Trade and Free Agency Thread - C'mon More Trades!

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The only thing I can think about when I see/hear the name Dougie Hamilton is watching him be completely terrified to go into the corner in the playoffs vs Ovechkin.

If we move on from Rielly, it should be for a player who is better defensively.... Hamilton isn't that.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Danault would slot nicely in as a #3C behind Matthews and JT. Could probably play up on the wing too.

Basically be a grittier version of Kerfoot.

I don't know what he wants on the next contract, but if it's less than what Kerfoot is getting now, you'd have to strongly consider it. Would be a good 3C, can PK, which helps give us a real C on the PK.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If we move on from Rielly, it should be for a player who is better defensively.... Hamilton isn't that.

I'm hoping we resign Bogo and if we do, we do not need another expensive RHD. If Sandin is ready to replace Rielly, I'd rather go for picks and a bluechip prospect for Rielly.

Reactions: 40BayStreet

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'm hoping we resign Bogo and if we do, we do not need another expensive RHD. If Sandin is ready to replace Rielly, I'd rather go for picks and a bluechip prospect for Rielly.

I'm willing to give Rielly these playoffs to decide his future here. If he shines, it's going to be very difficult to move on from him. He has leadership qualities to him, and this playoff run is a time for him to step up his game... But if he doesn't...

Sandin doesn't replace Rielly, not next year anyway, he's just not there... with time, maybe he replaces his overall game. I'd love to see both Sandin and Liljegren on the roster. I don't know what happens with the expansion draft, whether it's Kerfoot, Holl or Dermott who is claimed. I'm secretly pulling for it to be Holl... I believe that he isn't as good as he's looked at times, that Muzzin has made him look better than he is.

Dermott, I'm still patient enough to hope that he's got more in him, than he's showed. People bring up Weegar, and how Weegar took that next step, and that Dermott is ahead of where Weegar was at this stage... all true, but it's up to Travis to put it together.

Muzzin and Brodie as certainties... hoping Dermott, Liljegren and Sandin take the next step... Bogo I'd agree with you...

but I think we need a decent #7 signing, in case we need it.

Reactions: ToneDog

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I don't know what he wants on the next contract, but if it's less than what Kerfoot is getting now, you'd have to strongly consider it. Would be a good 3C, can PK, which helps give us a real C on the PK.

Lowry just got a 5 year, $3.25 AAV extension .. He has similar production this season, similar strong defensive #3C except Danault is a proven 40-50 point player. Both are 28.

For that proven ability, a 4-5 year deal between $3.25-$4 AAV is reasonable. I'd be all over that. We've seen that Dubas can bring in bargain wingers to play with the core pieces.

Heck I'd try to squeeze a 3 year deal with him, since that could take him to 31 where he could cash in if he plays well with the Leafs (and the cap goes back up).

Danault did turn down a bigger deal from Montreal last year, betting on himself and losing. Should be interesting to see what he gets.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Allowing him to go UFA opens the door for teams to overpay and take you out of the Hyman sweepstakes. At that price, I can handle Hyman walking. There should be plenty of cheaper options this summer.

Id wager Hymans agent will have a good idea of other teams potential offers prior to the official start of free agency.

If Hyman wants to chase.the money (which is his right, no ill will from me) he'll be finishing his career in another city.

That said, I'm not worried. I'd expect he and the Leafs will find a reasonable compromise that keeps him here long term

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Seattle signs their first player: Luke Henman.

I had him as an AHL contract target to put in the ECHL for a year before competing for an AHL job, but it looks like he will get a chance in the AHL right away now.

He is nothing spectacular as a prospect, but he is solid and brings a fairly well-rounded and high character game. Could be a decent bottom 6er some day if everything works out.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Seattle signs their first player: Luke Henman.

I had him as an AHL contract target to put in the ECHL for a year before competing for an AHL job, but it looks like he will get a chance in the AHL right away now.

He is nothing spectacular as a prospect, but he is solid and brings a fairly well-rounded and high character game. Could be a decent bottom 6er some day if everything works out.

I thought I read Luke Schennman...:sarcasm:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Going to unsticky this thread for the playoff season as per request from above as there are no trades happening presently, but this thread will return again post Stanley Cup playoffs again.

Stinger8

Feb 16, 2021
This is out there BUT I would investigate the possibility of moving Reilly and Nylander for Seth Jones and a good prospect. Only if we can be assured we will resign Jones and that his contract demand is not above $9.5MM AV. I know you are putting more dough into fewer players (Mathews, Marner, Tavares, Jones) BUT if you think Sandin and Lilly are ready for prime time, you have Muzz, Brodie Holl to help stabilize the young guns, you have hopefully Robertson to replace some of Willys offensive production I kinda like it. I think winning the big prize without a standout number 1 dominant 25 min a game D man is very hard. We can also sign Hyman if we move $12MM off our cap and replace with 9.5 gives about $2.5 to go to Hyman. Down the road we can move Muzz and his dough to help future salary cap issues

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Do we need the defensive upgrade with our current group?

I wanna see how Rielly and Holl perform in the playoffs.

I feel good about Muzz and Brodie. Sandin is going to be ready for top 4 with Brodie sooner rather than later.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
This is out there BUT I would investigate the possibility of moving Reilly and Nylander for Seth Jones and a good prospect. Only if we can be assured we will resign Jones and that his contract demand is not above $9.5MM AV. I know you are putting more dough into fewer players (Mathews, Marner, Tavares, Jones) BUT if you think Sandin and Lilly are ready for prime time, you have Muzz, Brodie Holl to help stabilize the young guns, you have hopefully Robertson to replace some of Willys offensive production I kinda like it. I think winning the big prize without a standout number 1 dominant 25 min a game D man is very hard. We can also sign Hyman if we move $12MM off our cap and replace with 9.5 gives about $2.5 to go to Hyman. Down the road we can move Muzz and his dough to help future salary cap issues

Seth Jones is bad.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I wanna see how Rielly and Holl perform in the playoffs.

I feel good about Muzz and Brodie. Sandin is going to be ready for top 4 with Brodie sooner rather than later.
Sandin and Lilj are the wild cards, but it seems like our actual defensive play has been strong.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Not me. Foligno actually performed well in his tough usage in Columbus.

I've watched around 10-12 games of CBJ this season.

Eye test which I know is blasphemy....

First few weeks of the season, Werenski-Jones were off. Half a second slow in their decision making. Not up to their usual standard. It got better.

Things rolled along, he looked fine, looked like Seth Jones, a great defenseman.

Werenski went down. He's played with Del Zotto the second most...while not terrible, it's not exactly a legit top 4 partner. Had a stint with Lehtonen. Lehtonen isn't an NHL defenseman. Gavrikov and Jones didn't really show any chemistry.

Columbus is just flat out a bad team this season and I think it's destroying the spread sheet so the narrative is that Jones isn't good. Bad team, bad defensive partners...overall just not going to assist in making a player look good.

The best way I could put it is that everyone looks like garbage on Buffalo. They leave and they look great.

The minute Seth Jones leaves Columbus and goes to a real team, he's going to be in the Norris conversation.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

First few weeks of the season, Werenski-Jones were off. Half a second slow in their decision making. Not up to their usual standard. It got better.

Things rolled along, he looked fine, looked like Seth Jones, a great defenseman.

Werenski went down. He's played with Del Zotto the second most...while not terrible, it's not exactly a legit top 4 partner. Had a stint with Lehtonen. Lehtonen isn't an NHL defenseman. Gavrikov and Jones didn't really show any chemistry.

Columbus is just flat out a bad team this season and I think it's destroying the spread sheet so the narrative is that Jones isn't good. Bad team, bad defensive partners...overall just not going to assist in making a player look good.

The best way I could put it is that everyone looks like garbage on Buffalo. They leave and they look great.

The minute Seth Jones leaves Columbus and goes to a real team, he's going to be in the Norris conversation.

Seth's warts were evident long before this season though. Don't be surprised by a Phaneuf career path here.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Seth's warts were evident long before this season though. Don't be surprised by a Phaneuf career path here.

My only complaint in watching him is he's an absolute horse but doesn't necessarily play mean or physical all the time. He could absolutely destroy guys if he wanted to, I saw him and Wilson go for the puck, collide and Tom Wilson went flying. There is also something to be said that he might have gotten tired of Torts, it has been known to happen.

Phaneuf got that laceration in Calgary and I think things seemed to go down after that...seemed to screw with his mobility. Jones moves very well still.

Odds of Jones landing here? Slim. Unless he outright agreed to a contract extension prior to adding him, it wouldn't make sense to proceed. I think Philadelphia are going to be a team to watch on Seth Jones though.

CBJ would be smart to offer up a substantial extension, if he turns it down, you know he's leaving, don't drag it out.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
My only complaint in watching him is he's an absolute horse but doesn't necessarily play mean or physical all the time. He could absolutely destroy guys if he wanted to, I saw him and Wilson go for the puck, collide and Tom Wilson went flying. There is also something to be said that he might have gotten tired of Torts, it has been known to happen.

Phaneuf got that laceration in Calgary and I think things seemed to go down after that...seemed to screw with his mobility. Jones moves very well still.

Odds of Jones landing here? Slim. Unless he outright agreed to a contract extension prior to adding him, it wouldn't make sense to proceed. I think Philadelphia are going to be a team to watch on Seth Jones though.

CBJ would be smart to offer up a substantial extension, if he turns it down, you know he's leaving, don't drag it out.

I think Jones has very similar skating flaws as Dion did - and a similar way of compensating for it - I.e. giving up a bigger gap. But it doesn't really work well now and I suspect it will only get worse as his big body ages.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Do we need the defensive upgrade with our current group?

If your top D pairing is on the ice the most, would you prefer a D man who is defensively responsible, or not? Defense wins championships, you build from the net out... I mean, these are sayings for a reason. Rielly mistakes led to several goals against last night, he was a -3 on the night. You ask if we need a defensive upgrade on THAT??? You want to replace Rielly with someone who is as bad, or worse defensively? Of course we should strive to be better defensively, always.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
If your top D pairing is on the ice the most, would you prefer a D man who is defensively responsible, or not? Defense wins championships, you build from the net out... I mean, these are sayings for a reason. Rielly mistakes led to several goals against last night, he was a -3 on the night. You ask if we need a defensive upgrade on THAT??? You want to replace Rielly with someone who is as bad, or worse defensively? Of course we should strive to be better defensively, always.
I'd rather look at the whole picture instead of a meaningless game like last night. Rielly is trouble defensively, but if anything is like more offense - specifically goals and a shooting threat, from his replacement. I'll take that over a Brodie 2.0 given our current makeup

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

I don't think Jones is bad, but I don't think he's $9 mil plus good either. Columbus has had a strong defensive team, and system, and Jones is on the ice for a lot of goals against, and poor SV%, in multiple seasons. Now these are more than a Jones measurement, but after a few seasons, it's a trend, and you wonder why... ok, he plays against tough competition, and so on.. but if you go from a strong defensive team like Columbus, to the Leafs, will he suddenly look better defensively? Offensively, I think his numbers go up dramatically...

You look at a guy like Hedman, and he's a guy who you can put out with anyone, and he's going to make them look good... Jones isn't in that category, really very few are.

I just don't think he's the right answer for us... I think we need a defensively responsible guy, who can pair with Brodie for decent minutes, and is adequate at moving the puck. Sandin and Liljegren have done fairly well on the PP with the Marlies, and Sandin looks good at the NHL level in doing so. Get me a medium budget guy, who makes us better defensively, maybe physically, and isn't going to kill the budget.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'd rather look at the whole picture instead of a meaningless game like last night. Rielly is trouble defensively, but if anything is like more offense - specifically goals and a shooting threat, from his replacement. I'll take that over a Brodie 2.0 given our current makeup

That meaningless game last night, is pretty much who Rielly is.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad