Trade Deadline - 02.25.2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not one of Bennings finer moments in hindsight..Although,paired with the right d-man, I don't mind him on the 3rd pairing..

He’s been paired with basically every defender on the team in the last 3 months while posting a 36 GP 0-1-1 -26 statline. He sucked with Tanev, who makes everyone look good. He sucked with Hutton. He sucked with Pouliot. He sucked with Brisebois.

Who exactly is the right defender? 1971 Bobby Orr?

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019
What assets would we have to give up in a trade to acquire a legit top 4 d-man..?...What is the asking price?..Think about it?..What did Calgary give up for Hamonic..?..Its not as easy as plucking one off of the Top 4 D Tree.
Well we had McCann and the 33rd pick, Kesler, Garrison and a whole bunch of 2nd/3rd/4th/5th round picks... but I guess we used all of those for more important things and/or those pieces weren't valuable enough to get a decent man

edit: too slow

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019
What that means ..is..since TDL 2017, they havent been blowing their brains out on big ticket UFA'a in the off season (lesson learned from Eriksson)..or been making TDL moves for a playoff push..They have been mostly signing placeholders to be a 'competitive team'..until the kids are ready.
So they were signing free agents up until 2017 to "compete" (despite being the worst team in the league during that period of time) because they owe it to fans to "compete"... but now you're saying they are not signing free agents? Do they no longer owe it to us to compete?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Ryan Kesler?

McCann and #33 overall package?

$8 million/year spent on 4th liners last summer?

$12 million/year spent on garbage free agents in the summer of 2017?

$36 million spent on Loui Eriksson in the summer of 2016?
With Kesler..they wanted a proven centre to replace Kesler (in the Canucks video JB is talking about that)..remember,they were still trying to compete.
They coveted Gudbranson (fun fact..Gillis did as well)
The bottom 6 was an area they considered a weakness last off season..I don't think the idea was to be a playoff team this year,so they let the D and the goaltending be...They will blow their brains out on a D this off season.
A top 4 D is a major commodity...no decent UFA wants to come to a rebuilding team..In UFA,it takes both parties to agree..This year with our young core, it will be attractive for UFA's.

Last edited:

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
With Kesler..they wanted a proven centre to replace Kesler (in the Canucks video JB is talking about that)..remember,they were still trying to compete.
The bottom 6 was an area they considered a weakness last off season..I don't think the idea was to be a playoff team this year,so they let the D and the goaltending be...They will blow their brains out on a D this off season.
A top 4 D is a major commodity...no decent UFA wants to come to a rebuilding team.(it takes two).In UFA,it takes both parties to agree..This year with our young core, it will be attractive for UFA's.

They really shouldn't have and a big part of being an NHL General Manager is coveting the right players.

Don't buy (and also don't give a f*** since it has nothing to do with anything) that Gillis coveted Gudbranson.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Benning's track record with blueliners is a bit concerning, although probably a bit overstated due to how unattractive a destination we have been the past few years. Other than RealGud though, Jimbo hasn't really made any significant investments that have been big misses at the position. It's been mostly short term, small dollar type signings, and a handful of mid round picks.

He did sign Stecher, so he has added a top 4 to the team. Plus some other decent UDFA signings that probably won't be core pieces, but reasonable organizational depth.

Hughes and Juolevi will go a long way in shaping Benning's Blueline legacy. If they both develop into top 4 players, along with Stecher, then in a couple seasons this conversation will be much different. Add in a Tryampkin return, and things would look good.

Don't see this being addressed at the trade deadline. Really not the time of year what we need will be available, short of am Edler trade which isn't happening. Defense will continue to be a work in progress for at least another couple seasons, but there is some solid long term pieces now in the organization.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
So they were signing free agents up until 2017 to "compete" (despite being the worst team in the league during that period of time) because they owe it to fans to "compete"... but now you're saying they are not signing free agents? Do they no longer owe it to us to compete?
Being a rebuilding 'competitive' team...,and being a 'competitive playoff contender" are two different things..The Canucks were picked to be somewhere around 31st this season, but have by and large 'competed' with a roster that lacks depth of a lot of teams have..and they're still 'competing'.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Feb 20th 2018 we would have been 4th worst with 59 points instead of 2nd worst with 53 (60 gp in both years) and still more than 10 points out of a playoff spot.

Nobody could have predicted how bad the West would be this year

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
He did sign Stecher, so he has added a top 4 to the team..
He’s no more a legitimate top 4 guy than Hutton is (eg., I don’t think Hutton is a legit top 4 guy yet). He might be someday (much like some of the guys Benning has drafted). He’s only got that spot because there’s nobody better than him on this team for that spot after Edler, Tanev and Hutton. That would be like calling Hamhuis a legit top 4 guy on this team (even though only Edler and Tanev are the only ones that have played better than him since Elmer told him to take a hike).

Last edited:

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Not saying much, but could this TDL be the highest Guddy's trade value will ever be again in his career? There has to be some go to bed early GM's in the east that still smell a little bit of that 3rd overall stench on him. Someone has to be thinking a change of scenery is all he needs........ but they'd be wrong.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Just showing how irrelevant saying “hey Gillis was interested in him once YEARS ago” has any meaning at the time he was acquired.
Is it though?..Obviously there was something in Guddy that other GM's around the league coveted.(according to Elliott Friedman,he still has value..go figure)...but then again, the game has changed considerably, even in the last 3 years.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

That was a bad call. Especially since Anaheim would have basically given us Matthieu Perreault for free.

Also they apparently targeted Sbisa over Vatanen, which is a horrific call.

Pastor Of Muppetz said:

Another horrible call!

BUT GILLIS!

Pastor Of Muppetz said:

And another terrible call and terrible evaluation of where the team was at and what they needed.

Pastor Of Muppetz said:
A top 4 D is a major commodity...no decent UFA wants to come to a rebuilding team.(it takes two).In UFA,it takes both parties to agree..This year with our young core, it will be attractive for UFA's.

Hmm ... if it’s so hard, it almost sounds like it was a bad call to just give away a legit top-4 defender in Dan Hamhuis when he was willing to take under market value to stay.

I’m sorry, but what a pathetic pile of excuses. You’re a GM in a big boy league, do your f***ing job and find some good players. If not, go away.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Feb 20th 2018 we would have been 4th worst with 59 points instead of 2nd worst with 53 (60 gp in both years) and still more than 10 points out of a playoff spot.

Nobody could have predicted how bad the West would be this year

That's just it... Next year, if the Canucks are worst with 59 points at 60 gp and 10 points out of the playoffs, is that a regress? The Canucks would have regressed to last in the league? Surely, the argument would be the Canucks didn't regress... and I'd agree. But the Canucks aren't progressing this year either. It's marginal, insignificant progress being made to this point. Nothing really to feel good about. Much better than I thought... but I thought the Canucks would be so bad they'd be breaking records.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Is it though?..Obviously there was something in Guddy that other GM's around the league coveted.(according to Elliott Friedman,he still has value..go figure)...but then again, the game has changed considerably, even in the last 3 years.
yeah and the shmuck was aware of the game changing three years ago considering he went from talking about meat and potatoes to it being about speed and skill

yet he still goes and gets these slow shitty vets lol

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Well he wasn’t drafted that high without any good reason. As to his perceived value by some GMs, I have never said Benning was the worst GM in the league (only that the standard shouldn’t be, “hey at least he ain’t the worst”). Polak getting two 2nds at the trade deadline shows that anything is possible.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Well he wasn’t drafted that high without any good reason. As to his perceived value by some GMs, I have never said Benning was the worst GM in the league (only that the standard shouldn’t be, “hey at least he ain’t the worst”). Polak getting two 2nds shows that anything is possible.

There is also a HUGE difference between liking someone when they’re 21 after 2 years in the league and when they’re 24 after 5 bad seasons.

Being willing to trade a huge package for Sam Bennett in 2015 is reasonable. Being willing to trade a huge package for Sam Bennett in 2019 is not.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
That's just it... Next year, if the Canucks are worst with 59 points at 60 gp and 10 points out of the playoffs, is that a regress? The Canucks would have regressed to last in the league? Surely, the argument would be the Canucks didn't regress... and I'd agree. But the Canucks aren't progressing this year either. It's marginal, insignificant progress being made to this point. Nothing really to feel good about. Much better than I thought... but I thought the Canucks would be so bad they'd be breaking records.
The fact we replaced probably the oldest top 6 in the NHL with probably the youngest is insignificant..?..Okey Dokey

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
The fact we replaced probably the oldest top 6 in the NHL with probably the youngest is insignificant..?..Okey Dokey

How much impact on points did the change in age have? Pettersson has significantly out performed my expectations, and is a formable Sedin replacement (kudos to all involved)... but the Canucks sucked under Benning with the Sedins, and so far, the Canucks suck under Benning with Pettersson. Significant improvement is yet to be seen.

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
That was a bad call. Especially since Anaheim would have basically given us Matthieu Perreault for free.

Also they apparently targeted Sbisa over Vatanen, which is a horrific call.

Another horrible call!

BUT GILLIS!

And another terrible call and terrible evaluation of where the team was at and what they needed.

Hmm ... if it’s so hard, it almost sounds like it was a bad call to just give away a legit top-4 defender in Dan Hamhuis when he was willing to take under market value to stay.

I’m sorry, but what a pathetic pile of excuses. You’re a GM in a big boy league, do your ****ing job and find some good players. If not, go away.

Not really...He's not going away either...This off season will be a defining moment for sure..one way or another.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
How much impact on points did the change in age have?
9th GF and 8th GA in the Western Conference.

You're obviously forgetting that when the Sedins retired and Vanek was dealt..It was widely perceived by the experts that we we were doomed. "Who's going to score?"....31st here we come.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
9th GF and 8th GA in the Western Conference.

You're obviously forgetting that when the Sedins retired and Vanek was dealt..It was widely perceived by the experts that we we were doomed. "Who's going to score?"....31st here we come.

Absolutely, me included. The first line was replaced. Going from where the Canucks were last year to 31st would be a regress. But the Canucks have managed to keep pace with just being amongst the worst teams on the league. Hardly significant progress. Preventing a significant regress is significant progress?

Reactions: Canucks5551
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad