Speculation: Trade and Free Agency Talk XLIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Maybe the real question in the whole matter is....
exactly how much depth do we have coming through the pipeline at Defense?

Monahan looks to be a 60-70 pt Center, at 6.4M. That's a similar cap hit to Dumba. So, something has to shed, but we will lose Rask and several others off the roster, so maybe that's ok. He will be due one more big contract, however.

For example....
Dumba + Beckman for Monahan.
Now, in the ED....
7-3-1 and you likely lose Soucy (protect Parise, Zucc, Fiala, Monahan, JEE, Greenway, plus?? and there is no way Seattle takes the 8th forward)....
4-4-1 and you lose JEE very likely.
Losing JEE is not a good thing methinks.

So, without Dumba and without Soucy....what does the future look like at defense?
The defense looks perfectly fine without them.

suter - spurgeon
Brodin - menell/Addison
Cole/FA - menell Addison

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
So, without Dumba and without Soucy....what does the future look like at defense?

Suter - Spurgeon
Brodin - Addison
Cole - Menell

I’ve been impressed enough with Cole that I don’t think he’d be a significant downgrade from Soucy, especially if he’s coming in at a cheaper contract. It really comes down to what kind of players Addison and Menell can be at the NHL level. I think Suter, Brodin, and Spurgeon are strong enough defensemen to shelter any early struggles they’re bound to have.

That’s still a pretty significant downgrade of our defense though overall. Still, I’m not completely convinced that Seattle is taking Soucy over Talbot or Foligno in that scenario.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Maybe the real question in the whole matter is....
exactly how much depth do we have coming through the pipeline at Defense?

Monahan looks to be a 60-70 pt Center, at 6.4M. That's a similar cap hit to Dumba. So, something has to shed, but we will lose Rask and several others off the roster, so maybe that's ok. He will be due one more big contract, however.

For example....
Dumba + Beckman for Monahan.
Now, in the ED....
7-3-1 and you likely lose Soucy (protect Parise, Zucc, Fiala, Monahan, JEE, Greenway, plus?? and there is no way Seattle takes the 8th forward)....
4-4-1 and you lose JEE very likely.
Losing JEE is not a good thing methinks.

Brodin-Addison
Suter-Mennell
FA/Cole-Spurgeon

All three units play evenly. You can swap Brodin with Suter and Addison with Mennell too. But that's more or less what we'd prob see.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If he were a wing, you'd have a point but alas, he is a Center whose played zero wing all season.
And on top of that, he can win a FO.

BTW, besides our appreciation for a certain Swedish Defenseman and Seattle, we have something else in common. My wife also doesn't give a shit about the Center position on the Wild! I mean, what are the odds?

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Centers who can’t skate, can’t defend, and cannot control the play move to wing. Calgary is just not a good franchise to understand this and wanted to hold onto this notion that Monahan is something he’s not.

That is a large reason why they are where they are, have gone nowhere with some supposed quality pieces, and why Monahan will be moved this offseason in hopes of getting value before his continues to plummet.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
You , & others are so desperate for a c that you are willing to put all egg in one basket

Sean Monahan plays with Johnny Gaudreau, & both of them have been trending downward especially Monahan for years

He isn't tops on my list, but to say he "isn't good" is pretty much nonsense.

He's a heck of a lot higher on my list than 'handing Dumba to Seattle' is though.

Monahan would be play with the guy that you wouldn't trade for Eichel here. So it'd be fine.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
We've got some really good defenseman, good goalies, and some terrific defensive forwards. I'd be down with taking a walk on the wild side and getting a Center who is a proven scorer, and wins FO's, even if he is a bit iffy defensively. We are playing Bonino and Rask on our #1 PP.... it's not like we are replacing a pair of even moderate offensive talents.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
He isn't tops on my list, but to say he "isn't good" is pretty much nonsense.

He's a heck of a lot higher on my list than 'handing Dumba to Seattle' is though.

Monahan would be play with the guy that you wouldn't trade for Eichel here. So it'd be fine.
Wild do not need to hand Dumba to Seattle. They can protect him with a little internal work.

But then Wild just need to get comfortable with putting Rossi and one more low cost center on the team, and then figuring out how to make Parise LTIR by the time the Wild need to re-sign Boldy, Rossi, etc.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
I am wondering more about the expansion draft.....

Let's assume that BG can trade Dumba for some 2/3C and some pieces.

Draft rules say that you have to expose 2 forwards with service time...

So, under 7-3-1, we would protect:
Zucc, Parise, Fiala, Erickson Ek, probably the 2/3C we got in return from the Dumba trade, Foligno and Greenway.

Is the way everyone else sees it?

If so, who do you select if you are Seattle?
The best options left among the forwards would be Hartman and Sturm, and then there is Soucy.

I'm really starting to like Sturm, and so a forward bunch like this seems good to me:
Centers: Rossi, Ek, Dumba trade, Sturm
Wings: Zucc & Kap; Foligno & Greenway; Parise & Bonino; Hartman & ???
Rask has to stay on the roster one more year (good luck trading him away), but he acts as insurance for Rossi in some ways.

I actually think I like this roster, and that's done under the assumption that Soucy is gone. If Strum is chosen instead, then I really like our defense, and the forwards take a small hit.

What does anyone else get?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Bonino is a FA, as is Hartman and Bjugstad. If they re-sign Hartman, then he and Rask would be exposed. I hope they don't re-sign Bonino or Bjugstad. I guess I am assuming that Parise waives, which might be a mistake.

Boldy should be on the roster next year, but leaves us short a winger or two.

Last edited:

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Bonino is a FA, as is Hartman and Bjugstad. If they re-sign Hartman, then he and Rask would be exposed. I hope they don't re-sign Bonino or Bjugstad.

Boldy should be on the roster next year.

Is it correct that Johanson, Bonino, Bjugstad, Hartman.....as well as Fiala and Ek (plus Cole) are all FAs?

I'm assuming there is no interest in re-signing Bjugstad or Johanson, and that Fiala and Ek are "must sign" situations. Also, Cole could be resigned, for probably less than he currently being paid.

If Bonino is not re-signed, then "whatever", or you put in the peanuts you got back from the Dumba deal (because a 2/3C shouldn't quite be enough for a Dumba trade.)

Point being, at that time, the options for Seattle do NOT really include Rask because they have no use for him, so it would come down to Soucy, Hartman, or Sturm.

And, the roster which is left looks pretty good, really. If Seattle takes Soucy (likely in this case), then the Wild Defense is weakened, but the forwards really look good, and are well pointed to the future, as only Zucc and Parise would be grey-beards.

ETA: I missed adding Boldy to the forward list....
Centers: Rossi, Dumba trade, Sturm, Erickson-Ek....+ Rask
Wings: Zucc & Kap, Greenway & Foligno, Parise, Boldy, Hartman, ???

Given what we have seen recently in Sturm, I would be happy with that, I think.

ETA2: If Parise waives, all the better. I would still do the Dumba trade, and that way Soucy is almost sure to be taken.

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Is it correct that Johanson, Bonino, Bjugstad, Hartman.....as well as Fiala and Ek (plus Cole) are all FAs?

I'm assuming there is no interest in re-signing Bjugstad or Johanson, and that Fiala and Ek are "must sign" situations. Also, Cole could be resigned, for probably less than he currently being paid.

If Bonino is not re-signed, then "whatever", or you put in the peanuts you got back from the Dumba deal (because a 2/3C shouldn't quite be enough for a Dumba trade.)

Point being, at that time, the options for Seattle do NOT really include Rask because they have no use for him, so it would come down to Soucy, Hartman, or Sturm.

And, the roster which is left looks pretty good, really. If Seattle takes Soucy (likely in this case), then the Wild Defense is weakened, but the forwards really look good, and are well pointed to the future, as only Zucc and Parise would be grey-beards.
I think Fiala, Hartman, and JEE are RFA's, and yes, the others will likely be FA's. Soucy might get taken, but I think that Seattle will have a lot of Dmen like that to choose from, partly because of the ED rules which will expose a lot of #4, 5,and 6 Dmen. If we don't find a way to protect Sturm, I think he will be taken over a guy like Hartman, if he continues to play like he is at C. C's with size, speed, two way ability and modest contracts are nice to have around. If we ever get to a spot where JEE and Sturm are our bottom two C's then we will be in a good spot.

Last edited:

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Good thing we have a better winger to elevate him then

Okay honest question do you want cancer like him in the lockeroom?

It's been talked about on NHL Network that Calgary has had numerous coaching changes, & including recently to Former Darrell S, & Monahan, & Johnny G has been huge problems in the lockeroom, & off.

Johnny G even went public & bashed the new coach saying he doesn't care for playing in the new coach contract, & basically do whatever he wants

With Monahan, apparently he's not giving any effort on ice, / during games, & he also went public with the fact he sees himself as a superstar, & how their coach new one can't expect him , & Johnny to play well defensively either

NHL network Kevin weeks, former Canucks player whose retired bashed Sean Monahan, & Johnny G on air.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Go for Larkin.

JEE
Menell
1st

Then move Dumba to replace the 1st and prospect.

Dumba

Prospect
1st 2022 or 2023

Larkin, Fiala, Greenway, Sturm Foligno, Zuccerello, Parise

Suter, Brodin, Spurgeon

KK

Soucy picked.

Zucc Larkin Kaprizov
Boldy Rossi/Rask Fiala
Greenway Hartman Foligno
Parise Sturm xxxxx

Suter Spurgeon
Brodin xxxx
Cole Addison

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Okay honest question do you want cancer like him in the lockeroom?

It's been talked about on NHL Network that Calgary has had numerous coaching changes, & including recently to Former Darrell S, & Monahan, & Johnny G has been huge problems in the lockeroom, & off.

Johnny G even went public & bashed the new coach saying he doesn't care for playing in the new coach contract, & basically do whatever he wants

With Monahan, apparently he's not giving any effort on ice, / during games, & he also went public with the fact he sees himself as a superstar, & how their coach new one can't expect him , & Johnny to play well defensively either

NHL network Kevin weeks, former Canucks player whose retired bashed Sean Monahan, & Johnny G on air.
The same coach who got locked out of the room by his players in la? Yeah I’m not worried

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Foligno not getting enough attention as a Seattle target. He’s always had great underlying numbers and intangibles and this season he is scoring at a career high rate. Feels like everyone is assuming we lose Soucy, but Foligno has to be someone they take a hard look at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad