Trade Deadline - 02.25.2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I am seeing tons of lateral moves, seems to the be common trend this year for trades.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Nelson is someone we've been linked to as well.

Nelson, Burkovsky, Johansson, Spooner (confirmed), and who else now?

I mean I feel we can trade off another junk contract, it's a fine way to try to maximize a low asset. Who knows how this ends up though. Moderate your expectations, right?

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
So what's the problem.. rebuild retool whatever as long as we keep taking steps forward.

What year is this re-build or re-tool supposed to translate into standings improvement, playoffs, and eventual cup contenders? Is it going to be linear? What is your cut off point before you lose faith? You are right now in year 5. Do you give Benning another 5, 10, 25 years? Remember that Lowe announced when his rebuild would be over. Benning did too. Benning said being contenders starting last year was reasonable to judge him by. Granted, that was years ago. He's now retooling his retool, after failing miserably... getting high picks to make it look like a bit of a rebuild, lucky guy.

Last edited:

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
The only untouchables on this team should be Horvat, Pettersson and Boeser. I also wouldn't openly shop Hutton or Stecher. Anyone else should be on the table.

Because this team desperately needs a rebuild. I want to see a Stanley Cup in Vancouver and they aren't going to get there with a half assed retool where the GM just adds the high picks he gets from years of constant failures at his attempts to make the playoffs.

No, this team is not heading in the right direction. It's spinning its tires in mediocrity.

Moving a 33 year old is two steps back? Two steps back from what?

This team has more bad contracts on it than it has quality youth, you get that right?

And cute, the tired EA Sports comment when someone with no real point and no other way to defend his beloved leader resorts to. You do realize that Jim Benning has built a losing culture, right? You do realize that this team is on the exact same path as the Oilers, right? In fact, the team right now is set-up exactly like the Oilers. The only difference is our goaltending is better. But hey, head meet sand.
Same conclusion (recent).

Keep Stecher and Hutton. Trade Edler (if you can) and Tanev.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
What year is this re-build or re-tool supposed to translate into standings improvement, playoffs, and eventual cup contenders? Is it going to be linear? What is your cut off point before you lose faith? You are right now in year 5. Do you give Benning another 5, 10, 25 years? Remember that Lowe announced when his rebuild would be over. Benning did too. Benning said being contenders starting last year was reasonable to judge him by. Granted, that was years ago. He's now retooling his retool, after failing miserably... getting high picks to make it look like a bit of a rebuild, lucky guy.

6 years as far as I'm concerned, 5 for Benning + 1 from Gillis. It started in July 2013 with the Schneider trade then the Luongo trade and Kesler trade + the 6th over all draft pick.

Reactions: I in the Eye

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not sure what, if anything the Canucks actually have to trade. Gudbranson and Sutter are the obvious choices, but their bloated contracts make this unlikely. Goldy is a 'possible', but chances are they'd be getting a young guy back with just as many question marks. And Benning is not in a position to trade young players or draft picks.

So that leaves Tanev and Edler (both injured) as potential moveable assets. And apparently they've said they're not trading them. So who's left?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Not sure what, if anything the Canucks actually have to trade. Gudbranson and Sutter are the obvious choices, but their bloated contracts make this unlikely. Goldy is a 'possible', but chances are they'd be getting a young guy back with just as many question marks. And Benning is not in a position to trade young players or draft picks.

So that leaves Tanev and Edler (both injured) as potential moveable assets. And apparently they've said they're not trading them. So who's left?

I don't even consider prospect for pick/prospect trades deadline deals. They are just general deals that happened to be around the time of the deadline. As for deadline trade assets, maybe Beagle butI doubt they trade him or Roussel less than one year into contracts that long. Sutter with 35% retention or Gudbranson at 50%???

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
All of our good trade bait is injured (or has NTC)... Edler, Tanev, Virtanen, sutter and maybe Baertschi.

Not saying we’d get a ton for all of them either. Sutter we’d have to eat or take back salary.

Guddy sucks so we won’t get much of anything. Be a trash for trash deal. In which case I’d prefer him over zaitsev’s even worse contract. Granlund and goldy won’t get much either. Be a swap for similar level player. Schaller meh. So yeah don’t expect much this TDL!

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
I could see the Canucks missing next season too. The Benning era will be the worst era in Canucks history.

Who is coming to save us? Hughes? Of course we're going to miss the playoffs again next year.
(I'm pleased to see Chicago suddenly going into beast mode... they need to kill off any hope so we're not tempted to be buyers.)

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
Why are you so obsessed with if this is a rebuild or retool or whatever they want to call it.

Were heading in the right direction and that's what's important .

We moved on from del zotto gagner Nilsson. We've iced plenty of young guys like EP, Gaudette, so on to be Hughes. We've surrounded them with veterans. We've made it clear were not trading any draft picks for immediate help.

Were keeping Edler because he has a NTC and because we need him . Moving him and Tanev is 2 steps backs with no guarantees. Plan is to move forward especially while our core is on their ELCs.

This isn't EA Sports where you just trade everyone over the age of 25 for draft picks. What happens in 3 or 5 years and we have a room full of players who are used to a losing culture and has never played a big game. The Edmon Oilers happen. The Arizona Coyotes Happen. The Bufallo Sabres Happen.

So what's the problem.. rebuild retool whatever as long as we keep taking steps forward.

God this is hilarious. You benning bros are so misinformed.

Looking at combined team record going back to the 15-16 season, the Oilers have a 0.500 point %. Coyotes 0.453. Sabres 0.466.

Do you know what team is dead last in the league with a point % of 0.451 during the past 3.5 years? The canucks. They've lost more than any other team in the NHL over that time period. And the worst thing is, benning actually tried to compete and make the playoffs for a chunk of those years.

But it's okay. We're "improving" Playoff hunt baby!

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Looking at combined team record going back to the 15-16 season, the Oilers have a 0.500 point %. Coyotes 0.453. Sabres 0.466.

Do you know what team is dead last in the league with a point % of 0.451 during the past 3.5 years? The canucks. They've lost more than any other team in the NHL over that time period. And the worst thing is, benning actually tried to compete and make the playoffs for a chunk of those years.

Being in a position to drafting Pettersson means your team is a bunch of losers, drafting Pettersson means you failed. Yet somehow they view drafting Pettersson as a success even though it goes against everything they said they want out of the team.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

It’s absolutely incredible that the Benning Bots still continue to parrot this nonsense.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Well aware that the team has had a losing record the last 3 years, sorry we didnt give you a playoff run...Benning did try to compete an extra couple years to give the Sedins another kick at the can..It obviously wasn't successful,but this team was doomed to founder anyway (with an aging core, and only one core prospect..Horvat)...From 2000-2015 the team made the playoffs 9 times...That cycle had to end, and a new one had to begin, and 3 years in the basement is precisely what this team needed.

Last year we had the oldest top 6 in the league, this year we have one of the youngest...Yes,thats improvement.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Well aware that the team has had a losing record the last 3 years, sorry we didnt give you a playoff run...Benning did try
As I said before, there were only TWO times in almost FIFTY YEARS of existence have the Canucks missed the post-season for four consecutive seasons (both of those times resulted in the GM getting fired during that period). Now there’s no way Benning gets fired this season even if we miss the postseason (currently out of a wild card spot now). At no point has this franchise EVER missed the postseason FIVE consecutive seasons (which Benning has a chance of matching).

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
As I said before, there were only TWO times in almost FIFTY YEARS of existence have the Canucks missed the post-season for four consecutive seasons (both of those times resulted in the GM getting fired during that period). Now there’s no way Benning gets fired this season even if we miss the postseason (currently out of a wild card spot now). At no point has this franchise EVER missed the postseason FIVE consecutive seasons (which Benning has a chance of matching).

Benning is looking at four straight years of having a worse record than either Gillis or Nonis ever had. He can't lose. You know if the canucks were good this year, his supporters would be using that as "proof" that he's a genius, but if he falls flat on his face yet again, it means nothing. Literally all outcomes are a win for benning.

Reactions: Hit the post

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Well aware that the team has had a losing record the last 3 years, sorry we didnt give you a playoff run...Benning did try to compete an extra couple years to give the Sedins another kick at the can..It obviously wasn't successful,but this team was doomed to founder anyway (with an aging core, and only one core prospect..Horvat)...From 2000-2015 the team made the playoffs 9 times...That cycle had to end, and a new one had to begin, and 3 years in the basement is precisely what this team needed.

Last year we had the oldest top 6 in the league, this year we have one of the youngest...Yes,thats improvement.
Oh this again.

I just love how people can trot this shit out and ignore the fact Benning and Linden have been trying to compete right now every single year either one's been here. Oh, the team was doomed to founder anyway, was it? And you somehow have slavish undying loyalty to the guys who thought they could turn the team around quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad