Trade and Free Agency Discussion Thread - Don't Expect More Augmenting

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm willing to bet Wayne will be our net-front guy on the #1 PP. Keep in mind that it's not just about offensive talent - you need guys to play certain roles on the PP - and Wayne is the best guy we have at bringing the net-front presence (he's done it his whole career and has been very effective in the role).

I anticipate PP1 will have Wayne in front, Matthews and JT sniping from the circles and Mitch up top. Pp2 will have Nylander and Spezza sniping from the circles, Joe up top and either Hyman or Vesey (probably Vesey) in front. Kerfoot will sub-in when Joe/Spezza are out.

Tavares is great at it. I don't think they are removing any of the guys off the #1 unit.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Tavares is great at it. I don't think they are removing any of the guys off the #1 unit.

They should at least move Marner and Nylander to switch spots on the PP. Have Nylander on the outside since his shot is so much better and Marner in the high bumper spot.

Subway Schenn

Jun 24, 2018
London, UK
I personally had to eat some humble pie thinking that Tyson Barrie @50% retained would be amazing for the leafs this year. I think dubas and his staff are generally above average talent evaluators and trusted them and Barrie’s name value...but damn he was a huge letdown

Night and day reactions from Avs and Flames fans at the departures of Barrie and Brodie. Brodie should be a much better fit.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

JT was more of a bumper role rather than what Simmonds will d0. I agree JT was the best one we had last year at this, so we used him, but now we got another guy who is one of the best and has done it his whole career. And it's never ideal to have your superstar $11 mil C be the guy absorbing the punishment and the slapshots in front of the net.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I personally had to eat some humble pie thinking that Tyson Barrie @50% retained would be amazing for the leafs this year. I think dubas and his staff are generally above average talent evaluators and trusted them and Barrie’s name value...but damn he was a huge letdown

Non-Leafs players barely face any scrutiny. Something to remember.

Reactions: chamchibap

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Just two months until the world juniors at least. McKenzie seems to think Leafs will let Robertson go. We could have 5 or so prospects there this year, which is exciting.
I don't see why they wouldn't let him go seeing as we are deep with wingers fighting for spots. Let him light up the tournament and come back with a huge confidence boost.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

I think the talent was there, the fit with Babcock wasn't. I definitely overrated Barrie's skillset and decision-making in the offensive zone, but his transition skating was exactly as advertised once he was actually allowed to skate with the puck. We just didn't commit to having him be our main transition player after his shaky start.

It's still mindblowing that Babcock would take a guy who's 5\10 at just about every important skill as a defenseman and decide to not let him do the only thing he's 10/10 at.

Last edited:

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
A:
RIELLY - - BRODIE
MUZZIN - - - HOLL
DERMOTT - BOGO
LEHTONEN
B:
RIELLY - - - BRODIE
MUZZIN - DERMOTT
LEHTONEN - - HOLL
BOGOSIAN

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Lehtonen didn't sign here to play with the Marlies for 70k. Jokerit is a better team and probably pays more. He's on the team. Engvall in the minors clears the more (1.075) cap space than Lehtonen (0.925) or Vesey (0.900) would anyhow, even when you account for his (0.175) hit that stays on the cap. I think he's back in the minors.

He's definitely on the roster at least to start the season ( same with Barabanov)

To not do so would severely harm the teams ability to sign future khl free agents. Plus I suspect he's going to be a pretty good player too, so there won't be a need.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I went roster to roster and picked out all the defensemen that I would take ahead of Rielly, and there were 19. He's easily a #1 defenseman, but he's not a particularly good one.

I had 51 ahead of Brodie, and 47 ahead of Muzzin, making them both mid- to low-end #2s.

Jives with my thoughts. I've said repeatedly on here that I believe Rielly is closer to a 1 than a 2

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I think the talent was there, the fit with Babcock wasn't. I definitely overrated Barrie's skillset and decision-making in the offensive zone, but his transition skating was exactly as advertised once he was actually allowed to skate with the puck. We just didn't commit to having him be our main transition player after his shaky start
+1 to this.
I believe that if Barrie had started his leaf tenure playing for Keefe as opposed to Babcock, he'd probably still be a leaf today as the reception would have been much more positive.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
His girlfriend allegedly made comments directed towards Karlsson after the loss of their child.

That makes it sound like one insensitive mistake. His girlfriend apparently stalked Karlsson's wife all over social media with scores of messages eventually leading to a restraining order being filed. And this was collaborated by the significant others' of Karlsson's teammates.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The way I see it if Freddy struggles, we will be one of those teams that has fallen out of the playoffs.
Highly unlikely. Andersen just struggled heavily and had the worst season of his career, and the Leafs had their backup playing as one of the worst goalies in the league until Campbell, and they were still on pace to make the playoffs with a heavily-injured roster that even when healthy, is likely worse than the one we have going into next season.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

I think we all knew Barrie wasn't stylistically an optimal addition, but as a pretty big name RHD, we were still optimistic that he had to be better than what we'd had previously...

We'll, unfortunately Babcock misused him, but even under Keefe where he was contributing more, his inability to defend at 5 on 5 just makes him a liability.

I really don't get how some players can be such great skaters and puck movers, suggesting good vision on the ice, but be such trainwrecks in their own end.

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Raised the possibility of potential player resentment if the stars do not perform and was told players do not care about money, fans do.

The Maple Leafs’ salary gap could divide the dressing room if the stars don’t earn their keep

This was discussed on First up this morning. Poulin told of some of his experiences in his day. Anybody remember when a drafted player just coming into the league and was paid more than anybody on the team? This was changed in the CBA and is the reason for ELC.

Last edited:

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Raised the possibility of potential player resentment if the stars do not perform and was told players do not care about money, fans do.

The Maple Leafs’ salary gap could divide the dressing room if the stars don’t earn their keep

This was discussed on First up this morning. Poulin told of some of his experiences in his day. Anybody remember when a drafted player just coming into the league and was paid more than anybody on the team? This was changed in the CBA and is the reason for ELC.

Yeah, let's have a serious discussion about some Dave Feschuk garbage.

Reactions: Nooodles
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln