Trade and Free Agency Discussion Thread - Don't Expect More Augmenting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Always good to poach from the one other NHL team in the league that hasn't won a playoff series since the first lockout... :sarcasm:

A deeper look into the situation would lead you to the fact that he's part of the group known as the 'computer boys' that, in 16-17, signed Barkov and Huberdeau to extensions, signed Marchessault, traded for Rielly Smith, traded Gudbranson, and were clearing cap space to make an offer sheet to Kucherov.

Reactions: Cor

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Reimer and Bibeau... they just need Bernier and Sparks to complete their 2015/16 Collection of Leafs Goalies...

They love their Leafs;

-Tomas Kaberle
-Jay Harrison
-Mike Komisarek
-Jiri Tlusty
-Kris Versteeg
-John Michael Liles
-Lee Stempniak
-Jay McClement
-Curtis McElinney
-Greg McKegg
-James Reimer
-Jake Gardiner
-Patrick Marleau
-David Ayers

and now Jeremy Bracco and Antonie Bibeau

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Doubtlessly that Feschuk article is about generating outrage, I suppose in both directions, that's what the news has become.

It still doesn't mean there isn't a grain of truth in the sniping article. You ask yourself what you'd think if one or more of your well-compensated work teammates appeared to mail it in during a big game. As I stated previously, I believe Dubas' naivety regarding human nature has been a bit of an Achilles' heel for him.

In my opinion, these giant contracts have worked when the stars are unquestionable game changers. I don't even think it's fair to suggest any of Matthews/Marner/Tavares aren't potential game changers but I believe there's 1 too many of them forcing too many departures of players who had appeared to be long term Leafs.

It should be granted that when Dubas embarked on this strategy the assumption was that there would be an ever rising salary cap, that $11M aav would be a modest salary in 4 years' time. Classic market error to assume endless continuous growth. That's never been how the world works. There were close to half of the NHL in financial trouble in the mid to late 1990's due to an economic downturn and bad exchange rate. Montreal of all places had trouble finding someone to buy the franchise.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Classic market error to assume endless continuous growth. That's never been how the world works.
The cap has risen consistently for its entire existence, even through one of the biggest global recessions in decades, and even the most pessimistic projections had the cap rising significantly in coming years. It is not an error just because he didn't somehow convince everybody to suddenly and arbitrarily do business as if the biggest global pandemic in a century was coming and would change how the NHL operates.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
A deeper look into the situation would lead you to the fact that he's part of the group known as the 'computer boys' that, in 16-17, signed Barkov and Huberdeau to extensions, signed Marchessault, traded for Rielly Smith, traded Gudbranson, and were clearing cap space to make an offer sheet to Kucherov.

Was he part of the group that allowed Vegas to take Smith and Marchessault in the expansion draft?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
A part of me feels like the reason Dermott isn't locked up yet is because he's involved in a deal for Weegar

“Hi Eric, welcome to the organization, here’s your of-“

“WHYD YOU TURN DOWN OUR OFFER KYLE”

Reactions: Madap

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
They love their Leafs;

-Tomas Kaberle
-Jay Harrison
-Mike Komisarek
-Jiri Tlusty
-Kris Versteeg
-John Michael Liles
-Lee Stempniak
-Jay McClement
-Curtis McElinney
-Greg McKegg
-James Reimer
-Jake Gardiner
-Patrick Marleau
-David Ayers

and now Jeremy Bracco and Antonie Bibeau

That explains Carolina's lack of success in the ~2010-2018 stretch if they kept trying to improve their team with former Leafs from those years...

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Tallon did that.

Joyce is apparently one of the guys that got pushed to the side and ignored when Tallon took over

Was Tallon there in 16/17 cause if he was not and then he approved the loss of those players to Vegas in the expansion draft, then Tallon is much worse than I thought he was.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Was Tallon there in 16/17 cause if he was not and then he approved the loss of those players to Vegas in the expansion draft, then Tallon is much worse than I thought he was.

Apparently Tallon did it to spite the guys that were brought in to micro-manage him. Or so the story goes.

I hope this Joyce guy is good and wasn't just a nepotism hire by Viola, who loves his West Pointers.

Vinnie Viola actually designed the current Panthers logo after the 101st Airborne insignia.

florida_panthers_2016-logo_design_by_reebok.png

size0.jpg

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Tallon has been with the Panthers since 2011 or something.

he was removed as GM for the 16-17 season but then named GM again once the season was over before the draft and expansion

Reactions: ToneDog

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

If people thought AJ and Kap were overpaid, can’t see how’s they’d like this Brown deal

Returns and "stats" aside, all 3 are completely replaceable, run of the mill, middle 6 forwards that are easy to draft in mid-late rounds, acquire via trade, or sign as ufas.

Out: Johnson, Kapanen, Brown
In: Robertson, Barbanov, Engvall, Vessey, Thornton, Anderson <--- This could be our bottom 6 and make probably 50% of what Johnsson, Kapanen, and Brown cost. I suspect they would/will put up just as good if not better numbers and "stats"

Regarding Brown's contract, in an environment where the cap is not a significant factor, Brown is probably paid fair for a middle 6 winger imo. The problem is most teams are tight against the cap so if he was on probably 20 other teams, he would not have that contract I bet. I always liked Brown. More so than Kapanen and Johnsson so I am happy he is doing well and getting paid.

Reactions: Brobust
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA