WJC: Tournament standouts and dissapointments so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Big fan of Zegras, Lafreniere, Ahlfeldt, Annunenm Seider.

Aatu Raty looks like a top-3 prospect for the 2021 draft. I love how he can keep the puck in tight spaces and use his size for advantage.

Hell I would say he has a good chance to be 1st overall.

He's gonna be a good one. Dont know the 2021 crop too well yet to have an opinion of a potential #1 pick but yeah, from what I've seen (limited viewings) he definately look like a superstar in the making.

AllIDoIsLie

Dec 21, 2019
Standouts? Can't tell. Neither of my fellow finns have made enough of an impression on me. The swedish dude with the michigan though.

Disappointment? Whole of team USA. Anyone willing to step on the ice with players like that, and who defend them, shows compete lack of sportsmanship.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
My standouts (full line-up)

Forwards: Zegras, Lafrenière & Stutzle

Defense: Seider, Romanov

Goalie: No real standout. They all had good and bad games.

Disappointments:

Forwards: Wahlstrom, Caufield & Byfield

Defense: Sandin, Byram

Goalie: Knight

Agree with all your picks but would added Annunen as standout goalie.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Living in Quebec and having to hear how Caufield is the second comming of Mike Bossy everyday I'd say his 0 goal as a 19 year old is prettt dissappointing ;)

Reactions: lindgren and 13to40

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
My standouts (full line-up)

Forwards: Zegras, Lafrenière & Stutzle

Defense: Seider, Romanov

Goalie: No real standout. They all had good and bad games.

Disappointments:

Forwards: Wahlstrom, Caufield & Byfield

Defense: Sandin, Byram

Goalie: Knight

I can see why those picks would be made. I just see talent oozing out of Byram however.

wacko2

Dec 28, 2019
various
Living in Quebec and having to hear how Caufield is the second comming of Mike Bossy everyday I'd say his 0 goal as a 19 year old is prettt dissappointing ;)

Struggled every game, lots of work to do if he's to become an NHL sniper.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Agree with all your picks but would added Annunen as standout goalie.

Yeah, you might be right. I thought he was pretty good but just like all other goalies, had some rough stretch.

I can see why those picks would be made. I just see talent oozing out of Byram however.

I totally agree. Same with Byfield. Last year Lafrenière was practically invisible on the ice. Both Byram and Byfield are eligible to play next year so I expect them to be dominant in 2021

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I'm guilty of not watching much of the tourney but have been watching highlights and reading online. Seems to me the Canucks have a gem in Hoglander from what I'm hearing but other then the highlights I don't know much. How has he been without the puck? With it I realize he's great.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I'm guilty of not watching much of the tourney but have been watching highlights and reading online. Seems to me the Canucks have a gem in Hoglander from what I'm hearing but other then the highlights I don't know much. How has he been without the puck? With it I realize he's great.
Unfortunately i think many highlights wont capture some of the little things he does with the puck and in puck battles.

Hes been great on the boards and in front of the net.

Last game he could have easily had 2 nice assists and a goal.

He creates, creates, creates.

Reactions: 82Ninety42011

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Unfortunately i think many highlights wont capture some of the little things he does with the puck and in puck battles.

Hes been great on the boards and in front of the net.

Last game he could have easily had 2 nice assists and a goal.

He creates, creates, creates.
A play making winger who can finish would be a dream for the Canucks if he pans out. Thanks for sharing and hopefully he keeps developing !

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018

Calling him a 19 year old seems so wrong to me especially considering his birthday just happened today

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Biggest surprise: Raty - I thought he would struggle more. Probably gonna end up better than Lafreniere

Disappointment - Beecher - He just could seem to produce any ounce of offense when I was paying attention to him.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
I dont agree, Seider has been far more impressive coming from a neutral point of view. His puck handingling, ability to run a pp combined with his defensive physical play and positioning has been outstanding. Romanov has been great but he doesnt bring the same physical element.
Soooo... you're clearly not watching Romanov then.

AllIDoIsLie

Dec 21, 2019
Calling him a 19 year old seems so wrong to me especially considering his birthday just happened today

He did suck though. Like the rest of the teams. Perhaps time to retire the skates, move to Vegas and become a low class prostitute?

They could give group discounts and use the profit to study hockey.

paragon

May 5, 2010
well Aaty Räty is the consensus 1AO 2021
If that's the case, then 2021 seems like a weak draft. I haven't been that impressed, but I guess it's a bit early.

Puistola and Maccelli have impressed me the most out of the Finnish skaters.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Victor Söderström for Sweden I think. ARI has an OEL replacement in the making there.

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
If that's the case, then 2021 seems like a weak draft. I haven't been that impressed, but I guess it's a bit early.

Well he is the only 2021 eligible prospect in this wjc. And draft - 2 players arent generally that good in this tournament anyway. Lafreniere had 1 point in 5 games, Barkov and McDavid both had 4 points in 7 games.

This isnt really a tournament for young players.

Reactions: KappoTheGoat

king89

Dec 4, 2018

Aatu Räty has been a good draft -2 player. So far one of the best finns in this tournament. He is a very complete player for his age, does everything well. But he also has that high offensive ceiling.

Last edited:

edmbrotha

May 14, 2019
Edmonton
Holland looking stupid af for taking Broberg over Zegras, Podkolzin, Soderstrom and Lavoie over Höglander and Fagemo. Pray to god each turn out but haven't been impressed with either so far.

Reactions: Leon Draisaitl

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki

Aatu is a double minor and gets very little ice time with no PP at all. He's still been very good though.

Reactions: king89
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad