Confirmed with Link: TRADE: Bruins get Nick Holden from NYR for Rob O'Gara and third round pick

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
A top 6 forward? Also, it wouldn't have been DeBrusk ("one of our higher touted prospects) for McDonagh straight up. It would have been DeBrusk +
You do not know that. Nobody on here knows that. We've heard that the Rangers insist on DeBrusk in any deal for McD. Too much right there IMHO, add to that another prospect AND a 1st round draft pick and Sweeney is hung in effigy in front of TD Garden.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
You do not know that. Nobody on here knows that. We've heard that the Rangers insist on DeBrusk in any deal for McD. Too much right there IMHO, add to that another prospect AND a 1st round draft pick and Sweeney is hung in effigy in front of TD Garden.

Im not following this argument.

Is anyone saying debrusk was offered by sweeney? All i read is he was asked for from rangers

To me... this isnt a mystery

Boston... hey what about mcdonough?

Newyork... sure, we love debrusk

Boston... oh... what about holden then?

I think alot of us get way too excited about the rangers liking debrusk. Hes a very likable kid. Theyd be fools not to like him but hes ours

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
My initial reaction was 'huh'. After thinking about it i like it.

The Bruins get a big top 6 LHD who only last year put up 34 points. With Chara age and propensity for injury and 2 smurfs behind him on the left side this makes a whole lot of sense.

I'm very happy for OGara and his family. He's from Long Island and he could have got buried here quickly - this likely is a huge break for him. My like for the Rangers just went up a notch.

The third will be well back in that round and I'm fine with it

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Im not following this argument.

Is anyone saying debrusk was offered by sweeney? All i read is he was asked for from rangers

To me... this isnt a mystery

Boston... hey what about mcdonough?

Newyork... sure, we love debrusk

Boston... oh... what about holden then?

I think alot of us get way too excited about the rangers liking debrusk. Hes a very likable kid. Theyd be fools not to like him but hes ours
The report came out of Edmonton and for all we know his dad may have said something to Matherson after talking to Slats or someone in the Rangers system

I'd ask for DeBrusk as well - my two targets if I was Gorton would be DeBrusk and Vaakanainen. Both are looking like excellent picks with bright NHL careers and to get McDonagh this is what you are going to be asked for

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
It just feels like every year the Bruins make "depth" moves at the deadline. I get that they have some talent down in Providence, but would making a splash be such a bad thing for Donnie? Holden and Potsma are going to be buying drinks for one another in the press box for crying out loud. Would McDonagh have been such a bad pick up for one of our higher touted prospects?

Most deals at the deadline are "depth moves".

Midship

Jan 7, 2016
Depth. Don't overthink it.
I hear ya, but on what planet do you give up a 3rd (in the current draft year no less) plus a decent prospect for injury insurance? Hopefully overstated - I'll wait to see him in Black and Gold.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I hear ya, but on what planet do you give up a 3rd (in the current draft year no less) plus a decent prospect for injury insurance? Hopefully overstated - I'll wait to see him in Black and Gold.

Because that 3rd is going to be a late 3rd round pick, and that prospect isn't going to get a chance here. Boston wanted to make sure that they didn't run into a situation where Tommy Cross is playing minutes in the playoffs with this move.

Reactions: Chief Nine

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I'll post this again...

It sounds like they're not looking to move any defensemen. They specifically want the depth.

Yes Thanks.
I saw your earlier post of Sweeney's tweet.

Which very well could be the case, but I believe Sweeney isn't going to play his hand for the media to reveal to the other 31GMs.

What I'm saying is there were rumors out-there not too long ago that Miller was drawing interest from around the league and when it comes down too the last few days or the last few minutes leading up to the deadline its nice to have a few extra weapons in your arsenal, just in case something comes back on the table or something unexpected happens.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Donny doing right by his player as well. It matters to young players to know if things are not working out they will be moved to a team that will give them that chance.

Maybe its my old age and Im softening but I truly feel this way.

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
Over payed a bit, but much better than a Seidenberg type acquisition.

Holden is from Alberta. I wonder if there is any connection to this road trip?

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Because that 3rd is going to be a late 3rd round pick, and that prospect isn't going to get a chance here. Boston wanted to make sure that they didn't run into a situation where Tommy Cross is playing minutes in the playoffs with this move.

I just don’t get all the angst over 3rd round picks

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Brad Marchand was a 3rd round pick. Danton Heinen was a 4th round pick. Anders Bjork went in the 5th round.

Ya never know. Having another spin of the roulette wheel always has some kind of value.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
"What a steal
Thank God he’s gone
Just need to get rid of Miller the Bozo now "

Oooof.

I’d put very little value on a comment like this.

After all, until fairly recently our own forum was a bashing place for Kevin Miller, who’s been a pretty reliable defender for quite some time now.

Many fans are blind, unrealistic, negative, or stupid.

Let’s just see what his guy can do and also wish The O’G good luck.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Thats apples and oranges. people need to stop comparing our team and the Pens team. They are night and day. Different system, different type players, different philosophy. We play a way more structured game and i would say rely more on our defense then they do.

Carlo was just brutal three nights ago. Has been good lately before that, But he is very soft and inconsistent and for me, not a hardened guy i want going against the Ovechkins, Malkins, Crosby's Tavereses, Stamkos, and the rest of the top six offenses in the east.

You can trust it and thats fine. I dont. I would even feel safer will Miller then him to be honest. I think that will change when he is 25. But not now. Again, thats me. And i feel the same on Spooner, I like the kid, nice little player, hate to see him go, But he is not top six grease and if i can get a top six 25-30 goal guy.....I am in.

The fact of the matter is that the Bruins are 57 games into their season and despite your claims otherwise, Carlo has been a legit Top 4 D on one of the best teams in the NHL from Game 1 through the present at the age of 20.

There will be mistakes made in the playoffs by players regardless of age or experience. I’m not sure why you are so convinced that Carlo is not capable of playing the same role in the playoffs that he has all year.

I’m not.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
In a vacuum, obviously NYR got the better of this trade for a rental. But with the Bs in the position to make a legit Cup run this move makes total sense. If Sweeney revealed anything today, it's that he's serious about putting the team in the best position he can to make a run, meaning I won't be shocked if another trade or two comes along. I really like O'Gara and think he can stay in the NHL if he ever gets a solid chance. Hopefully things work out for him in NY. I haven't seen Holden a ton, but the things that worry me most about him is that he seems kind of soft and stupid at times. It's possible I have just caught him at bad moments over the years. The upside to him is that he can score and is better than Postma. Also, he has been miscast this season by the moron of a coach of the NYR. I'm interested to see what he can do playing in a more fitting role. Bottom line, he is a decent depth player who might be needed if injuries take place. Kind of a meh trade, however the Bs needed at least one of those for bottom-pairing depth.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
they overpaid for a left-shot defenseman, but it's not a really big deal. they are incredibly deep on D now, and assume
everyone is gonna get a chance to play down the stretch - lots of games in a compressed schedule. o'gara i think is an
NHL player and based on the competition around him, sweeney probably felt it was best to move the kid to a spot
where he could get a shot. i applaud that, o'gara is a really good kid and deserves a chance. too soon to say how they
line up, but i do wonder if they'll just keep all 9 D to ensure that depth we were missing last year. they can carry 12/9/2
until the deadline, and then there's no roster limits. of course, who knows what else sweeney is up to w-r-t the forwards.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
It's more the concept. If the attitude is, who cares it's just another asset, then that is bad.

Assets should be used wisely.

I agree but as many have pointed out, it’s a late 3rd and that’s the price they paid. The team has plenty of prospects in the pipleline at this point so it is an expendable asset. Ya gotta give to get.

I mean this pick could be the next Brad Marchand but you don’t know that right now

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
It's more the concept. If the attitude is, who cares it's just another asset, then that is bad.

Assets should be used wisely.

3rd round picks are pure gold when spent on Rinaldo, Meszaros, chistov or Liles but not when spent on a#6d or in this case a guy who is now your 8th best defenseman. They have to be figuring him as a 4 or 6 by playoff time IMO.

As is the case with this place the past couple years the same people always love Bruins moves and the same people always hate Bruins moves so there really isn't much good debate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad