WJC: Tournament standouts and dissapointments so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mildan

Jan 7, 2019
I agree with both sides: 21 draft class is weaker than your average and currently Aatu leads the group

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

Aatu Räty has played the lowest minutes in Team Finland and in 4th line every game and still looked like very good player, that is exactly the point.

I guess it is testament of Räty's abilities that you think he has gotten good opportunities.

This I just dont agree with. Despite not putting up the points against big teams, at least to me he has been very visible, again despite playing low minutes.

Never stated Räty having big role on this Finnish team but compared to Lafreniere last year who played 5 to 8 minute scraps each game without basically any PP time Räty had a lot more opportunities to show his talent. It’s all about context. To me visible player in a good way is impacting game positively nearly every shift. I only can see flashes here and there. Only couple to few against good countries which is understandable for a underager. I just don’t buy the story him lighting up in this tournament even as underager.

I’m a Finnish hockey fan and wish him all the best but i like to watch the games and find critiques rather than be in awe from everything he does. Right now i’m not impressed like some of the finnish posters here.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
How much Seider have you watched?

And how do you feel about this?

I’ve watched all his games except the relegation. I will admit those numbers are impressive. Playing time doesn’t necessarily mean as much if there are no better options, but to have not given up that much in that time is indeed quite impressive. Then again, I never said he was playing poorly. Just that Romanov was more impressive to me.

Reactions: Darkseider

MoeTheHobo

Jan 24, 2017
I actually think Aku Räty has played very well, especially as a 4th line scrub. The Räty's definitely have chemistry

Reactions: king89

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Most rankings, Bob Mackkenzie, Craig Button etc.

I don’t think McKenzie has said anything about the 2021 draft. Button has, and that’s one source. I don’t know how that makes it a consensus. I also think he’s one of the least reliable media pundits on prospects.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
That first line for sweden.
I can't name all the players. Fugamo and Hoglander and _________

But I am watching sweden's game, and these guys have the longest offensive zone shifts I have seen from a line in this tournament. They just put in that work consistently.
I took David Gustafsson in my pool. I can’t tell you how painful it is watching those other two rack up the points while he remains invisible. :laugh:

Great faceoffs, though.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
It's probably time for Broberg to have a good game soon. He's been mediocre at best. Björnfot as well.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
For Canada I've been disappointed with Bernard-Docker. I expected him to be much more reliable defensively and a better puck mover.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
In my humble opinion:

Best forward : Lafreniere, Hoglander, Zegras
Best defenseman : Romanov, Sandin, Seider
Best Goaltender: Annunen, Hofer

Of course, tomorrow's games could change all that.

Reactions: Anichels

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Got to be Hofer for standouts. If you look pre-tournament, barely anyone had him making the team let alone being the guy getting the nod for the Gold medal game. I remember I was one of the few people in the Canada threads saying he was the best goalie Canada had. And it was mostly because I had seen all the goalies played. Most people had Roddy and Jones.

For disappointment, I will say Askarov. He's played well at times. And he wasn't bad, but he sure as hell wasn't spectacular. I think this tournament, especially if he gets pushed out for tomorrow's game, will push him down the draft board come June. Not a lot, but I think he was seriously considered to be a top 7 pick, now I think he for sure drops out of the top 10 barring an amazing game tomorrow (if he even gets in) and continued success in Russia for the rest of the season.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
do you guys think Aebischer did well enough to get back into the ranking for the draft? he was passed last year but he seem much more developed than last year. would you throw a late round pick at him ?

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Got to be Hofer for standouts. If you look pre-tournament, barely anyone had him making the team let alone being the guy getting the nod for the Gold medal game. I remember I was one of the few people in the Canada threads saying he was the best goalie Canada had. And it was mostly because I had seen all the goalies played. Most people had Roddy and Jones.

For disappointment, I will say Askarov. He's played well at times. And he wasn't bad, but he sure as hell wasn't spectacular. I think this tournament, especially if he gets pushed out for tomorrow's game, will push him down the draft board come June. Not a lot, but I think he was seriously considered to be a top 7 pick, now I think he for sure drops out of the top 10 barring an amazing game tomorrow (if he even gets in) and continued success in Russia for the rest of the season.
Definitely agree with these picks. Hofer seemingly came out of nowhere to carry Canada to victory. We’ve had some spotty goaltending the last little while, so it was great to see a Canadian keeper come up big.

Askarov is the biggest disappointment of the tournament for me by a wide margin. It wasn’t just that he played well in the U18 tournaments, but that he looked so technically sound doing it. Over the past week and a half he looked jittery and was bouncing around all over the crease and just not tracking the puck well. It was as much a reversal of form as I’ve ever seen. This is certainly going to give scouts some second thoughts on draft day.

Two other guys that I thought were greatly disappointing were Byfield and Turcotte. Yes, they’re young and were probably not utilized in the way that would give them the most success, but I was still expecting MUCH more from them. Hopefully, we’ll see some good bounce backs from these guys in 2021.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
do you guys think Aebischer did well enough to get back into the ranking for the draft? he was passed last year but he seem much more developed than last year. would you throw a late round pick at him ?

With how good this draft is, I think he's a camp invite, free agent signing sort of like a Pachal from yesteryear. I really like Aebischer, but there are a few holes in his game, but I think they are workable. We'll see though!

The thing to remember is... this is a 19 year old tournament. A lot of times what we're witnessing here in the u20's, isn't necessarily a display of skill but just how big and important that 19 year old development year is. It's massive. The gap between 17/18-19 year olds is one of the biggest in mens hockey. And it's one where we see so much gains both in skill and body.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
With how good this draft is, I think he's a camp invite, free agent signing sort of like a Pachal from yesteryear. I really like Aebischer, but there are a few holes in his game, but I think they are workable. We'll see though!

The thing to remember is... this is a 19 year old tournament. A lot of times what we're witnessing here in the u20's, isn't necessarily a display of skill but just how big and important that 19 year old development year is. It's massive. The gap between 17/18-19 year olds is one of the biggest in mens hockey. And it's one where we see so much gains both in skill and body.

You can't say how good a draft is after round ~2-3. After that it becomes a crapshoot and teams just pick a name they think have a chance to become a player. This year is no different and frankly, i'm not sure the 1st round is anything special. Only takes 1/31 teams to like Aebischer for him to get drafted.

pled

Sep 7, 2009

I want to point out that even if Aebischer is 19, he pretty much just turned 19 and it's only his second draft year not third like Sokolov for example. which might be a bit in his favor

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Askarov is the biggest disappointment of the tournament for me by a wide margin. It wasn’t just that he played well in the U18 tournaments, but that he looked so technically sound doing it. Over the past week and a half he looked jittery and was bouncing around all over the crease and just not tracking the puck well. It was as much a reversal of form as I’ve ever seen. This is certainly going to give scouts some second thoughts on draft day.

You will not draft a goalie, because he had one good or bad tournament. You will draft goalie with potential to be in 5 years someone special. And Askarov could be that guy.

Reactions: wacko2

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
You will not draft a goalie, because he had one good or bad tournament. You will draft goalie with potential to be in 5 years someone special. And Askarov could be that guy.
But a bad tournament alters your forecast of his potential in 5 years. What seemed like a sure thing now gets downgraded to PROBABLY. Before this tournament he was being considered for a top 5 spot. Just not sure teams are quite as gung-ho on drafting him with a high pick as they were a month ago.

Reactions: wacko2

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Never stated Räty having big role on this Finnish team but compared to Lafreniere last year who played 5 to 8 minute scraps each game without basically any PP time Räty had a lot more opportunities to show his talent. It’s all about context. To me visible player in a good way is impacting game positively nearly every shift. I only can see flashes here and there. Only couple to few against good countries which is understandable for a underager. I just don’t buy the story him lighting up in this tournament even as underager.

I’m a Finnish hockey fan and wish him all the best but i like to watch the games and find critiques rather than be in awe from everything he does. Right now i’m not impressed like some of the finnish posters here.
he's gonna be there next year, and the next too. he'll do better then

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad