I would take Mark Pysyk in a heartbeat.

Rielly - Pysyk
Dermott - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Ozhiganov

If we could trade Zaitsev

Rielly - Pysyk
Dermott - Marincin
Gardiner - Ozhiganov

Marincin should arguably have a shot at an extended spot in our lineup. He was very effective in his few games this year and can play the PK.

Reactions: TML1967

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

Looking at the first part of his tweet, anyone feel that instead of selling the farm (and giving up a vital top 9 piece), we should maybe use our more midling assets and trade for two decent but not stud RHDs? Like 2 Gudas or Pysyk types?

Reducing the minutes of all of Hainsey, Zaitsev and Oz would be really nice, including booting 2 of them which these trades would do.

1. Kapanen, Liljegren and 2 1sts for Parayko
Or
2. Brown, two 2nds, an Engvall type prospect for 2 RHDs.

Option 2 seems more efficient for the short term, doesn't kill us cap wise or asset wise. If it doesn't work, we can re-work it once we get by the cap crunch by a) hopefully Liljegren, Sandin etc pan out and b) a bigger trade or signing once there is a better understanding of our cap situation going forward.

He's 37, he plays 20 minutes with Rielly and gets the most PK time. I guess he would be worn down. I'd be all for adding Pysyk, probably over even some of the bigger names thrown around.

But until they add someone, they may need change up the pairings.

Reactions: Menzinger

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Rielly - Pysyk
Dermott - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Ozhiganov

Rielly - Pysyk
Dermott - Marincin
Gardiner - Ozhiganov

Marincin should arguably have a shot at an extended spot in our lineup. He was very effective in his few games this year and can play the PK.

My Bortuzzo option for next year went down the crapper. Not sure what we could give up for Pysyk though. Something like Brown+3rd would be ideal but think they're fairly deep at forward too.

Maybe Oz would have appeal to them?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Is there any swedish here who could enlighten me/us on

Joel Kellman (C)
Or
Carl Johan Lerby (LD)

I think we should really keep looking for those euro fa's

I'd probably prefer bringing back Aaltonen over Kellman, but Lerby could be a great option for the top 4 on the Marlies next year. He's a great age as well. He'd probably pair quite well with someone like Jesper Lindgren on the 2nd pairing.

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
How is Jay Bouwmeester looking this season?

He's a UFA at season's end. Could be a decent fit for cheap.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
How is Jay Bouwmeester looking this season?

He's a UFA at season's end. Could be a decent fit for cheap.

Awful. He should not be in a top 6 on any contending team. He is on his last legs, and while he may get a few more one year cheap deals, the Leafs will have better options (i.e. Rosen).

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Rielly - Pysyk
Dermott - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Ozhiganov

Rielly - Pysyk
Dermott - Marincin
Gardiner - Ozhiganov

I'll take just about anything so that Hainsey is fired into the sun.

I don't think the Leafs can stay idle for much longer with this kind of defensive core. It was evident last season, it certainly is glaring this season.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I'll take just about anything so that Hainsey is fired into the sun.

I don't think the Leafs can stay idle for much longer with this kind of defensive core. It was evident last season, it certainly is glaring this season.

Agreed. I cannot believe we have not been able to acquire a capable dman that can upgrade this dcore. We have been talking about a dman since months prior to the expansion draft.

this dcore is very scary and not for the right reasons:

Rielly - Pysyk
Dermott - Marincin
Gardiner - Ozhiganov

IMO we have the same problem with our 3rd pair as with our 4th line (no slight on Dermott as he is a top 4). They both have no purpose or identity. Both need to be heavy but are soft as the rest of the team.

If you are going to cave to Nylander because you want him for the cup run, you better address the d and grit problems soon or it will be "we told you so" if they lose to the Bruins in round 1.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Rielly - Pysyk
Dermott - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Ozhiganov

Rielly - Pysyk
Dermott - Marincin
Gardiner - Ozhiganov

no Hainsey?

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Andre Burakovsky would be a nice buy low type of LW the leafs should be interested in.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Andre Burakovsky would be a nice buy low type of LW the leafs should be interested in.

Believe it when I see it (buy low). They want win-now assets so at best we are swapping someone like Johnsson for him. I don't even know that I would do that.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
It's sad that this is where we are salary wise. Pretty much leaves us set in stone. Didn't do the math, but does this include the cap bump to ~$83m?
No to Reaves and promote Moore & Marchment instead and tell Gards to take a hike.

Rielly RD
Dermott Zaitsev
Hainsey Oz

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Could we run with this?

2018-2019

Rielly-Pysyk
Gardiner-Gudas
Dermott-Zaitsev

2019-2020

Rielly-Pysyk
Dermott-Gudas
Rosen-Zaitsev/Oz

2020-2021

Rielly-?
Dermott-Liljegren
Sandin-Rosen

I know I present a lot of questions/situations.
  • In 2018-2019 I kind of sweep Hainsey and Oz under the carpet.
  • Hoping that by 2020-2021 Zaitsev is gone
  • Not sure what to do with Oz and if he would re-sign to be the #7. If they can ge rid of Zaitsev early, that makes it easier.
Basically, the right side is a mess. It needs a major upgrade. One guy won't solve it unless its a big fish. The big fish will cost a ton and may also create cap issues for next year.

I say, trade for two decent and cheaper RHDs to plug the holes for 2 years. Those specific 2 come off the books right after our cap crunch year. By then, our youngsters are locked in, Marleau is gonezo and we will have a good idea if Rosen/Liljegren/Sandin will be the guys to fill the holes.

Once all that is figured out, we can have a clear understanding on (or if) we can afford to pursue a top RHD in the summer of 2020.

Reactions: TML1967

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Could we run with this?

2018-2019

Rielly-Pysyk
Gardiner-Gudas
Dermott-Zaitsev

2019-2020

Rielly-Pysyk
Dermott-Gudas
Rosen-Zaitsev/Oz

2020-2021

Rielly-?
Dermott-Liljegren
Sandin-Rosen

I know I present a lot of questions/situations.
  • In 2018-2019 I kind of sweep Hainsey and Oz under the carpet.
  • Hoping that by 2020-2021 Zaitsev is gone
  • Not sure what to do with Oz and if he would re-sign to be the #7. If they can ge rid of Zaitsev early, that makes it easier.
Basically, the right side is a mess. It needs a major upgrade. One guy won't solve it unless its a big fish. The big fish will cost a ton and may also create cap issues for next year.

I say, trade for two decent and cheaper RHDs to plug the holes for 2 years. Those specific 2 come off the books right after our cap crunch year. By then, our youngsters are locked in, Marleau is gonezo and we will have a good idea if Rosen/Liljegren/Sandin will be the guys to fill the holes.

Once all that is figured out, we can have a clear understanding on (or if) we can afford to pursue a top RHD in the summer of 2020.

Pysyk at best should be on the 2nd pairing and Gudas the 3rd. Likely to experience frustration if we're playing them above what they're capable of.

RLF

May 5, 2014
If we're talking about Phillipe yes please. He's my top prospect target. Kid is going to be a beast.

I agree. Mine top prospect target as well. His progression is awesome. He may be a call up at end of season. One of those guys that could get called up and actually make an impact in the playoffs.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Kapanen - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Anderson
Kassian - Lindholm - Gagner
ex. Gauthier, Ennis

Rielly - Parayko
Gardiner - Tanev
Dermott - Hainsey
ex. Marincin

Andreas Johnsson + Jeremy Bracco + Calle Rosen + 2019 1st rd. pick for Colton Parayko

Nikita Zaitsev + Justin Holl + 2020 1st rd. pick for Christopher Tanev + Sam Gagner + Zack Kassian

Connor Brown + Mason Marchment + 2020 1st rd. pick for Josh Anderson

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Kapanen - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Anderson
Kassian - Lindholm - Gagner
ex. Gauthier, Ennis

Rielly - Parayko
Gardiner - Tanev
Dermott - Hainsey
ex. Marincin

Andreas Johnsson + Jeremy Bracco + Calle Rosen + 2019 1st rd. pick for Colton Parayko

Nikita Zaitsev + Justin Holl + 2020 1st rd. pick for Christopher Tanev + Sam Gagner + Zack Kassian

Connor Brown + Mason Marchment + 2020 1st rd. pick for Josh Anderson

If you're Columbus why do you make that trade?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Zaitsev + 4th for Pysyk

Brown + 1st for Gudas

Both of them suck for the Leafs. Gudas is not worth a 1st, nevermind Brown on top, and Zaitsev is a better player than Pysyk. Why the Leafs would pay a 4th to downgrade from a top 4 RD to a bottom pairing defenseman (who is mediocre at best right now) is beyond me.

member 147413

Kadri for Pesce
Nylander for Kreider + Hayes
Brown + 2nd for Gudas + 5th
Zaitsev for Crouse
Oz for Kassian

Kreider - Matthews - Marner
Johnsson - Tavares - Kapanen
Marleau - Hayes - Hyman
Crouse - Lindholm - Kassian

Rielly - Pesce
Gardiner - Gudas
Dermott - Hainsey

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Kadri for Pesce
Nylander for Kreider + Hayes
Brown + 2nd for Gudas + 5th
Zaitsev for Crouse
Oz for Kassian

Kreider - Matthews - Marner
Johnsson - Tavares - Kapanen
Marleau - Hayes - Hyman
Crouse - Lindholm - Kassian

Rielly - Pesce
Gardiner - Gudas
Dermott - Hainsey
I support the bottom two. The Brown trade isn't far off, maybe a 3rd instead.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I have mrazek on my fantasy team so we reading the canes post game

They are talking about trading hamilton for a scoring winger....saad

Just fans talking but if any truth you'd have to think leafs would be in on that . Or would have witb Nylander during his sitting out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad