Trade and Free Agent Discussion Thread - 2018/2019 Season v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Have you watched our defensive core? We need to add, not add and deduct at the same time achieving nothing

Gardiner's our 2nd best defenseman, if your planning on dumping people wrap your mind around getting rid of a real problem, namely Zaitsev

Gardiner is a real problem. Having him as our #2 is not good... Now a lot of people want to take the route of getting a #2 and pushing down Gardiner to the #3, but I think that is far too expensive, especially with Gardiner still being a liability as a #3, and him leaving after this year. I would rather use Gardiner to upgrade the #2 directly and keeping the pecking order the same otherwise (Zaitsev #3, Dermott/Hainsey as 4 and 5, Ozhiganov #6) because our defense should be good enough after that (with Andersen in net and with our forwards).

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Gardiner is a real problem. Having him as our #2 is not good... Now a lot of people want to take the route of getting a #2 and pushing down Gardiner to the #3, but I think that is far too expensive, especially with Gardiner still being a liability as a #3, and him leaving after this year. I would rather use Gardiner to upgrade the #2 directly and keeping the pecking order the same otherwise (Zaitsev #3, Dermott/Hainsey as 4 and 5, Ozhiganov #6) because our defense should be good enough after that (with Andersen in net and with our forwards).

Gardiner is the problem?

Gardiner does some stupid **** at times but anybody watching this team and seeing him as the problem with the defensive unit need to get an eye check

Look at our top 4 RD, that's where our problem lies and I seriously seriously doubt your going to trade Gardiner at this TDL and get somebody better

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Hold on a second, we should move out Gardiner when the actual issue is his partner?
Defensive core will certainly get better with a move like that.......

For the other team to take even more advantage of.

Reactions: 43Kadri43

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Gardiner is the problem?

Gardiner does some stupid **** at times but anybody watching this team and seeing him as the problem with the defensive unit need to get an eye check

Look at our top 4 RD, that's where our problem lies and I seriously seriously doubt your going to trade Gardiner at this TDL and get somebody better
I believe Gardiner mentioned, when Dubas was hired, it was the first time a long term contract was a possibility.
He annoys me at times, but we are a much better team with Gardiner on the ice.
People are going to be really upset around here if he is signed to even a reasonable contract. What Dubas shuld do is get rid of the Zaitsev deal, and get a better d man to help out Rielly or Gardiner.

Reactions: FishManSam and Kiwi

43Kadri43

Jun 15, 2017

Gardiner is not a problem as a number 2. If he’s your second best defenseman you’re doing just fine. In the event that Gardiner is traded (in a package) for a better #2 (actually better, not someone who you believe is better), Dermott remains the Leafs third best defenseman. Ozhiganov, Zaitsev and Hainsey fight for the right to be considered 4th, 5th or 6th.

Reactions: stickty111

member 147413

Dermott + Zaitsev + Timashov +1st for Pietrangelo

Brown + Hainsey for Gudas

Ozhiganov + 3rd for Jensen

Rielly - Pietrangelo
Gardiner - Gudas
Rosen - Jensen

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Dermott + Zaitsev + Timashov +1st for Pietrangelo

Brown + Hainsey for Gudas

Ozhiganov + 3rd for Jensen

Rielly - Pietrangelo
Gardiner - Gudas
Rosen - Jensen
Would do the Jensen one, Philly doesn't touch that, and would do the St.Louis one but would hate to give up Dermott.

You really need Sandin and Liljegren to be pushing for jobs next year if you do that.

Reactions: FishManSam

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
I see deals that would address both issues:

Carolina - Pesce, Ferland
Philly - Gudas, Simmonds
Minnesota - Spurgeon, Foligno
Arizona - Hjalmarsson, Crouse

We would likely have to give up:
1st rounder
2 prospects (one of Bracco, Grundstrom, Timashov; one of Borgman, Rosen, Holl)
Roster player (Johnsson, Brown, Zaitsev)
Like your suggestions but that’s a lot to give up if some of the guys coming back are rentals like Simmonds or Ferland.

member 147413

Would do the Jensen one, Philly doesn't touch that, and would do the St.Louis one but would hate to give up Dermott.

You really need Sandin and Liljegren to be pushing for jobs next year if you do that.
I’m sure Philly would prefer a pick instead of Hainsey, maybe we scrap that trade and play Hainsey with Gards (who have performed well together in the past)

Mostly me playing armchair GM as there is too many moving pieces at this point of the season for it to be realistic.

Would be moving Brownie for a 2nd or so as well.

I’d move Zaitsev with the hope of Gards taking a team friendly deal at 5x5 or so.

I hate to lose Dermott as well, but Pietrangelo changes our team drastically and I’m hopeful that both Sandin and Liljegren will be regulars after next season.

Additionally, if cap becomes tight due to the acquisitions, I’d move Nylander for Manson+2nd in the offseason to really solidify our dcore.

Going into the following season we could be playing...

Johnsson - Matthews - Kapanen
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Bracco
Grundstrom - Gauthier - Moore

Rielly - Pietrangelo
Gardiner - Manson
Rosen - Liljegren

A lot of what-ifs on that roster, but our Top 4 goes from Bottom 10 (imo) to probably best in the league.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Weren't those three a line during the Marlies playoffs,or did I just see a happenstance moment? At any rate ,they looked good,It's only Ahl but still ,after seeing Moore show some no quit shifts on the big club,I'. thinking he gets a serious look again.
2 of the 3 I think were always running on a line to the best of my recollection, with both engvall and greening spendi g time there. Even those two I wouldn't be opposed to adding sandpaper (while not being completely inept in the o-zone) to the big club.

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
Will be interesting to see who comes available.
And whether Gardiner is part of the plans moving forward..

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Gimme Pietro for Liljegren + 1st + whatever.

Stl seems like they're serious about shuffling their roster, Dubas doesn't want to pay up for just a rental, it's blatantly obvious that our RHD are going to sink this team, I can see it happening.

Reactions: LeafGrief

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Gardiner is a supposed problem, but not Zaitsev the guy on pace for 6 points and consistently makes poor decisions all over the ice. But yeah, Gardiner is the one we have a problem with.

I will never understand some of you... It blows my mind.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Gimme Pietro for Liljegren + 1st + whatever.

Stl seems like they're serious about shuffling their roster, Dubas doesn't want to pay up for just a rental, it's blatantly obvious that our RHD are going to sink this team, I can see it happening.

If we get Pietrangelo we'd be unreal. If there's a perfect hockey player to insert into our lineup, it's him. Plus, his contract is reasonable this year and next and we can extend him next summer after the big crunch. Two #1C's and two #1D's? YES PLEASE.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Mirtle: Can the Maple Leafs afford to subtract from their...

Good article from Mirtle. The Leafs trade chips will be prospects and picks but you have to be careful trading those kind of assets with a bit of a tough cap crunch incoming. Sandin is near untouchable, but Liljegren, Bracco and Grundstrom with good trading value (Liljegren obviously with a ton of value). Johnsson and Kapanen are unlikely to be traded for obvious reasons.

Zaitsev and Brown are the 2 most likely to be traded for cap relief but more likely in the off-season obviously.

This is not going to be easy for Dubas and the gang. Lot's of tough decisions incoming. I really wish we could take advantage of a Chiarelli in the next couple weeks and sell them a prime Nikita Zaitsev at a high value.

Last edited:

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Leafs would be foolish to rid themselves of either Dermott or Zaitsev let alone both to better their D come trade deadline.

Leafs need some patch work where lower tiered dmen will assist them in areas that they need help in. Acquiring a player like Gudas for example instantly makes our D better and this can be had without losing a Dermott or Zaitsev. Maybe packaging Zaitsev in another deal if you get Gudas separately. But only if it means getting another Dman.

But Dermott should be a non-starter in any discussions. He is your Gardiner replacement. And will be a better one at that.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Mirtle: Can the Maple Leafs afford to subtract from their...

Good article from Mirtle. The Leafs trade chips will be prospects and picks but you have to be careful trading those kind of assets with a bit of a tough cap crunch incoming. Sandin is near untouchable, but Liljegren, Bracco and Grundstrom with good trading value (Liljegren obviously with a ton of value). Johnsson and Kapanen are unlikely to be traded for obvious reasons.

Zaitsev and Brown are the 2 most likely to be traded for cap relief but more likely in the off-season obviously.

This is not going to be easy for Dubas and the gang. Lot's of tough decisions incoming. I really wish we could take advantage of a Chiarelli in the next couple weeks and sell them a prime Nikita Zaitsev at a high value.
Maybe Lou still likes Zaitsev :naughty:

Reactions: SprDaVE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad