Post-Game Talk: Trade Deadline 2019: Public Enemy #1 is gone! Holy ****! (Dahlen too) That's about it...

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Attacking the source does not refute the rumour.

Whether Edler was or was not going to waive is all supposition at this point. There was never a case where the management told him that he would not be re-signed. If that had happened, who knows?
It's not about the source. It's about the facts. if there was in fact an ask to waive it will be spoken about. but Botchford being the source does in fact give it an air of questionability. SO maybe it is about the source.

Rather just tired of endless "oh this was going to happen" without a basis of fact

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
I don’t really have a problem with anything that transpired today. The only thing that irks me is that whole MDZ thing, but markets change. I can’t imagine the Canucks didn’t send out a mass email saying “who wants MDZ” and the Blues responded with a 6th rounder and Benning ignored it and took the 7th. It’s odd, but I’m not going to lose any sleep over it.

Edler - He is a life-time Canuck, arguably the best defenseman on the team, and arguably the best defenseman we’ve ever had. He was given a no-trade clause and it’s up to him what he wants to do with that. Players in this league talk... forcing him out or playing hardball with him is just simply bad for business. I do think if the offer was right it might have been best for the organization to move on and trade him, however I understand the value he still brings to the team. Without him in the lineup this team is abysmal. Replacing him next year or the next couple after that would be a very difficult task. He did also just go through a horrifyingly significant injury he still hasn’t recovered from so it’s not like his value is at an all time high. If Benning gauged the market and didn’t love the return, then I can see why talking extension makes the most sense in this case. Without seeing the offers it’s tough to evaluate the options here. All I know is I’d rather have an affordable Edler for 2-3 years than go into the uncertainty of the off-season and drastically overpay a UFA who you “hope” can step into his shoes.

Gudbranson - I was grinning ear to ear when I saw he got dealt. Massive win for this team as we got rid of arguably the worst defenseman in the league for a “serviceable” NHL player. Tanner Pearson COULD find a spot on our first two lines. I know for damn sure that Gudbranson shouldn’t have a spot on our roster, so I’ll chalk that up as a win.

Everything else - No issues with anything else really... this team has nothing of value to move right now, which obviously raises some questions, but I’m evaluating what we did today, nothing else. It’s well-documented on this board that the Canucks have been the worst team over the past 4 seasons. The players people want traded on here are the same ones that we think shouldn’t even be in the NHL. What teams are going to give up value for these guys.

As always... it’s tough to evaluate things without knowing what’s being offered to Benning. If someone out there offered a 3rd round pick for Granlund and Benning turned it down then obviously... I’ll carry Benning to the airport myself.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Just because you don't like Botchford doesn't mean this isn't true. I get it, you like Benning so any rumour that makes Benning look bad you're not going to like. Deal with it.
I'd liek an actual quote from the source is all.

I don't think that's too much to ask. especially when Botchford is the guy who said the Sedins invited Burke to Sweden back in 2011/2012

Reactions: Jimbo57

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I'd liek an actual quote from the source is all.

I don't think that's too much to ask. especially when Botchford is the guy who said the Sedins invited Burke to Sweden back in 2011/2012

If you get a source quote from Botchford you will accept the information Y2K is putting forth?

If so, there's your task Y2K...

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
If you get a source quote from Botchford you will accept the information Y2K is putting forth?

If so, there's your task Y2K...
If botchford can produce a quote from Edlers Agent or edler himself than yes I'll actually believe it. Botchford has a history of pushing a narrative and making claims that aren't entirely true and I don't think anyone should be against asking for evidence is all.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
If botchford can produce a quote from Edlers Agent or edler himself than yes I'll actually believe it. Botchford has a history of pushing a narrative and making claims that aren't entirely true and I don't think anyone should be against asking for evidence is all.

If you're not going to accept a quote from Botchford, the actual source that was cited, then that's akin to attacking the source. That's not a legitimate argument worth considering here, no matter how you feel about Botchford.

He's a Vancouver news reporter and this is a rumour. It's not meant to be iron clad. This is about proving the existence of the rumour via a legitimized source.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
So you won’t be posting here anymore since you feel like you don’t have a say
I will be voicing my personal opinion like everyone else but I understand all of our talk has absolutely no bearing on decisions made by the club ownership or management.
I find that life as a fan gets a whole lot less frustrating when I don't get carried away and put my hockey fantasy's ahead of the reality that its a business first to Orca bay and no one has a say except the few at the top and like it or not any move they make we have no say period.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Ladies and gentlemen some thoughts

1st and foremost we have removed a cancerous terrible acquisition from our team, an obnoxious excuse for an nhl defense being paid like a steady top four is gone and admitting to being an optimist I actually like Pearson a bunch, worth giving him an opportunity

Surprised we still have Edler and Tanev but at the same time not disapponted, I actually really like them on this team, they are great when they are here and their value as trade options is less then their precense

Goldobin is worth the roster spot way more then the 4th round pick we could get for him

Disappointed with Dahlens return but if I was honest with myself I was disappointed in Dahlen weeks and weeks ago so this is a wash

Anybody else notice loui Erickson is
not gonna get a top six opportunity ever again, perhaps a buy out at the beginning of next season

Wild card trade opportunity was Markstrom
to San Jose didn’t happen, San Jose is good but goaltending will define them

rocketchu

Mar 22, 2017

1st and foremost we have removed a cancerous terrible acquisition from our team, an obnoxious excuse for an nhl defense being paid like a steady top four is gone and admitting to being an optimist I actually like Pearson a bunch, worth giving him an opportunity

Surprised we still have Edler and Tanev but at the same time not disapponted, I actually really like them on this team, they are great when they are here and their value as trade options is less then their precense

Goldobin is worth the roster spot way more then the 4th round pick we could get for him

Disappointed with Dahlens return but if I was honest with myself I was disappointed in Dahlen weeks and weeks ago so this is a wash

not gonna get a top six opportunity ever again, perhaps a buy out at the beginning of next season

They would have taken a 4th for Goldobin and ran. There was zero chance any playoff team would want him at all and only limited chance that a non-playoff team would give up a pick for him. The entire notion that he would get traded was silly.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Is he taking the whole quote would be the question. Yes, Edler's camp would waive the NTC is the only portion of the quote the Botch is likely to give you. Not, the rest of it like "if we can agree to an extension with the other team". Kind of a big part of what the Edler camp would want.

If Edler has no interest in being a rental, then that's it. No contending team is going to give him what the Canucks are refusing to give him for protection. Maybe a non playoff team this summer might. But, not the ones willing to deal for him at the TDL.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

A buyout does nothing for the team's cap. Literally, it's a $1 million cash savings total.

You're better off simply burying him in the AHL and daring him not to report.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Everyone was screaming the same stuff about Sekeres, yet then we saw Dahlen get traded and no one owned up to it lol.

This isn't 2011 anymore.

Most of the canucks journalists are credible when it comes to rumors and speculation, regardless of allegiance.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
A buyout does nothing for the team's cap. Literally, it's a $1 million cash savings total.

That is actually a positive for us capwise and trade value, but LE isn’t given any opportunity to increase his trade value or contribute more than a penalty killer these days, something i respect green for

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That is actually a positive for us capwise and trade value, but LE isn’t given any opportunity to increase his trade value or contribute more than a penalty killer these days, something i respect green for
Canucks have paid him $23 million up to the end of this season and taken $18 million in cap charges. A buyout means that $5 million gets charged, along with all 3 remaining Signing Bonuses. All that the team is saving is the $1 million of the $3 million left in salary. Pretty gruesome what it looks like.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Is he taking the whole quote would be the question. Yes, Edler's camp would waive the NTC is the only portion of the quote the Botch is likely to give you. Not, the rest of it like "if we can agree to an extension with the other team". Kind of a big part of what the Edler camp would want.

If Edler has no interest in being a rental, then that's it. No contending team is going to give him what the Canucks are refusing to give him for protection. Maybe a non playoff team this summer might. But, not the ones willing to deal for him at the TDL.
So you make up an imaginary conversation to make a point. Okaaayy

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Too much money and he'll be forced call your bluff. He might suck but you can't replace him for $1m.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->