Speculation: Trade and Free Agency Talk XLIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I do wonder what Danault ends up getting on the open market. I haven't been following him or the Habs this year, but just looking at stats for this year versus the last few:

- His points/game is down (a little)
- His average TOI is down
- He's back to ~60% defensive zone starts (when he'd been closer to 50/50 for his last 4 years in Montreal)

With all that plus a league-wide cap crunch I wonder how much role is going to factor into his choice. Minnesota's probably offering a near-guaranteed top-6 role for 2-3 years on what's already a firm playoff team. I still think he'd be a very good fit here and would give us more flexibility with Rossi.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I do wonder what Danault ends up getting on the open market. I haven't been following him or the Habs this year, but just looking at stats for this year versus the last few:

- He's back to ~60% defensive zone starts (when he'd been closer to 50/50 for his last 4 years in Montreal)

With all that plus a league-wide cap crunch I wonder how much role is going to factor into his choice. Minnesota's probably offering a near-guaranteed top-6 role for 2-3 years on what's already a firm playoff team. I still think he'd be a very good fit here and would give us more flexibility with Rossi.
Outside of the eichel and Barkov talk he makes the most sense of the known available centers out there.

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018

He makes the most sense to me. And, I think we’ll make a ton of sense for him.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
And one's game is severely declining and brings virtually zero offense. The carousel of bottom 6ers continues.

Edit - And if I hear the leadership argument one more time about a declining fossil, I am gonna lose it.

im not saying i want him, im just saying theres a chance he could be better than his stats are showing (like staal when aquired), being that hes been on a terrible team for so long. i guess we will see how he does on his new team.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
im not saying i want him, im just saying theres a chance he could be better than his stats are showing (like staal when aquired), being that hes been on a terrible team for so long. i guess we will see how he does on his new team.

Understood, apologies for the misunderstanding. Maybe he will be better with a better group, interesting to see what happens.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Understood, apologies for the misunderstanding. Maybe he will be better with a better group, interesting to see what happens.

ya im more on the wait and see with him, if he lights it up in toronto, i might take a swing if the price is right kinda thing. either way the guys gotta be better than rask, bonino, or bjugstad

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
In the previous 4 seasons before this messed up year, CBJ has had 4 winning seasons, and beaten TBL and the Leafs in some pretty epic playoff series. They lost their first series in 2016 and 2017 to the eventual Cup Champs. They were not close to being a terrible team.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
You would think it would be easy to guess that with the cap and money problems with the virus some free agents will get surprisingly? Low deals but then again with the expansion will that open lots of cap to spend? Hard to say.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
You would think it would be easy to guess that with the cap and money problems with the virus some free agents will get surprisingly? Low deals but then again with the expansion will that open lots of cap to spend? Hard to say.
Possibly. But Wild would still need to expose Dumba in order to have $$$ to sign Danault.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The combination of a flat cap and bidding against an expansion team does make me worry about putting all of our eggs in the free agency basket.

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Dvorak’s most common linemates this year are Fischer and Crouse and he’s on pace for 44points. Signed for a while too. Something to think about

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I’m still in the “blinded by nostalgia” camp that thinks Granlund could make more sense here on a short-term <$4M contract. Danault’s lack of PP time/success makes me concerned with a longer term commitment at $5M+, especially when he plays a similar style to Ek already. Granlund, on the other hand, is practically a 50% FO guy and has had strong PP performances here. Idk, it just feels like a low-risk, medium-reward type of move. Danault is substantially riskier if it’s going to cost more than 6 years @ $5M+ AAV (reported MTL offer that Danault turned down).

I don’t see Granlund coming back here, but a line of Zucc - Granlund - Kap would be fun to watch. I am curious if BG could have his eyes on RNH since the Oilers have yet to extend him (maybe they’re just leaving him as a UFA for ED reasons?)

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
I’m still in the “blinded by nostalgia” camp that thinks Granlund could make more sense here on a short-term <$4M contract. Danault’s lack of PP time/success makes me concerned with a longer term commitment at $5M+, especially when he plays a similar style to Ek already. Granlund, on the other hand, is practically a 50% FO guy and has had strong PP performances here. Idk, it just feels like a low-risk, medium-reward type of move. Danault is substantially riskier if it’s going to cost more than 6 years @ $5M+ AAV (reported MTL offer that Danault turned down).

I don’t see Granlund coming back here, but a line of Zucc - Granlund - Kap would be fun to watch. I am curious if BG could have his eyes on RNH since the Oilers have yet to extend him (maybe they’re just leaving him as a UFA for ED reasons?)

Granlund wasn't a c, & isn't a c now

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Granlund wasn't a c, & isn't a c now

Was a C for 3 full seasons and was tried out there again the last season that he played here. I don't think he'd struggle with Kap and Zucc on his wings playing a more offensive-oriented game than Yeo's system ever allowed him. This team needs a center that can play on the #1 PP unit, I'm not sure giving a long-term contract to a guy that's barely played on the PP is the answer (Danault).

It's a risk signing Granlund to play a role he hasn't played in a while, but at least he's had a proven track record on the PP and has shown much more offensive talent than Danault. I'm not saying give Granlund a 5 year $5M AAV deal, but a 2-3 year deal @ $3.5-4M? I think the upside is pretty high if he'd take a deal like that.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Was a C for 3 full seasons and was tried out there again the last season that he played here. I don't think he'd struggle with Kap and Zucc on his wings playing a more offensive-oriented game than Yeo's system ever allowed him. This team needs a center that can play on the #1 PP unit, I'm not sure giving a long-term contract to a guy that's barely played on the PP is the answer (Danault).

It's a risk signing Granlund to play a role he hasn't played in a while, but at least he's had a proven track record on the PP and has shown much more offensive talent than Danault. I'm not saying give Granlund a 5 year $5M AAV deal, but a 2-3 year deal @ $3.5-4M? I think the upside is pretty high if he'd take a deal like that.
What makes a center a center is their defensive play. I don’t think that line would score more goals then they would give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->