Trade Deadline - 02.25.2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Benning is looking at four straight years of having a worse record than either Gillis or Nonis ever had. He can't lose. You know if the canucks were good this year, his supporters would be using that as "proof" that he's a genius, but if he falls flat on his face yet again, it means nothing. Literally all outcomes are a win for benning.
The time to fear this GM making moves to save his skin (and quite frankly who wouldn’t want to save their job by making a risky move if the playoffs are in doubt?) at least from a Canuckfan POV is NEXT season’s trade deadline IMHO (as I doubt Benning is feeling any heat from ownership right now).

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Oh this again.

I just love how people can trot this **** out and ignore the fact Benning and Linden have been trying to compete right now every single year either one's been here. Oh, the team was doomed to founder anyway, was it? And you somehow have slavish undying loyalty to the guys who thought they could turn the team around quickly.
Of course the team has been trying to compete..You owe that to your STH's and fans...Have they been actively trying to make the playoffs since TDL 2017..No they have not.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
The time to fear this GM making moves to save his skin (and quite frankly who wouldn’t want to save their job by making a risky move if the playoffs are in doubt?) at least from a Canuckfan POV is NEXT season’s trade deadline IMHO (as I doubt Benning is feeling any heat from ownership right now).

This year is their only chance. I would 100% be going for it if I were them. They won't be in the race next year.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
This year is their only chance. I would 100% be going for it if I were them. They won't be in the race next year.
Says the guy that predicted that they wouldn't win a single game in October,and Benning would get fired last week...Good Times..

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don't think Benning has a deep enough roster with all the injuries to really do much long term damage at the TDL. Now July 1st and free agency. That's a different story.

You'd think that after the experiments with guys like Eriksson, Gagner and Del Zotto that he'd have learned some lessons. But then again.

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019
Of course the team has been trying to compete..You owe that to your STH's and fans...Have they been actively trying to make the playoffs since TDL 2017..No they have not.
Wait... they're trying to compete to appease STHs... but they are also not trying to make the playoffs? What... does that mean, they're basically aiming for 10th-14th spot in the draft?

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
The time to fear this GM making moves to save his skin (and quite frankly who wouldn’t want to save their job by making a risky move if the playoffs are in doubt?).

That was always my biggest fear before he signed his extension..... maybe the only positive thing to come out of that extension was the fact that he at least wasn't a sitting duck GM anymore.

I'm not fearing that right now..... maybe because I can't see making the playoffs was the "do it or else" message from Aquilini. I can't fathom that he was expecting that we would make the playoffs and Bennings job would be in the balance.

However, I can see things like Goaliegate getting him fired. General stupidity like that... not necessarily performance based reasons... because if the goal was "meaningful games in February" then that has been achieved.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
This isn't EA Sports where you just trade everyone over the age of 25 for draft picks. What happens in 3 or 5 years and we have a room full of players who are used to a losing culture and has never played a big game. The Edmon Oilers happen. The Arizona Coyotes Happen. The Bufallo Sabres Happen.

So why does it create a losing culture if you end up at the bottom with a young team but somehow if you are the worst team in 3.5 years with a lot of overpaid veterans is considered developing the youngsters in the right way?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Wait... they're trying to compete to appease STHs... but they are also not trying to make the playoffs? What... does that mean, they're basically aiming for 10th-14th spot in the draft?
What that means ..is..since TDL 2017, they havent been blowing their brains out on big ticket UFA'a in the off season (lesson learned from Eriksson)..or been making TDL moves for a playoff push..They have been mostly signing placeholders to be a 'competitive team'..until the kids are ready.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Do you understand the difference between a prediction and a projection?

I'll wait while you google it.
Okey Dokey..projected then...Your still projecting way out of whack...and I'll hold you to the no playoffs in 4-5 years or whatever you projected...

All they are ,are absurd ‘hot takes’..

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
It's adorable though that these people are still clinging to a silly prediction I made in September for fun five months later in a juvenile attempt to discredit me. "but you predicted the score of the November 13th game would be 4-2! You obviously don't know anything!"

Morons.
If you're making the projections..then get ready to get called on it.(its a discussion board)..Name calling and getting bent out of shape does nothing to promote your cause.

Last edited:

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
So why does it create a losing culture if you end up at the bottom with a young team but somehow if you are the worst team in 3.5 years with a lot of overpaid veterans is considered developing the youngsters in the right way?

Losing culture starts at the top with management and coaching. Islanders hire Lamoreillo and Trotz and lose Tavares and suddenly become one of the best teams in the league. Blackhawks are bottom feeders for years and then get Quenneville and reel off 3 Cups. I don't think a management team made up of Benning, Weisbrod and an uninspiring coach like Green instills any sense of confidence or winning mentality no matter who the players are.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
What that means ..is..since TDL 2017, they havent been blowing their brains out on big ticket UFA'a in the off season (lesson learned from Eriksson)..or been making TDL moves for a playoff push..They have been mostly signing placeholders to be a 'competitive team'..until the kids are ready.
So let's see...Hughes can reasonably be expected to step in the lineup next season. So that's one guy. Who else? Dahlen is a long way from anywhere. Juolevi's coming off major surgery. Again. So...Sautner? Brisebois? Madden maybe? Honestly, it's a longshot that anyone aside from Hughes will displace anyone on the current roster and make much of a positive difference. You can't tell me putting in someone like Lind or Gadjovic over Motte or Granlund or someone is going to be a noticeable jump. So maybe that's one more guy out of the system on the big team. So...more placeholders, then? Let's just trot out Spooner, Beagle, Roussel, Motte, Granlund (maybe), Goldobin (maybe), Sutter, etc etc etc.

And that's year 6.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
So let's see...Hughes can reasonably be expected to step in the lineup next season. So that's one guy. Who else? Dahlen is a long way from anywhere. Juolevi's coming off major surgery. Again. So...Sautner? Brisebois? Madden maybe? Honestly, it's a longshot that anyone aside from Hughes will displace anyone on the current roster and make much of a positive difference. You can't tell me putting in someone like Lind or Gadjovic over Motte or Granlund or someone is going to be a noticeable jump. So maybe that's one more guy out of the system on the big team. So...more placeholders, then? Let's just trot out Spooner, Beagle, Roussel, Motte, Granlund (maybe), Goldobin (maybe), Sutter, etc etc etc.

And that's year 6.
I would say a UFA...

“If we can start next year with Hughes and Juolevi, that can help change the look of our defence. That’s not to say we won’t be in on a free agent player through a trade.”..Jim Benning.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
How many top 4 D has Benning acquired via trade or free agency in 4+ years?

What assets would we have to give up in a trade to acquire a legit top 4 d-man..?...What is the asking price?..Think about it?..What did Calgary give up for Hamonic..?..Its not as easy as plucking one off of the Top 4 D Tree.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
What assets would we have to give up in a trade to acquire a legit top 4 d-man..?...What is the asking price?..Think about it?..What did Calgary give up for Hamonic..?..Its not as easy as plucking one off of the Top 4 D Tree.

Maybe it's be easier if you managed your assets properly and didn't invest some of your better trading chips in trash like Gudbranson.

The theme of this offseason should be cheaply taking advantage of teams f***ed by the salary cap and if Benning can do that to fix our depth at winger and defence I'll gain a whole hell of a lot more respect for him.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Maybe it's be easier if you managed your assets properly and didn't invest some of your better trading chips in trash like Gudbranson.
Not one of Bennings finer moments in hindsight..Although,paired with the right d-man, I don't mind him on the 3rd pairing..

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Even Nonis was able to acquire one via free agency. The guy Elmer inherited and kicked to the curb (losing him for nothing) would still be at least the 4th best D on the team right now.

Elmer blew his wad on a #6 D by dealing a recently drafted 1st round pick and a high 2nd round pick. But that wasn’t the egregious error. Giving him a raise and term when you knew he’s replacement level is.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Ryan Kesler?

McCann and #33 overall package?

$8 million/year spent on 4th liners last summer?

$12 million/year spent on garbage free agents in the summer of 2017?

$36 million spent on Loui Eriksson in the summer of 2016?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad