Speculation: Trade and Free Agency Talk XLIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm getting a total cap hit of 79.7M with including 4M for Rask, and 12 forwards signed, and Kap (8), Fiala (6), Ek (4.5), and only 5 defensemen signed.

We'll lose someone in the ED, so that will clear space for one more contract at least (Hartman's contract would be worth 2 minimum guys, and his is the lowest contract). If Rask is a buyout, that saves 2.66M, which is very valuable.

What are the roster requirements? 23 players?

Max of 23, assuming next year is back to normal, but you can have less if you want/need.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Max of 23, assuming next year is back to normal, but you can have less if you want/need.

Thanks. That means that if those numbers are close, and Rask is a buyout, then you have about 4M of cap space to fill a roster which has 11 forwards and 5 defense under contract. Figure in that someone will be lost to the expansion draft, and there is room for filling in the roster. It gets a little looser yet if anyone besides Hartman is chosen in the ED.

This is not really cap hell. In fact, a real cap hell doesn't exist here unless you try to resign Dumba in 2 more years, while Suter and Parise are still on the books.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Those Kaprizov, Fiala and Eriksson Ek numbers are very close to the ones I'm anticipating as well. Hoping to be a tad high on all them.

You're actually shorting yourself a little bit too, because Sturm and Kahkonen are actually only $725k and Boldy is in the mid $800k range. Probably closer to $2.5M in space.
Realistically, I wouldn’t be suprised if Kaprizov does something closer to Kyle Connor’s number (34+32 @ 22yos when signed) is we dropped the years to 5. Then he’ll probably hit that homerun at 29, whether in FA or here. But, that would give us some space as well. Say Soucy’s the one taken off the roster and Kirill comes in at 7.2, you’ve got 6.5+ free. That’s Danault and change if you play your cards right.

What's your cap?

Last edited by a moderator:

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I have to think that Danault is worth less than he was at the beginning of this season. Feel like his cap is going to be closer to $4M than $5M at this point. On pace for 8 goals and 39 points, which isn’t too much to justify a large contract IMO.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I have to think that Danault is worth less than he was at the beginning of this season. Feel like his cap is going to be closer to $4M than $5M at this point. On pace for 8 goals and 39 points, which isn’t too much to justify a large contract IMO.
I wouldn't want to pay him more than 16m/4yrs. Average players going into their 30's usually get worse, not better. You certainly don't want to pay him more than JEE, who is a guy you want to lock up for as long as you can, assuming it's at a reasonable rate. Something like 8yrs @ 4.75- it depends on whether he values security, or wants to try and reach for max AAV, forgoing long term financial security.

Ideally, he's a great 3C, although I might be underselling him.

Reactions: Spurgeon

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
So, has there been smoke to this Danault fire somewhere? Kind of seems like the general feel around here is there is a good likelihood Guerin makes a play for the guy. I'm not opposed to it, but I guess I haven't seen any sort of indicator to make me think it plays out that he ends up on the Wild.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
So, has there been smoke to this Danault fire somewhere? Kind of seems like the general feel around here is there is a good likelihood Guerin makes a play for the guy. I'm not opposed to it, but I guess I haven't seen any sort of indicator to make me think it plays out that he ends up on the Wild.

Not exactly. Just tying together circumstances.

Reactions: MK9

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I wouldn't want to pay him more than 16m/4yrs. Average players going into their 30's usually get worse, not better. You certainly don't want to pay him more than JEE, who is a guy you want to lock up for as long as you can, assuming it's at a reasonable rate. Something like 8yrs @ 4.75- it depends on whether he values security, or wants to try and reach for max AAV, forgoing long term financial security.

Ideally, he's a great 3C, although I might be underselling him.
For Eriksson Ek?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
More or less it just makes sense. He wants a bigger role. We're one of the few playoff teams that can give him one and have a giant need. Prob best C available. Quality wingers he'd get to play with.

Could be just our wet dreams. And BG has no interest.

Reactions: MK9

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
More or less it just makes sense. He wants a bigger role. We're one of the few playoff teams that can give him one and have a giant need. Prob best C available. Quality wingers he'd get to play with.

Could be just our wet dreams. And BG has no interest.
ehh...he's a good situational C because of his ability to win FO's and his defense. Not the guy you want running an offense, though. He's from Quebec, and married to a Francophone. He's staying Quebec unless we overpay, and he is not a guy I want to be overpaying for. We've got JEE, who is cut from the same cloth, and younger.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Danault has had his role go down this year and his linemates have been producing less, so he’s down a bit in terms of production. He played almost 19 mins a game last year, and is down under 17 this year. 50 point paces the last two years while being a top 5 defensive forward in the world. It’s similar to the Talbot signing in my opinion where we’re in a position to get more value out of him than most of the market. Pay him 5 million to be Colorado’s 3C and he is probably a nice player, but a bit overpaid. pay him 5 million a year to play between Kaprizov and Zuccarello and it’s going to be a good contract. Just turned 28, too. He’s not someone I’d worry about on a 4/5 year deal.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
He is not considered a good option on the PP by MTL fans. That worries me, as that is one of our primary needs. He has one PP goal in his entire career...kind of a mind blowing stat. Projecting him to be an offensive C just because that's what we want him to be strikes me as a wrong headed way of looking at things. That's not what he is. Bonino has had 24 career PP goals, to put Danault's number in perspective.

Reactions: Spurgeon

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
ehh...he's a good situational C because of his ability to win FO's and his defense. Not the guy you want running an offense, though. He's from Quebec, and married to a Francophone. He's staying Quebec unless we overpay, and he is not a guy I want to be overpaying for. We've got JEE, who is cut from the same cloth, and younger.

And Danault is better. If JEE is a really good 3C, Danault sounds like a perfectly acceptable 2C.

He is not considered a good option on the PP by MTL fans. That worries me, as that is one of our primary needs. He has one PP goal in his entire career...kind of a mind blowing stat. Projecting him to be an offensive C just because that's what we want him to be strikes me as a wrong headed way of looking at things. That's not what he is. Bonino has had 24 career PP goals, to put Danault's number in perspective.

Nobody is really doing this, to my knowledge.

Last edited by a moderator:

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
considering the criteria for being in our top powerplay is being able to win a face off, he’s the best center option we’d have. Bonino and Rask are on our top unit right now. Get the puck into Fiala’s hands and let him do the work.

I’m also not saying he’s going to be some superstar point producer. If we can find a 70 point center instead, by all means, do that, but I think he’d be a big upgradeto what we have currently.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Yeah, let's do that-
14th among centers in 5 on 5 points this year.
10th among centers in 5 on 5 points over the last 2 years.
13th among centers in 5 on 5 points over the last 3 years.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
I also don’t think that we NEED an offensive center if Fiala and Kaprizov are capable of driving a line. We just needs centers that can atleast keep up in that department. Rask can’t. Hartman can Kinda, but not consistently. Look at Vegas, they’re top 2 centers are Stephenson and Karlsson. I’d put Danault and Athanasiou in our top 6, let Rossi get a year back in the AHL, and then plan on him coming in the year after. I think Athanasiou would be a good, cheap target. Signed a 1 year, 1.2 million dollar deal with LA. I’d sign him to a 1 year 2-2.5M deal this off-season ( pacing for 46 points this year) and play him down the middle here. Great speed and skill. Would be our Stephenson equivalent. In the scenario that we jettison Rask into the sun for a 2nd, and Seattle takes Soucy in the ED:

Kaprizov-Danault-Zuccarello
Boldy-Athanasiou-Fiala
Foligno-Ek-Greenway
Parise-Hartman-Sturm

Brodin-Dumba
Suter-Spurgeon
Cole-Addison
Menell

Talbot
Kahk

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

There aren't any centers available to run an offense. That's what Kaprizov and Fiala are for. If he was staying in Quebec, he would have signed the offer MTL reportedly gave him.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I also don’t think that we NEED an offensive center if Fiala and Kaprizov are capable of driving a line. We just needs centers that can atleast keep up in that department. Rask can’t. Hartman can Kinda, but not consistently. Look at Vegas, they’re top 2 centers are Stephenson and Karlsson. I’d put Danault and Athanasiou in our top 6, let Rossi get a year back in the AHL, and then plan on him coming in the year after. I think Athanasiou would be a good, cheap target. Signed a 1 year, 1.2 million dollar deal with LA. I’d sign him to a 1 year 2-2.5M deal this off-season ( pacing for 46 points this year) and play him down the middle here. Great speed and skill. Would be our Stephenson equivalent. In the scenario that we jettison Rask into the sun for a 2nd, and Seattle takes Soucy in the ED:

Kaprizov-Danault-Zuccarello
Boldy-Athanasiou-Fiala
Foligno-Ek-Greenway
Parise-Hartman-Sturm

Brodin-Dumba
Suter-Spurgeon
Cole-Addison
Menell

Talbot
Kahk

Isn’t he a winger? Feel like he and Carter were together in the games they played us.

If we’re gonna sign players that are better at wing than center, then I know the perfect candidate. :D

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I'm getting a total cap hit of 79.7M with including 4M for Rask, and 12 forwards signed, and Kap (8), Fiala (6), Ek (4.5), and only 5 defensemen signed.

We'll lose someone in the ED, so that will clear space for one more contract at least (Hartman's contract would be worth 2 minimum guys, and his is the lowest contract). If Rask is a buyout, that saves 2.66M, which is very valuable.

What are the roster requirements? 23 players?
Those seem like rosey or short term numbers for Fiala and Kap.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Isn’t he a winger? Feel like he and Carter were together in the games they played us.

If we’re gonna sign players that are better at wing than center, then I know the perfect candidate. :D
He’s played the wing this year yes. Has played center before in Detroit

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
There aren't any centers available to run an offense. That's what Kaprizov and Fiala are for. If he was staying in Quebec, he would have signed the offer MTL reportedly gave him.
Why not just play JEE on the PP, then? That's what Danault is, with slight differences. At least JEE is just entering his prime, not leaving it like Danault.

As far the contract, there has been recent reporting that he would've signed that contract if it had been offered, but it wasn't. So far, there has been nothing but speculation and rumor regarding the negotiations, which run rampant in a place like MTL when it comes to hockey.

It's not impossible that Danault, and especially, his wife, would come to MN, but it is unlikely. When Francophones choose to leave Quebec, it's usually for warmer climates, not colder, or to a place that offers substantially more $$. I sure don't want to be paying Zuccarello money for Danault, but that's what it would probably take to get him here.

He's a good player, but we have similar in JEE and Sturm.

Last edited:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Why not just play JEE on the PP, then? That's what Danault is, with slight differences. At least JEE is just entering his prime, not leaving it like Danault.

As far the contract, there has been recent reporting that he would've signed that contract if it had been offered, but it wasn't. So far, there has been nothing but speculation and rumor regarding the negotiations, which run rampant in a place like MTL when it comes to hockey.

It's not impossible that Danault, and especially, his wife, would come to MN, but it is unlikely. When Francophones choose to leave Quebec, it's usually for warmer climates, not colder, or to a place that offers substantially more $$. I sure don't want to be paying Zuccarello money for Danault, but that's what it would probably take to get him here.

He's a good player, but we have similar in JEE and Sturm.

Saying that we wouldn't need Danault because we have Sturm is ridiculous on its own, but why not add a good player to 2 other good players? Especially since there is nothing above those 2 players preventing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad