Confirmed with Link: TRADE: Bruins get Nick Holden from NYR for Rob O'Gara and third round pick

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I don't follow the fancy advanced stats but if any of them paint a nice picture I'd love to see it.

Okay...Everyone is different, and you can make an argument for stats that are (not) important, etc. I also prefer 5v5 only statistics, but you can look at even strength which also includes 4v4 and 3v3. Here's what I like to do when looking at other players. Look at the team as whole. Rangers average 3.12 GA/Gm, which ranks 9th worst in the league. Obviously, that's not just a defenseman-problem. That is including forwards. They also give up the 4th most shots per game, 34 on average. They're middle of the pack for GF/GM, averaging 2.83. So the Rangers give up more goals than they score. (170 GF -- 187 GA = -17). From here, I like to compare all the defensemen on the team, who play a majority of the time. With the Rangers, McDonagh, Holden, Staal, DeAngelo (22 games), Shattenkirk, Kampfer (22 games), and Smith (now in the minors).

Nick Holden -- 5v5 Statistics:
905 minutes = 2nd
16:45 TOI/GM = 3rd
Points/60: 0.73 = 2nd

CF: 45.73% = 5th
GF/60: 2.79 = 2nd

GA/60: 2.98 = 7th
oiSV%: .914 = 5th

Like I said above, some people value stats more than others. Maybe someone could add to this with their views? From this, he compares pretty well to the other defenseman on the Rangers. Remember that when he comes here and plays, he'll be with a better defensive core, a better goalie, and a better team in front of him. We'll see....I don't hate the deal or the price. I like the depth move.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Eric Fehr wasn't even playing for Marlies, that's how highly the Leafs thought of him, he was on loan to the SD Gulls.

This isn't a depth move, it's helping out a fellow GM get further below the 50 man contract limit move. Leafs now at 48 contracts.

Man, after the Bruins burned the LA King bridge to send Martin Jones there this is how we get repaid????

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
When McD was out against Ottawa the guy plays 23 minutes , he plays a lot in general and has a low cap hit . I don't see why u would just offer the Rangers nothing and they would take it . We got another D guy who can play . Of course a 3rd 5th 6th pick can result in a good player but the odds are long enough I relax myself after the first couple rds are traded. As for the Carlo talk lol the guy better not be going anywhere and the future looks so so bright for him.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
Holden has had an okay season given his extremely tough usage while playing on his wrong side. He can also skate, and scored 11 goals/34 points last season. Make no mistake, he is way better than Adam McQuaid.

Reactions: Strafer
Feb 25, 2016
It's a smart move. Injuries have hit the Bruins in the passed during the playoffs and Holder add creditable veteran defense. O'Gara might just be a bottom 6 someday but he was a 5th round pick for a reason. It's not a blockbuster but definitely, an insurances policy should oft injuries McQuaid or Miller or both go down.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Good luck to O’Gara. Too many LHD passing him by to get a real shot. Think henisnat worst a 3rd pairing D.

Meh on Holden

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I must not come here enough, when did people start to sour on Carlo?

Is he who the spin wheel landed on?

Ive been cheering bruins for 45 years... i cant remember any big talented guy we didnt sour on unless he was gritty and ready to battle hard physically

Maybe jean ratelle was allowed to be a gentleman... but everyone else either battles or gets labled sawft

Reactions: PlayMakers

Ron Quixote

Bring all the lovers to the fold...
Feb 15, 2007
The 'Ville - Bullitt County
48 slipped?! Demoted?! Where did you get these analyses? Ray Charles? SMMFH

He's going to get a chance on the 3rd pairing. Grzelyck has slipped recently. And they were always going to pick up insurance on the left side. Suprised they included O'Gara, but they must feel like he's expendable with Grzelyck probably being demoted, so many left handed defenseman.

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Playoffs are very different. Carlo is 21-22....He has time and has a higher ceiling then where he is now. But in no way shape or form should he be a top four on a team cup worthy. Just like Spooner cant be a top six forward.

They just are not that.

Four of the six PIT D from last year say hello. You could easily make a case that Carlo is better than those guys.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
Nothing wrong with this move. Not sure why anyone is puzzled by it.

Simply put, if injuries occur down the stretch or into the playoffs, the Bruins are better off with Holden as the 4th LD spare than they would be with O'Gara.

Holden is a 3rd pair D on most teams, he's got almost 400 NHL games under his belt, has averaged 20 mins a game for his career, 19 this season.

With the emergence of Gryz, and with Zboril and Lauzon soon to be pushing down in Providence, soon to be 25-year old Rob O'Gara didn't appear to have much of a future in Boston.

A 3rd is a little bit expensive, but we don't know what the market is like for depth LD. Washington gave up a 3rd for Kempny yesterday, so that appears to be the price for 3rd pair/spare LD.

Given that the UFA rental LD market is pretty darn thin this year (Your looking at older guys like Seidenberg, Gorges, and Oduya), in theory would of raised the price on these types of players. I'd argue of the UFA Rental depth LD, the Bruins might of gotten the best one.

The bolded is always puzzling to me. If Chara or McAvoy get hurt, we aren't winning a cup. If Krug or Carlo get hurt, we have like a 1% chance to win the cup. We keep preparing for these rainy day scenarios, when frankly who cares? I'd rather use all these picks and prospects to worry about the BEST case scenario. This is just Meszaros all over again; a guy who is a healthy scratch if everyone is healthy. Let's solve a problem instead of putting a band-aid on it.

We've also had plenty of time and wasted opportunities to build depth. We had opportunities to bring guys in via FA over the off-season, and added Postma who has been a big waste of money. All of the trades for guys like Stempniak, Liles, etc. have cost us the ability to add further depth with some term using picks.

Also don't like what this means for Gryz. He's been very good and I'd like to see more of him. He's done nothing to deserve to go to Providence.

Probably means we're out of the McDonagh sweepstakes which is also not exciting.

Good news is this is probably a precursor to something else. Although the history is not great.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
I must not come here enough, when did people start to sour on Carlo?

Is he who the spin wheel landed on?
I love his talent I wish he were semi physical when needed. Yes, I realize he has a fight now. Hopefully that is the start of something more. Don't need him to be McQuaid but when a scrum is ongoing and Krug is taking on the other team I'd expect him to step in, or shove someone back in his own crease.

His skating is terrific as is his positioning and potential.

Florida Bruin

Jun 11, 2011
Does the Holden trade mean Gryz gets benched or demoted?

Who gets benched? Holden himself perhaps with Postma getting demoted?

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
You never know what you can lose as far as personal in a series and win. Pitt lost Fleury threw in an American hockey league goalie Poof win cup and have a new goalie . Lost several defenseman both years , Letang for yr Poof won. A run of the mill team like Buff several yrs back lost like 5 of 6 D and came one game from the cup . We are getting strong enough on D now that sure there are a few names I don't want to lose but no one guy means defeat in a series .

Reactions: Strafer

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
Management has built a hell of a team . I trust them on this move.
We'll know soon enough.
Looking at his stats I see a lot of positive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad