Trade and Free Agency Thread - C'mon More Trades!

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
he may get claimed by Seattle ...and yea, i'm being serious.
the defense and goalies will be high end, but not so much as scorers.
Leafs may lose Kerfoot vs Dermott simply because there is no higher end C's going to be available, and Skinner may be the top goal scorer available to Seattle. ...not to mention, they need to hit the Cap Floor, so, they some bigger ticket players too. Unless UFA's think they will be signing up for LVGK part II and hop on the expansion bandwagon (and because Seattle can overpay everyone, and so few teams have any cap space)

It's a NMC deal so Buffalo has to protect him. And he's got $72M left on his contract. They only save about $15M buying him out so they may just ride his deal. Otherwise he isn't going anywhere.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The thing with Rielly is that he's not as good offensively as most think, yet his defensive game is better than most think. In the middle somewhere is a good player that shouldn't get top tier money, but easily fits in the next group.

He's 12th in PPG over the last 4 seasons amongst defensemen with at least 80 games played. Guys ahead of him are:

Makar
Carlson
Hedman
Burns
Krug
Josi
Hughes
Letang
Barrie
Karlsson
Fox

Will be interesting to see what Barrie signs for. Somewhere around Krug money is probably right.

It's easy to pass up to our forward group and pick up a few points to inflate stats.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
It's easy to pass up to our forward group and pick up a few points to inflate stats.
used to be when we were a score off the rush team, now, we overpass, so, D makes the pass, then there is a 1/2 dozen passes before a shot.
we have gotten to 'cute' and need to just let it fly more often.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
used to be when we were a score off the rush team, now, we overpass, so, D makes the pass, then there is a 1/2 dozen passes before a shot.
we have gotten to 'cute' and need to just let it fly more often.

I'd probably move JT or 88 to PP2 just to have a primary shot threat.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
I'd probably move JT or 88 to PP2 just to have a primary shot threat.
we have 3 forwards that can one-time a pass Matthews, Nylander and Galy... none on Defense which hurts us, and our 1-timer setup is usually from the mid-boards only, which is easy to predict and stop.
Washington on the other hand setup up 1-timers from the point, the 1/2 boards, and the low... and why OV is always getting off his shot. if the puck is going to him, 90% of the time, its a setup, not just a pass.
Our passing on the PP sucks. too many soft passes, behind the player, off the stick, drop backs etc.
we should use the old video game Tempest as a model ...every pass is a shooting lane :D

tempest.jpg

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
we have 3 forwards that can one-time a pass Matthews, Nylander and Galy... none on Defense which hurts us, and our 1-timer setup is usually from the mid-boards only, which is easy to predict and stop.
Washington on the other hand setup up 1-timers from the point, the 1/2 boards, and the low... and why OV is always getting off his shot. if the puck is going to him, 90% of the time, its a setup, not just a pass.
Our passing on the PP sucks. too many soft passes, behind the player, off the stick, drop backs etc.
we should use the old video game Tempest as a model ...every pass is a shooting lane :D

tempest.jpg

I would say having other players shoot a lot would actually open up the one time option a lot more. Rielly point shot not really a threat, hopefully Sandin is able to provide at least a heavy shot.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
At this point I suspect Buffalo would give draft picks to Seattle to take Skinner in trade if he'd agreed to a trade.

40BayStreet

Feb 3, 2011
Toronto
If I'm Seattle I'm asking for Buffalo's 1st rounder to take on that deal.

I think Skinner is immovable at this point in his contract.
It cost us a first rounder to get rid of one year on Marleau's contract. Jeff Skinner has 6 years left and is almost $9 million a year, nearly $3million more than Marleau's deal, I would be pretty annoyed if Seattle took on that contract for only 1 first round pick.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
It cost us a first rounder to get rid of one year on Marleau's contract. Jeff Skinner has 6 years left and is almost $9 million a year, nearly $3million more than Marleau's deal, I would be pretty annoyed if Seattle took on that contract for only 1 first round pick.

I'm sure Buffalo would eat up 2-3 mil of that cap as well. I think that'd be a good gamble for Seattle to take depending on who they hire as a coach. Had 2 down years after Buffalo hired Krueger and he's been producing more since he got fired not long ago I believe.

Reactions: 40BayStreet

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Honestly Buffalo would just be better off actually playing him with Jack Eichel, the guy he scored 40 goals with.

They would at least get value for their money then. Kruger never tried it 5 on 5 in his entire tenure and it made zero sense.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Honestly Buffalo would just be better off actually playing him with Jack Eichel, the guy he scored 40 goals with.

They would at least get value for their money then. Kruger never tried it 5 on 5 in his entire tenure and it made zero sense.
Edit: Just to further this point, in 77 games the past two seasons Eichel and Skinner average just 1.8 minutes per game together 5 on 5 with a 61% CF 60% xGF and a 60% SCF in 142 minutes together. Both were significantly under 50% in all three categories without each other.

in 18/19 when Skinner scored 40 goals with Eichel they had over 840 minutes together 5 on 5, with a 52% CF, 55% xGF, 53% SCF.

Playing your best players together helps when you only have two that can score..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad