Trade and Free Agency Discussion Thread - Don't Expect More Augmenting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015

Funny that around half of those 5 on 5 points (35) are from Brown and I'm guessing the tweet is trying to show that Brown got a bad contract and yet he produced almost as many 5 on 5 points as Nylander last year (38).

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Funny that around half of those 5 on 5 points (35) are from Brown and I'm guessing the tweet is trying to show that Brown got a bad contract and yet he produced almost as many 5 on 5 points as Nylander last year (38).

I'm guessing you may not like Nylander but at Nylanders price and Browns price... im easy taking Nylander. He's 24 with a 31 goal season and going into prime years. Unless Brown has a massive uptick which is doubtful... its not close.

I also looked at these stats as how people are freaking out Simmonds and Thornton will be terrible and can't come even close to that production.

No Spezza, Thornton, and Simmonds won't do what the other 3 do at this point... but it's not as bad as some people think. They're on league min contracts too. Easy to move guys around or bring up young guys. It's good to have competition and vets with voices in the room to give the young guys a kick in the ass when they need it.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Florida fan here: Joyce should be fine in your role: clearly he got the analytics right on some moves (he wanted Barzal over Crouse) and found Marchessault. The Pysyk trade was pretty good I must say.

What Florida fans did not like about him is two fold: first he was an atrocious GM for our AHL team and prospects haven’t developed. Second he undervalued how players played with each other (and in the locker room) and hence we had some major issues in 2016-2017 when he and Rowe blew up the D/locker room after a great season.

If the goal is identifying undervalued players to sign, he’s great but I’d be more worried if he actively chooses the entire team

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
The stories posted make Joyce out to be the conduit between the stat guys and eye test guys, rather than being one or the other himself. Florida did a terrible job meshing the two sides, but it's unclear whether that falls on Joyce or Viola.

Similarly, Shanahan transitioned from Lamoriello to Dubas and pitted Dubas and Hunter against each other.

Neither worked very well and left both franchises spinning their wheels without a concise direction.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I'm guessing you may not like Nylander but at Nylanders price and Browns price... im easy taking Nylander. He's 24 with a 31 goal season and going into prime years. Unless Brown has a massive uptick which is doubtful... its not close.

I also looked at these stats as how people are freaking out Simmonds and Thornton will be terrible and can't come even close to that production.

No Spezza, Thornton, and Simmonds won't do what the other 3 do at this point... but it's not as bad as some people think. They're on league min contracts too. Easy to move guys around or bring up young guys. It's good to have competition and vets with voices in the room to give the young guys a kick in the ass when they need it.
I am a big Nylander fan and would obviously take him over Brown. I was just trying to show that Brown was not way overpaid like people seem to be trying to insinuate.

To me the fact it included Brown, a player who wasn't even on the team last year so the production argument is confusing, and was tweeted directly after the Brown contract makes me think it is about his contract (+ Kaps/AJs) relative to those other guys.

Personally I'm a fan of every signing/trade made this summer perhaps other than giving Simmonds 1.5 million with full NMC as all the Sabres/Devils fans i talked to last year said he was washed up. I really hope I'm wrong as he can't be buried or traded anywhere.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
That Brown deal is fine. A useful player and seemed like a nice guy. Though on a good team he likely wouldn't be getting that level of offensive opportunity. Regardless happy for him

That Virtanen deal is ify...

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I am a big Nylander fan and would obviously take him over Brown. I was just trying to show that Brown was not way overpaid like people seem to be trying to insinuate.

To me the fact it included Brown, a player who wasn't even on the team last year so the production argument is confusing, and was tweeted directly after the Brown contract makes me think it is about his contract (+ Kaps/AJs) relative to those other guys.

Personally I'm a fan of every signing/trade made this summer perhaps other than giving Simmonds 1.5 million with full NMC as all the Sabres/Devils fans i talked to last year said he was washed up. I really hope I'm wrong as he can't be buried or traded anywhere.

Yeah using Brown is a stretch but his production is relatively the same in Ottawa and he had more ice time.

I am guessing he was just trying to say hypothetically if they were a line opposed to these other lines at a certain cap hit... the bang for your buck isn't as far off as some think.

Anyway you were saying all that... and I agree I like most of the moves too. I was surprised at Simmonds no move clause too but hopefully he has some life left.

Definitely looking forward to the new look. I think this training camp if all goes well is going to be a good fight between a lot of guys.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
The stories posted make Joyce out to be the conduit between the stat guys and eye test guys, rather than being one or the other himself. Florida did a terrible job meshing the two sides, but it's unclear whether that falls on Joyce or Viola.

Similarly, Shanahan transitioned from Lamoriello to Dubas and pitted Dubas and Hunter against each other.

Neither worked very well and left both franchises spinning their wheels without a concise direction.

Pretty sure the leafs have a direction. Every passing day it becomes clearer and clearer that the leafs cap is impeccably managed, or close to it, and flexible while their drafts have continued to fill the cupboard with prospects on positive development trajectories.

The leafs mistakes over the past two years have been backup goaltending and Tyson Barrie. So backup goaltending and $2.5M rental who wasn't even their 1st preference.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Is Sami Vatanen bad now? How is he unsigned?

He’s not bad, he’s just not very good.

Like, I feel like most teams have their own Vatanen internally.

I think I saw somewhere the Ducks might be interested in bringing him back

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Yeah using Brown is a stretch but his production is relatively the same in Ottawa and he had more ice time.

I am guessing he was just trying to say hypothetically if they were a line opposed to these other lines at a certain cap hit... the bang for your buck isn't as far off as some think.

Anyway you were saying all that... and I agree I like most of the moves too. I was surprised at Simmonds no move clause too but hopefully he has some life left.

Definitely looking forward to the new look. I think this training camp if all goes well is going to be a good fight between a lot of guys.
Ya what is interesting is Brown's per 60 production stayed pretty constant during his time in toronto his ice time just plummeted.

Agreed, Thorton if on PP1 could be one of the better points per dollar (non ELC contract) in the league. Plus AJ missed significant time so it is a pretty lazy comparison in general.

Yup, perhaps with limited 4th line ice time he will still have enough left for 1 more season. Im excited for the addition of Brodie but also just the overall depth all over the roster.

Reactions: Burnie97

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He’s not bad, he’s just not very good.

Like, I feel like most teams have their own Vatanen internally.

I think I saw somewhere the Ducks might be interested in bringing him back

He'd be a good buy low candidate, he can play on the 2nd pair in a pinch and run a PP unit

We can't fit him in but if we didn't have Lehtonen or Bogo I'd be keen on giving him a cheap short contract

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Is Sami Vatanen bad now? How is he unsigned?

Injury, general ineffectiveness since leaving Anaheim (although he is still by far the best UFA defenseman on the market and there are more than enough teams who could use a guy like him), and he probably has interest but is just waiting for some teams to sort things out, just like Hoffman, Haula, etc.

I would not be shocked if Boston is a player in Vatanen once DeBrusk is sorted out. They had rumoured interest in Hoffman but I have a feeling that is only if DeBrusk's negotiations go south.

That really depends on Chara and how tight Boston is going to squeeze their budget though. They may also have some interest in Ghost if it means they can dump a guy like Moore.

Last edited:

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Of players still available, I would have thought the following are considered to be useful players and don't particularly have any clouds hanging over them (list isn't as long as I thought it'd be):

Mikael Granlund
Andy Greene
Ron Hainsey
Sami Vatanen
Carl Soderberg
Conor Sheary
Erik Haula
Derick Brassard

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Of players still available, I would have thought the following are considered to be useful players and don't particularly have any clouds hanging over them (list isn't as long as I thought it'd be):

Mikael Granlund
Andy Greene
Ron Hainsey
Sami Vatanen
Carl Soderberg
Conor Sheary
Erik Haula
Derick Brassard

If we could bring in 2 of Granlund/Haula/Soderberg near league minimum it would give us a tonne of options down the middle. Would even give you the option of moving Kerfoot to open up some cap space as well. I don't think we go this route but we'll see.

The rest of the guys I don't really have any interest in.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
If we could bring in 2 of Granlund/Haula/Soderberg near league minimum it would give us a tonne of options down the middle. Would even give you the option of moving Kerfoot to open up some cap space as well. I don't think we go this route but we'll see.

The rest of the guys I don't really have any interest in.

Not Hainsey if on a league minimum deal and no promise of starting every night? I'd love to add that depth to the right side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad