Post-Game Talk: Trade Deadline 2019: Public Enemy #1 is gone! Holy ****! (Dahlen too) That's about it...

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I guess we can chop this deadline as a “meh”... not pissed, not pumped. I mean at least he made a move (2 fairly insignificant ones). But it’s something. Beats having made none. And silver lining we don’t have to complain about how bad guddy is anymore. Hoping Pearson jumps in and contributes, even on a marginal level it’s better than having guddy try to “mentor” Hughes. And at least JB acknowledged that our back end needs help and attention.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I guess we can chop this deadline as a “meh”... not pissed, not pumped. I mean at least he made a move (2 fairly insignificant ones). But it’s something. Beats having made none. And silver lining we don’t have to complain about how bad guddy is anymore. Hoping Pearson jumps in and contributes, even on a marginal level it’s better than having guddy try to “mentor” Hughes. And at least JB acknowledged that our back end needs help and attention.

Meh if you lower your standards.

Let's break this down:

Good: Gudbranson is gone.

Bad: The Canucks didn't acquire any draft picks. The Canucks didn't trade Alex Edler. The Canucks took on another bad contract with Pearson.

It was a bad trade deadline.

Reactions: canucksfan

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

y2k has summed it up, we went in sellers and all we came out with was another teams cap dump. That is not a good deadline for a team that should be adding a bunch of picks and prospects every deadline, instead we came out holding negative value.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011

Let's break this down:

Bad: The Canucks didn't acquire any draft picks. The Canucks didn't trade Alex Edler. The Canucks took on another bad contract with Pearson.

I was never under the impression Edler would waive. We can get picks at the draft and hopefully Sutter and tanev will be healthy by then.

I think Pearson holds decent value that we can flip. His contract isn't awful. 10-15 goals hold value.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I was never under the impression Edler would waive. We can get picks at the draft and hopefully Sutter and tanev will be healthy by then.

I think Pearson holds decent value that we can flip. His contract isn't awful. 10-15 goals hold value.

It's been reported Edler would have waived if it was made clear that the Canucks didn't want him. Benning talking extension eliminated any hope of us trading him. That's a blunder.

We can get picks at the draft? When the value of picks is at its highest? And considering it's been 4 years since Benning traded away a player for a pick (and then subsequently gave that pick away) do you really think there's going to be a player for pick trade? Really?

Reactions: Carl Carlson

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site

Let's break this down:

Sadly we cannot force Edler to waive. I’d rather Pearson vs guddy. We could use any help we can on the wing, especially top 6. Meaning guddy was redundant so may as well give saunter a shot. Not trying to say this was amazing just that it could’ve been a lot worse or a lot better (no extra picks). Some deals will have to wait for off season/ draft.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Sadly we cannot force Edler to waive. I’d rather Pearson vs guddy. We could use any help we can on the wing, especially top 6. Meaning guddy was redundant so may as well give saunter a shot. Not trying to say this was amazing just that it could’ve been a lot worse or a lot better (no extra picks). Some deals will have to wait for off season/ draft.

We both know those aren't going to happen.

And you're ignoring that Edler would have waived if the Canucks didn't want him anymore. Benning talking extension killed that possibility.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Good that we moved on from Gudbranson and i dont care about the return so much at this point

More unfortunate than anything regarding Dahlen. Seems like a prima donna move to start making demands when you're struggling as a AHLer. Kinda strange considering how he was with Timra.....i dont get the urgency but agree with the method of recycling younger especially if they like Karlsson.

The most annoying thing is that Benning is trading his aquired failures for less than he paid and the whole not fitting the team statement is puzzling when you were the one that went after the player in the 1st place?

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
We both know those aren't going to happen.

And you're ignoring that Edler would have waived if the Canucks didn't want him anymore. Benning talking extension killed that possibility.
I mean it’s all hypothetical. Do we actually know this? It’s all rumours, he said/she said. Anyways I am choosing to not be a Debbie downer. Think whatever you want. Moving on...

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I mean it’s all hypothetical. Do we actually know this? It’s all rumours, he said/she said. Anyways I am choosing to not be a Debbie downer. Think whatever you want. Moving on...

It's not being a Debbie Downer. That's just a term people are using on here to describe people who are in tune with reality and don't want to be a homer who thinks everything his team does is great. I'm choosing to not lower my standards. You're choosing to lower your standards. That's fine.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Thoughts on today :

- the Mark Stone trade was a bit of a gut punch. Would probably have paid more than Vegas did for him and definitely given him a bigger contract. This makes the UFA period a lot less interesting as he should have been - by far - our #1 target.

- this was a total buyer’s market. Lowest returns ever on quality players. Far fewer fringe players moved for picks than normal.

- surprised people were so aghast about the Granlund-Fiala deal. Minnesota trades 1 year of team control on Granlund for 4 years from a good young player who scored 25 goals last year. Solid move if they weren’t going to re-sign him.

- Anaheim getting a higher pick for Del Zotto than we did while not taking back a cap dump or retaining salary is just hilarious.

- would have been nice to get a few picks. But getting rid of one of the worst players in franchise history and his garbage contract makes it not a bad day. Humorously, this also increases our chances of making the playoffs.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
It's not being a Debbie Downer. That's just a term people are using on here to describe people who are in tune with reality and don't want to be a homer who thinks everything his team does is great. I'm choosing to not lower my standards. You're choosing to lower your standards. That's fine.
I'm actually just curious. Where and when did edler ever get asked to waive and can you provide a genuine source for that?

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I didn’t once say I was happy. Your perceiving my comments as though I am. I just said I wasn’t pissed off. Would I like it if we traded Edler (and not even discussing a new contract), yes. Would I preferred more picks, absolutely. Would I wish we could get fair market value for some of our players (in comparison to what other teams get for their players), *%#+ yeah! But that is not reality. We didn’t, oh well, life goes on. Thank god we don’t have to watch guddy moving forward.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Thoughts on today :

- the Mark Stone trade was a bit of a gut punch. Would probably have paid more than Vegas did for him and definitely given him a bigger contract. This makes the UFA period a lot less interesting as he should have been - by far - our #1 target.

You would have given up Hughes? Not sure I would have.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I'm actually just curious. Where and when did edler ever get asked to waive and can you provide a genuine source for that?

I'm honestly getting tired of repeating this over and over again:

It was reported by Botchford that Edler would waive his NTC if the Canucks told him they didn't want him.

Edler himself in an interview said he doesn't want to be with a team that doesn't want him.

Source: The Athletties

Sat Shah on Twitter reported that Edler would be willing to waive if a contending team would work out a contract extension with him.

Also, it's been reported almost everywhere that the Canucks are negotiating an extension with Edler, thus it's clear they do want him back. Hence, Edler wasn't going to waive his NTC.

Reactions: rypper

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I will say as I reflect further that the Canucks are a better team now compared to this morning. Gudbranson has been that bad. I’m not pleased it’s a reclamation project coming back but they’ve improved.

But I’m not pleased that they approached the deadline in the same way as they did the Hamhuis deadline. They should have been working an Edler move since the beginning of the year. That’s my opinion of course. So I find that extremely disappointing.

I just continually get the feeling that their planning never goes beyond “we want to spend money on July 1”.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I must be one of the few who isn't miffed we didn't get any draft picks. Reason being, what do we have to sell? Our big 2 defensemen - Edler and Tanev - are injured (Okay, Pittsburgh inquired about Edler but he didn't waive anyway) and besides our young, core untradeable players we only have spare parts that playoff teams likely aren't interested in. Any that might otherwise be attractive have terrible contracts (Eriksson, Beagle).

Baertschi and Sutter could have been decent chips actually, but they're injured too. I'm not trying to be a sunshine and rainbows pom-pom waver. I'm just saying that given all the circumstances, this deadline didn't piss me off at all. Somehow unloading Gudbranson likely has a lot to do with that, though. I'm over the moon!

Reactions: Grub

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
It's been reported Edler would have waived if it was made clear that the Canucks didn't want him. Benning talking extension eliminated any hope of us trading him. That's a blunder.

We can get picks at the draft? When the value of picks is at its highest? And considering it's been 4 years since Benning traded away a player for a pick (and then subsequently gave that pick away) do you really think there's going to be a player for pick trade? Really?
Teams are typically more flexible cap wise during the off season.

Guys with term and larger caphits on them should be easier to move. The value of the pick is relative to who is available for the team picking. If Ry Reaves can get a first rounder then I guess anything is possible.

I'm just stating my opinion that I believe moving salary is a lot easier during the draft/offseason. The value of picks is not necessarily at its peak during that time. Certain teams can have reduced pick values once the draft orders confirmed.

Edit: Edler was also injured. I don't know if teams are actually serious about getting him.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
I'm honestly getting tired of repeating this over and over again:

It was reported by Botchford that Edler would waive his NTC if the Canucks told him they didn't want him.

Edler himself in an interview said he doesn't want to be with a team that doesn't want him.

Source: The Athletties

Sat Shah on Twitter reported that Edler would be willing to waive if a contending team would work out a contract extension with him.

Also, it's been reported almost everywhere that the Canucks are negotiating an extension with Edler, thus it's clear they do want him back. Hence, Edler wasn't going to waive his NTC.
Botchford you say? The same guy who thought the Gudbranson pick up was great. I trust 3 am hot dogs from shawarma vendors more than Bothcfords opinion. If that's a quote it will be available from Edlers agent, edler himself or Canucks management.

I'd like to see it because Botchford might have less credibility than Dreger

As for the wanting edler back. Ya, he's a decent defenceman and those aren't cheap. Edler was never going to waive. At all. It's a moot point.

Reactions: Nomobo and Jimbo57

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Botchford you say? The same guy who thought the Gudbranson pick up was great. I trust 3 am hot dogs from shawarma vendors more than Bothcfords opinion. If that's a quote it will be available from Edlers agent, edler himself or Canucks management.

As for the wanting edler back. Ya, he's a decent defenceman and those aren't cheap. Edler was never going to waive. At all. It's a moot point.

Attacking the source does not refute the rumour.

Whether Edler was or was not going to waive is all supposition at this point. There was never a case where the management told him that he would not be re-signed. If that had happened, who knows?

Reactions: y2kcanucks

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

What on earth does Botchford’s personal opinion on a trade from 3 years ago have to do with the credibility of information he’s reporting now?

Like, if he thought the Gudbranson trade was bad initially are you taking his report seriously?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I must be one of the few who isn't miffed we didn't get any draft picks. Reason being, what do we have to sell? Our big 2 defensemen - Edler and Tanev - are injured (Okay, Pittsburgh inquired about Edler but he didn't waive anyway) and besides our young, core untradeable players we only have spare parts that playoff teams likely aren't interested in. Any that might otherwise be attractive have terrible contracts (Eriksson, Beagle).

Baertschi and Sutter could have been decent chips actually, but they're injured too. I'm not trying to be a sunshine and rainbows pom-pom waver. I'm just saying that given all the circumstances, this deadline didn't piss me off at all. Somehow unloading Gudbranson likely has a lot to do with that, though. I'm over the moon!

IMHO

I don't think Tanev was ever up for sale given the state of the RHD.

Baertschi had another year+ before going on the deadline market, they just signed him and the top 6 winger depth is bad.

Sutter, likewise is not for sale this deadline, Gaudette has not taken his spot from him year. Benning is not to be that bold as to trade a guy he thinks will help him get to the playoffs next year in Sutter. I think Sutter stays until the 2020 deadline, if the Canucks are missing then that is when he gets traded.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Thoughts on today :

- this was a total buyer’s market. Lowest returns ever on quality players. Far fewer fringe players moved for picks than normal.

- surprised people were so aghast about the Granlund-Fiala deal. Minnesota trades 1 year of team control on Granlund for 4 years from a good young player who scored 25 goals last year. Solid move if they weren’t going to re-sign him.

- Anaheim getting a higher pick for Del Zotto than we did while not taking back a cap dump or retaining salary is just hilarious.

- would have been nice to get a few picks. But getting rid of one of the worst players in franchise history and his garbage contract makes it not a bad day. Humorously, this also increases our chances of making the playoffs.

- The Mark Stone and Nick Jensen deals were eye opening. These are players willing to sign with new teams right away. If you have a GM approach the player's agent before hand, it's possible to up-end the FA market and lock down good talent. To me, that was the surprising aspect of this deadline. Players are willing to sign right now.

- ANA getting a better pick for Del Zotto is a Coup de Grace move in terms of Benning's ability to negotiate value. He's terrible at it. This trade flip will definitely be brought up over and over again. Book it.

- The bar for trades is so low that getting rid of an obviously bad player is considered a win.

- The Dahlen deal doesn't sit right with me. I know you wanted this player gone, but I thought the timing and asset value was not optimal.

- The Edler non-trade and non-contract is another black mark on this organization. Think about it this way: If the key sticking point is the NMC on a 3 year deal, then Benning is forced to hold firm. He can't risk another Dman being picked up via the expansion draft. Yet, Edler has no reason to relent now. It's a situation that should have been resolved a month ago. I don't like Benning's work on this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: PM

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Just because you don't like Botchford doesn't mean this isn't true. I get it, you like Benning so any rumour that makes Benning look bad you're not going to like. Deal with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad