Trade and Free Agent Discussion Thread - 2018/2019 Season v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Has anyone heard anything about Berglund?
Wouldn't mind giving him a contract for the year if he is looking to play.

Best case scenario, he is a better version on the Goat. Faster, more physical and a ton more playoff experience.
Worst case, sign him and give him a million bucks to play in the AHL where our C depth is atrocious and let him build his game back up in case of injury.
I'd do this except if signed to a cheap contract he'd never make it thru waivers.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Bite the bullet?

Kapanen+TOR 4th for Pesce?

Zaitsev+Brown for Martinez and Clifford - Not sure how even this is? I think both these players combined beat what LA is sending us but Z's term...kind of evens it out?

Rielly-Pesce
Gardiner-Martinez
Dermott-Hainsey

We could go one step further and do Oz+3rd for Jensen at 50% - This results in us still being under the bonus potential, therefore no cap next year. Holl gets demoted, Hainsey is #7.

We keep our top 60 picks and Liljegren in this scenario. Clifford has another year after this at 1.6M and Martinez has another 2 left at 4M.

Jensen in that hyopthetical scenario walks. I don't think I have ever seen a team replace 2-3 defenseman at the TDL. I know Pittsburgh added Hainsey and Streit that one year with Letang out but I don't think Streit actually played.
no thank you, I'd rather wait until after July 1st and trade Nylander to the Canes for Pesce plus. Cane's have some young players that would be worth trying to acquire: Gauthier, Roy, Killinen, Fleury.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
The biggest thing Dubas needs to do IMO, is find a 2nd pairing RHD so Zaitsev's minutes are reduced to 3rd pairing ones.
Gardnier/Zaitev must be separated, they just don't work as a pairing. Due to Nylander being over paid there's no chance Jake returns, so why not pair Zaitev with someone else and see if he's worth keeping?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
no thank you, I'd rather wait until after July 1st and trade Nylander to the Canes for Pesce plus. Cane's have some young players that would be worth trying to acquire: Gauthier, Roy, Killinen, Fleury.

Trying to win a Cup this year, window is open now. Plus you're overpaying for Pesce.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Jensen would be a great fit

Agreed, just not sure how to swing that.

Martinez deal was about swapping out Z for him.

Pesce is just Pesce.

Jensen would take out Hainsey and although I don’t mind it, I’d be surprised if they did it.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Trying to win a Cup this year, window is open now. Plus you're overpaying for Pesce.
the overpaying for Pesce is debatable imo. One has to consider what one's team's need are, I mean the glaring team need, which is D men that can actually defend. Nylander for Pesce+ is not a over payment if 1 or more of the players I mentioned could be added to Pesce. Leafs would have to throw in a add, how big of which would depend of Nylander actually playing like a 60 point player, something that doesn't look likely this year, which might just make him not worth the aforementioned trade. This whole hold out, last minute has definitely been Dubas' strike one, he better do better on the Mathews/Marner negotiations imo.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I don't think the Leafs have a realistic chance of winning the cup this year, anything can happen, but I wouldn't bet on it. Wishful thinking, nothing more.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

The way you talk about nylander, you can’t honestly beleive nylander would get pesce? What is it with you nylander hating posters? You talk about him like a 4th liner then expect a good return. It makes 0 sense

Reactions: MinJaBen

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
okfUWbZ.png

Was bored, so I did this. I tried to go on the high side for everybody (at least what I think is the high side). Its pretty tight, didnt even have room for an extra forward. Traded Brown for a draft pick. The D is pretty terrible, to say the least.

Need to get rid of Zaitsev, and replace him with someone cheaper. That, or get rid of Marleau, which I dont think is going to happen. But those 2 contracts are cap killers for us. Matthews and Marner giving up 250-500k a year would be huge for us too.

Dubas certainly has his work cut out for him.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
The way you talk about nylander, you can’t honestly beleive nylander would get pesce? What is it with you nylander hating posters? You talk about him like a 4th liner then expect a good return. It makes 0 sense
my rebuttal is you Nylander lovers talk about Pesce like he's chopped liver, which he obiviously isn't, no he isn't a offensice dynamo, but he's EXACTLY what the Leafs need, in fact they need 2 defensive D men that are young and on sweetheart deals just like Pesce is. It makes perfect sense.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
my rebuttal is you Nylander lovers talk about Pesce like he's chopped liver, which he obiviously isn't, no he isn't a offensice dynamo, but he's EXACTLY what the Leafs need, in fact they need 2 defensive D men that are young and on sweetheart deals just like Pesce is. It makes perfect sense.

Your rebuttal is wrong so what was the point of typing that?. The way you talk about nylander he wouldn’t get a bottom pair d you can’t have it both ways man. He is good enough to get a top pair dman or he is dogshit like you describe him. Essentially you are saying brown could get a top pair dman because I’ve seen a lot of posters say brown is better

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Your rebuttal is wrong so what was the point of typing that?. The way you talk about nylander he wouldn’t get a bottom pair d you can’t have it both ways man. He is good enough to get a top pair dman or he is dog**** like you describe him. Essentially you are saying brown could get a top pair dman because I’ve seen a lot of posters say brown is better
at least Brown puts forth a effort, imagine how good he'd be if he had half the natural talent Nylander is wasting?

RLF

May 5, 2014
Gardnier/Zaitev must be separated, they just don't work as a pairing. Due to Nylander being over paid there's no chance Jake returns, so why not pair Zaitev with someone else and see if he's worth keeping?

I know it sounds a stretch to work, but would like to see trying Rielly/Ozhiganov, Dermott/Gardiner, Hainsey/Ziatsev.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
the overpaying for Pesce is debatable imo. One has to consider what one's team's need are, I mean the glaring team need, which is D men that can actually defend. Nylander for Pesce+ is not a over payment if 1 or more of the players I mentioned could be added to Pesce. Leafs would have to throw in a add, how big of which would depend of Nylander actually playing like a 60 point player, something that doesn't look likely this year, which might just make him not worth the aforementioned trade. This whole hold out, last minute has definitely been Dubas' strike one, he better do better on the Mathews/Marner negotiations imo.

Not really

I don't think the Leafs have a realistic chance of winning the cup this year, anything can happen, but I wouldn't bet on it. Wishful thinking, nothing more.

We're a top 5 team this year. Literally shoring up the weaknesses/concerns w/the team. with those deals.

Can't really take you seriously anymore.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Manson for Nylander+

Should be offered to Ducks who are desperate for offensive talent up front.

Pesce for Kapanen

Also a big possibility, although I would hate to lose Kapanen, as I really like his attitude and skillset

Pietrangelo or Parayko for Nylander+1st

This is another big possibility, as both these players are rumored to be on the market

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Manson for Nylander+

Should be offered to Ducks who are desperate for offensive talent up front.

Pesce for Kapanen

Also a big possibility, although I would hate to lose Kapanen, as I really like his attitude and skillset

Pietrangelo or Parayko for Nylander+1st

This is another big possibility, as both these players are rumored to be on the market

LOL no.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
okfUWbZ.png

Was bored, so I did this. I tried to go on the high side for everybody (at least what I think is the high side). Its pretty tight, didnt even have room for an extra forward. Traded Brown for a draft pick. The D is pretty terrible, to say the least.

Need to get rid of Zaitsev, and replace him with someone cheaper. That, or get rid of Marleau, which I dont think is going to happen. But those 2 contracts are cap killers for us. Matthews and Marner giving up 250-500k a year would be huge for us too.

Dubas certainly has his work cut out for him.
Zaitsev and Marleau need to go. This team cannot afford a bad contract. We are a worse team next year with that group of players.

I'm of the opinion that we need to go for it this year in a big way. Acquire either Gudas and Simmonds from Philly or Muzzin and Martinez from LA. If you can, move Zaitsev out in one of those trades. Hope Marleau quits after this year and we can trade his cap hit to Arizona. Grundstrom replaces Marleau and Brown is traded for a pick.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Zaitsev and Marleau need to go. This team cannot afford a bad contract. We are a worse team next year with that group of players.

I'm of the opinion that we need to go for it this year in a big way. Acquire either Gudas and Simmonds from Philly or Muzzin and Martinez from LA. If you can, move Zaitsev out in one of those trades. Hope Marleau quits after this year and we can trade his cap hit to Arizona.

Kind of wondering in what world did Marner earn 10.5M per and Matthews 12M per. Toronto has to pay 10% more than their value?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
fair enough, may I remind you of this post after another early playoff exit?

Only if we make moves and still go out. Although context would still apply, such as, did Andersen get injured etc?

If we go into the playoffs with this group of 6 defenseman, yeah, not optimistic.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Kind of wondering in what world did Marner earn 10.5M per and Matthews 12M per. Toronto has to pay 10% more than their value?
I tend to agree. With that being said, this team is going to have to be very cap conscious. Can't have any under-performing or under-producing players ala Marleau, Zaitsev, Brown.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
We're a top 5 team this year. Literally shoring up the weaknesses/concerns w/the team. with those deals.
how do you suggest Dubas go about fixing the D that is resembling Swiss Cheese before the playoffs?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I tend to agree. With that being said, this team is going to have to be very cap conscious. Can't have any under-performing or under-producing players ala Marleau, Zaitsev, Brown.

100%

Wrote a blog piece on this a while ago....although Marleau is probably the trickiest one to figure out what to do with.

how do you suggest Dubas go about fixing the D that is resembling Swiss Cheese before the playoffs?

My suggestion was;

Kyle Clifford
Alec Martinez

for

Nikita Zaitsev
Connor Brown
Maybe a pick if need be

Kapanen for Brett Pesce

We could also offer Ozhiganov and a 3rd for Jensen but that bumps Hainsey entirely out of the top 6, depends on if you feel Hainsey can play 3rd pairing with Dermott. He probably can. If the 3rd has to be attached to a guy like Kappy to bring in Pesce, just forget about it.

The right side is less of a black hole and a lot more mobile.

How does it effect the cap the following year? If it is 83M

Marner 9M x8 yrs
Matthews 11M x8yrs
Johnsson 1.9M x2 yrs

Hyman(2.25M)-Tavares(11M)-Marner(9M)
Johnsson(1.9M-Matthews(11M)-Nylander(6.9M)
Marleau(6.25M)-Kadri(4.5M)-Grundstrom(ELC)
Clifford(1.6M)-Gauthier(650k)-Moore(775k)
League minimum spare forward(s)

Rielly(5M)-Pesce(4.05M)
Dermott(863k)-Martinez(4M)
Rosen(750k)-Liljegren(895k)
Holl (650k)

Andersen (5M)
Hutchinson (1M)

You can move Sparks and possibly Oz if he didn't go in that Jensen trade for some more picks. 1-2M cap space, I played around with it last night and was pretty happy with the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad