s been none of those things, and I suspect Mac is finding it’s going to be expensive to get someone to buy 2 years of his contract in this economy.

Dillon has got a lot of value – physicality, penalty killing, decent wheels, and clearly a liked and vocal guy in the room. But it’s no secret he isn’t the smartest or most gaffe-proof player, and I think Mac underestimated how problematic that could be.

Jensen you’d only move for cap reasons, if you can get back something far more valuable than what you lose. His skating and steadiness are a welcome asset on this team right now.

The Caps 4th line is effectively their 3rd line. Right? Hagelin 9th on the team in TOI/g among forwards and is 6th in the league in SHTOI/g. Lets not ignore that the Caps pk% sucked before Hagelin and has been constently good since they got him. I think he is doing what they hired him to do.

Reactions: troyerlaw

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Did you not see Pinho in the bubble last year, and/or at the beginning of this year? That is not a viable option.

The problem is any depth center they get will be bad, otherwise they’d be in the lineup. If they get a center then I dunno send 4 first round picks to get Jack Eichel. I’d be happier with that than signing below replacement players as depth.

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
The problem is any depth center they get will be bad, otherwise they’d be in the lineup. If they get a center then I dunno send 4 first round picks to get Jack Eichel. I’d be happier with that than signing below replacement players as depth.
Who cares about draft picks at this point? Three of four year from now this team will suck, there is no avoiding that.

Reactions: crab and troyerlaw

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Exactly. We don’t need a depth center. If we get a center it should be a first or second line center and not many teams are trading those and we don’t have the cap space.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
But a guy like Laughton, if he could have been had, would have been good. McMichael clearly isn't an NHLer yet, I'm not sure Pinho will ever be one. I expected him to at least find another Boyd/Stephenson-like taxi squad tweener, if not an every day guy.

I guess Laughton would have been ok but he’d need to be in the lineup and not eating nachos. Given that, would Vrana come out of the lineup, or Sprong? What’s the marginal upgrade in someone like Laughton over those guys? I’d say it’d be negative in the case of Vrana, and minimal over Sprong.

If they want to shore up the C position then get a top 6 center. I don’t know who that is, which is why I threw out Eichel as an option. But don’t just get depth for the sake of getting depth.

It’s the same rationale I’m using for why they should target someone like Lindholm or Ekholm if they want to upgrade their D.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
For folks on here who seem to be concerned about using 1st round picks, I am genuinely curious why you are so concerned with using those to acquire a player. Any player the caps draft this summer or next year isn't going to help this current core take another run. Why are you even thinking about what the caps will be four or five year from now? They are going to suck in the future and there is no avoiding it. I am asking because I don't get the concern, that being said, I wouldn't give them away but I also wouldn't be afraid to use them.
Unless I completely missed it, I don’t see anyone saying they wouldn’t move a 1st rounder. Clearly BMac was willing to move a 1st if it was on the table for Foligno. Thank god he didn’t make that deal because it wouldn’t be worth it.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Look forward to the customary 'I mean of course we did our due diligence on a couple of possibilities, but I think we'd already done our deadline shopping in the off-season when we added Chara, Dillon, Schultz, Sheary and Sprong.'
And to be fair, that might be 100% true. They have NHL-quality players not getting sweaters every night. Also, they were rumored to be in on Hall and Foligno. Hall wanted to go to Boston and Toronto way over paid for Foligno. I get people wanting to do stuff but there are external factors at play and doing stuff for the sake of doing stuff is a sure way to make a shitty deal.

@TheLegendOfPatPeake again, I don't think you're seeing anyone afraid of using draft picks to make the team markedly better. There have been plenty of proposals here where a 1st is included. What a bunch of people, including myself, don't want to see is using solid assets on a dirt asset. Trading a 1st for a rental is almost always bad business, especially so this year considering the lack of quality on the trade board.

I personally don't see a rental deal out there that moves the needle. A depth center in theory sounds nice but if Kuzy or Backstrom go down and your centers are Kuzy or Backstrom and then Eller/Dowd/Glendening/insert other replacement level player here then they're probably toast anyway.

Reactions: HecticGlow

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
Unless I completely missed it, I don’t see anyone saying they wouldn’t move a 1st rounder. Clearly BMac was willing to move a 1st if it was on the table for Foligno. Thank god he didn’t make that deal because it wouldn’t be worth it.
Reading through the thread there seems to be a consensus that the caps shouldn't use their firsts. That is where this question comes from.

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
And to be fair, that might be 100% true. They have NHL-quality players not getting sweaters every night. Also, they were rumored to be in on Hall and Foligno. Hall wanted to go to Boston and Toronto way over paid for Foligno. I get people wanting to do stuff but there are external factors at play and doing stuff for the sake of doing stuff is a sure way to make a shitty deal.

@TheLegendOfPatPeake again, I don't think you're seeing anyone afraid of using draft picks to make the team markedly better. There have been plenty of proposals here where a 1st is included. What a bunch of people, including myself, don't want to see is using solid assets on a dirt asset. Trading a 1st for a rental is almost always bad business, especially so this year considering the lack of quality on the trade board.

I personally don't see a rental deal out there that moves the needle. A depth center in theory sounds nice but if Kuzy or Backstrom go down and your centers are Kuzy or Backstrom and then Eller/Dowd/Glendening/insert other replacement level player here then they're probably toast anyway.
Glendening is better than Pinho and it isn't even close. His defensive coverage in the bubble last year was abysmal.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I guess Laughton would have been ok but he’d need to be in the lineup and not eating nachos. Given that, would Vrana come out of the lineup, or Sprong? What’s the marginal upgrade in someone like Laughton over those guys? I’d say it’d be negative in the case of Vrana, and minimal over Sprong.

If they want to shore up the C position then get a top 6 center. I don’t know who that is, which is why I threw out Eichel as an option. But don’t just get depth for the sake of getting depth.

Do you have an analytics based anti Laughton thing, or just don't see him as that good? From what I've seen he's a stupid good even strength producer with good intangibles capable of making a lot out of bottom 6 minutes. Like a cross between Vrana and Wilson but not as good at either of their main strengths.

Idk but would much rather have him over Sprong or Sheary for a playoff run

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Reading through the thread there seems to be a consensus that the caps shouldn't use their firsts. That is where this question comes from.
I don’t know where you got this consensus from if I’m being honest. All I’ve seen is people saying to not throw the 1st around for a trash rental player. I’d say that’s a pretty solid statement. There’s multiple people in here saying to use the 1st rounder if it makes sense...

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Do you have some analytics based anti Laughton thing? From what I've seen he's a stupid good even strength producer with good intangibles capable of making a lot out of bottom 6 minutes. Like a cross between Vrana and Wilson but not as good at either of their main strengths.

Sheary gets a jersey every night as far as I am concerned. Sprong is the player that would be upgraded.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Whats your guess based on today's players who the top 6 forwards, top 4 d and goaltender would be in 3 years?

If Kuzy is a legit 1c and Backstrom and Ov are still effective, which i would expect, isnt a top 6 of Kuzy, Wilson, Vrana, Backstrom, Ov and McMichael competitive?

On d, you would have Carlson and Orlov who should still be solid. If one of Fehervary or AA can be a legit top 4 defenseman, they are only short one outside acquisition.

I am confident that one of VV or Sammy is a quality goalie.

I dont see a lousy team there. Where am I wrong?

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
The Caps 4th line is effectively their 3rd line. Right? Hagelin 9th on the team in TOI/g among forwards and is 6th in the league in SHTOI/g. Lets not ignore that the Caps pk% sucked before Hagelin and has been constently good since they got him. I think he is doing what they hired him to do.

He probably is but cup caliber teams usually dumpster dive successfully for that sort of player and concentrate their cap on impact players. Someone like Rieder brings most if not all of what Hagelin does at this point and saves you 2 mil. Same thing with Panik to a greater extent.

Replace those 2 on a budget (like they did Panik with Sheary) and you suddenly have 4 million to throw at a high impact contributor while maintaining roster integrity. I'd prefer those 2 guys to be a Stephenson and a DSP/Chiasson is what I'm saying

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

Hopefully they don't make a move just to make one, just because they've got some picks to burn. Either upgrade over Sprong in a substantial way and don't do anything.

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
Whats your guess based on today's players who the top 6 forwards, top 4 d and goaltender would be in 3 years?

If Kuzy is a legit 1c and Backstrom and Ov are still effective, which i would expect, isnt a top 6 of Kuzy, Wilson, Vrana, Backstrom, Ov and McMichael competitive?

On d, you would have Carlson and Orlov who should still be solid. If one of Fehervary or AA can be a legit top 4 defenseman, they are only short one outside acquisition.

I am confident that one of VV or Sammy is a quality goalie.

I dont see a lousy team there. Where am I wrong?
I don't agree on the Kuzy assessment.

Ovi will be 37/38....father time always wins. He won't suck but he also won't be the best player on the team anymore.

Not sold that Carlson will still be a stud D. He will have a lot of miles on him given the minutes he plays.

Not a fan of Vrana and frankly I'm not convinced he will be here.

I'm not saying your wrong on any of this, I just don't happen to agree and have the same optimism.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand

Hopefully they don't make a move just to make one, just because they've got some picks to burn. Either upgrade over Sprong in a substantial way and don't do anything.

They need to upgrade Vrana, not Sprong. It's not Sprong who looks like a useless depressive brat and fails to score in the playoffs. 10 is fine where he's at. Vrana is not.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Do you have an analytics based anti Laughton thing, or just don't see him as that good? From what I've seen he's a stupid good even strength producer with good intangibles capable of making a lot out of bottom 6 minutes. Like a cross between Vrana and Wilson but not as good at either of their main strengths.

Like I said he’s fine but he doesn’t really move the needle much, especially at what his cost would have probably been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad