Speculation: Trade and Free Agency Talk XLIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
I honestly don't recall Fiala having any of the issues that Khovanov is known for (that includes biting other players). I know he's been benched because his lack of defensive work has been an issue, but I have never heard of any major attitude issues that Fiala has had. Hell, he's the son of a coach - so? I also don't recall them saying he had an attitude problem when sending him to the AHL, only that he needed to work on his game.

He has to come back next season, but I don't see Khovanov as much of a prospect at the moment. He's fine developing like Johansson, but if he doesn't work out - he doesn't work out. I'd say that Beckman, Firstov, and Nuts have surpassed him in terms of development and play.
Just recalling from my time with the Admirals, Fiala was a huge prospect obviously for them and I didn't work for them when he was with them (he was on the Preds full time by then). But, I can say that the opinion I got from people who worked in the organization behind the scenes was that Fiala had a massive attitude problem, like came out and said point blank that he was to good to play in the minors and he was just all around arrogant and cocky during his time with the farm club. Not trying to Fiala bash or anything, I think he's a great player and a fine representation of what a Minnesota Wild player should be just wanted to share what I know about the opinion of him around the water cooler per say.

Copying a link from an article that I found that highlights some of what I'm saying...

Predators' Kevin Fiala helped by attitude adjustment

Reactions: GuerinUp

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
VHL is a men's league and Khovanov came straight from junior and had a fine season.
Agreed, it's a good league, and a big step up from the CHL, but it is also a big step down from the NHL. I am not prepared to write off Khovanov, but unless he really works on his game over the summer, and unlocks some talent, he will be an AHL'er next year.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Anyone know when teams need to have their expansion protection lists completed by? Will they be made public?

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Anyone know when teams need to have their expansion protection lists completed by? Will they be made public?

I couldn't find a timetable for future requirements, but if it's the same as Vegas:

The 30 NHL Clubs must submit their Protection List by 5:00 P.M. ET on Saturday, June 17, 2017. Vegas must submit its Expansion Draft Selections by 5:00 P.M. ET on June 20 and the announcement of their selections will be released on made on June 21.

Expansion Draft: Full Rules

Seattle's expansion draft will be July 21, this summer. So, best guess for protection list due is 5 pm, Saturday, July 17.

Reactions: TaLoN

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
With Pens' 1st in his pocket, I wonder if Guerin is going to offer a 3rd or 2nd to Seattle to take Soucy. Have a hard time seeing Seattle turning that down just to grab Dumba or Greenway or Talbot.
I have a suspicion that he would rather keep Soucy and the 3.25M AAV cap difference. I also think that Seattle will be looking more for forwards, and maybe reasonably priced goalies(Talbot), than Dmen. Odds are good that SEA will have shots at Hamilton or Skjei, Graves, Klefbom, and maybe Risto, among others. Dumba is way less valuable than we might think to them. A guy like Greenway would be more of a need.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I have a suspicion that he would rather keep Soucy and the 3.25M AAV cap difference. I also think that Seattle will be looking more for forwards, and maybe reasonably priced goalies(Talbot), than Dmen. Odds are good that SEA will have shots at Hamilton or Skjei, Graves, Klefbom, and maybe Risto, among others. Dumba is way less valuable than we might think to them. A guy like Greenway would be more of a need.
Yeah, whatever our thoughts are the view from Seattle is probably wildly different. Only having a week or so to work from protection lists to a hockey team still kind of blows my mind.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Agreed, it's a good league, and a big step up from the CHL, but it is also a big step down from the NHL. I am not prepared to write off Khovanov, but unless he really works on his game over the summer, and unlocks some talent, he will be an AHL'er next year.
I agree. Khovanov took a step up this year, regardless if some are disappointed that he didn't go to Iowa and didn't stick in the KHL. And he does have 2-3 more steps to go in order to be a contributor in the NHL.

Yeah, whatever our thoughts are the view from Seattle is probably wildly different. Only having a week or so to work from protection lists to a hockey team still kind of blows my mind.
We are also viewing Seattle's pick in isolation to the Wild. Seattle may be looking at a glut of LWs, goalies, or LHDs from other teams that would impact their decision.

Last edited by a moderator:

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
7/17: Protected lists submitted
7/18: Seattle can start negotiating with UFAs
7/21: Seattle expansion draft results announced
7/23-4: Entry draft
7/28: Free agency begins

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Oh, and one more thing about Khovanov. Torchetti said he could be a bit difficult to coach(paraphrasing here, i don't think he used the word difficult), but he also said he "loved the kid". I'm sure Marchand was a handful to coach, and maybe Ovi when he was younger. A team is made up of all kinds- you can't have an entire team of prima donnas, nor an entire team of low key robotic types. Get the right mix, but give me talent first, anyday.

Last edited:

P10p

May 15, 2012
Oh, and one more thing about Khovanov. Torchetti said he could be a bit difficult to coach(paraphrasing here, i don't think he used the word difficult), but he also said he "loved the kid". I'm sure Marchand was handful to coach, and maybe Ovi when he was younger. A team is made up of all kinds- you can't have an entire team of prima donnas, nor an entire team of low key robotic types. Get the right mix, but give me talent first, anyday.

People always use that Torchetti quote as a negative against Khovanov, when Torchetti was clearly meaning it to be a positive. paraphrasing but I believe he mentioned that it helped him grow as a coach.

Reactions: 57special

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Does anyone think we should only/mainly be targeting right shot centers? We really only have 2-3 long term players who are right shot.

currently Dumba, spurgeon, Hartman, bjugstad (Addison is too). So really it’s a possibility that only spurgeon and Dumba/Addison could be on the team next year.

here are some right shot centers based on ppg this year only:
R.Strome (nyr)
Eichel
Zib (nyr)
E.Lindholm
Toffoli
C.Smith
Schmaltz
C. Blackwell (nyr)
Mason Appleton (wpg)

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Does anyone think we should only/mainly be targeting right shot centers? We really only have 2-3 long term players who are right shot.

currently Dumba, spurgeon, Hartman, bjugstad (Addison is too). So really it’s a possibility that only spurgeon and Dumba/Addison could be on the team next year.

here are some right shot centers based on ppg this year only:
R.Strome (nyr)
Eichel
Zib (nyr)
E.Lindholm
Toffoli
C.Smith
Schmaltz
C. Blackwell (nyr)
Mason Appleton (wpg)

Sure, some of the names, but beggars can't be choosers either.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
Expose Talbot or Kahkonen? Up to me, I'm keeping Talbot. Kahkonen's a great young goalie but Talbot's a clear #1 at this point and ought to be good for a few more years. If we have to expose Kappo, it wouldn't surprise me if that's who Seattle takes.

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
Expose Talbot or Kahkonen? Up to me, I'm keeping Talbot. Kahkonen's a great young goalie but Talbot's a clear #1 at this point and ought to be good for a few more years. If we have to expose Kappo, it wouldn't surprise me if that's who Seattle takes.
Can't do it. That would be awesome if they took Talbot. Goalies are a dime a dozen right now. He has been great this year and I hope we can keep him but young 1B goalie I am keeping right now.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Khovanov may be the first line center in Iowa by mid-season next year.
We can hope, but Dewar is a fast, smart, skilled guy, and Dumont has been their leading scorer. Shaw is decent, too. Shaw, Giroux, and Dewar can all play C, and are still young, so they will give Khovanov lots of competition.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm with you. I think there would be slight chance that they take KK, a greater one that they take Talbot. Can't believe that some are advocating moving Talbot along, when it's pretty obvious that he has been a major reason for our improvement this year, and at 3.6M to boot.

Reactions: TheSauceBoss

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I'm with you. I think there would be slight chance that they take KK, a greater one that they take Talbot. Can't believe that some are advocating moving Talbot along, when it's pretty obvious that he has been a major reason for our improvement this year, and at 3.6M to boot.

He’ll be 34 by the time of the expansion draft. Got to protect the kid that’s a decade younger imo.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
It's a tough call.

Lots of tough calls this expansion draft. Out of every team in the league, we’re probably the hardest to predict who we’ll lose. Considering we can’t even narrow down the position of the player we’ll lose :laugh:

I could see keeping Talbot around with Jones and Lindberg in our goalie pipeline, but it still makes me somewhat concerned.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't mind Baribeau from what I've seen of him. Has to work on his quickness, but he makes saves, and is enormous.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Lots of tough calls this expansion draft. Out of every team in the league, we’re probably the hardest to predict who we’ll lose. Considering we can’t even narrow down the position of the player we’ll lose :laugh:

I could see keeping Talbot around with Jones and Lindberg in our goalie pipeline, but it still makes me somewhat concerned.

Yeah, I have to agree with you on your point about the expansion draft. I think no matter what happens, and no matter how we "prepare" for it, we're going to lose something that hurts to lose. Everyone wants to predict it as Dumba, and I think the odds are in favor of that, but losing a goalie would suck for us, as would losing Greenway or Soucy. You could trade Dumba in desperation only to later find out that Seattle wasn't even interested in defensemen from Minnesota. As much as I hate the expansion drafts, this one is certainly going to be interesting.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Yeah, I have to agree with you on your point about the expansion draft. I think no matter what happens, and no matter how we "prepare" for it, we're going to lose something that hurts to lose. Everyone wants to predict it as Dumba, and I think the odds are in favor of that, but losing a goalie would suck for us, as would losing Greenway or Soucy. You could trade Dumba in desperation only to later find out that Seattle wasn't even interested in defensemen from Minnesota. As much as I hate the expansion drafts, this one is certainly going to be interesting.
Wild will be fine. Expansion is little different from losing a player to free agency.

If they lose Greenway, you cover it by bringing in Boldy and potentially re-signing Hartman and moving him back to RW on the 3rd line.

If they lose Soucy, you re-sign Cole and add Menell or Addison to the right side.

If they lose Dumba, you move Soucy or Brodin over to right side in the second pair and you add Menell or Addison.

All of those moves help ease the pain of the last 4 years of Parise and Suter's contracts.

I would see if Seattle is willing to take Soucy for a reasonable price, like a 3rd rounder, but otherwise you can control enough to narrow it down to one or two players that you know they are going to take.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I would probably protect Talbot. I just don’t see much from Kahkonen that makes me think he can be an NHL starter. We probably need to draft a goalie with starter potential this year. Cossa is 6’6 and likely to go in the late first round. This team certainly hasn’t helped Talbot as much as teams in previous years would’ve, so it makes what Talbot is doing more impressive.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I would probably protect Talbot. I just don’t see much from Kahkonen that makes me think he can be an NHL starter. We probably need to draft a goalie with starter potential this year. Cossa is 6’6 and likely to go in the late first round. This team certainly hasn’t helped Talbot as much as teams in previous years would’ve, so it makes what Talbot is doing more impressive.
Talbot is the rogue variable. His loss would be quite impactful to the Wild. His play as been excellent and he gives a Wild the ability to compete. Kahkonen also needs more time developing. And, perhaps most importantly, his contract is amazing, and the Wild would probably spend more $$ if they had to replace him with an inferior UFA goalie.

For that reason, I think it is making more sense to ask if Seattle is interested in getting a non-1st pick to pick a particular guy from the Wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad