Trade and Free Agent Discussion Thread - 2018/2019 Season v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Berglund (50% retained - 3yr @ 1.925m) for Brown

Another great buy low candidate is Patrck Berglund. If they can retain 50%
and the leafs weren't one of those 20 teams on his NTC list, Dubas should investigate. At this point I'm sure the sabres would do anything to get rid of him.

View attachment 166437

Berglund Matthews Nylander
Marleau Tavares Marner
Johnsson Kadri Kapanen
Lindholm Goat Hyman

I think Berglund is #3 center type and thats it. Better on the dot than Kadri, decent playmaker, but not as good a finisher. I am not sure he offers any upgrade at all over Marleau as a LW. Marleau is a better shooter, and better on faceoffs. I would maybe grab him if Kadri breaks a leg but Berglund plays a softer game and this club is already pantie soft. The Leafs are a deep forward lineup and players they pursue should fill a weakness. I would gladly move Naz for a young Martin Handzal but there isn't one to be had. They need to trade some dangle for some grit, not trade away the little grit they have. Hyman isn't in your projected lineup but definitely appears a more likely player than Berglund to get to 40pts, and again plays a grittier game.

In summary - time machine to get young Hanzal/Simmonds/Dustin Brown. Kadri to nowhere if you can't find a bigger guy who is just as physical and better on the draw, Hyman is costing $2.25M and is on his way to another 40pt season so he isn't being moved. This club needs a top 4 RD with some physicality and defensive awareness and not much else. A skilled winger who can bang a bit perhaps. I doubt Philly is giving you Simmonds for AJ but that is the kind of forward move I would make.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
highly optimistic for next year imo.

I am not expecting either of Sandin or Lilly next season. They are both competent but are not crushing the AHL. Willie, Brownie, Kapy, and Dermott were all AHL stars before moving up. What is the panic to move kids into low minute roles in the NHL? Especially with an X draft coming. I doubt the club succeeds or not this playoff based on their 3rd pairing D.

Reactions: rumman

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I am not expecting either of Sandin or Lilly next season. They are both competent but are not crushing the AHL. Willie, Brownie, Kapy, and Dermott were all AHL stars before moving up. What is the panic to move kids into low minute roles in the NHL? Especially with an X draft coming. I doubt the club succeeds or not this playoff based on their 3rd pairing D.
I agree with you that I don’t see a point in rushing the two Swedes up, but as long as they don’t play in the nhl this season they’ll both be exempt from the expansion draft luckily.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I agree with you that I don’t see a point in rushing the two Swedes up, but as long as they don’t play in the nhl this season they’ll both be exempt from the expansion draft luckily.

Moving them to the NHL, or not, doesn't change their expansion draft situation. They are exempt, if they are first or second year professional, or unsigned. Liljegren is in his second professional year with our organization, Sandin is in his first professional year in our organization. The AHL is a pro league.... at least according to the rules of the previous draft.

For the purposes of the expansion draft, it was simply playing professional games under an NHL contract (so NHLers or guys loaned to the AHL or other pro league from an NHL team). Note that 12.1(c) defines age as 'the player's age on September 15 of the calendar year in which he signs his SPC'. This isn't about how old the player actually is, it is about how old he was when signing his ELC.

For example, William Carrier was exposed by Buffalo and selected by Vegas even though he had only accrued 2 years of professional experience based on the guidelines from CBA Article 12.1(a) (2015/16 in the AHL as a 20 year old and 2016/17 in the NHL). However, he also played in the AHL in 2014/15 as a 19 year old, so he had the necessary 3 years of pro experience in order to be eligible for the expansion draft. For the purposes of 12.1(1), he was 19 at the time he signed his ELC and played his first AHL year. His first AHL season didn't accrue a season of pro experience for the purposes of arbitration eligibility, but it did count for the expansion draft.

Any player who played in the AHL this year (and continues playing pro hockey for the next 2 years) will be eligible to be selected at a 2020/21 expansion draft. Any of our players who get their first pro experience next year will not have to be protected.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Moving them to the NHL, or not, doesn't change their expansion draft situation. They are exempt, if they are first or second year professional, or unsigned. Liljegren is in his second professional year with our organization, Sandin is in his first professional year in our organization. The AHL is a pro league.... at least according to the rules of the previous draft.

For the purposes of the expansion draft, it was simply playing professional games under an NHL contract (so NHLers or guys loaned to the AHL or other pro league from an NHL team). Note that 12.1(c) defines age as 'the player's age on September 15 of the calendar year in which he signs his SPC'. This isn't about how old the player actually is, it is about how old he was when signing his ELC.

For example, William Carrier was exposed by Buffalo and selected by Vegas even though he had only accrued 2 years of professional experience based on the guidelines from CBA Article 12.1(a) (2015/16 in the AHL as a 20 year old and 2016/17 in the NHL). However, he also played in the AHL in 2014/15 as a 19 year old, so he had the necessary 3 years of pro experience in order to be eligible for the expansion draft. For the purposes of 12.1(1), he was 19 at the time he signed his ELC and played his first AHL year. His first AHL season didn't accrue a season of pro experience for the purposes of arbitration eligibility, but it did count for the expansion draft.

Any player who played in the AHL this year (and continues playing pro hockey for the next 2 years) will be eligible to be selected at a 2020/21 expansion draft. Any of our players who get their first pro experience next year will not have to be protected.
If they played this season in the nhl the slide rule would not apply and they would be three year pros at the time of the expansion draft.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If they played this season in the nhl the slide rule would not apply and they would be three year pros at the time of the expansion draft.

It isn't where you played... if they play in the AHL, for three pro seasons, they also must either be exposed, or protected.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Leafs - Oilers
Connor Brown for Zach Kassian & 4th

Leafs - Jets
Adam Lowry & Tyler Myers
For
Nazem Kadri & 2nd

Johnsson/Matthews/Nylander
Marleau /Tavares/Marner
Hyman/Lowry/Kapanen
Ennis/Lindholm/Kassian

Rielly/Myers
Gardiner/Zaitsev
Dermott/Hainsey

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Why do people want Tyler Myers?

On the eye, he looks like a tire fire and his advanced stats are some of the worst I have ever seen.

Dude is absolutely one of the worst defensemen in the NHL. On top of that he is injury prone.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Leafs - Oilers
Connor Brown for Zach Kassian & 4th

Leafs - Jets
Adam Lowry & Tyler Myers
For
Nazem Kadri & 2nd

Johnsson/Matthews/Nylander
Marleau /Tavares/Marner
Hyman/Lowry/Kapanen
Ennis/Lindholm/Kassian

Rielly/Myers
Gardiner/Zaitsev
Dermott/Hainsey

These are horrible. You can really muster up some bad ones. I don't know what I dislike more - adding to Brown to get Kassian or trading Kadri for Myers. Probably Kadri for Myers - but still have them both.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
It isn't where you played... if they play in the AHL, for three pro seasons, they also must either be exposed, or protected.
Nope 18 and 19 year olds only accrue professional seasons by playing 10 NHL games

That guy from the Blues board you posted has it wrong, Carrier was exposed because he had 3 years of AHL experience starting when he was 20 (for expansion purposes age was determined as of Dec 31 of the applicable season).

Otherwise we would have had to protect Nylander

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If Minnesota keeps falling out of the Playoff picture, I'd love to target Spurgeon. He'd be perfect to bring in now while also serving as Gardiner's replacement moving forward.

This year:
Rielly - Spurgeon
Gardiner - Zaitsev/Hainsey
Dermott - Hainset/Zaitsev

Next year:
Rielly - Spurgeon
Dermott - Zaitsev
Rosen - Liljegren

I really believe he'd be one of the better targets to go after. Plenty of smoke in Minnesota that he's available for the right price. Fairly underrated, affordable cap hit and fits our needs almost perfectly. The cost to acquire him is really tough to gauge but I assume it wouldn't be anywhere near Pietrangelo and Parayko.

But like you said, it'll depend on their playoff picture by the deadline.

Reactions: IBeL34f

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Why do people want Tyler Myers?

On the eye, he looks like a tire fire and his advanced stats are some of the worst I have ever seen.

Dude is absolutely one of the worst defensemen in the NHL. On top of that he is injury prone.

Because he's big and they like the idea of Myers not knowing he's really not that good.

Reactions: ACC1224

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Looking back, seems like every season a top 4 D gets traded for nothing at all... Why cant Toronto ever be on the receiving end of one of those deals. Karlsson, McDonagh, Scandella.

I think people tend to underrate the pieces acquired in these deals because some of the players & especially prospects acquired don’t have those recognized names that have cache with many fans. Not entirely disagreeing though.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I think people tend to underrate the pieces acquired in these deals because some of the players & especially prospects acquired don’t have those recognized names that have cache with many fans. Not entirely disagreeing though.

That street goes two ways

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
LeBrun: Q&A with Kyle Dubas on the Nylander negotiations,...

Good interview with Dubas by LeBrun. I loved this part because it's so true:

This idea has been thrown out there a lot lately, and to some degree, I get a kick out of it because we rarely see it, but the idea that you guys could fall victim to an offer sheet come July 1. And I guess part of it is the situation you guys will be in cap-wise. But I assume you have a pretty standard response for that?

Listen, offer sheets are completely permissible within the NHL. They’ve been used rarely, especially of late, that said this summer there’s an influx of very highly talented restricted free agents. So I understand that the narrative and the conversation surrounding them is increasing. However, I do find it interesting that there’s roughly a third of the teams in the league which are going to have a very prominent restricted free agent coming due, some teams with more than one, including us, but we’re the only team that’s going to have one of our players receive an offer sheet (smirks). That part I find to be interesting. I think it builds a rather interesting (media) narrative around our talks and negotiations.

It’s been interesting talking to other GMs in the league and they sort of reiterate that, that it’s bizarre it’s only Maple Leafs players that can receive one. And I get it. It’s part of the marketplace and the fact the team is doing well and the players are playing well. I think it’s more a by-product of things going well than it is people just trying to stir up stuff about the team and the process. But we’re well-situated regardless of what happens with the players. Our absolute ambition and goal would be to have a negotiated agreement with the players as soon as we can. They’re going to be key parts of our team, we hope, for their entire careers. They’re key, core parts of our team right now.

About adding rentals or players with term:

Your fan base is excited about this season, the chance to win, and the years beyond as well, which gets me to this question: you have a lot of flexibility at this year’s trade deadline, really to do whatever you want, and yet you also know what lies ahead in the years to come (cap-wise). I suppose the easiest thing would be to go get a rental player, although you kind of hate giving away assets for a guy who won’t be around after this year?

Sure. And I think going back to those contracts (Matthews, Marner), if we have some certainty or some relative certainty about where the contracts for Auston and Mitch are going to come in, and we have more certainty at that time for where the salary cap will be for next season, we may be able to add players that are more than just rentals, that do have some term, whether it’s one, two or however many years left on their contracts. I think all those pieces kind of have to fit together. I don’t really look and see many pure rentals that really change the dynamic of our group. So anything that we’d be looking at would be players that probably have some term. That’s why it’s important for us to continue to work on those agreements with Auston and Mitch so we can have some cost certainty with them, so that we can look to improve our team this season and beyond.

I hate rentals acquisitions so much so I really hope he does stay away from them.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Agreed.
Any 2 of those 3 moves would be massive (especially getting out from under Zaitsevs contract)

Petro would be amazing since it's a long term fix for our finest problem. If we can do it this year we can take on Bouwmester since cap isn't a problem and hopefully lower the acquisition cost.
I think people take for granted that most teams dont have unlimited resources. If you can save a team 3 million cash by taking on a guy who shouldn't be in the NHL, it has real consequences.

St. Louis made $10 million in operating income last year according to Forbes, with a team that was winning more than they are now, so $3 million is a decent chunk of change. Their owner put up a small % of the team for sale this year to add a cash infusion, so it doesn't sound like he is dropping tons.

If you can flip Brown +Ahler for Pysyk and bring up Marchment/Moore to play Browns role, I think this team looks a ton better pretty quick. Pysyk looked solid against us this weekend, and showed a bit of snarl.

Reilly Petro
Gardiner Pysyk
Dermott Ozi
Hainsey
Looks instantly like we go from below average to well above average on the back end.

When is Pietro due back from his recent hand surgery?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I think they are ok if they are for depth purposes but paying a premium for a rental is really not worth it most of the time.

I agree and made the same point in one of the many threads - cost is frequently too high relative to results.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Spurgeon's looking like a really good option, depending on price. Minnesota's currently 9th in the West, but are also one of the oldest teams in the league. If the GM is smart, he'd be looking at selling guys off sooner rather than later.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Spurgeon's looking like a really good option, depending on price. Minnesota's currently 9th in the West, but are also one of the oldest teams in the league. If the GM is smart, he'd be looking at selling guys off sooner rather than later.

No doubt in my mind that Fenton wants to retool that team. Staal is a pending UFA, Spurgeon and Coyle have a year left on their deals and apparently very attainable players. They have very little prospects of note. They really need to make changes there.

I'm not sure what they would want for Spurgeon though. I imagine a 1st round pick and perhaps a good prospect would open up discussions.

I really hope the Leafs get aggressive about these top 2/4 RHDs available. It's a massive priority.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad