Trade and Free Agent Discussion Thread - 2018/2019 Season v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
it's debatable whether Nylander's contract was excessive or not, that points been beaten to death, but it does create a cap issue, doubt AM/MM are taking discounts now, let alone Gards or Kappy.

Kapanen, even with a good season, doesnt have much of an argument. 1 year of production alongside Matthews isnt enough to demand more than a low value bridge. It works out well for Toronto, they can see what they have with him and decide after bridging the cap squeeze to keep him long term or flip him for assets.

Gards isnt a core player, he takes the deal they offer or walks. Its his choice if he wants to be around or not.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Kapanen, even with a good season, doesnt have much of an argument. 1 year of production alongside Matthews isnt enough to demand more than a low value bridge. It works out well for Toronto, they can see what they have with him and decide after bridging the cap squeeze to keep him long term or flip him for assets.

Gards isnt a core player, he takes the deal they offer or walks. Its his choice if he wants to be around or not.
other than Rielly, who else is a core player on the D if not Jake?

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Berglund (50% retained - 3yr @ 1.925m) for Brown

Another great buy low candidate is Patrck Berglund. If they can retain 50%
and the leafs weren't one of those 20 teams on his NTC list, Dubas should investigate. At this point I'm sure the sabres would do anything to get rid of him.

berglund.png

Berglund Matthews Nylander
Marleau Tavares Marner
Johnsson Kadri Kapanen
Lindholm Goat Hyman

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

and the leafs weren't one of those 20 teams on his NTC list, Dubas should investigate. At this point I'm sure the sabres would do anything to get rid of him.

View attachment 166437

Marleau Tavares Marner
Johnsson Kadri Kapanen
Lindholm Goat Hyman

Im pretty sure a player suspended indefinitely for a material breach of contract doesnt count against the cap? Similar to Richards for his drug addiction. I dont think Buffalo is sweating that contract.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
What are some packages we could realistically acquire to include a PWF and RHD coming back in the same deal?

From PHI: Simmonds and Gudas
From CBJ: Anderson and Savard
From NYR: Kreider and Pionk
From CAR: Ferland and Pesce/Faulk

I'd imagine each of these would require a 1st+, but is a move that could put us over the top
Ferland and Pesce would be a dream scenario. I've been critical of Pesce being involved in any Nylander deal, but if Kadri + is going the other way, that is something I would entertain.

Pesce and Kadri are paid similarly with term (bargains), play the highest value positions, and answer each team's areas of need (scoring forward/centre and RD).

Reactions: Leaffan1991

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

View attachment 166437

Marleau Tavares Marner
Johnsson Kadri Kapanen
Lindholm Goat Hyman
Why would they want a player that a team is desperate to get rid of?

Reactions: VanW27 and RLF

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Looking back, seems like every season a top 4 D gets traded for nothing at all... Why cant Toronto ever be on the receiving end of one of those deals. Karlsson, McDonagh, Scandella.
If Minnesota keeps falling out of the Playoff picture, I'd love to target Spurgeon. He'd be perfect to bring in now while also serving as Gardiner's replacement moving forward.

This year:
Rielly - Spurgeon
Gardiner - Zaitsev/Hainsey
Dermott - Hainset/Zaitsev

Next year:
Rielly - Spurgeon
Dermott - Zaitsev
Rosen - Liljegren

Reactions: SprDaVE and 4thline

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Why would they want a player that a team is desperate to get rid of?
And why would we then put that player on the top line? He hasn't scored over 34pts in 7 seasons. The shine from the promise he showed during his first couple seasons is long worn off by now.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Im pretty sure a player suspended indefinitely for a material breach of contract doesnt count against the cap? Similar to Richards for his drug addiction. I dont think Buffalo is sweating that contract.
Not the contract, just the headache and getting zero value by not having him play.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
And why would we then put that player on the top line? He hasn't scored over 34pts in 7 seasons. The shine from the promise he showed during his first couple seasons is long worn off by now.
:laugh: I didn't notice the lines,

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I wish it were that easy.
Our right side could use that beef.... We can't seriously expect teams to respect us with Hainsey Zeitsev and Oz clearing the net.

Doubt we can overhaul our right side that much; but hopefully something to give us a bit of snarl

Agreed.
Any 2 of those 3 moves would be massive (especially getting out from under Zaitsevs contract)

Petro would be amazing since it's a long term fix for our finest problem. If we can do it this year we can take on Bouwmester since cap isn't a problem and hopefully lower the acquisition cost.
I think people take for granted that most teams dont have unlimited resources. If you can save a team 3 million cash by taking on a guy who shouldn't be in the NHL, it has real consequences.

St. Louis made $10 million in operating income last year according to Forbes, with a team that was winning more than they are now, so $3 million is a decent chunk of change. Their owner put up a small % of the team for sale this year to add a cash infusion, so it doesn't sound like he is dropping tons.

If you can flip Brown +Ahler for Pysyk and bring up Marchment/Moore to play Browns role, I think this team looks a ton better pretty quick. Pysyk looked solid against us this weekend, and showed a bit of snarl.

Reilly Petro
Gardiner Pysyk
Dermott Ozi
Hainsey
Looks instantly like we go from below average to well above average on the back end.

Reactions: TMLFC

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Agreed.
Any 2 of those 3 moves would be massive (especially getting out from under Zaitsevs contract)

Petro would be amazing since it's a long term fix for our finest problem. If we can do it this year we can take on Bouwmester since cap isn't a problem and hopefully lower the acquisition cost.
I think people take for granted that most teams dont have unlimited resources. If you can save a team 3 million cash by taking on a guy who shouldn't be in the NHL, it has real consequences.

St. Louis made $10 million in operating income last year according to Forbes, with a team that was winning more than they are now, so $3 million is a decent chunk of change. Their owner put up a small % of the team for sale this year to add a cash infusion, so it doesn't sound like he is dropping tons.

If you can flip Brown +Ahler for Pysyk and bring up Marchment/Moore to play Browns role, I think this team looks a ton better pretty quick. Pysyk looked solid against us this weekend, and showed a bit of snarl.

Reilly Petro
Gardiner Pysyk
Dermott Ozi
Hainsey
Looks instantly like we go from below average to well above average on the back end.
Agree
I hope Dubas is able to pull the trigger.
We have expandable pieces that could entice and it's a good time to buy.

Reactions: TML1967

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
it's debatable whether Nylander's contract was excessive or not, that points been beaten to death, but it does create a cap issue, doubt AM/MM are taking discounts now, let alone Gards or Kappy.

I suspect they made up their mind on Gardiner long before they finalized the Nylander signing. He either agrees to a team friendly deal or he walks.

Kapanen will get forced into a short term bridge. The Leafs just have to get through the 2019/20 hurdle and then have a lot more flexibility

Reactions: SprDaVE and Kurtz

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I suspect they made up their mind on Gardiner long before they finalized the Nylander signing. He either agrees to a team friendly deal or he walks.

Kapanen will get forced into a short term bridge. The Leafs just have to get through the 2019/20 hurdle and then have a lot more flexibility

And really Kap is going to have one good year to go on. A prove it wasn't a fluke bridge
Move Brown and Zaitsev

Reactions: Menzinger

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

View attachment 166437

Marleau Tavares Marner
Johnsson Kadri Kapanen
Lindholm Goat Hyman

Uh no. Id rather have Brown by quite a large margin.

Reactions: Menzinger

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Uh no. Id rather have Brown by quite a large margin.
Berglund shouldn't be in the top 6, but he adds some grit and size for the playoffs. He could be interesting in Kadris wing, but likely would replace Brown on the 4th line.
BUT Leafs only save 300k, and add an extra year. Not sure this team can afford a 4th liner making almost 2 million when a guy like Moore or Marchment can likely be similar for half the cost.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Gardiner for spurgeon
Zaitsev for tanev+gagner
Gagner to 4th line or marlies

The ideal then for me would be in summer use one of these to pick up trouba

Game set match

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events