Trade and Free Agency Discussion Thread - Don't Expect More Augmenting

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
It would restrict our ability to go 4+4 in expansion, but if we could leverage Brown signing that coming the season he did + the pandemic and get Hyman to sign something similar it would be nice peace of mind

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Raised the possibility of potential player resentment if the stars do not perform and was told players do not care about money, fans do.

The Maple Leafs’ salary gap could divide the dressing room if the stars don’t earn their keep

This was discussed on First up this morning. Poulin told of some of his experiences in his day. Anybody remember when a drafted player just coming into the league and was paid more than anybody on the team? This was changed in the CBA and is the reason for ELC.
Non issue IMO, when the highest paid are also your best players.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Hard to over pay Soup and Dermy when there isn't much in the cupboard. The question is how much is Soup going to command once that deal and this pandemic are done ?

Hard to say at the moment. There is a lot of variables. Especially the cap/ covid... and Soups performance... but I think he'll at least live up to that salary for now.

A lot can happen in a couple of years. If the Leafs don't get past the first round this year though than you would think one of the main 4 goes. Then the situation with cap is very different.

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007

Feschuk is a hack. Certain members of the media are just looking for drama where there is none, he's one of them. I'm pretty sure if any of the younger stars let their salary dictate how they dealt with the veterans, Dubas and Co. would be handling that pretty swiftly. Not to mention, Jumbo Joe wouldn't stand for it either. I'm fully expecting him to step in and be the vocal captain of this team. Hopefully they remove the A from Marner and give it to Jumbo. Takes some pressure off Mitch as well.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Hopefully they remove the A from Marner and give it to Jumbo. Takes some pressure off Mitch as well.

Lol there would be a certain symbolism there given the history of Joe taking a letter from someone whose name starts with "Mar" whose lack of engagement seems to have started to bleed into his protege.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Lol there would be a certain symbolism there given the history of Joe taking a letter from someone whose name starts with "Mar" whose lack of engagement seems to have started to bleed into his protege.

Removing the "A" from Mitch would be dumb and I doubt Joe would be in on it. Mitch offerring it would be different and I doubt Joe accepts it.

Reactions: ACC1224

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Removing the "A" from Mitch would be dumb and I doubt Joe would be in on it. Mitch offerring it would be different and I doubt Joe accepts it.

Oh I doubt it happens. Just saying that it would mirror Thornton taking the C from Marleau in San Jose, with the implication that we want to shift from Marleau's stoic professionalism + apathy towards team success leadership to something more fiery.

Reactions: ToneDog

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Brodie is not a river boat gambler.
Barrie had no clue how to play defense.

Brodie also wants to be here. I feel like Barrie had one foot out the door from the time the trade was announced. Brodie is someone I wanted on the leafs for a few seasons now. I think he is really going to fit it.

There was discussion a bit back about about Rielly-Muzzin-Brodie being 1s, 2s, 3s. I think the important thing is they are all universally top 4 defenseman on every NHL team. It has been a while since we had at least that. We don't necessarily need a Weber or Doughty if we can put together 6 solid NHL defenseman, play better defense as a team and do it by committee. (Prime Doughty/Weber would be nice though)

Thornton and Spezza have made their money. They could have both easily retired several years ago if they wanted to. They are not playing for money. Besides an opportunity to play for a cup, they are also paying forward their experience which hopefully the kids will do when their time comes. I also could easily see both of Thornton and Speeza getting roles with the Leafs once they do decide to retire.

As for the rest of the team, literally every player is a millionaire in their early 20s if not younger. They may not be making $10 million/year but I don't think they are stressing out having to buy their own steak when the team goes to Harbour 60. The league has always had disparity between the star salary, the journeyman salary, and the middle of the pack guys.

Some of these Toronto Journalists are terrible. Their job is to report news based on fact. Not insight drama and speculate on garbage.

All things considered, as Leaf fans we should feel good going into the 2021 season. We have just about everyone signed and are cap compliant. We added where we needed to add and are generally much improved.

horner

May 22, 2007
Brodie also wants to be here. I feel like Barrie had one foot out the door from the time the trade was announced. Brodie is someone I wanted on the leafs for a few seasons now. I think he is really going to fit it.

There was discussion a bit back about about Rielly-Muzzin-Brodie being 1s, 2s, 3s. I think the important thing is they are all universally top 4 defenseman on every NHL team. It has been a while since we had at least that. We don't necessarily need a Weber or Doughty if we can put together 6 solid NHL defenseman, play better defense as a team and do it by committee. (Prime Doughty/Weber would be nice though)

Thornton and Spezza have made their money. They could have both easily retired several years ago if they wanted to. They are not playing for money. Besides an opportunity to play for a cup, they are also paying forward their experience which hopefully the kids will do when their time comes. I also could easily see both of Thornton and Speeza getting roles with the Leafs once they do decide to retire.

As for the rest of the team, literally every player is a millionaire in their early 20s if not younger. They may not be making $10 million/year but I don't think they are stressing out having to buy their own steak when the team goes to Harbour 60. The league has always had disparity between the star salary, the journeyman salary, and the middle of the pack guys.

Some of these Toronto Journalists are terrible. Their job is to report news based on fact. Not insight drama and speculate on garbage.

All things considered, as Leaf fans we should feel good going into the 2021 season. We have just about everyone signed and are cap compliant. We added where we needed to add and are generally much improved.
Some players without skilled talent will also reap the rewards.
Put your stick on the ice go to the net and the miliionars will give you a tap in .
Yes the lesser light will make there money of the Tavares, Mathews Marner and Nylander.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Soup at 1.645 x 2 >>>> brown at 3.6 x 3

When we look back at the deal, yes, we will probably get more value out of Soup @ $1.645, than Ottawa will at Brown @ $3.6....

But, let's not pretend that Brown hasn't earned that contract. 43 point player last year, in 71 games... so pacing for nearly 50 points, and heart and soul guy, who gives maximum effort all the time. He actually led the Senators in Ice time last year, for forwards, he is on their PP, and top PK forward for them.... so he's deserved this. His pay is in line with what Kap and Johnsson earned for their similar contracts...it's just that we can't afford such players anymore, and Ottawa can. Also, Soup is unique, in having only played 39 games in the NHL. If Soup plays all the games last year, and ends up in the 40 point range... we sure wouldn't have got him on that contract... I hate to say it, but that injury was lucky for us.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
It would restrict our ability to go 4+4 in expansion, but if we could leverage Brown signing that coming the season he did + the pandemic and get Hyman to sign something similar it would be nice peace of mind

I believe Hyman won't turn out to be a problem to sign. And not because he couldn't leverage the hell out of the Leafs. I believe Hyman is able to think beyond his contract with the Leafs. Zach Hyman probably knows that there's a lot of future opportunity and money to lose not being a Toronto Maple Leaf. As I posted before, I believe Zach Hyman will one day be high up in MLSE management.

Reactions: 4thline

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I believe Hyman won't turn out to be a problem to sign. And not because he couldn't leverage the hell out of the Leafs. I believe Hyman is able to think beyond his contract with the Leafs. Zach Hyman probably knows that there's a lot of future opportunity and money to lose not being a Toronto Maple Leaf. As I posted before, I believe Zach Hyman will one day be high up in MLSE management.

Completely agree. Really smart guy that bleeds blue and comes from a place of complete financial security. That's a great recipe for a nice deal.
I think it goes beyond opportunity and money, from the outside it seems like his hockey dreams/goals are Leaf specific.

Reactions: justashadowof

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
When we look back at the deal, yes, we will probably get more value out of Soup @ $1.645, than Ottawa will at Brown @ $3.6....

But, let's not pretend that Brown hasn't earned that contract. 43 point player last year, in 71 games... so pacing for nearly 50 points, and heart and soul guy, who gives maximum effort all the time. He actually led the Senators in Ice time last year, for forwards, he is on their PP, and top PK forward for them.... so he's deserved this. His pay is in line with what Kap and Johnsson earned for their similar contracts...it's just that we can't afford such players anymore, and Ottawa can. Also, Soup is unique, in having only played 39 games in the NHL. If Soup plays all the games last year, and ends up in the 40 point range... we sure wouldn't have got him on that contract... I hate to say it, but that injury was lucky for us.

Yeah I can't say I disagree. Good points, and nothing against Brown. Hes a solid player.

I just have a good feeling Mik has a little more upside and can make some high end plays. At least that's my hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad