Post-Game Talk: Trade Deadline 2019: Public Enemy #1 is gone! Holy ****! (Dahlen too) That's about it...

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Most of the canucks journalists are credible when it comes to rumors and speculation, regardless of allegiance.
Botchford will post whatever "rumours" or "speculation" stoke up the most social media frenzy, and make him keep his job.

He's never broken a single story, in which a rumour he posted became true or was verified by an actual insider like Friedman or Lebrun. It's actually incredible that he's never broken a single story in this market, yet is given "insider" status for "he said, she said, word around the town" BS.

Rick Dhaliwal on the other hand is money, an actual respectable journalist and not a TMZ-wannabe with zero hockey knowledge.

Still, hard to argue with Botch here. See a lot of posts here that are just repeating his tweets verbatim. That's the standard for original thought these days: zero. His fan club definitely has an office in HF Vancouver. Ah for the good old days of hockey journalism and not just whatever gets you the most retweets/reaction from the Twitter idiot mob.

Reactions: alternate

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I'd be surprised if Aquilini isn't pissed at this ****. he took on a contract, and retained salary on Delzotto and now sees that player traded for more without retention.

That's because he spent most of his time in the press box which is a lousy way to showcase a player for a trade. Anaheim grabbed him and actually played him and 12 games later he returned a round higher pick and without having to take on the additional boat anchor like we had to just to get rid of him. If FAQ is pissed at anybody it should be Green...

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Botchford will post whatever "rumours" or "speculation" stoke up the most social media frenzy, and make him keep his job.

That sounds like speculation.

He's never broken a single story, in which a rumour he posted became true or was verified by an actual insider like Friedman or Lebrun. It's actually incredible that he's never broken a single story in this market, yet is given "insider" status for "he said, she said, word around the town" BS.

That's not the kind of journalist he is. How many stories has Iain McIntyre broken?

Still, hard to argue with Botch here. See a lot of posts here that are just repeating his tweets verbatim. That's the standard for original thought these days: zero. His fan club definitely has an office in HF Vancouver. Ah for the good old days of hockey journalism and not just whatever gets you the most retweets/reaction from the Twitter idiot mob.

For the record, Botchford is literally the only person to have ever blocked me on Twitter. I'm not exactly his #1 fan, but this reeks of blindly whining because you don't like that he doesn't just peddle puff pieces about Benning like iMac.

But hey, look it's a brand new account diving straight into persecution-complex "attack of the mob." Speaking of originality...

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Regardless of who's writing puff pieces (I would contend Botchford's Athletties are mostly just a puff piece for his Twitter followers), Iain McIntyre can write an actual paragraph. I appreciate that. It's not the most amazing skill, but Botchford has been writing in Twitter-mode so long that his articles are stacks of one-liners, easily digestible for the hordes. As a long-time admirer of the English language, it's really repellent. But that's personal taste.

In terms of hockey knowledge, I'm no big fan of McIntyre, but Botchford's actual hockey knowledge is in the negatives. I should start collecting examples of his absolutely clueless takes, but just from his most recent piece on The Athletic, he had some gems, e.g. the Minnesota Wild would "have to accept" Virtanen for Zucker or that "he's concerned that Green doesn't view Virtanen has a top-6 forward." LOL what Virtanen does he watch? Does he know who Zucker is? Likely not. Too busy tweeting out GIFs.

Anyways, you pretty much agreed that Botchford isn't an insider sort of journalist, so we're on the same page there.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Regardless of who's writing puff pieces (I would contend Botchford's Athletties are mostly just a puff piece for his Twitter followers), Iain McIntyre can write an actual paragraph. I appreciate that. It's not the most amazing skill, but Botchford has been writing in Twitter-mode so long that his articles are stacks of one-liners, easily digestible for the hordes. As a long-time admirer of the English language, it's really repellent. But that's personal taste.

In terms of hockey knowledge, I'm no big fan of McIntyre, but Botchford's actual hockey knowledge is in the negatives. I should start collecting examples of his absolutely clueless takes, but just from his most recent piece on The Athletic, he had some gems, e.g. the Minnesota Wild would "have to accept" Virtanen for Zucker or that "he's concerned that Green doesn't view Virtanen has a top-6 forward." LOL what Virtanen does he watch? Does he know who Zucker is? Likely not. Too busy tweeting out GIFs.

Anyways, you pretty much agreed that Botchford isn't an insider sort of journalist, so we're on the same page there.

I don't think much of his writing and I agree he isn't some insider who wants to "break stories" but I still think it is off-base to question his credibility. If you think he just makes things up out of thin air to please his readers then I very much disagree with that.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

The bolded is a dangling modifier.;)

Scumbag Frank

Hard Time in the Slammer
Apr 13, 2010
Vancouver
But hey, look it's a brand new account diving straight into persecution-complex "attack of the mob." Speaking of originality...

SKJwYJG.png

I wish Weisbrod spent less time posting on HFBoards and more time focusing on things like papering prospects to Utica

Last edited:

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Dahlen broken into 3 strikes:

1. Gets traded by Ottawa
2. Runs back to Sweden last year
3. Demands trade from second team

3 strikes and you’re out.

Could give two shits what they got. Same with Kesler, when a player wants out then good riddance. Hard enough being a sports fan I at least want to be confident that the players in that dressing room love the team and the city.

If not then f*** off.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Big fan of Botch. I wake up earlier to read his take. Always disappointed about how much time he takes off. I think he is very honest and not totally predictable. He was and is a huge promoter of Petey and defender of Boeser. Good stuff.

Scumbag Frank

Hard Time in the Slammer
Apr 13, 2010
Vancouver
Am I missing a joke or something?
A guy who got banned here makes a new account every week, with each account subsequently getting banned
- His posts defend management 100% of the time and blame everything on Gillis
- He fancies himself a literary and philosophy scholar (a Harvard English major perhaps)
- He spends a lot of time on HF (potentially causing him to forget to complete aspects of his job and prompting former employers to state "I don't really know what he did around here")
- He claims to be a Patriots fan (feasible for someone who grew up on Long Island but attended school in Boston)
- He is a fan of 'intangibles,' 'safe work environments' and other empty buzzwords that a certain member of the management group also likes to use
- He has a few other accounts on here that aren't banned but have the same shtick
- And his name is JOHN CENA WEISBROD

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I don't really want to participate in this discussion but this meme never seems to die: Brian Burke never said "I don't know what he did" about Weisbrod. During the Feaster firing presser, someone asked him directly about Weisbrod and Burke said he seemed like a nice guy but didn't really have a relationship with him like he did with Feaster.

The "I don't really know what he did around here" quote is pure fabrication that seemingly won't die.

Scumbag Frank

Hard Time in the Slammer
Apr 13, 2010
Vancouver
I don't really want to participate in this discussion but this meme never seems to die: Brian Burke never said "I don't know what he did" about Weisbrod. During the Feaster firing presser, someone asked him directly about Weisbrod and Burke said he seemed like a nice guy but didn't really have a relationship with him like he did with Feaster.

The "I don't really know what he did around here" quote is pure fabrication that seemingly won't die.
Paraphrased but that's essentially what he says in the last part of this quote

Scumbag Frank

Hard Time in the Slammer
Apr 13, 2010
Vancouver
Sorry, but I don't know who this is where it is or where it is from. I have watched the full press conference and he never says it.

"Host of the Morning Show on the home of the Calgary Flames, Sportsnet 960 The Fan" according to his twitter
Assuming this is a quote from Burke's radio interview, not the press conference

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
"Host of the Morning Show on the home of the Calgary Flames, Sportsnet 960 The Fan" according to his twitter
Assuming this is a quote from Burke's radio interview, not the press conference

If you can find an actual quote in print or audio I would appreciate it. I have spent a very long time searching. An out of context paraphrase on twitter doesn't quite get us there.

Scumbag Frank

Hard Time in the Slammer
Apr 13, 2010
Vancouver
If you can find an actual quote in print or audio I would appreciate it. I have spent a very long time searching. An out of context paraphrase on twitter doesn't quite get us there.
Can't find anything either since I can't search Twitter that far back
This is all I got, which isn't what you're looking for
Confirmed with Link: - Jim Benning named GM of Vancouver (MOD WARNING Post #274)

Also found this other interview where Burke talks about firing Weisbrod, although he doesn't really delve too much into it. Weisbrod talk starts at 1:09
http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_dema...ef-and-Sid-Seixeiro-ts-20131212-Interview.mp3

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad