Trade and Free Agency Thread - C'mon More Trades!

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I would LOVE to find a way to get Dougie. not possible, but would love to find a way.
It is possible if you replace 3 of Kerfoot/Holl/Fred/Dermott with near league minimum contracts. Liljegren takes one of those D spots, Hamilton the other and find a cheap 3C/goalie tandem.

You may even have enough to extend Hyman.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I would LOVE to find a way to get Dougie. not possible, but would love to find a way.

So he is big but he doesn't play big and he has never had 20 goals or more than 50 points. How much better is his defense than Rielly? The offense difference is like 6-8 goals and a few less assists. I saw a bit of him as a Flame and he was pretty good but not great. When they had no right shot D he looked better but I am uncertain how much of an upgrade he is unless the defense is sneaky good. With that offense and size it seems odd that both Boston and Calgary found him to be expendable.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
So he is big but he doesn't play big and he has never had 20 goals or more than 50 points. How much better is his defense than Rielly? The offense difference is like 6-8 goals and a few less assists. I saw a bit of him as a Flame and he was pretty good but not great. When they had no right shot D he looked better but I am uncertain how much of an upgrade he is unless the defense is sneaky good. With that offense and size it seems odd that both Boston and Calgary found him to be expendable.

Yeah, I think he's over-rated. I'd take him, but not at the price he'll command. I'm not sure he's a top pairing defenseman on a contending team, let alone a #1.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
In no way can we afford Dougie Hamilton at the $8.5 million he'll command on the open market. He also needs a defensive babysitter too.

Find a way to maybe trade for Ekholm instead.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Bennett day to day but 15 pts in 10 GP. They were playing him at 2C.

He looked good prior to the injury..

Spencer Knight looks legit.

They have Lundell joining next year...or maybe they push for Eichel. Florida is a real interesting team to watch.

Reactions: hockeynorth

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

They have Lundell joining next year...or maybe they push for Eichel. Florida is a real interesting team to watch.
Too bad they still have 5 more years of Bobrovsky @ $10M.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Apparently Larry Brooks is reporting that the Rags are going to make a big time offer to Hyman. I imagine that to mean $6+M for 5+ years.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Pressure is now on Foligno (4 games as a Leaf) to help this team make a deep run. An early exit and the Foligno trade will not look good (although I liked the trade).

Reactions: WTFMAN99

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Rielly + Robertson + Kerfoot + Engvall + 2 1sts for Eichel
It would be hilarious but if you moved out Kerfoot/Holl/Engvall/Mikheyev and went with league minimum contracts everywhere else on the roster you actually could fit Eichel on this team for next season.

Tavares-Matthews-Marner
-Eichel-Nylander

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Liljegren
Sandin

Campbell

Just imagine those 5 forwards.. greasy.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Our defensive improvement is at a point where it can come from within.

Sandin is looking really good right now. I don't see why our top 4 would change heading into next season. It's entirely possible we bring back Bogosian, or sign someone similar. Possible we bring back Hutton to be our 4LD. Liljegren might be able to break through next year.

Jack Campbell is our starting goalie next year, which is awesome. One of our main off-season priorities will be finding out who will be playing behind him.

Then honestly, the main focus is up front. Fitting Hyman back in. Do we bring back Galchenyuk? Is Thornton done? Is Spezza done? Does Simmonds want to stay for an equal or less contract. Is Robertson full-time next year? Is Joey Anderson ready to be full-time? Are we able to extend Riley Nash at all? Are we able to extend Nick Foligno at all? Is Kerfoot or Dermott the one who Seattle selects? If Kerfoot isn't selected, is he moved to create some flexibility?

There is a possibility where our supporting cast of forwards is fairly different again next year.

Reactions: hockeynorth

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Apparently Larry Brooks is reporting that the Rags are going to make a big time offer to Hyman. I imagine that to mean $6+M for 5+ years.

Allowing him to go UFA opens the door for teams to overpay and take you out of the Hyman sweepstakes. At that price, I can handle Hyman walking. There should be plenty of cheaper options this summer.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Allowing him to go UFA opens the door for teams to overpay and take you out of the Hyman sweepstakes. At that price, I can handle Hyman walking. There should be plenty of cheaper options this summer.

If they can get Danault for cheaper, I would kind of prefer that.

Reactions: ToneDog

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Yes...they can kill themselves with that contract.

Panarin, Kreider on big contracts
Buchnevich RFA this summer
Zibby UFA next summer

Kakko, Lafreniere, Kravstov and Chytil big money in a couple years.

Hyman at 6M seems like a dumb idea when they need LD and C.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

If we don't have a handshake deal with Hyman before expansion, I think we need to have him signed, even if it means we expose another defenseman. Hyman is a lot more important to this team than Justin Holl.

Reactions: ToneDog and Korg

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
It would be hilarious but if you moved out Kerfoot/Holl/Engvall/Mikheyev and went with league minimum contracts everywhere else on the roster you actually could fit Eichel on this team for next season.

Tavares-Matthews-Marner
-Eichel-Nylander

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Liljegren
Sandin

Campbell

Just imagine those 5 forwards.. greasy.

If we are going to dream big, and unrealistically, how about a deal for Eichel at 50% and Dahlin... :laugh: (I know, not realistic)

I'm not criticizing you at all, but that would be some incredible talent on the team, if we pulled that off... sadly, our depth would be terrible outside of these guys... but roll Matthews, Eichel and Tavares as your C's, and the 4th line could play five minutes a night. (or just roll three lines)

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If we don't have a handshake deal with Hyman before expansion, I think we need to have him signed, even if it means we expose another defenseman. Hyman is a lot more important to this team than Justin Holl.

Agreed but at a number that works for the team or we will be deeper in cap hell.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If we are going to dream big, and unrealistically, how about a deal for Eichel at 50% and Dahlin... :laugh:

I'm not criticizing you at all, but that would be some incredible talent on the team, if we pulled that off... sadly, our depth would be terrible outside of these guys... but roll Matthews, Eichel and Tavares as your C's, and the 4th line could play five minutes a night. (or just roll three lines)

Was typing the same suggestion earlier but stopped because the chances of adding Eichel without giving up Marner or Nylander is wishful thinking. Rangers probably beat any Leaf offer out of the water and Sabres probably prefer to send him as far away from Buffalo as possible.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Was typing the same suggestion earlier but stopped because the chances of adding Eichel without giving up Marner or Nylander is wishful thinking. Rangers probably beat any Leaf offer out of the water and Sabres probably prefer to send him as far away from Buffalo as possible.

Probably out West. LA Kings could pull off a deal for them, and I'd think that Minnesota and Calgary would be interested as dark horses.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
The only thing I can think about when I see/hear the name Dougie Hamilton is watching him be completely terrified to go into the corner in the playoffs vs Ovechkin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad