Trade and Free Agent Discussion Thread - 2018/2019 Season v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
it's a thought, who do you sit in their place?
Well,not that they are deserving of being 'sat',but if it's sandpaper you want then Gauthier ,Lindholm,Brown,Marleau can all have a re-evaluation rest,for a few games. Babs is stubborn to a fault though,so,I doubt it happens unless emergency calls are needed.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Everyone pissing and moaning about Marleau and zaitsev being bad contracts if nylander doesn’t pick it up he is right there with them as a bad contract.

If you take out the fact that he has a very tradeable contract to budget teams after this year, Nylander already had the most overpaid contract before he stepped foot on the ice. Add in the early struggles and he is not doing himself any favours if he wants to stick around long term.

Reactions: rumman

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
People should try to remember how Marleau played in the playoffs last season.

He's 40 years old. To expect him to go full throttle every night is dumb. He's saving himself and he's still on pace for 40 points.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If you take out the fact that he has a very tradeable contract to budget teams after this year, Nylander already had the most overpaid contract before he stepped foot on the ice. Add in the early struggles and he is not doing himself any favours if he wants to stick around long term.

WTF did I just read?

Zaitsev is a better skating Polak without the physicality getting 4.5M with a contract length of forever and Marleau is at best a 3rd line forward in a steep decline with a 6.25M cap hit next season and a full NMC and Nylander's contract is the most overpaid?

It's official, this place is bat**** crazy

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I really think Marleau will be this summer Orpik. Leafs will trade him to some team, then that team will buy him out and Leafs will sign him to a PTO in late August which turns into a 975k-1yr contract.
The more I watch the Leafs, the more I think Brown will be traded for draft picks on draft day in order to clear some salaries for next season.
Zai and Jake are interesting bc Jake been a Leafs for a long time and seem to be a fav among the team. Zai is someone who Leafs signed from KHL, by trading him if might send the wrong signals to other potential KHL players.
Having said that, Jake and Zai can’t play together and one must go before the TDL.

Reactions: FishManSam

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I really think Marleau will be this summer Orpik. Leafs will trade him to some team, then that team will buy him out and Leafs will sign him to a PTO in late August which turns into a 975k-1yr contract.
it's the best case scenario, but I doubt it. NHL will want to close up that loop hole imo.

Reactions: ktownhockey

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
exactly why I didn't consider bring up Marchment.
Not sure he is the answer,but I think trying guys out now or soon is better than finding out later. same with Dmen...is Rosen or Holl really worse than Zaitsev at this point?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
it's the best case scenario, but I doubt it. NHL will want to close up that loop hole imo.
Why though? If anything, NHL wants more of that bc it means players are getting more money. It is on owners to stop but I don’t think owners want to stop that bc it helps them out of jam.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
Would hope for Kapanen or Lilijegren/Sandin+1st.
Nuts! Nuts! Nuts! Three European kids?Three skilled players? What's next, trading the future Rask, Sparks?
Skill is what we need for now and long term vision- We use skill to kill, that toughness bubble burst!
Salary cap era with no veteran exception, and no NBA sophistication, sort of like Groucho Marx
Keep the kids, Keep the Euros, Keep the Yankees! Trade Brown, Hainsey, Dermott and Hutchinson if for victory you thirst!

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Not sure he is the answer,but I think trying guys out now or soon is better than finding out later. same with Dmen...is Rosen or Holl really worse than Zaitsev at this point?
Holl, yes, much worse. Rosen is a way worse Gardiner. I'd like to see guys like marchment, moore, and grundstrom get looks soon

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Holl, yes, much worse. Rosen is a way worse Gardiner. I'd like to see guys like marchment, moore, and grundstrom get looks soon

Rosen is nothing like Gardiner. You can actually rely upon him to do crap defensively, including PK.

Holl shouldn't be in the NHL right now.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Hard to judge Holl when he plays once every two months. Would like to see Hainsey moved out and at least play him until the deadline. Rosen/Holl/Oz could be a cheap bottom pair/three for us next year.

Would really need a Nashville style top 4 though to get away with it.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Hard to judge Holl when he plays once every two months. Would like to see Hainsey moved out and at least play him until the deadline. Rosen/Holl/Oz could be a cheap bottom pair/three for us next year.

Would really need a Nashville style top 4 though to get away with it.

Holl was not even good enough on the Marlies to earn the few games he is getting right now. He should not even be a depth guy. He's 100% an AHL veteran who is in the same tier as LoVerde at this point.

If Dubas did not make that promise to Leivo, and Ennis was not hurt, he would have been waived by now.

You would not move out Hainsey to get Rosen an opportunity. You would move out Gardiner.

Reactions: smitty10

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Weren't those three a line during the Marlies playoffs,or did I just see a happenstance moment? At any rate ,they looked good,It's only Ahl but still ,after seeing Moore show some no quit shifts on the big club,I'. thinking he gets a serious look again.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018

I really hope so. Leafs need all the cap space they can get next season and Marleau’s contract is an anchor to the say the least.

That 6.25m is a decent chunk we could put towards upgrading the blue line.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Holl was not even good enough on the Marlies to earn the few games he is getting right now. He should not even be a depth guy. He's 100% an AHL veteran who is in the same tier as LoVerde at this point.

If Dubas did not make that promise to Leivo, and Ennis was not hurt, he would have been waived by now.

You would not move out Hainsey to get Rosen an opportunity. You would move out Gardiner.

Move Gardiner so we can play Rosen?

Holy ****, what have you been into today? Unless were giving up this season that makes literally zero sense

I like Rosen but Gardiner is a genuine #3D and anybody thinking that moving him for Rosen will make us better is way out there

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
We’re gearing up for a playoff run. Why anyone thinks Dubas will remove d-men off the roster when it’s an area we’re already thin at is just mind boggling to read.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Goat is doing a great job! No interest.
Ok, but if Goat or Lindholm goes down, we are all of the sudden looking at like Adam Brooks unless were pulling someone from the wings.

Berglund, if he is ok with a 4th line roll, could easily do what Goats doing with setter skating and hitting.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Move Gardiner so we can play Rosen?

Holy ****, what have you been into today? Unless were giving up this season that makes literally zero sense

I like Rosen but Gardiner is a genuine #3D and anybody thinking that moving him for Rosen will make us better is way out there

If you get a Gardiner upgrade in the process, then why not? The upgrade takes Hainsey's spot beside Rielly, Dermott steps up beside Zaitsev, Hainsey can move down to the bottom pairing Ozhiganov until next year and then have Rosen take over from there. If the new guy can handle a Zaitsev type role and Dermott can handle Gardiner's cushy minutes, the defense likely gets better. For this playoff run, you can even still have Hainsey on the bottom pairing... Which gives us a pretty deep defense with far less liabilities on it.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Beyond Headlines: Trade deadline shaping up as buyer's market - Sportsnet.ca
Six weeks out from the trade deadline, we can already identify more than a half dozen teams with assets to sell.

St. Louis, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Detroit, Ottawa, Carolina, New York Rangers.

There will be others, too, but consider the unrestricted free agents on these rosters alone: Patrick Maroon, Jay Bouwmeester, Carl Hagelin, Gustav Nyquist, Nick Jensen, Niklas Kronwall, Jimmy Howard, Wayne Simmonds, Mark Stone, Matt Duchene, Ryan Dzingel, Micheal Ferland, Jordan Martinook, Petr Mrazek, Curtis McElhinney, Kevin Hayes and Mats Zuccarello.

Then you add in the players with term who may be available from that group of teams: Brayden Schenn, Alex Pietrangelo, Colton Parayko, Jake Muzzin, Tyler Toffoli, Alec Martinez, Radko Gudas, Dougie Hamilton and Chris Kreider, to name a few.

No wonder there are sellers who fear a flooded marketplace at the Feb. 25 trade deadline, as my colleague Elliotte Friedman reported on “Headlines.”

It certainly seems to be shaping up as a buyer’s market. The prices will likely reflect that once the dealing starts.

Given the number of quality players that can be had, it should be a busy trade season.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If you get a Gardiner upgrade in the process, then why not? The upgrade takes Hainsey's spot beside Rielly, Dermott steps up beside Zaitsev, Hainsey can move down to the bottom pairing Ozhiganov until next year and then have Rosen take over from there. If the new guy can handle a Zaitsev type role and Dermott can handle Gardiner's cushy minutes, the defense likely gets better. For this playoff run, you can even still have Hainsey on the bottom pairing... Which gives us a pretty deep defense with far less liabilities on it.

Have you watched our defensive core? We need to add, not add and deduct at the same time achieving nothing

Gardiner's our 2nd best defenseman, if your planning on dumping people wrap your mind around getting rid of a real problem, namely Zaitsev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad