Trade and Free Agent Discussion Thread - 2018/2019 Season v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Manson for Nylander+

Should be offered to Ducks who are desperate for offensive talent up front.

Pesce for Kapanen

Also a big possibility, although I would hate to lose Kapanen, as I really like his attitude and skillset

Pietrangelo or Parayko for Nylander+1st

This is another big possibility, as both these players are rumored to be on the market
The plus is on the wrong side here.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
at least Brown puts forth a effort, imagine how good he'd be if he had half the natural talent Nylander is wasting?

Effort? Like when he chased down the Bruin defender last night and drew a penalty which lead to Marner's goal?

It's a bit baffling some are bitter or resentful from the contract situation. It'll be interesting to see if Kapanen takes the same approach and asks for fairly big number (that becomes public) or holds out.

HC7

May 2, 2018
Why on earth would you measure a defense-first defenseman by his point total.

Are you going to measure Gibsons performance by how many goals he scores this season?

Because he scored 40 last season, and is on pace for half of that this season.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
100%

Wrote a blog piece on this a while ago....although Marleau is probably the trickiest one to figure out what to do with.

My suggestion was;

Kyle Clifford
Alec Martinez

for

Nikita Zaitsev
Connor Brown
Maybe a pick if need be

Kapanen for Brett Pesce

We could also offer Ozhiganov and a 3rd for Jensen but that bumps Hainsey entirely out of the top 6, depends on if you feel Hainsey can play 3rd pairing with Dermott. He probably can. If the 3rd has to be attached to a guy like Kappy to bring in Pesce, just forget about it.

The right side is less of a black hole and a lot more mobile.

How does it effect the cap the following year? If it is 83M

Marner 9M x8 yrs
Matthews 11M x8yrs
Johnsson 1.9M x2 yrs

Hyman(2.25M)-Tavares(11M)-Marner(9M)
Johnsson(1.9M-Matthews(11M)-Nylander(6.9M)
Marleau(6.25M)-Kadri(4.5M)-Grundstrom(ELC)
Clifford(1.6M)-Gauthier(650k)-Moore(775k)
League minimum spare forward(s)

Rielly(5M)-Pesce(4.05M)
Dermott(863k)-Martinez(4M)
Rosen(750k)-Liljegren(895k)
Holl (650k)

Andersen (5M)
Hutchinson (1M)

You can move Sparks and possibly Oz if he didn't go in that Jensen trade for some more picks. 1-2M cap space, I played around with it last night and was pretty happy with the team.
I would be happy with those trades you suggested. Clifford is absolutely terrible though and has another year at $1.6m. With Moore re-signing today, we wouldn't have a place for him.

Otherwise, I like the assets. Adding two solid D would go a long way to helping this team. We would miss Kappy though. I feel like LA would part with Muzzin for picks if we added him to the trade and could keep Kappy, assuming (and this is a huge assumption) that Marleau hangs them up after this season and we can move his hit.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
I wonder what Simmonds would command in a trade. If I can trade Brown in that trade I would definitely try. Simmonds provides more physicality that this team lacks.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Effort? Like when he chased down the Bruin defender last night and drew a penalty which lead to Marner's goal?

It's a bit baffling some are bitter or resentful from the contract situation. It'll be interesting to see if Kapanen takes the same approach and asks for fairly big number (that becomes public) or holds out.
Brown's game has flaws, but effort isn't one of them imo.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I wonder what Simmonds would command in a trade. If I can trade Brown in that trade I would definitely try. Simmonds provides more physicality that this team lacks.
rather try and get Miles Wood from the Devils if available, whoever brought his name up here is onto something.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I would be happy with those trades you suggested. Clifford is absolutely terrible though and has another year at $1.6m. With Moore re-signing today, we wouldn't have a place for him.

Otherwise, I like the assets. Adding two solid D would go a long way to helping this team. We would miss Kappy though. I feel like LA would part with Muzzin for picks if we added him to the trade and could keep Kappy, assuming (and this is a huge assumption) that Marleau hangs them up after this season and we can move his hit.

La gets 2 good players, we get 1.

They get a bad contract and we get a bad contract. Clifford only has the 1 year left so we just have to suck it up. Idea is to move salary out (we go down 1m in cap hits with that deal)

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Paying a guy solely off effort is one of the worst things you can do. Bring up any AHL'er that's been toiling away in the minors waiting for an opportunity (Moore) and they'll give you effort.

It's like the Hyman thing, Kapanen can do everything Hyman can do and better, he's also got offensive tools as well. Guys playing hard is great, but don't act like it's some uncoachable skill that only a select few have.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Miles Wood is way overpaid. We can't afford a bad contract and he would be one.
completely disagree, 2.5/yr with a extra mil on the last year of the deal is more than exceptable. Ferland's looking for Wilson type money, so if you want some grit that can actually play the game it's going to cost you.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Paying a guy solely off effort is one of the worst things you can do. Bring up any AHL'er that's been toiling away in the minors waiting for an opportunity (Moore) and they'll give you effort.

It's like the Hyman thing, Kapanen can do everything Hyman can do and better, he's also got offensive tools as well. Guys playing hard is great, but don't act like it's some uncoachable skill that only a select few have.
all the talent in the world is wasted if the effort isn't there, ie: Igor Korolev.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
completely disagree, 2.5/yr with a extra mil on the last year of the deal is more than exceptable. Ferland's looking for Wilson type money, so if you want some grit that can actually play the game it's going to cost you.
Wood had a good year last year, but he's not very good outside of his aggression. His hockey IQ is very low, he takes bad penalties and has little in the way of offensive ability. Devils fans aren't overly happy with him. We're best to steer clear.

Let's look at Marchment if we need to fill a role like that. He's far cheaper and plays a similar game.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Wood had a good year last year, but he's not very good outside of his aggression. His hockey IQ is very low, he takes bad penalties and has little in the way of offensive ability. Devils fans aren't overly happy with him. We're best to steer clear.

Let's look at Marchment if we need to fill a role like that. He's far cheaper and plays a similar game.
I like Marchment's potential, however the discussion was help for this year, not sure brining him up for a playoff run will help, it's hard enough to crack the line up without the pressure/intensity of the playoffs. He's a rookie and is going to make mistakes, Babcock's patience with mistakes would likely mean he'd be sitting, either the in the press box or the bench, better to see if he's ready nest fall imo.

cgc83

30-HELENS-AGREE
Jul 8, 2018
NEW YORK RANGERS

RD Kevin Shattenkirk w/ 500,000 retained
RD Adam Mcquaid

TORONTO

RD Nikita Zaitsev
RW Connor Brown
2nd Pick in 2019

Contract wise for leafs next season its about a wash . Mcquid is just for the playoffs . Shattenkirk can replace the offensive numbers we lose in Gardiners loss at year end .
Before you say you would rather just re-sign Gardiner than pay Shattenkirk keep in mind this deal involves the ability to "get rid" of Zaitsev and that contract.
Re-signing Moore makes Connor Brown expandable

Shattenkirk hasnt looked great with the NYR and probably wont waive anyway . IDK , how off based am i on this deal

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I like Marchment's potential, however the discussion was help for this year, not sure brining him up for a playoff run will help, it's hard enough to crack the line up without the pressure/intensity of the playoffs. He's a rookie and is going to make mistakes, Babcock's patience with mistakes would likely mean he'd be sitting, either the in the press box or the bench, better to see if he's ready nest fall imo.
Wood would be an investment in the next two seasons as well. He's locked up and that cap hit is worse than Brown's.

If we're acquiring a forward this year they either need to be a rental or signed today very cap friendly deal. Simmonds may be an option if that's the case.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Bring him up now then...why wait? Grundstrom too...lets see it!

Garlando

May 5, 2014
Kingston, Ontario
I saw it mentioned this past week and it seemingly got lost in the shuffle but what about targeting a cheap RHD like Roland McKeown who is 22 and pretty well NHL ready on an ELC? He's a RHD with a good but not elite pedigree (former #2 overall OHL draft pick behind Connor McDavid and #50 overall pick in the 2014 NHL draft) that has 19 points in 40 games in the AHL this year while being a +17 this year which is tied for 6th in the league and is+10 better than any other D-man on the Checkers roster. I know plus/Minus is flimsy at best, but McKeown was +34 last year which was 3rd in the league and +11 better than anyone else on the Checkers roster. The fact that there is now 2 years of him outperforming his teammates in plus/minus by large margins would seem to indicate good things I would think. McKeown made his NHL debut last year on November 4 replacing the concussed Brett Pesce in a game against the Coyotes and fit in nearly seamlessly from what I've read. McKeown finished with just three points in 10 games, but looked every bit of a poised NHL performer in his first taste of action at the highest level.

He's known as a strong skater that can do a bit of everything including puck movement, physical play and point production. He doesn't really have any glaring weaknesses in his game. His best assets are also his biggest flaws, since he does not have any one quality that truly stands out. Also, he's not the biggest guy at 6 foot 1, 195 lbs but that's not really too much of an issue. It's sort of like a Travis Dermott profile. I think McKeown's skillset fits what the Leafs are looking for on D, a strong skater with above-average hockey sense that moves the puck well and is a capable defender thanks to very good positional play as well. With the Hurricanes depth on D, particularly on the right side, and need for more scoring, I think there is a potential fit here and it won't cost the Leafs an arm and a leg. Thoughts?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Wood would be an investment in the next two seasons as well. He's locked up and that cap hit is worse than Brown's.

If we're acquiring a forward this year they either need to be a rental or signed today very cap friendly deal. Simmonds may be an option if that's the case.
still rather have a controlable Wood than a UFA Simmons. Leaf could alway move him if his salary doesn't fit into next years budget, but for a little more than Brown makes I'd likely try to find a way to keep him.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I saw it mentioned this past week and it seemingly got lost in the shuffle but what about targeting a cheap RHD like Roland McKeown who is 22 and pretty well NHL ready on an ELC? He's a RHD with a good but not elite pedigree (former #2 overall OHL draft pick behind Connor McDavid and #50 overall pick in the 2014 NHL draft) that has 19 points in 40 games in the AHL this year while being a +17 this year which is tied for 6th in the league and is+10 better than any other D-man on the Checkers roster. I know plus/Minus is flimsy at best, but McKeown was +34 last year which was 3rd in the league and +11 better than anyone else on the Checkers roster. The fact that there is now 2 years of him outperforming his teammates in plus/minus by large margins would seem to indicate good things I would think. McKeown made his NHL debut last year on November 4 replacing the concussed Brett Pesce in a game against the Coyotes and fit in nearly seamlessly from what I've read. McKeown finished with just three points in 10 games, but looked every bit of a poised NHL performer in his first taste of action at the highest level.

He's known as a strong skater that can do a bit of everything including puck movement, physical play and point production. He doesn't really have any glaring weaknesses in his game. His best assets are also his biggest flaws, since he does not have any one quality that truly stands out. Also, he's not the biggest guy at 6 foot 1, 195 lbs but that's not really too much of an issue. It's sort of like a Travis Dermott profile. I think McKeown's skillset fits what the Leafs are looking for on D, a strong skater with above-average hockey sense that moves the puck well and is a capable defender thanks to very good positional play as well. With the Hurricanes depth on D, particularly on the right side, and need for more scoring, I think there is a potential fit here and it won't cost the Leafs an arm and a leg. Thoughts?
I've been a big fan of McKeown from his GTHL days. He hasn't progressed as well as I thought he would have but he's still pretty solid.

I'd be interested in hearing what the price would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad