GDT: Trade Deadline 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
That's because Bergevin is good at making trades. You always hear how he's always active, well, this is the result of that. The old "keep your ear to the ground" saying.

But according to 90% of posters, he sucks....

Bergevin's responsible for like 50% of the deadline deals the last 2 days but I'm sure the "Bergevin is asleep/golfing/suit shopping lololol" narrative will find its way around again this time next year.

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
To put it in perspective, in the last calendar month the following fowards have scored:

Radulov
Pacioretty
Shaw
Galchenyuk

That's it! Only 4 forwards have scored goals in all of February!
The 4th line is not expected to shoulder the load offensively. Asking 1 goal/game is way too much (that's why the team had their insane 15 game streak to start the year) and it's not realistic to expect that kind of production from guys like King, Ott, Mitchell, etc...

They need help scoring. Real scoring, top 6 scoring. That's the only way this team will go anywhere.

In all honesty, do you feel 100% confident that King and Ott will provide more offense than Flynn and Mitchell?

edit: by the way, don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of Flynn and Mitchell. But at the end of the day the team's real problems are elsewhere.

Having the best 4th line in hockey is pointless if you only have 4 forwards that contribute offensively over a month-long stretch.

the 1 goal/gm is from bottom six, which for the moment includes the underachieving Pleks and Shaw. The 4th line I would expect 1 goal every 3 games and 2 every 3 games from 3rd line. You also need to look at what the role of the 4th line is in the PO's. Energy, crash and bang, stir **** up ... there is nothing about Flynn and Mitchell that say that. When things go south in a game and we need a shift like that, we now have that line. During the entire month of february, or anytime under MT for the past 2 seasons. please tell me of a situation when our 4th line delivered that.

The best 4th line in hockey was one of the reasons the Bruins won the cup. I agree we need more scoring from multiple sources, but you cannot tell me we aren't a way better playoff team today than yesterday.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I'm not saying that other teams not doing anything is justification for Bergevin not adding scoring, but it's interesting that a lot of other bubble teams like us haven't made any moves at all.

Expected more from teams like BOS, NYI, NSH, EDM, ANA, CGY, WPG...

The market was weak, to be honest.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
Maybe it is just me, but Louis Jean has 0 sources and might be the most uninformed guy on TVA.

On that note, anyone else notice that Eliotte Friedman is on the ball this deadline? I`m saying better than BobbyM and Dreger.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
He will have traded a bunch of late round picks for nothing if he doesn't improve the top 6! C'mon Bergy!

antoniojr

pretty mint.
Feb 21, 2008
Maybe it is just me, but Louis Jean has 0 sources and might be the most uninformed guy on TVA.

On that note, anyone else notice that Eliotte Friedman is on the ball this deadline? I`m saying better than BobbyM and Dreger.

Eklund still the best in the business (e5) :sarcasm:

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
My guess is Bergy's thinking is that if he can't get a top-6 scorer due to the market, he is bulking up his bottom 6 to make them more able to wear down the opponents and hopefully leave them with a little less energy to check our few scorers.

ie. Make our current scorers more potent via other means.

VladTheLimpWhaler

Dec 4, 2015
Edmonton, AB
This board is an enigma. Bergy passes on Vanek and people are pissed. If Bergy went after Vanek, people would have mocked him for that too. There's no pleasing some of you

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
We need scorers, Vanek could have helped us...we are a 1 line team and if Bergevin cant get a top 6 by 3pm we are in big trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad