Trade and Free Agency Thread - C'mon More Trades!

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Seattle signs their first player: Luke Henman.

I had him as an AHL contract target to put in the ECHL for a year before competing for an AHL job, but it looks like he will get a chance in the AHL right away now.

He is nothing spectacular as a prospect, but he is solid and brings a fairly well-rounded and high character game. Could be a decent bottom 6er some day if everything works out.

Comes from the same area of NS as Crosby and MacKinnon, must be something in the water:sarcasm:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't think Jones is bad, but I don't think he's $9 mil plus good either. Columbus has had a strong defensive team, and system, and Jones is on the ice for a lot of goals against, and poor SV%, in multiple seasons. Now these are more than a Jones measurement, but after a few seasons, it's a trend, and you wonder why... ok, he plays against tough competition, and so on.. but if you go from a strong defensive team like Columbus, to the Leafs, will he suddenly look better defensively? Offensively, I think his numbers go up dramatically...

You look at a guy like Hedman, and he's a guy who you can put out with anyone, and he's going to make them look good... Jones isn't in that category, really very few are.

I just don't think he's the right answer for us... I think we need a defensively responsible guy, who can pair with Brodie for decent minutes, and is adequate at moving the puck. Sandin and Liljegren have done fairly well on the PP with the Marlies, and Sandin looks good at the NHL level in doing so. Get me a medium budget guy, who makes us better defensively, maybe physically, and isn't going to kill the budget.

We can't afford 9M on a defenseman that isn't essentially another Hedman. Not as we're presently constructed.

Parayko, Jones, Lindholm, Pulock, Klingberg, Manson, Murphy, Ekholm are all UFA summer of 2022 (along with Rielly)

Sandin-Brodie
Muzzin-X
X-X

Is how I would view the group by that point.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

horner

May 22, 2007
We don't seem to have any dman that have a great Slapshot and can get it through to the goaltender.

Mo has no Slapshot and his shot always gets blocked.

Sandin his shot seems to find its way through.

Holl has a great shot but uses it rarely.

Reactions: sxvnert

horner

May 22, 2007
We can't afford 9M on a defenseman that isn't essentially another Hedman. Not as we're presently constructed.

Parayko, Jones, Lindholm, Pulock, Klingberg, Manson, Murphy, Ekholm are all UFA summer of 2022 (along with Rielly)

Sandin-Brodie
Muzzin-X
X-X

Who would you choose out of that group.
Who we can afford.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Who would you choose out of that group.
Who we can afford.

Well, expect the group to get trimmed down a bit, teams will retain players etc.

I'd personally be fine with any of Parayko, Pulock, Klingberg or Murphy.

Murphy probably comes in the cheapest.

I think the rest come in at the 5-7M mark.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Sandin-Brodie
Muzzin-X
X-X

That's a good list of D men there... I don't think Manson is the answer, his game has regressed.. maybe it's his team too, and as a #4, he might not be bad... but the cap hit... someone is going to overpay.

Parayko is a second pairing guy, who Pietrangelo made look better. He's a tough guy to give a raise to, and it wouldn't shock me if he got it. He's pretty key for St. Louis to keep, unless they really tank next year. I mean, at the right price, yes, but I think he will get above our budget.

Klingberg struggles defensively at times too, not whom I'd target.

Pullock is the type of guy, I'd target in your lineup. Challenge being, he's already on a $5 mil contract.. what kind of raise is he looking for? If you can get him near that price, he might be the most ideal addition. The physicality, defensive capability, PK...

I really like Ekholm's game... LD though... he'd be a pretty good add.. but position wise, might not make sense.

Connor Murphy would look good at that 4 spot too. You just wish he was more physical.

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I don't think Jones is bad, but I don't think he's $9 mil plus good either. Columbus has had a strong defensive team, and system, and Jones is on the ice for a lot of goals against, and poor SV%, in multiple seasons. Now these are more than a Jones measurement, but after a few seasons, it's a trend, and you wonder why... ok, he plays against tough competition, and so on.. but if you go from a strong defensive team like Columbus, to the Leafs, will he suddenly look better defensively? Offensively, I think his numbers go up dramatically...

You look at a guy like Hedman, and he's a guy who you can put out with anyone, and he's going to make them look good... Jones isn't in that category, really very few are.

I just don't think he's the right answer for us... I think we need a defensively responsible guy, who can pair with Brodie for decent minutes, and is adequate at moving the puck. Sandin and Liljegren have done fairly well on the PP with the Marlies, and Sandin looks good at the NHL level in doing so. Get me a medium budget guy, who makes us better defensively, maybe physically, and isn't going to kill the budget.

Basically another Brodie :laugh:

Reactions: Fogelhund

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
That's a good list of D men there... I don't think Manson is the answer, his game has regressed.. maybe it's his team too, and as a #4, he might not be bad... but the cap hit... someone is going to overpay.

Parayko is a second pairing guy, who Pietrangelo made look better. He's a tough guy to give a raise to, and it wouldn't shock me if he got it. He's pretty key for St. Louis to keep, unless they really tank next year. I mean, at the right price, yes, but I think he will get above our budget.

Klingberg struggles defensively at times too, not whom I'd target.

Pullock is the type of guy, I'd target in your lineup. Challenge being, he's already on a $5 mil contract.. what kind of raise is he looking for? If you can get him near that price, he might be the most ideal addition. The physicality, defensive capability, PK...

I really like Ekholm's game... LD though... he'd be a pretty good add.. but position wise, might not make sense.

Connor Murphy would look good at that 4 spot too. You just wish he was more physical.

One thing to consider is Muzzin's age and potential decline. I'd be in for acquiring a solid all around two way defender like Ekholm on the left side to pair with Liljegren and share tough minutes with Muzzin and whoever his partner is.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If the team was to chase a big fish D man, they'd go after Hamilton than Jones since Dougie is very much in line with Dubas' vision of D.

That said, I don't think such a drastic move is necessary. If the team is going to move on from Rielly I'd rather sign a guy in the vein of Brodie or Muzzin. We don't need a big offensive driver in the backend. Just smart guys who can keep the puck out of the net for a reasonable cost

Stinger8

Feb 16, 2021
Seth Jones is bad.
The Morgan Reilly of the last 6 weeks is bad too, as a 5/6 he would be acceptable at a $5MM salary, whoa. Maybe he is hurt??? Maybe he succumbed like some do to getting complacent when they find the woman of their dreams?? Dont know but the dude the last little while has been well bad.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
How about signing PK Subban when his contract runs out, at the end of next year? Let's say he wants to come home, third pairing D, third pairing dollars... He'll have made $80 million by then, maybe time to come home, and try and win a cup in front of the family?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The Morgan Reilly of the last 6 weeks is bad too, as a 5/6 he would be acceptable at a $5MM salary, whoa. Maybe he is hurt??? Maybe he succumbed like some do to getting complacent when they find the woman of their dreams?? Dont know but the dude the last little while has been well bad.

Last 6 weeks:

Rielly: 11.9% ozone starts, 55.3xgf%, 0.92p/60 5v5 (0.91p/60 PP)
Jones: 17.4% ozone starts, 42.8xgf%, 0.861p/60 5v5 (4.21p/60 PP)

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
How about signing PK Subban when his contract runs out, at the end of next year? Let's say he wants to come home, third pairing D, third pairing dollars... He'll have made $80 million by then, maybe time to come home, and try and win a cup in front of the family?

Pass for me .. He's below average defensively, has declined mobility, and offensively is well past his peak. You'd be better off just having Liljegren in the line up.

If we're bringing in a bargain vet, I'd prefer someone who brings some size and is steadier defensively.

Honestly would re-sign Bogo after the expansion draft. He's a perfect, cheap bottom pairing/#7 d-man.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Last 6 weeks:

Rielly: 11.9% ozone starts, 55.3xgf%, 0.92p/60 5v5 (0.91p/60 PP)
Jones: 17.4% ozone starts, 42.8xgf%, 0.861p/60 5v5 (4.21p/60 PP)

I am no stats guru but do the other 4 guys on the ice play a factor into the numbers because Rielly is clearly playing with 4 better players than Jones. I'd be willing to bet that our PP would be better with Jones in over Rielly.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Here is a lineup projection I put together. Full 23 man roster, about $320K in cap space remaining.

Notes:
- Travis Dermott taken by SEA in Expansion
- Alex Kerfoot traded to WPG/??? for 3rd Round Pick
- Zach Hyman gets 4.75M x 5 seasons
- Alex Galchenyuk gets 1M x 1 year, realizing in Toronto has been the best fit for him of recent teams
- Nick Bonino gets 2M x 1 year. He doesn't provide much of anything offensively, but is a tremendous defensive player still. Think he would be a great fit, as Keefe has more and more looked to build a defensive third line. I see him as a bit of a stop gap/insurance, as Engvall has toyed with being a possible 3C target as well.
- Riley Nash comes back for a season, as he missed most of the season with injury
- Wayne Simmonds could come back for his current salary or lower, it would just mean both Brooks and Anderson being in the AHL to start, and us having a 22 man roster.
- Raanta gets 2.5M x 2 years. Feel like this is a pretty low risk, safe backup option. Can be switched out for another option, if preferred. Toyed with the idea of Reimer or Bernier coming back lol

Capture.png

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I tend to wear my GM hat more than a coach hat so part of me is going to be really curious how this off-season gets handled if they go out in round 1. JT going down sucks but it can't be the crutch, TB won without Stamkos, Dallas went to finals with Bishop out and the corpse of Seguin as their 1C.

At the exact same time, I liked ALL of Dubas's moves from last off-season through the trade deadline so what realistically happens?

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Rielly was probably our best player in game 1. The man hardly played in his own zone and created a lot of offense both at 5v5 and EVS. Incredible game, he handled the habs forecheck really well.

None of Parayko, Seth Jones, Murphy, Ekholm, Klinberg, Murray, Lindholm, Pulock etc are both better than Rielly and going to be affordable at a better contract for the entire duration when factoring term.

On that list, only Klinberg, Parayako, and Jones have an argument as being better but even then it's really close between the three players.

We should sign Rielly long-term this offseason. 6.5M-7M for 7 or 8 years. He is our best defenseman plain and simple and the one who can do the most on the ice.

Move kerfoot in the summer, and he is replaced by Brooks. His contract savings (about 2.5M) goes mostly to Rielly, with the kessel retention of 1.2M along with the 500k-700k from kerfoot savings going to re-up hyman.

Now if we lose to Montreal, this isn't a concern at all as Nylander/Marner are dealt and we begin a retool

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
We don't seem to have any dman that have a great Slapshot and can get it through to the goaltender.

Mo has no Slapshot and his shot always gets blocked.

Sandin his shot seems to find its way through.

Holl has a great shot but uses it rarely.
Certainly needs to be at the top of this summers to do list.

Muzzin Brodie
Sandin ----------
Hutton Bogo

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Rielly was probably our best player in game 1. The man hardly played in his own zone and created a lot of offense both at 5v5 and EVS. Incredible game, he handled the habs forecheck really well.

None of Parayko, Seth Jones, Murphy, Ekholm, Klinberg, Murray, Lindholm, Pulock etc are both better than Rielly and going to be affordable at a better contract for the entire duration when factoring term.

On that list, only Klinberg, Parayako, and Jones have an argument as being better but even then it's really close between the three players.

We should sign Rielly long-term this offseason. 6.5M-7M for 7 or 8 years. He is our best defenseman plain and simple and the one who can do the most on the ice.

Move kerfoot in the summer, and he is replaced by Brooks. His contract savings (about 2.5M) goes mostly to Rielly, with the kessel retention of 1.2M along with the 500k-700k from kerfoot savings going to re-up hyman.

Now if we lose to Montreal, this isn't a concern at all as Nylander/Marner are dealt and we begin a retool

Unfortunately, Kessel's contract is on the book next season too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad