Confirmed with Link: TRADE: Bruins get Nick Holden from NYR for Rob O'Gara and third round pick

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
The Bruins should be able to get a 5/6 pick for him. Not like he's making a killing.

Maybe but like I said above, if he's the guy that's going to hit waivers, would a team give anything up for him? I don't know other team's defensive situations so who knows who needs a Postma. I feel every team has a Postma-type defenseman lol

gvkmedia

Let’s fight through this….
Mar 2, 2002
Kingsville
www.hollandbloorview.ca
I think it's a relatively high price to pay for a guy who, ideally, won't see the ice

O'Gara wasn't passing anyone on our depth chart and that late 3rd rounder... chances are better the this mystery player will never play in the NHL either. Goodpeice of insurance for sure.

Upgrade Krejci's RW, and/or 3rd line centre (Ryan Donato will grab one of these spots I believe) and we are ready for the playoffs.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Holden is a good bottom-pair defenseman who can move the puck and put up some points. In a pinch he can step into a bigger role but on a regular basis he would be exploited in doing so. He's a good guy to have on your team, either playing regularly as a 5 or 6, or IMO would be one of the best 7's around. I think you guys will really like him if he's not asked to do too much. Any venom directed towards him from Rangers fans is a direct result of him struggling when being asked to play on our top pair, which just isn't fair to the guy.

Any thoughts on O'Gara? 6/7 or just AHL fodder?

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
If this was a 4th rounder instead of a 3rd, we'd probably be saying very little. So essentially a couple of players separate the late 3rd from the early 4th. Worth pondering that.

Guys I crap on Sweeney more than almost anyone on here. This is totally fine.

I didn't realize we had an early 4th round draft pick because if we didn't then this would be a moot point.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
eh, it is what it is. Sometimes one team's trash is another team's treasure. Matt Irwin was a dumpster fire in Boston & ended up relegated to Providence. Then he ended up in Nashville and was a regular in their top 6 all the way to the finals.

I will say this...the Bruins have been giving up too many high danger shots lately...maybe the size upgrade over Gryz helps mitigate that a bit.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah really bad trade on your end, we would've been okay with a 6th round pick.. Maybe playing less minutes he can benefit from, but he's a 7th defensemen..

Good luck
This is the kind of stuff I'm referring to when I say some Rangers fans can't separate Holden the player from Holden the guy who was stupidly asked too do way too much. We acquired him for a fourth; getting a sixth for him after his good year last season would not have been viewed by a majority of Rangers fans as a victory.

I think this trade is reasonable for both parties.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Overall, the Rag fans are loving this trade. This angers me. 4th for a 3rd+ blah blah :(

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Holden is a good bottom-pair defenseman who can move the puck and put up some points. In a pinch he can step into a bigger role but on a regular basis he would be exploited in doing so. He's a good guy to have on your team, either playing regularly as a 5 or 6, or IMO would be one of the best 7's around. I think you guys will really like him if he's not asked to do too much. Any venom directed towards him from Rangers fans is a direct result of him struggling when being asked to play on our top pair, which just isn't fair to the guy.

O'Gara is essentially a younger Holden IMO. This was probably done in part to give him a chance to crack an NHL lineup because he was pretty much ripe but wasn't going to leapfrog anyone in our top 7 this year. I think he can be an NHL player. Skates well for a bigger guy, can handle the puck decently. Gets caught running around in the D-zone a bit too much, but hopefully that can be coached out of him.

Reactions: nyr2k2

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

O'Gara has potential to be a bottom pair guy if given a chance. He's 24 years old, but only has 11 NHL games. Just passed the 100 game mark for Providence, where he's been a steady player. Good skater, and good defensively, but not sure he has a lot of offensive upside. I think he's more than just AHL fodder.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

6/7 is his upside. Which at 25 and counting he hasn't hit yet. And wont here.

I believe him to be a tweener.
NHL/AHL..
Mostly AHL

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
O'Gara is essentially a younger Holden IMO. This was probably done in part to give him a chance to crack an NHL lineup because he was pretty much ripe but wasn't going to leapfrog anyone in our top 7 this year. I think he can be an NHL player. Skates well for a bigger guy, can handle the puck decently. Gets caught running around in the D-zone a bit too much, but hopefully that can be coached out of him.
Thank you for the insight.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Well good to know he is excited about a chance to win.Hopefully he comes in and blends and just plays a smart steady game.

If you're referring to the line, "never seen a happier person in my life," I think Grabner is saying that overall, Holden is just a happy guy. Not that he's specifically happy about being traded.

Reactions: Sevendust

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Not great when the other fanbase is laughing at the deal, but I'm withholding judgement on the player until I see him play here.

I just think we paid above sticker.
This will be my last post on this in here, but definitely reserve judgment. As a bottom pair or depth D, you guys got a fine player. Now it's up to you guys to decide whether that's worth a third based on where you're at this year and as an organization as a whole. I think it's a fair deal. Holden was acquired by us for a fourth and then improved his value, so a third doesn't seem unreasonable for him. I don't know about O'Gara but you guys don't seem to be bothered by losing him. All in all, I think you'll like the player and probably feel like this is a fair deal in a few weeks. JMO. Good luck to Holden.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Not great when the other fanbase is laughing at the deal, but I'm withholding judgement on the player until I see him play here.

I just think we paid above sticker.
When Matt Irwin flunked out of the Bruins lineup after 2 games I never would have believed that in a couple years he would play 22 playoff games on a trip to the finals. I don't like to put too much stock in what other fanbases say about a player, especially on this board. There's always a whipping boy mentality for every team, and teams that are having bad seasons tend to make fans overly negative about players.

I think Holden is good enough to be a bottom 6 for us and we saw last year how valuable defensive depth is so I can live with this. In the end it will come down to fit IMO.

We know the Bruins are a far better coached team than the Rags so it wouldn't surprise me at all if Cassidy got more out of Holden than AV.

Reactions: Jdavidev

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad